7249 9 2018-1-29
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
YOYOMAN
lvl.4
Flight distance : 676260 ft
Réunion

Hi,

I make all my videos with ND filter. I can easly switch between ND8 or 16 or 32 to find the best image I need.
I've tried Polarizing Filter but since it is Circular, it become really difficult to find the right angle to use polarization.
I use CrystalSky so I can use my screen to help, but I don't how find the right angle of the filter.

Could you please share experiences, tutorials, etc. to help me ?

thanks

2018-1-29
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

It's not easy to use a polariser with a drone because the filter polarisation has to be aligned relative to the sun.
If you set it on the ground but turn the drone left or right in flight, the filter will not be aligned correctly.
Polarisers are much better suited to use on the ground than on a drone.
2018-1-29
Use props
Nigel_
Second Officer
Flight distance : 388642 ft
United Kingdom

There is only one sensible angle to set it to on a drone, and that is perfectly vertical so that it blocks all horizontally polarised light.  Reflections off water are always horizontally polarised (doesn't matter where the sun is).  The amount they are polarised by varies with angle, so having set the polariser to vertical, you then need to adjust the drone's height to get the best angle to remove the reflections, roughly 45 degrees, or if you want to be technical look up Brewsters Angle and note that the exact figure depends on the type of water and on how flat the water is!

If you are trying to affect the sky rather than water reflections then there isn't a good angle to choose since that will depend on where the sun is relative to the drone, but again on average, vertical is likely to give a more balanced image than other angles.

If you are trying to affect the grass, then vertical is probably best, although it wont have much affect unless you are looking towards the sun, and then you probably wont have a good image anyway.

The easiest way to set the polariser to vertical, if vertical is not marked, is to put the drone in front of an LCD TV and set it so that the TV image is completely blocked when the TV is rotated 90 degrees.  (Normally you would rotate the camera 90 degrees but that doesn't work on a Phantom due to the gimbal!) You can also look through it by eye and then mark the vertical position rather than turn your TV on its side, but make sure you look through it from the camera side, not from the front.  Note that it must be a normal TV and not a 3D TV, computer monitors are often polarised the wrong way and tablets and phones are normally polarised at 45 degrees in one direction or the other.  Also note that even if the polariser does have a factory mark on it, the mark is often placed randomly rather than at the vertical point so best to check and put your own mark in the right place.  If you are not sure about your TV or want to use a monitor then check it with polarised sunglasses, they are always polarised vertically for the same reasons you want to set your filter to vertical, you want your filter to have the same effect as the sunglasses.  Note that TVs are always polarised vertically so that you can see them properly while wearing polarised glasses, phones and tablets are at 45 degrees so that you can use them horizontally or vertically while wearing sunglasses, although they will only be at half brightness either way.
2018-1-29
Use props
Aerial-Image
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1452408 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Ditto - top to bottom - vertical - i use these on both my drones to great results even though they are film - sorry PolarPro - their polorizer is marked top/bottom -

http://www.phantomfilters.bigcar ... ofessional-advanced

http://www.phantomfilters.bigcar ... s-for-dji-phantom-4

Simon - http://www.aerial-image.co.uk
2018-1-29
Use props
Steve Og
lvl.3
Flight distance : 938258 ft
United States

One of the challenges using a circular polarizer is that 'pizza slice' of darker sky when used on a wide-angle lens such as those found on the DJI Phantom drones.  I don't want that 'pizza slice' of darker sky in my shots. But I do have the Polar Pro series of ND/Polarizer filters and hardly fly without them. If I'm shooting with a lot of sky visible and I'm filming at right angles to the sun, I'll rotate the polarizer to minimize the effect (using it for the ND aspect). On the other hand,  if the camera is angled down and the amount of sky visible is minimal, I'll rotate it to reduce reflections on water/grass, etc.
2018-1-29
Use props
Guido-Italy
First Officer
Flight distance : 477008 ft
Italy

Thanks for all inputs I understand that it’s very difficult to set polarized because bird move and rotate during different shots.
2018-1-30
Use props
djiuser_uVSyrerybzq9
New

how do you change filters?
2018-9-3
Use props
djiuser_uVSyrerybzq9
New

what kind of filter can I use on my pahntom 4 pro V.2?
2018-9-3
Use props
Rodger8
First Officer
Flight distance : 20145135 ft
  • >>>
United States

In anticipating the photo, align your phantom on the ground and using the angle that you will be shooting at, rotate the filter to the desired effect. Then go into the air and compose from the same angle and all will be well.
2018-9-3
Use props
Manxmann
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1178793 ft
Australia

I set my ND CPL filter on the ground.
When I first got the filters (4/8/16 CPL) I fitted each in turn & adjusted them visually & marked them.
Now,  when I fit a filter I just put the little mark to the 12 o'clock position & that's that...........  unless I am after a particular shot, in which case I may mess about re orienting the thing.
I agree with earlier posts that to get a CPL to work perfectly on a drone is nigh on impossible.  In fact if I had to consider replacing mine - plain ND filters would be the go.

2018-9-4
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules