Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
PROPER EXPOSURE
3948 3 2018-1-28
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
mixchief
First Officer
Flight distance : 182057 ft
  • >>>
United States

Considering that you are using a LUT in post when cutting in Dlog or Cinelike what is the best exposure, do you still follow the histogram or is there a different way to approach exposure when cutting in thase modes. I find that when I use "traditional" exposure methods THE DJI X5 LUTs and those of other publishers seem a little dark and extreme , is this the nature of them so you can adjust down instead of "up"? I love the LUTs I've found but I'm still learning to understand the best way to use them in conjunction with DLog and/or Movielike, I find it tough to gauge where I am monitoring without the benefit of a LUT on the transmitted video.
2018-1-28
Use props
mixchief
First Officer
Flight distance : 182057 ft
  • >>>
United States

Anyone with knowledge?
2018-1-30
Use props
justIsaac
lvl.1
Flight distance : 564186 ft
Dominican Republic

When shooting Dlog you should overexpose and look at the histogram so most of the image is to the right side of it.
2018-3-16
Use props
Rob W
Captain
Flight distance : 94390 ft
  • >>>
Sweden

I do just what JustIsaac wrote, "Exposing to the Right" also shortened to "ETTR". When using ETTR you slightly overexpose the image, and in post processing you darken the image. This tends to lead to less noise in darker areas. Be sure to not overexpose so you clip the highlights, though!

ETTR is good to use under most conditions, but not every condition. For instance, if you just shoot a JPG image - there is no real point of using ETTR. If you also shoot with a high ISO value in an dark environment, let's say ISO 1600, it is already noisy so ETTR would not benefit much.

A LUT is not a single-stop solution, look at it as a help of achieving a look. You have to balance it to fit your shot.
2018-3-16
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules