Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Can I lift 1.4 pounds with my Mavic?
6191 28 2018-1-29
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
MiniPalourde
Second Officer
Flight distance : 7 ft
Canada

Hey guys,

I'd like to lift 645 grams (1.4 pounds or 0.63 kilograms) with my Mavic for a short period of about 30 seconds. I would ascend to about 60 feets, hover for some seconds, and then land the aircraft immediately.

There's a guy who lifts 2 pounds on youtube but he didn't try going higher than 2 feets. Also, I don't want to burn an ESC or overload the motors. Do you guys think it is safe to lift 1.4 pounds at about 60 feets for 30 seconds?
2018-1-29
Use props
dronist
Captain
  • >>>
United States

No guessing... Why don't you try and let us know!
2018-1-29
Use props
Bekaru Tree
Captain
Flight distance : 15513100 ft
South Africa

i think you should be safe to do so - as you mention a guy on you tube lifts 2 pounds. The height is not relevant - what i mean is that if it will lift 2 meters then it will lift 20 m or 60m. as a once off or very occassionally it is my speculation that your mavic will handle it fine. Maybe you can mention what you are lifting and for what reason - maybe there is another way to achieve what you are trying to do?
2018-1-29
Use props
MiniPalourde
Second Officer
Canada

Bekaru Tree Posted at 2018-1-29 14:28
i think you should be safe to do so - as you mention a guy on you tube lifts 2 pounds. The height is not relevant - what i mean is that if it will lift 2 meters then it will lift 20 m or 60m. as a once off or very occassionally it is my speculation that your mavic will handle it fine. Maybe you can mention what you are lifting and for what reason - maybe there is another way to achieve what you are trying to do?

I have a Nikon D3400 camera and I'd like to take shots from an higher altitude.
The guy on Youtube is no scientist. I mean yea it works but I'm wondering if it could damage my quad (probably not)
2018-1-29
Use props
MiniPalourde
Second Officer
Canada

dronist Posted at 2018-1-29 14:12
No guessing... Why don't you try and let us know!

Because I don't want to risk a 1000$ camera + a 1000$ drone
2018-1-29
Use props
Airwater
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1517057 ft
United Kingdom

Think you're already risking it because it's a camera drone, not a freight drone. Better to get an original Inspire and mount to that I would say.
2018-1-29
Use props
MiniPalourde
Second Officer
Canada

Airwater Posted at 2018-1-29 16:47
Think you're already risking it because it's a camera drone, not a freight drone. Better to get an original Inspire and mount to that I would say.

Yea, you're right! I will plant some money trees in my backyard and I'll get back to you.
2018-1-29
Use props
StanfordWebbie
Captain
Flight distance : 178018 ft
United States

MiniPalourde Posted at 2018-1-29 17:14
Yea, you're right! I will plant some money trees in my backyard and I'll get back to you.

If you're gonna be sarcastic with your responses, maybe you shouldn't ask for advice.
2018-1-29
Use props
MiniPalourde
Second Officer
Canada

StanfordWebbie Posted at 2018-1-29 18:24
If you're gonna be sarcastic with your responses, maybe you shouldn't ask for advice.

It was a joke

I give advice all the time and I'd be amused at worst if someone made a joke on his own advice thread.
2018-1-29
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

Mavic Pro is an all-in-one drone, we don't suggest lifting or flying the redundant weight to ensure the flight safety. Thank you.
2018-1-29
Use props
Bekaru Tree
Captain
South Africa

MiniPalourde Posted at 2018-1-29 16:42
I have a Nikon D3400 camera and I'd like to take shots from an higher altitude.
The guy on Youtube is no scientist. I mean yea it works but I'm wondering if it could damage my quad (probably not)

as thor says - it was not designed for this purpose.
If you are worrying about risking your drone and your nikon - then you should not do it.
I think it will handle and survive those parameters especially over a short time but you will have no right to complain to dji or nikon if your experiment fails.
Can the mavic do it - almost certainly, yes.
Should you do it - absolutely no.
I bet there will be scientists who will tell you it can be done - but hardcore text book according to mavics design and opperations manual - no do not do it.
ps. sometimes your commments are too hard which is a way of saying that sometimes your humor is not correctly understood and therefore mostly unappreciated.
we will do better from helping each other with a constructive attitude - better for all of us.
Sarcasm is a humor that is seldom successfull outside of immediate family - best to try avoid.
2018-1-29
Use props
AIister
Second Officer
Flight distance : 626647 ft
Canada

i deliver 2 kilos of pot with my p3p weekly from 2km.  no issues.  don't see why the mavic wouldn't be able to do it.  

although the camera hanging below probably would not be very stable, need to ensure pretty rapid shutter speed.
2018-1-29
Use props
Infosmercial
lvl.1

United States

AIister Posted at 2018-1-29 23:20
i deliver 2 kilos of pot with my p3p weekly from 2km.  no issues.  don't see why the mavic wouldn't be able to do it.  

although the camera hanging below probably would not be very stable, need to ensure pretty rapid shutter speed.

you just blew my mind
2018-1-29
Use props
martin joãoo
Second Officer
Flight distance : 945105 ft
Luxembourg

If you decide to go ahead, don't forget to disable the downward sensors. There were some people who reported issues with autolanding when a3rd party landing gear was attached.
2018-1-30
Use props
Bekaru Tree
Captain
South Africa

many a true word said in jest
2018-1-30
Use props
Siwyleeds mavic
lvl.4
United Kingdom

MiniPalourde Posted at 2018-1-29 16:45

don`t do it then mate. This drone is not designed to lift things.
2018-1-30
Use props
Vincent.
Second Officer
Flight distance : 459738 ft
United States

You can try and control the RPM of the props with the controller, if it goes over 900 when hovering, maybe it's a bad idea
2018-1-30
Use props
MiniPalourde
Second Officer
Canada

LOL you're serious?
2018-1-30
Use props
MiniPalourde
Second Officer
Canada

Siwyleeds mavic Posted at 2018-1-30 06:26
don`t do it then mate. This drone is not designed to lift things.

Yep, you're right that the quad is not designed to lift things.
2018-1-30
Use props
MiniPalourde
Second Officer
Canada

Vincent. Posted at 2018-1-30 06:46
You can try and control the RPM of the props with the controller, if it goes over 900 when hovering, maybe it's a bad idea

That's nice advice right here but where'd you get that information? Why 900?
2018-1-30
Use props
MiniPalourde
Second Officer
Canada

Bekaru Tree Posted at 2018-1-29 23:13
as thor says - it was not designed for this purpose.
If you are worrying about risking your drone and your nikon - then you should not do it.
I think it will handle and survive those parameters especially over a short time but you will have no right to complain to dji or nikon if your experiment fails.

Yea, I won't do it. I was just hoping for some people to chime in and say that they often lift weights with their Mavic but nope didn't happen.

I'll be more careful with my comments
2018-1-30
Use props
Vincent.
Second Officer
Flight distance : 459738 ft
United States

MiniPalourde Posted at 2018-1-30 07:24
That's nice advice right here but where'd you get that information? Why 900?

I gave this number like this. But I know that usually mine is at 550-600 and I've seen some peaks at 850, but in really strong wind so I guess it's kind of its limit if you don't want to burn everything. It'll probably go higher but for how much time.
2018-1-30
Use props
Bekaru Tree
Captain
South Africa

MiniPalourde Posted at 2018-1-30 07:27
Yea, I won't do it. I was just hoping for some people to chime in and say that they often lift weights with their Mavic but nope didn't happen.

I'll be more careful with my comments

well taken - thanks
2018-1-30
Use props
Oracle Miata
Captain
Flight distance : 3759829 ft
  • >>>
United States

You just won the internet.  
2018-1-30
Use props
dronist
Captain
  • >>>
United States

MiniPalourde Posted at 2018-1-29 16:45

So why are you asking if it can or not
2018-2-2
Use props
MiniPalourde
Second Officer
Canada

dronist Posted at 2018-2-2 08:43
So why are you asking if it can or not

You're late

I wanted to know if some people tried lifting 2 pounds for more than 10 seconds. THEN I would have tried it because it wouldn't be risky.
2018-2-2
Use props
fansab06999a
New
Flight distance : 114898 ft
Jamaica

MiniPalourde Posted at 2018-2-2 09:38
You're late

I wanted to know if some people tried lifting 2 pounds for more than 10 seconds. THEN I would have tried it because it wouldn't be risky.

Your evaluation of what is "risky" because of someone else's claimed success on an internet chatroom response is very "bally" to say the least.  ANYTIME you fly outside the parameters outlined by an owner/operator manual, you are a test pilot.

Someone else's success doesn't guarantee yours.  Way too many variables.  But hey, I used to fly with 4,000 lbs slung beneath my Sikorsky MH-60 in the Gulf in 85% humidity on a 35 degree C day with a full bag of gas and a 18,000 lb gross weight all the time and I never crashed.  So you should definitely try what you're thinking about.

I'm totally kidding about trying this. It's a bad idea.  Let me know if it works.  And make sure you video tape your flight.
2018-2-2
Use props
MiniPalourde
Second Officer
Canada

fansab06999a Posted at 2018-2-2 16:14
Your evaluation of what is "risky" because of someone else's claimed success on an internet chatroom response is very "bally" to say the least.  ANYTIME you fly outside the parameters outlined by an owner/operator manual, you are a test pilot.

Someone else's success doesn't guarantee yours.  Way too many variables.  But hey, I used to fly with 4,000 lbs slung beneath my Sikorsky MH-60 in the Gulf in 85% humidity on a 35 degree C day with a full bag of gas and a 18,000 lb gross weight all the time and I never crashed.  So you should definitely try what you're thinking about.

OOF

I said that I wouldn't do it in my other comments because I didn't want to risk anything. I'M NOT GONNA DO IT.

Why are you guys replying to an old thread
2018-2-2
Use props
MiniPalourde
Second Officer
Canada

lannes Posted at 2018-2-2 16:20
It doesn't even work well on a Phantom, without a gimbal your not going to get useful shots

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GhaocIQounQ

I'm sure that you can get at least a few good pictures if you set your DLSR correctly. If it takes a lot of pictures in that 30 seconds you're gonna be OK.

I'm not doing it anyways.
2018-2-2
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules