Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Near flyaway (compass error)
1391 14 2018-1-28
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
KurtVD
Second Officer
Flight distance : 365299 ft
Switzerland

Hi,
my Spark has the latest firmware 01.00.0900, DJI GO v 4.2.4 (iPhone 7 and iOS11.2.2), batteries and RC are also up-to-date, and just over 3 hrs of flight time.

Yesterday I had an experience that reminded me of some of the posts I have read here, usually they end with a lost drone (not in my case, luckily). I was flying for about 5-7 minutes with no problems whatsoever, in an open field with nothing nearby, just having fun, not recording. When I decided to bring it back and land it, it started "acting out" when it was pretty close, about 20-30 meters from me: all of a sudden, it flew over me and away from me at full speed. Of course I brought it back, but everytime when I released the stick on the RC, the aircraft would start flying away at full speed in a random direction again (I could clearly see it tilt and speed up). This happened about 3 or 4 times until I realised what it was doing and gained some control over it, and all of a sudden it reacted normally again, so I quickly brought it down and landed it. Once it was on the ground, I got error messages about the compass and IMU, but not while it was in the air. I was lucky that it was just high enough when it was doing its thing, otherwise it could easily have smashed into a tree.
Since I was standing near a farmer's shed with a large concrete structure, I thought I had experienced magnetic interference, so I went for a test flight to a place where I have been dozens of times, and the same thing happened again. Now I'm not sure if I dare flying again...

My question is: Is there a chance that my Spark's compass and/or IMU are faulty? It is still under warranty, how would I proceed to find out? I don't wanna lose it to confirm the problem...

Plus I have an observation: Several people have observed their Spark flying away in a random direction, at full speed, and there was no explanation for it. After what happened today, I have a theory: Maybe the module that controls the motors is receiving erratic navigation data (compass, GPS, IMU). Of course there's a failsafe and the AC is supposed to go into ATTI mode when that happens, but my theory is that there's an error somewhere and in certain circumstances, the software doesn't "know" yet that the navigation data has become erratic, so it is still being used to control the aircraft's speed and direction. Then it would "make sense" that it speeds of in a random direction.
2018-1-28
Use props
Wachtberger
Captain
Flight distance : 261509 ft
Germany

Thank you for your report. I would suggest you open a support case with DJI and let them analyze your blackbox data: https://www.dji.com/support
This is clearly abnormal behaviour of the Spark and needs to be solved.
2018-1-28
Use props
KurtVD
Second Officer
Switzerland

Wachtberger Posted at 2018-1-28 23:04
Thank you for your report. I would suggest you open a support case with DJI and let them analyze your blackbox data: https://www.dji.com/support
This is clearly abnormal behaviour of the Spark and needs to be solved.

Thank you for your answer.

I've used the Blackbox data function on my computer, and now I have number of .log files. Are these the files that they need?
2018-1-28
Use props
Wachtberger
Captain
Germany

KurtVD Posted at 2018-1-28 23:19
Thank you for your answer.

I've used the Blackbox data function on my computer, and now I have number of .log files. Are these the files that they need?

Once you have opened your support case they will tell you what exactly they need. I didn't have a case yet myself and therefore don't know further details.
2018-1-28
Use props
KurtVD
Second Officer
Switzerland

Wachtberger Posted at 2018-1-28 23:45
Once you have opened your support case they will tell you what exactly they need. I didn't have a case yet myself and therefore don't know further details.

They didn't need anything so far, DJI Support got back to me and told me to calibrate the IMU and then the compass (Main Controller Settings > Sensors). It makes sense in my case, since I did have IMU and compass errors, even if they were displayed after having landed. Hopefully this fixes the problem, but I probably won't be able to go out and test very soon, the weather is not very good these days...
2018-2-1
Use props
Wachtberger
Captain
Germany

KurtVD Posted at 2018-2-1 05:55
They didn't need anything so far, DJI Support got back to me and told me to calibrate the IMU and then the compass (Main Controller Settings > Sensors). It makes sense in my case, since I did have IMU and compass errors, even if they were displayed after having landed. Hopefully this fixes the problem, but I probably won't be able to go out and test very soon, the weather is not very good these days...

I cross my fingers that all will be well for your nest flight!
2018-2-1
Use props
Gunship9
Captain
United States

Was it cold there?  I wonder if the Spark's IMU didn't have any feeling for the aircraft moving.  Full tilt and accelerating feeling the same as holding a motionless hover.  Accelerometers acting all wonky.  
2018-2-1
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13838848 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Fingers crossed on a quick fix
2018-2-1
Use props
KurtVD
Second Officer
Switzerland

A CW Posted at 2018-2-1 15:33
Fingers crossed on a quick fix

I had completely forgotten about the IMU calibration since the unboxing of my Spark two months ago, so there is some hope.

In response to Gunship9, it was cold, but not too cold (almost 10 C and sunny).
2018-2-1
Use props
A CW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

KurtVD Posted at 2018-2-1 18:04
I had completely forgotten about the IMU calibration since the unboxing of my Spark two months ago, so there is some hope.

In response to Gunship9, it was cold, but not too cold (almost 10 C and sunny).

Best to read over the manual again
2018-2-1
Use props
KurtVD
Second Officer
Switzerland

A CW Posted at 2018-2-1 23:39
Best to read over the manual again

Read the manual? You mean there's one out there??

Just joking
2018-2-2
Use props
A CW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

KurtVD Posted at 2018-2-2 00:28
Read the manual? You mean there's one out there??

Just joking

Hahahahaha - no idea ;)
2018-2-2
Use props
ktsummey
lvl.1
Flight distance : 64491 ft
United States

There are a lot of people having the same issue. Check out UAVFlyaways.com

It's a new site keeping track of fly away issues with a news sharing blog.
2018-2-20
Use props
KurtVD
Second Officer
Switzerland

ktsummey Posted at 2018-2-20 15:43
There are a lot of people having the same issue. Check out UAVFlyaways.com

It's a new site keeping track of fly away issues with a news sharing blog.

Thank you, although I didn't have any problems since then. I know check (and calibrate if necessary) the IMU and especially the compass every time before take off, which seems to have done the trick.
2018-2-20
Use props
Hfarahany
lvl.1
Norway

KurtVD Posted at 2018-2-20 17:14
Thank you, although I didn't have any problems since then. I know check (and calibrate if necessary) the IMU and especially the compass every time before take off, which seems to have done the trick.

I have exactly the same problem, when I downloaded the flight details using DJI assistance, observed a lot of sensor troubles!
Calibration didn't help and neither trouble shooting through DJI online support!
The conclusion was to return the AC for repair!
see the tread:
https://forum.dji.com/forum.php? ... p;page=1#pid1212927
2018-2-21
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules