Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
firmware update, crazy behaviour
657 29 2018-1-29
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
myosin
lvl.2
United States

Last evening was going to take my P4 Pro up. Gave me a firmware warning and made me update. I did that. I got a APPLE IOS update warning. I have an older IOS 11 something and am not updating the Ipad. Once firmware was done.......everything was good to launch. No warnings, no compass calibration, GPS all good. I do auto launch, it hovers and starts rising and going laterally. I fight with it and bring it down. Damn thing tipped over while I was trying to land. Luck it was in the grass and we just got a ton of rain so propellers were digging into the mud/grass. I thought damn...I turned off Ipad, turned controller and drone off. Turned everything back on, all systems go no error messages. I do auto launch, P4 Pro launches, stops then starts to rise and go laterally. I am trying to get it to come down but it is not responding to commands. It kept rising for 4 seconds even when I had stick going down. Landed safely and did not have time to mess with drone of check settings? Any thoughts?
2018-1-29
Use props
San2C
lvl.2
United States

" ... it hovers and starts rising and going laterally. I fight with it and bring it down. Damn thing tipped over while I was trying to land."

That sounds familiar. I flew mine for the first time last week, had awful video transmission issues, then was advised by support to update firmware, then things got really weird with error messages galore, and drone flying autonomously. At one point I was so worried about its behavior, I hit return to home and it started flying AWAY from me. Another moment, at a low altitude, it made a beeline for some trees so I had to crash it.

I downgraded firmware and flew it today briefly and it seemed fine but still with poor video transmission. I would advise downgrading firmware until people stop complaining about the latest version.
2018-1-29
Use props
Punchbuggy
Captain
Flight distance : 395551 ft
Australia

Hi. The key issue which people are reporting with the new P4P prod firmware (v...300) is the video being inverted when the camera is facing straight down. A beta has already been released to resolve that (v...301).

I haven't read of the issues your described though, but I have experienced the occasional fail in doing a clean firmware installation. My suggestion is to reset to factory defaults and refresh the firmware on the craft via Assistant 2. Then do an IMU calibration on a flat surface, then VPS calibration, then gimbal calibration.
I'd also suggest you do a controller calibration for good measure also. The P4P needs to be powered down for you to do that one - can't do it when the controller is linked.
2018-1-29
Use props
myosin
lvl.2
United States

Re-calibrated my IMU.  Calibrated compass. had 10 GPS satellites. Launched and damn thing will not hover and wanted to fly away without any input from me. UGhhh.
2018-1-29
Use props
myosin
lvl.2
United States

http://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/23ZOYW7AXFTEXMS0ICGS/
2018-1-29
Use props
Punchbuggy
Captain
Australia

Compass error may explain it drifting off, and is that a power pole transformer nearby your take-off point? Have you flown from there before?

Oh, and you didn't mention VPS calibration. Did you do that too? That would explain an unstable hover.
2018-1-29
Use props
myosin
lvl.2
United States

punchbuggy.......

Flying from my front driveway. Done it numerous times no problems until last firmware.   Not sure what VPS calibration is? Visual Positioning Sensor??????
2018-1-29
Use props
Punchbuggy
Captain
Australia

myosin Posted at 2018-1-29 19:12
punchbuggy.......

Flying from my front driveway. Done it numerous times no problems until last firmware.   Not sure what VPS calibration is? Visual Positioning Sensor??????

Yep - VPS is Visual Positioning System. You should calibrate it after each upgrade or returning the craft to factory defaults (and then do a gimbal calibration). It's done via Assistant 2, whereas all other calibrations are done via the GO 4 app. If VPS isn't calibrated, the craft will not be able to "see" the ground properly. That'll affect stable hover and precise landing capability. It'd be like wearing glasses with the wrong prescription.

Just to pull this together, you would tend not to do an IMU or compass calibration unless requested to by the app (really just because it's easy to bugger up), controller calibration when the craft seems to have a mind of it's own, VPS calibration after each update or if flight appears odd when it's less than 10m off the ground, and a Gimbal calibration after each update or when camera horizon level is noted to be wonky.
2018-1-29
Use props
Jenee 2
Captain
Flight distance : 7852129 ft
Australia

myosin Posted at 2018-1-29 17:22
http://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/23ZOYW7AXFTEXMS0ICGS/

The log shows you are not getting a good gps fix and you need to calibrate the compass. Have a look at the sensors in the GO 4 app for both IMU and compass and see that both are green.
2018-1-29
Use props
myosin
lvl.2
United States

Jenee 2 Posted at 2018-1-29 22:14
The log shows you are not getting a good gps fix and you need to calibrate the compass. Have a look at the sensors in the GO 4 app for both IMU and compass and see that both are green.

sensors are all green.

Here was a typical flight (before recent firmware update)

http://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/0U02ZCL69YQ4K99KH2H6/
2018-1-30
Use props
Labroides
Captain
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
Australia

myosin Posted at 2018-1-30 03:22
sensors are all green.

The flight you are complaining about was only a few feet high.
The flight you are happy with was 400 feet high.
What was the surface you were flying over in the unsatisfactory flight?

Could it be that it was a surface that was unsuitable for the VPS system to use and the trouble was entirely due to that?
I suspect that your Phantom is fine and needs no recalibrations of anything.
Simply put it up in the air above VPS range (33 ft) or disable VPS and see what difference that makes.
2018-1-30
Use props
myosin
lvl.2
United States

Labroides Posted at 2018-1-30 04:09
The flight you are complaining about was only a few feet high.
The flight you are happy with was 400 feet high.
What was the surface you were flying over in the unsatisfactory flight?

The flight that was only a few feet high was not responding to the controller. I only have 20 flights with my Pro. 95% of my flights are from my front driveway urban neighborhood in Houston.

The firmware I did Sunday started the problem of the drone not responding. I updated firmware. Everything was green, everything was good to go. I "launched" the Pro. It launched up the 4 feet, then instead of hovering it started to fly away. I was frantically trying to land the Pro so it would not fly off.

I've had great flights from my driveway where everything worked great, the drone launched the 4 feet and hovered perfectly in place. I then shot it straight up to altitude to clear trees and powerlines. I fly it around no problem and land it. The PRO respond to the controls perfectly and hovered in place. Now with the latest firmware update the drone does not respond to the controller very well and does not hover.

2018-1-30
Use props
myosin
lvl.2
United States

The flight that was only a few feet high was not responding to the controller. I only have 20 flights with my Pro. 95% of my flights are from my front driveway urban neighborhood in Houston.

The firmware I did Sunday started the problem of the drone not responding. I updated firmware. Everything was green, everything was good to go. I "launched" the Pro. It launched up the 4 feet, then instead of hovering it started to fly away. I was frantically trying to land the Pro so it would not fly off.

I've had great flights from my driveway where everything worked great, the drone launched the 4 feet and hovered perfectly in place. I then shot it straight up to altitude to clear trees and powerlines. I fly it around no problem and land it. The PRO respond to the controls perfectly and hovered in place. Now with the latest firmware update the drone does not respond to the controller very well and does not hover.

I will turn VPS off and see what it does. I am hesitant to take it above 33 feet because the last couple of launches the PRO started to gain altitude and move laterally WITHOUT any input from the controller. Then with me trying to send the drone back down and to me the controllers I was fighting the drone.
2018-1-30
Use props
myosin
lvl.2
United States

Pre last sunday firmware update. Flew from my driveway. Phantom Pro acted perfect.

http://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/2D61Z6EMXP0RYWZDJLN5/
2018-1-30
Use props
CanonMax
First Officer
Flight distance : 5028281 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Punchbuggy Posted at 2018-1-29 20:03
Yep - VPS is Visual Positioning System. You should calibrate it after each upgrade or returning the craft to factory defaults (and then do a gimbal calibration). It's done via Assistant 2, whereas all other calibrations are done via the GO 4 app. If VPS isn't calibrated, the craft will not be able to "see" the ground properly. That'll affect stable hover and precise landing capability. It'd be like wearing glasses with the wrong prescription.

Just to pull this together, you would tend not to do an IMU or compass calibration unless requested to by the app (really just because it's easy to bugger up), controller calibration when the craft seems to have a mind of it's own, VPS calibration after each update or if flight appears odd when it's less than 10m off the ground, and a Gimbal calibration after each update or when camera horizon level is noted to be wonky.

when you (re)calibrate is also checks and calibrates the front- and back collision system...
2018-1-30
Use props
cruising.com.br
lvl.2
Brazil

I did the first flight with my brand new P4P last Friday (after updating drone and controle firmwares and DJI Go 4 app) and had no issues on flight.

The only issues are related to DJI Go 4 app: it closed during flight (so I reopened it and it worked until the landing) and didn't record some flight data (I had flown about 500 meters from the home point and rose to about 90 meters altitude, but the recorded data shown as if the drone had stayed 40 meters over me without any horizontal moving)...
2018-1-30
Use props
Labroides
Captain
Australia

myosin Posted at 2018-1-30 04:28

It launched up the 4 feet, then instead of hovering it started to fly away. I was frantically trying to land the Pro so it would not fly off.
I understand that, it was all in your initial post.
The symptoms you describe could well be a case of the VPS trying and failing to lock on to the ground due to the lack of clear pattern/texture or low light conditions.
That's why I suggested things to check to eliminate that possibility.
I know that lots of people love to recalibrate all kinds of things because it makes them feel they are doing "something" but it really shouldn't be necessary and is unlikely to solve anything because it's not addressing the cause of the issue.
Take VPS out of the equation and see if the Phantom flies properly.
2018-1-30
Use props
myosin
lvl.2
United States

Will do Labroides....thanks.
2018-1-30
Use props
myosin
lvl.2
United States

OK , will turn VPS off.

I searched the forum and internet......saw where you can't turn of VPS on Phantom 4 pro?  Is that correct?
2018-1-30
Use props
San2C
lvl.2
United States

I couldn't find a way to do it the last time I looked. I see in forums, people are talking about putting tape over the sensors.
2018-1-30
Use props
rwynant V1
Captain
Flight distance : 2391175 ft
  • >>>
United States

I had that same thing happen to me....once.  Take off stop at  6 or 8 ft and then start drifting......I am coming off an Inspire 1, and turning that on and getting ready to fly was less than 30 secs or so.  150 Real Estate flights and not 1 problem!!

With the P4Pro,  I find the sats take longer and the IMU and compass check takes longer........so my answer was,  I was taking off slightly too soon ( answer on this site ).....and it wasn't ready.  Since I've been waiting that extra 30 secs to a minute for the READY TO FLY I have not had the issue.

YMMV
Randy
2018-1-30
Use props
myosin
lvl.2
United States

SCREW ME....got home from work. Tried to check drone. Did 15 compass calibrations and they ALL failed. I've taken off dozen of times from my driveway no problem. UGhhh.....temporarily got a expensive paperweight.
2018-1-30
Use props
Labroides
Captain
Australia

myosin Posted at 2018-1-30 16:01
SCREW ME....got home from work. Tried to check drone. Did 15 compass calibrations and they ALL failed. I've taken off dozen of times from my driveway no problem. UGhhh.....temporarily got a expensive paperweight.

1.  There should be no need to calibrate the compass ever.  Was there a good reason for you to try?
Having compass calibration fail is an indication that either your compass is disconnected or you are in an area of magnetic disturbance (close to iron, steel or electric cables).

2.  Your driveway is reinforced concrete.
Reinforced concrete has steel mesh inside.
Your Phantom has a compass down low in the landing gear.
Put your Phantom on the concrete and your compass might be far enough away from steel to have no effect .... or ...
It could be right over the point where some steel rods cross and  **Bingo** ...
... you have yourself a compass error situation that could cause minor issues in flight or worse.
NEVER launch from reinforced concrete.
2018-1-30
Use props
myosin
lvl.2
United States

Labroides Posted at 2018-1-30 16:07
1.  There should be no need to calibrate the compass ever.  Was there a good reason for you to try?
Having compass calibration fail is an indication that either your compass is disconnected or you are in an area of magnetic disturbance (close to iron, steel or electric cables).

The app said I had a compass error so I tried to calibrate it.  It has told me that in the past and I did the calibration once and it was happy.

I was holding the Phantom 4 Pro while I was doing calibration.

Launched 12 to 15 times from my driveway and no problems. Everything went to crap with the firmware I did on Sunday.
2018-1-30
Use props
Aardvark
Captain
Flight distance : 384432 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

myosin Posted at 2018-1-30 13:35
OK , will turn VPS off.

I searched the forum and internet......saw where you can't turn of VPS on Phantom 4 pro?  Is that correct?

No it is not correct, look in DJI Go 4  'Visual Navigations Settings' / 'Advanced Settings' and disable visual positioning.

Your time would be better spent searching through the manual or the menus in DJI Go 4, rather than the internet to familiarise yourself with what can and can't be done.
2018-1-30
Use props
Labroides
Captain
Australia

myosin Posted at 2018-1-30 16:14
The app said I had a compass error so I tried to calibrate it.  It has told me that in the past and I did the calibration once and it was happy.

I was holding the Phantom 4 Pro while I was doing calibration.

The manual better than old editions but is still poorly worded.
When you see the message about calibrating the compass .. look closely.
It says move the aircraft or calibrate.
And the proper action 99% of the time is to move away from the magnetic influence that the compass is warning you about.
Re-calibrating the compass won't cure the issue.
The solution is to go away from the problem and launch from a magnetically clean area.
Steel and reinforced concrete surfaces should be avoided for launch sites.
Launching from them is asking for trouble.
2018-1-30
Use props
Mattcoq
Captain
Flight distance : 2414396 ft
  • >>>
United States

I haven't flown my P4P+ since more than a month and I was curious with some friends having either the P4P or the P4A, that were experience some weird issues :

First one : Very bad video reception
Second : Went the camera facing down, the video on the screen would tilt 180°
Third : Some photos being taken with the camera facing down would show some orangish color
Fourth : After loosing reception and connection with the drone, even though this one was flying back in RTH mode, it was impossible for them to reconnect to the drone before they landed ... Even though they reseted their iPad or other device. They had to land by sight their drones each time they lost the connection

So I updated to the latest firmware and made a flight test :

Point 1) Concerning the video reception : Not bad, but not excellent either from the location I use to fly from ... Only major difference between this flight and the previous ones, was the temperature outside : +1°C that day compared to the +20°C/+25°C the previous times ... In my mind there is no connection .... Couldn't reach though the kilometer mark I could reach previously without loosing signal ... So in my opinion, the reception is worse than before.

Point 2) I thought that maybe having the P4P+ and the integrated screen might change something about the video reception tilting 180° ... Tested it several times, and it is also the case.

Point 3) Orangish color in the photos while taking them with the camera facing down ... Nothing observed on this point. All picture appeared normal

Point 4) Reconnecting to the drone after loosing connection ... Since previously mentioned, I tried hitting the hm mark I usually could reach without a problem, I managed to loose connection three times and the drone would go into RTH mode ... But compared to my friends experience with their P4P and P4A, I reconnected once the drone came closer to me, without reseting the integrated screen of my P4P+

Here is my 2 mao of contribution, mao's since I live in China ...
2018-1-30
Use props
Punchbuggy
Captain
Australia

Mattcoq Posted at 2018-1-30 17:28
I haven't flown my P4P+ since more than a month and I was curious with some friends having either the P4P or the P4A, that were experience some weird issues :

First one : Very bad video reception

Regarding point 2, the inverted video when straight down issue was introduced with the latest prod firmware v1.5.300. DJI have released a beta v1.5.301 which resolves it. I suggest that you PM to a DJI admin here with your DJI email account, and request access to the beta.
2018-1-30
Use props
Mattcoq
Captain
  • >>>
China

Punchbuggy Posted at 2018-1-30 17:55
Regarding point 2, the inverted video when straight down issue was introduced with the latest prod firmware v1.5.300. DJI have released a beta v1.5.301 which resolves it. I suggest that you PM to a DJI admin here with your DJI email account, and request access to the beta.

Thanks for your feedback ...

Remembered indeed seeing that point being mentioned in some topics ...

That issue even if it is bothersome, isn't a major issue for me in flying ...

I prefer to wait that the beta becomes official and all issues are dealt with (hopefully) before upgrading again ...

2018-1-30
Use props
Mattcoq
Captain
  • >>>
China

My friend owner of the P4A managed to downgrade to the previous firmware ....

Not more tilting 180° when the camera is down ...

No more orangish colors when taking pictures with the camera down ...

Just very bad reception when using the 5.8Ghz but perfect reception when forcing it to use 2.4 Ghz ...

2018-1-31
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules