Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Mavic Air Range Thread - Post your results
123Next >
23867 80 2018-1-28
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
joe_gadget
Second Officer

Australia

Curious - wide open space in Japan but only half the range compared to Europe. Did you ever get to try 5.8Ghz in Japan?
2018-1-30
Use props
paulco
lvl.1
Flight distance : 486211 ft
United Kingdom

QuadKid Posted at 2018-1-28 17:14
Good Idea, I would also be curious as to how it will handle the wind.

I was reluctant to fly it yesterday in what must've been 30mph gusts but - in the name of science - I did and it flew brilliantly. Super stable. It was being buffetted around but the control was spot on and the footage stable.  
2018-2-2
Use props
eYeSkYeYe
Captain

United States

Wachtberger Posted at 2018-1-29 05:29
I fully agree. It is a legal requirement to always fly in VLOS.

Nope.... some legislatives allow for special cases, especially if you are PPL holder. Paperwork is a lot of work and waiting, but there are options for BVLOS flights.
2018-2-2
Use props
Wachtberger
Captain
Flight distance : 261509 ft
Germany

dari_017 Posted at 2018-1-30 08:09
Flying around my neighborhood for the first time on Saturday I went as far as 3937 ft ( 1200 meters )  before RTH was initiated automatically, I lost video feed and a couple seconds later RTH. The Air was on the 2.4Ghz band all the time, so far it does not switch automatically like the Spark does but I found how to switch it manually to 5.8. I'm planning on flying in an open area today in the middle of nowhere and will push it's limits using 2.4 and 5.8 to see the differences.

Video feed was decent until the end with an occasional stutter  that started at about 1968 ft ( 600 meters ) this was in a very congested urban area and of course under FCC ( USA )

How do you switch the band manually?
2018-2-2
Use props
dari_017
First Officer
Flight distance : 6016004 ft
  • >>>
United States

Wachtberger Posted at 2018-2-2 03:41
How do you switch the band manually?

I saw you on the other forum where I was trying to help the guy inn Thailand, the way I do it is by going into wi-fi settings , then custom and then in the graphic that shoes the channels drag the screen to the right and pick one of the 100's channel and those are 5.8. But based on what I'm seeing it seems this bands are not available if you fly in CE mode seeing you are having the same problem as the guy in Thailand, plus I saw someone else in Europe with the same problem.
Here are some screenshots of what 'm talking about
2018-2-2
Use props
Wachtberger
Captain
Germany

dari_017 Posted at 2018-2-2 08:23
I saw you on the other forum where I was trying to help the guy inn Thailand, the way I do it is by going into wi-fi settings , then custom and then in the graphic that shoes the channels drag the screen to the right and pick one of the 100's channel and those are 5.8. But based on what I'm seeing it seems this bands are not available if you fly in CE mode seeing you are having the same problem as the guy in Thailand, plus I saw someone else in Europe with the same problem.
Here are some screenshots of what 'm talking about[view_image][view_image]

Thank you very much, I'll check that. I was not aware that it is possible to drag the screen.
2018-2-2
Use props
dari_017
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Wachtberger Posted at 2018-2-2 08:45
Thank you very much, I'll check that. I was not aware that it is possible to drag the screen.

No problem , and i'm glad you finally got you MA delivered, is a good thing that in the end they did not loose the package . Congrats !
2018-2-2
Use props
dari_017
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

In another note I got 3000m the other day in an open space flying on the 5.8 band  . Video was great , I could've continued but the battery was getting low because it was windy. This thing eats batteries like crazy when flying against the wind .
2018-2-2
Use props
Wachtberger
Captain
Germany

dari_017 Posted at 2018-2-2 08:51
No problem , and i'm glad you finally got you MA delivered, is a good thing that in the end they did not loose the package . Congrats !

Thanks a lot, it's such a great device! :-)
2018-2-2
Use props
dari_017
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Wachtberger Posted at 2018-2-2 09:47
Thanks a lot, it's such a great device! :-)

Are you able to see the 5.8 bands on yours ?
2018-2-2
Use props
Wachtberger
Captain
Germany

dari_017 Posted at 2018-2-2 09:56
Are you able to see the 5.8 bands on yours ?

So far not but I have a suspicion. I shall test that in a short while and report back.
2018-2-2
Use props
exeswiss
lvl.1
Flight distance : 66841 ft
Austria

I have the Mavic Air now for a few days and wanted to see if in EU-Mode can reach the specification of 2km.

Here is my report in German -> https://exeswiss.ch/2018/02/dji-mavic-air-erster-eindruck/

And my Rangetest. And yes, she can reach the 2km.
2018-2-4
Use props
fansd8cc4f88
lvl.4
Flight distance : 166289 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

exeswiss Posted at 2018-2-4 08:44
I have the Mavic Air now for a few days and wanted to see if in EU-Mode can reach the specification of 2km.

Here is my report in German -> https://exeswiss.ch/2018/02/dji-mavic-air-erster-eindruck/

Pretty amazing, did not think it would go beyond 1.5km in Europe..,
2018-2-5
Use props
drown84
Flight distance : 176312 ft
United States

Here is my quick range test I did. This was flying against 10-15mph winds, so I maxed out the battery before I lost any signal at about 2.2 miles out. Probably could have gone a bit further, but didnt want to push it on this first range test.

2018-2-6
Use props
Acenspades
lvl.4
United States

Had line of sight, antennas at a 45 degree angle, and it only went 650m when it lost the video feed.  Could it be that there were 3 other DJI drones flying in the area at the same time? i dont' know but i will test it out again this weekend.
2018-2-6
Use props
Surge
lvl.1
Flight distance : 48944 ft

dari_017 Posted at 2018-2-2 09:56
Are you able to see the 5.8 bands on yours ?

So what did you find?
I do not see the 5.8 band and do not see channel 11 or 13 in 2.4.

I only get a max of 1000m of range in moderately congested areas.

I am thinking of returning the Air because tech support can’t seem to tell me how to enable WiFi channels above 10.
2018-5-1
Use props
Richie345
lvl.1
Cayman Islands

I've had my MA for about two weeks now and have been experiencing the same range problems. It has now been two days since I have fixed the issue.

From my understanding, the MA firmware cannot communicate with the GPS on an iPhone and the MA is not able to register what country you're in, to determine whether to use FCC or CE mode, so it automatically puts the MA in a safe mode, which limits the distance you can go. To fix this issue, you need to use an android device. Download the DJI app, ensure your GPS and location services are on and connect to your RC and MA. Depending on the country you are in you will get a notification relating to FCC or CE mode. If you are in the USA, your MA will be in FCC mode, if not, more than likely CE mode. By this point, your MA's max distance should increase dramatically.

Now, if your MA automatically goes to CE mode based on your location and you would like to have it in FCC mode, you will need to download a fake GPS app which makes your Android device's GPS believe you are in a different jurisdiction. Once downloaded, choose any location in the USA and proceed to connect your Android device to your RC and MA, your MA should be in FCC mode.

I hope this helps people out there. Once you accomplish this, the MA is a fantastic drone. Do not jump the gun and return your MA  just yet.
2018-5-2
Use props
LOKY
Second Officer
Flight distance : 22359 ft

Richie345 Posted at 2018-5-2 07:18
I've had my MA for about two weeks now and have been experiencing the same range problems. It has now been two days since I have fixed the issue.

From my understanding, the MA firmware cannot communicate with the GPS on an iPhone and the MA is not able to register what country you're in, to determine whether to use FCC or CE mode, so it automatically puts the MA in a safe mode, which limits the distance you can go. To fix this issue, you need to use an android device. Download the DJI app, ensure your GPS and location services are on and connect to your RC and MA. Depending on the country you are in you will get a notification relating to FCC or CE mode. If you are in the USA, your MA will be in FCC mode, if not, more than likely CE mode. By this point, your MA's max distance should increase dramatically.

Richie,

A little puzzle here. The MA by itself of course, knows the coordinates , i.e. knows where it is, why we need to have the MA communicate with the iPhone GPS to get the country location?

Regards,
2018-5-2
Use props
Surge
lvl.1
Flight distance : 48944 ft

LOKY Posted at 2018-5-2 09:56
Richie,

A little puzzle here. The MA by itself of course, knows the coordinates , i.e. knows where it is, why we need to have the MA communicate with the iPhone GPS to get the country location?

I actually don’t think the MA has on board GPS. I don’t even think the controller has it. It relies on the smartphone to get its GPS signal. I could be wrong... but it makes sense.

I tried with an Android device, and I couldn’t connect to the MA. I don’t have another Android device to try. Clearly, this is not a reasonable fix - to need an Android device for use with an iPhone!
2018-5-2
Use props
GDL
First Officer
Flight distance : 2768694 ft
Singapore

Is that usable to fly 2km or over? How long you can stay there before battery too low to return?
2018-5-2
Use props
Bokepacha
Second Officer
Flight distance : 149265 ft
Netherlands

What do you guys use to record your phone screen?
2018-5-2
Use props
asaw
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1672566 ft
Russia

Surge Posted at 2018-5-2 20:07
I actually don’t think the MA has on board GPS. I don’t even think the controller has it. It relies on the smartphone to get its GPS signal. I could be wrong... but it makes sense.

I tried with an Android device, and I couldn’t connect to the MA. I don’t have another Android device to try. Clearly, this is not a reasonable fix - to need an Android device for use with an iPhone!

The MA does have its own onboard GPS/GLONASS receiver. It is essential for stabilizing the drone when visual stabilization is not possible (that is, most of the time). But the way it switches between different WiFI settings is by aking DJI GO 4 (which in turn queries the phone for location). iPhone owners say elsewhere that the issue was fixed in the latest version of DJI GO 4 for iOS.
2018-5-3
Use props
Robothamster
lvl.4
Flight distance : 51135 ft
United Kingdom

The Air itself has GPS for flight, but it's the remote that takes the GPS location from the mobile device to determine if you're in a FCC or CE location, and alters the transmit power accordingly.
2018-5-3
Use props
LOKY
Second Officer
Flight distance : 22359 ft

Robothamster Posted at 2018-5-3 02:50
The Air itself has GPS for flight, but it's the remote that takes the GPS location from the mobile device to determine if you're in a FCC or CE location, and alters the transmit power accordingly.

That is totally weird. So , no one was able to use , for example, an iPad that doesn't have a GPS? Doesn't make sense at all, at least for me, since the Drone has it own GPS to rely on an external device to get the information to switch from one mode to another.
2018-5-3
Use props
Robothamster
lvl.4
Flight distance : 51135 ft
United Kingdom

LOKY Posted at 2018-5-3 07:47
That is totally weird. So , no one was able to use , for example, an iPad that doesn't have a GPS? Doesn't make sense at all, at least for me, since the Drone has it own GPS to rely on an external device to get the information to switch from one mode to another.

That's a good point about an iPad with no GPS.

Maybe a DJI representative can confirm?
2018-5-3
Use props
JEZ2
First Officer
Flight distance : 336204 ft
United States

Ipads without GPS still provide locations services to the app.  They just aren't as accurate, but use other means - such as database of wifi signals (even ones you are not connected to) to determine the approximate location.

We know that the app is giving the region to the remote for power levels based upon the now fixed ios bug.
2018-5-3
Use props
Bluehook
First Officer
Flight distance : 790814 ft
United States

I flew 1.2 miles in 2.4 GHz before losing connection in a densely populated, urban-suburban area, a few miles from New York City from the top of a hill, near an active cell tower.
Never lost VLOS.

Tried the same route in 5.8 GHz and went 1.1 miles.

Airplane mode makes no difference.

I don't know if there is any science to this, but concerning signal and distance, some days seem better than others.

2018-5-3
Use props
GDL
First Officer
Flight distance : 2768694 ft
Singapore

The KP index too high may affect radio signal. You can check KP index with Hover App.
2018-5-3
Use props
DJI P5
lvl.4
Flight distance : 59610 ft
Singapore

Can't fly more than 300m, with choppy video feed it all because of using enhanced WiFi
2018-5-3
Use props
dari_017
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Surge Posted at 2018-5-1 17:41
So what did you find?

Hello,

Depending on what country you are , your drone has to be either on FCC or CE mode , but watchberger said his was in another mode , like a safe mode , and that's why he couldn't see the 5.8 band or channels 11 and 13 . I'll have to look around and see what the procedure is to check on the drone's current mode and on how to revert it. I'll post it here as soon as i find it.
2018-5-4
Use props
dari_017
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Wachtberger Posted at 2018-2-2 12:22
So far not but I have a suspicion. I shall test that in a short while and report back.

Hey Wachtberger , how are you doing , long time no talk !
Anyways remember when you told me , you could not see the 5.8 GHz on your drone, because it came set in a weird mode , what was the mode, and how did you reverted it back to CE or FCC, someone here on this thread, replied back to one of my comments ,from when we both got our airs back in February, and I saw the other thread where you posted the solution, but I couldn't find it now. It seems he is having the same problem you had.
2018-5-4
Use props
Wachtberger
Captain

dari_017 Posted at 2018-5-4 10:28
Hey Wachtberger , how are you doing , long time no talk !
Anyways remember when you told me , you could not see the 5.8 GHz on your drone, because it came set in a weird mode , what was the mode, and how did you reverted it back to CE or FCC, someone here on this thread, replied back to one of my comments ,from when we both got our airs back in February, and I saw the other thread where you posted the solution, but I couldn't find it now. It seems he is having the same problem you had.

Hi again! My MA was delivered in MIC mode which appears to be limited to a few Asian countries. iOS users with the now previous version of DJI GO 4 apparently could not switch to their region. The very latest iOS version of DJI GO 4 from about two or three days ago has solved this problem.
2018-5-4
Use props
dari_017
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Wachtberger Posted at 2018-5-4 11:18
Hi again! My MA was delivered in MIC mode which appears to be limited to a few Asian countries. iOS users with the now previous version of DJI GO 4 apparently could not switch to their region. The very latest iOS version of DJI GO 4 from about two or three days ago has solved this problem.

Right MIC mode , that’s what it was , I couldn’t remember from when you told me , what about if you are on Android ? I ask because I don’t know what OS this guy is using , until he replies me back?
2018-5-4
Use props
dari_017
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Surge Posted at 2018-5-1 17:41
So what did you find?

Take a look on this thread , I think this should help you https://forum.dji.com/thread-132807-1-1.html
2018-5-4
Use props
Wachtberger
Captain

dari_017 Posted at 2018-5-4 15:39
Right MIC mode , that’s what it was , I couldn’t remember from when you told me , what about if you are on Android ? I ask because I don’t know what OS this guy is using , until he replies me back?

The Android GO 4 version did not have this problem from what I have read here.
2018-5-5
Use props
dari_017
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Wachtberger Posted at 2018-5-5 00:29
The Android GO 4 version did not have this problem from what I have read here.

Ah ok, thank you for your help.
2018-5-5
Use props
alonzowest
lvl.4
Flight distance : 40938 ft
  • >>>

get the mavic pro, you will be happier. the range is very similar to the p3s imo. i quickly returned the p3s because of the range and got the p3a. however I am happy with this mavic air, simply because of the size! but somtimes i wish i got the mavic pro. i still own the p3a so if i need to fly farther i could use that.
2018-5-5
Use props
Ovi 1
First Officer
Flight distance : 351545 ft

10150 feet today no issues
2018-5-5
Use props
nik1975
First Officer
Flight distance : 6300833 ft
  • >>>
Switzerland

I fly yesterday 4100 meters
2018-7-1
Use props
Scottbor
lvl.1
Flight distance : 280226 ft
Australia

Hey all,
So I went out into the middle of nowhere to try get a range test.
I did 2 flights this is the first.
Location is very flat, minimal tree coverage. Mostly plowed farm land.
There was a very slight breeze, but barely worth mentioning.
For those who know country NSW, It was along the highway between Gunnedah and Quirindi.
Closest town was approx 50km.
I had phone coverage, but just 1 bar on iPhone, so any sort of signal interference was minimal.
So I flew out and did a return flight. Got out to just over 4000m before I decided to turn back. Made it back with 33 secs left on battery.
I forgot to turn it to sport mode until 37s... D’oh... so much to remember... lol

The second flight, because it was so flat and open, I decided to do a one way distance run. Now, sometimes I’m not the sharpest tool in the shed...
So I took off and flew out and on and on and on.
I get out and then start getting warnings that it’s time to return to home... ignoring that, I keep going. Video link and controls are still good.
So at the furthest point from me, 7215.1m, I lose video. I try and drop altitude and the MA disconnects from the controller.
Just before disconnect, RTH message popped up on screen. I try to land but then I don’t know what’s happening as I have no connection any longer.
I jumped in the car and went to look where I thought it’d be, but after searching for over an hour, the sun sets and I have to leave. I got back to my hotel and uploaded the flight data to Mavic Pilots forum, asking for help...long story(I know, I know) short, Sar104 is a legend and he plotted where it should be... went out the next morning and it was 10m from where he said. So happy to get it back after that. (I was searching over 1km away the evening before).

Forgot to say... Stock Mavic Air... no mods.
2018-10-16
Use props
123Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules