1166 5 2018-1-29
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
deno825
lvl.2
Flight distance : 4554 ft
United States

Hi All,

I have an interesting opportunity in the near future and I wanted to put it out there for advice and guidance.  Long story short, my home burned down last October and will soon be torn down and then rebuilt.  This project will take approximately 6 months from start to finish.

My idea was to use a new DJI aircraft (model to be determined) to fly a set course around the site over the 6 mo. period and then create a time elapsed video of the house being torn down and then rebuilt.

I am an experienced pilot and my Inspire 1 (v2.0) kit was destroyed with everything else in the event.

That said, what is the best way to accomplish this?  I have looked the DJI Ground Station software as well as Lichti.  I noticed that GS does not appear to support the Mavic aircraft yet.  I was originally thinking the new Mavic Platinum Fly More Combo and DJI Goggles, but I am open to suggestion.

I was thinking of taking video and/or photos orbiting the site.  Maybe once or twice a week with the aircraft flying that same exact flight pattern each time.  Then, taking both the video and the photos and stitching them together.

Any advice or guidance will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Mike

2018-1-29
Use props
StanfordWebbie
Second Officer
Flight distance : 178018 ft
United States

DJI drones have a feature called "Point of Interest".  You fly directly over a subject and push a button to indicate that the object below you is the target.  You then fly backwards away from that object for whatever radius you want (in your case, maybe 150 feet?).  You aim the camera and push go.  The drone will fly circles around that object, keeping the camera pointed at it.  I think this might be exactly what you're looking for.  Also, the new Mavic Air is less expensive than my Mavic Pro was.
2018-1-29
Use props
deno825
lvl.2
United States

StanfordWebbie Posted at 2018-1-29 17:46
DJI drones have a feature called "Point of Interest".  You fly directly over a subject and push a button to indicate that the object below you is the target.  You then fly backwards away from that object for whatever radius you want (in your case, maybe 150 feet?).  You aim the camera and push go.  The drone will fly circles around that object, keeping the camera pointed at it.  I think this might be exactly what you're looking for.  Also, the new Mavic Air is less expensive than my Mavic Pro was.

StanfordWebbie,

Thank you for the insight.   Using Go can I save the POI so I can run it on a repeated basis?

What are your thoughts on the DJI Goggles for this application?

Thanks.
2018-1-29
Use props
StanfordWebbie
Second Officer
Flight distance : 178018 ft
United States

deno825 Posted at 2018-1-29 18:19
StanfordWebbie,

Thank you for the insight.   Using Go can I save the POI so I can run it on a repeated basis?

I do not think that you can save the settings, but they're so simple that you ought be able to repeat them pretty closely.  If you fly directly over the chimney, for example, and declare that the POI each time, and you back off a set radius (the distance will show on you remote), you will be pretty close to making it the same over and over.  If you want to be exact, however, the Litchi app (works with DJI drones) allows you to plan a course in great detail and save it for reuse.  On goggles, I have no experience at all with them.  Sorry.
2018-1-29
Use props
deno825
lvl.2
United States

StanfordWebbie Posted at 2018-1-29 19:09
I do not think that you can save the settings, but they're so simple that you ought be able to repeat them pretty closely.  If you fly directly over the chimney, for example, and declare that the POI each time, and you back off a set radius (the distance will show on you remote), you will be pretty close to making it the same over and over.  If you want to be exact, however, the Litchi app (works with DJI drones) allows you to plan a course in great detail and save it for reuse.  On goggles, I have no experience at all with them.  Sorry.

Thanks!  Great info.
2018-1-30
Use props
Easy Ed
Second Officer
Flight distance : 41414 ft
United States

nicely done - thanks for sharing.
2018-11-2
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now