Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Poll: Battery holder - Are u worried about the battery falling out?
12Next >
5863 73 2018-1-28
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
spookster
Captain
Flight distance : 419649 ft
Germany

Since I read about cases where spark battery fell out of the aircraft during flight (mainly in sports mode) I would like to know how you handle this.
Are you aware of this at all?
Do you even care?
Did you buy one of these and if so do you always use them?

I don't have a battery holder yet, but definetly will get one in the near future.
Of course this only affects older batteries, I have two with smaller triangle nudges to hold and one with the bigger and sharper nudges.
I can surely say I don't trust those two affected batteries as much as I trust my third one.
Did anyone try to get the "affected" batteries replaced by DJI?
Single SelectVote, Total 200 people participate in voting
14.50% (29)
0.50% (1)
68.00% (136)
0.50% (1)
16.50% (33)
0.00% (0)
Your user group with no voting privileges
2018-1-28
Use props
spookster
Captain
Germany

Since number 3 was cutoff it is:  I plug in battery and check the hold by trying to pull it out without touching mechanism (a bit worried).
2018-1-28
Use props
FatherXmas
Captain
Flight distance : 4058619 ft
  • >>>
United States

spookster Posted at 2018-1-28 16:36
Since number 3 was cutoff it is:  I plug in battery and check the hold by trying to pull it out without touching mechanism (a bit worried).

That's exactly what I do.
2018-1-28
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13838848 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Nah, I ensure mine are totally secure before flight - no. 3 everytime
2018-1-28
Use props
"Maverick"1776
First Officer
Flight distance : 22123 ft
United States

#3. Check by pulling on battery before flying.
2018-1-28
Use props
Grmachine
Second Officer
United States

Not worried, both batteries click in tight and cannot be pulled out, I am a substantialy strong guy, and they are not coming out. Make sure you have the longer locking tabs, if you don't, you might want to buy the battery holders.
2018-1-28
Use props
fansde510068
lvl.3
United States

I always apply backward pressure to my battery before flight, just enough to know it’s in snug. I fly my craft around like a race drone the last minute of flight(when it’s open area and safe to do so) and have had no problems with the battery falling out. Yet *fingers crossed*
2018-1-28
Use props
BeastMaster_101
First Officer
Flight distance : 1082992 ft
Canada

I always push it in and wait to hear 2 clicks which means both sides have been secured
2018-1-28
Use props
Flighty
Captain
Flight distance : 1977175 ft
Croatia

I had many months of flying with no problem,, then next thing battery fell out, this after double checking the battery installation. Now off to the stores to buy a Battery Clamp. Worried!!
2018-1-28
Use props
xfirf_
First Officer
Flight distance : 194911 ft
Germany

I heard about this often here in the forum. But I have no issues or bad thoughts about my own batteries.
But I always attach them like DJI is recommending:
Push them inside with the thumbs while holding the drone on the backarms with the other fingers.
Afterwards try gently to remove them without touching the release-buttons.
2018-1-28
Use props
Malakai_UK
Captain
Flight distance : 536115 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I have three first gen batteries and one where it will click in and with a tug wont move but the clips are wearing out. Its not a matter of if they will fail, its when.

I have bought that locking clip because DJI's response to this issue is not to return the battery for repair or replacement but to wait for an accident, submit my logs and wait for an outcome. Shocking really but with the things I read on here I'm not that surprised.
2018-1-29
Use props
Gunship9
Captain
United States

I put a finger of one hand around a forward motor arm and two fingers on the battery then apply forward pressure to take pressure off the latches.  Then I pull the mechanism and release the battery.  Install wise, I click and make sure it feels securely installed.  No worries as the Spark is affordable to replace or repair.
2018-1-29
Use props
Vulcan-XH558
First Officer
Flight distance : 62054 ft
United Kingdom

#1 (I'd say somewhat concerned, but not out & out worried)

If I hear the double-click, then I'm good to go.  Also when I remove the battery, I hold it in place by lightly pushing it towards the front before releasing the catches, this saves any wear and tear on the catch over time.
2018-1-29
Use props
Madseason
lvl.3
United States

I usually check the (very) small plastic pieces on the battery before installing to make sure there is no damage to either side of battery. I then make sure I have a good lock when the battery is pushed in. I don't really like to pull on the battey because I fell that it could cause issues over time.
2018-1-29
Use props
m1n1s
Second Officer
Flight distance : 319915 ft
United Kingdom

there are a couple of decent battery clips here:

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2574130
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2740246

if you don't have a 3d printer then check your local newspaper for someone who can print one locally for you , typically should be had for under £5

i have flown both types without issue so far, simple to install in seconds and means you won't crash your bird in sports mode because the battery pops out

not seen the new batteries , can someone post a picture or a link to them?
2018-1-29
Use props
idbl_fanatic
Second Officer
Flight distance : 509741 ft
United States

You left out "I have a battery holder just to be safe"
2018-1-29
Use props
spookster
Captain
Germany

just in case for what?
2018-1-29
Use props
Vulcan-XH558
First Officer
Flight distance : 62054 ft
United Kingdom

m1n1s Posted at 2018-1-29 12:26

Great info’ thank you.There was a post showing the differences a short while back.
I would try to find it, but this forum is absolutely the worst I’ve ever had to navigate around.
2018-1-29
Use props
idbl_fanatic
Second Officer
Flight distance : 509741 ft
United States

Sorry....corrected, I meant just to be safe
2018-1-29
Use props
spookster
Captain
Germany

m1n1s Posted at 2018-1-29 12:26

I saw a picture of the comparison on the forum once but could not find it.
So I made a comparison photo just for you.
I guess you can see which one is new design and which one is old one:

2018-1-29
Use props
m1n1s
Second Officer
United Kingdom

spookster Posted at 2018-1-29 14:11
I saw a picture of the comparison on the forum once but could not find it.
I guess you can see which one is new design and which one is old one:

interesting , will allow for a bit more wear before ejecting

thanks for the pictures
2018-1-30
Use props
Sparky_17
Captain
Flight distance : 62349 ft
Canada

lI'm not worried about my battery falling out.  i make sure i hear the click and then pull it back to make sure it's locked in.  So far so good
2018-1-30
Use props
Sparky_17
Captain
Flight distance : 62349 ft
Canada

spookster Posted at 2018-1-29 14:11
I saw a picture of the comparison on the forum once but could not find it.
I guess you can see which one is new design and which one is old one:

Thanks for sharing the pic, I don't see much of a difference.
2018-1-30
Use props
fansa6d9d300
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Interesting indeed! i have 3 batteries in total. 1 of July and the other 2 with Septembers 2017 production date.
its was stated on a previous thread that September was the new line but all of mine appear to be like the 1 in the top photo.
2018-1-30
Use props
spookster
Captain
Germany

You also feel the difference when inserting the battery, it clicks in really tight.
2018-1-30
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

spookster Posted at 2018-1-28 16:36

That seems sensible.
2018-1-30
Use props
heliman
First Officer
Denmark

I have the old battery type. No problems. No wear signs.
I think pulling the battery out by the release sliders may stress the latches, so I hold the battery in place, pull the sliders, and then take the battery out.
Probably as gunship9 said.
2018-1-31
Use props
CabinPete
lvl.4
Flight distance : 98 ft
United States

So DJI updated the battery retention clips and no recall for replacement.
Usually the reason to redesign something is do to a known issue, interesting.
2018-1-31
Use props
Flighty
Captain
Croatia

fansa6d9d300 Posted at 2018-1-30 05:53
Interesting indeed! i have 3 batteries in total. 1 of July and the other 2 with Septembers 2017 production date.
its was stated on a previous thread that September was the new line but all of mine appear to be like the 1 in the top photo.

I would be concerned about the battery from 1st July,,
2018-1-31
Use props
m1n1s
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Flighty Posted at 2018-1-31 11:37
I would be concerned about the battery from 1st July,,

@Flighty : which battery type fell out of your bird?

all my six batteries are the old type.
2018-1-31
Use props
Flighty
Captain
Croatia

m1n1s Posted at 2018-1-31 13:15
@Flighty : which battery type fell out of your bird?

all my six batteries are the old type.

Was one of the old type that I received with the Drone in July 2017. I purchase additional in October and they had the stronger clip!.
2018-1-31
Use props
DylanR2011
lvl.3
Flight distance : 148596 ft
United States

I'm not too worried about a battery falling out. I am pretty careful when i remove a battery and don't just pull it off the spark. I hold the drone at a 45 degree angle upside down holding the battery around the center with the battery facing me then pull the clips. So they disengage and I can safely remove the battery not parallel to the drone but perpendicular to the drone once unlatched. That way there isn't any chance the clips are wearing and hitting against the rest of the unit therefore reducing the risk of breaking a clip at all. Also once I do have a few more batteries the bigger clips definitely are an improvement to making sure it doesn't fall out too.
2018-2-1
Use props
FlyinMajic2day
lvl.4
Flight distance : 361552 ft
United States

A CW Posted at 2018-1-28 16:50
Nah, I ensure mine are totally secure before flight - no. 3 everytime

This^^^^^^^^^
2018-3-5
Use props
davidmartingraf
Captain
Flight distance : 84805085 ft
  • >>>
United States

I guess it all comes down to how many miles you have flown? How many do you think seems starting to get up there in total amount? Thanks!
2018-3-5
Use props
Joller79 DK
First Officer
Flight distance : 26447 ft
Denmark

Bought 2 of those clips, used them once, but not for my last 20 flights or so... I just give my battery a firm pull, holding the drone and battery in seperate hands.... Other people just let the thing hang from battery... So i might be more rough on it.. But hey.. Better safe then sorry. IMO a better 3.rd party upgrade is the propguards with landing gear on them.. Just ditch the guards, and you got legs that rise you spark up from the ground and debree... Plus protecting your gimbal.
2018-5-12
Use props
Just another drone guy
lvl.4
Flight distance : 875499 ft
Canada

once i heard about this i started to back away from this product, so instead i got a phantom 3 s, then a mavic pro
2018-5-12
Use props
nmac
First Officer
Flight distance : 256 ft

Hey, if battery falls out the drone will be near by instead of flying off as many have said.  my spark is good and batterys also and never had a battery problem but do seem to have the newer ones.
2018-5-13
Use props
Aurelian (Spark)
Captain
Flight distance : 903350 ft
  • >>>
Spain

Number 3, no worries.
2018-5-13
Use props
INTERAVE
lvl.3
Flight distance : 21079 ft
United States

I went to my Father-in Law's house on Saturday to show him my Spark, as he has a much more expensive DJI PHANTOM 4, and let him try it out. As he takes off he is about 15 feet up and the battery just falls off and my Spark just falls helplessly to the ground. Thank God he wasnt that high and that my SPARK was flying over grass otherwise it would have been destroyed. The only damage was a cracked propeller. I went home and bought a battery clamp off of Ebay. I am not sure if DJI has any kind of recall on this so if anyone knows please let me know because this is definitely a design flaw and can lead to an epic failure during flight.
2018-5-14
Use props
djiuser_r7UZPq8bsyyf
lvl.3
Flight distance : 51893 ft

#3 for me, I make sure to hear 2 clicks and pull on battery. Working for me so far.
2018-5-14
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules