1875 12 2018-1-29
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Jaza
lvl.1
Flight distance : 21220 ft
United Kingdom

Hi,
This weekend I had a flight on the coast around Southwold Pier. The weather was fine, sunny, with a light breeze, it was early morning, just after sunrise.
I flew for around 8 minutes without any issues, getting what looked like some great video. At around 8 minutes, sigal was lost and I watched the P4P fall from the sky, right in front of my eyes, staight down and lost into the sea!
It is bad enough to lose the bird, but I have no idea what went wrong.

Battery was good, weather fine, in line of sight at about 50m alt. All looked fine to me.
Everything was charged the night before, battery, spares and transmitter. I checked everything, including the wind speed in the morning.

Signal was lost at 49.7m Height.

Please, I need some help or advice.
2018-1-29
Use props
blackcrusader
Second Officer
Flight distance : 689774 ft
Taiwan

Download your flight logs txt file and upload it to http://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/Upload/

You can use www.airdata.com to get your logs. Also contact support@dji.com  

I lost my new drone on it's third flight and it was covered under warranty as not being pilot error.

DJI will ask for your username and email so you need to synch your flights to the DJI Cloup using the DJI App on your phone.

2018-1-29
Use props
Jaza
lvl.1
United Kingdom

blackcrusader Posted at 2018-1-29 15:45
Download your flight logs txt file and upload it to http://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/Upload/

You can use www.airdata.com to get your logs. Also contact support@dji.com  

Thank's for the reply black crusader, I have sent an email to the support address you supplied.
That was a very good response you got from DJI, you can't get much better than that.
It's very worrying when something like this happens.
If there was something I had obviously done wrong, I would be upset with myself. Not knowing why the bird fell from the sky is very uncomfortable.
2018-1-29
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

Jaza Posted at 2018-1-29 16:32
Thank's for the reply black crusader, I have sent an email to the support address you supplied.
That was a very good response you got from DJI, you can't get much better than that.

That's OK, but DJI will not tell you what went wrong. The only way to find out is to upload your flight record to Phantomelp: http://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/Upload/
That way one of the members here will be able to look at the flight and hopefully advise you what might have happened.

2018-1-29
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

Jaza Posted at 2018-1-29 16:32

I hope this change of heart from DJI, is something that will be more frequent.

There have been numerous similar situations, where the pilot had done nothing wrong, but were refused refund or drone replacement.

RecHotPoker
2018-1-29
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

Hi Jaza, we are so sorry for your loss, our support team will help to start a ticket for data analysis if the drone is still in warranty period, and the data analysis team will do their best to find out the reason if the flight records are sufficient, hope the issue will get addressed soon.
2018-1-29
Use props
Jaza
lvl.1
United Kingdom

DJI Mindy Posted at 2018-1-29 19:27
Hi Jaza, we are so sorry for your loss, our support team will help to start a ticket for data analysis if the drone is still in warranty period, and the data analysis team will do their best to find out the reason if the flight records are sufficient, hope the issue will get addressed soon.

Thanks very much for the reply DJI Mindy,
I have followed the above link from Geebax to upload my flight log. I can see the flight path, but no method to submit or upload the log for analysis?
Is there any way to submit my flight log for analysis please?

2018-1-29
Use props
Jaza
lvl.1
United Kingdom

Link to the flight log
2018-1-29
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

Jaza Posted at 2018-1-29 23:43
Thanks very much for the reply DJI Mindy,
I have followed the above link from Geebax to upload my flight log. I can see the flight path, but no method to submit or upload the log for analysis?
Is there any way to submit my flight log for analysis please?

Hi Jaza, what Geebax provided is not the official website but many customers have uploaded the data to that website and many users with rich experience like Geebax will help to check the data and give you some thought.
I recommend to sync the flight records to the server and then contact our support to start a ticket, here is the tutorial video for your reference:
2018-1-30
Use props
Jaza
lvl.1
United Kingdom

Update:

Very dissapointed with DJI.

The report has concluded that the flight record ended at 49m, and therefore there is no evidence of a fault with the aircraft.

DJI have offered me the chance to buy a replacement.

Following a power failure (which seems quite common after looking on Google), what kind of evidence would be available?

In my example, I have completed all my UK theory exams, bought dedicated iPad, spare batteries and wind meter, log book etc...
Flyint at 49m early morning on the coast, above the sea. No ojects around (can see from the flight record), nothing close for interference (no warnings), light wind.
There is nothing I would have done differently.
For DJI to not accept that it is an aircraft fault, they are silently saying it is pilot error. I would claim that the flight log demonstraits otherwise.

DJI have offered me the chance to buy a replacement. What assurances would I have with a replacement, that this would not fall out of the sky too?

DJI think that this is concluded, but it is not!

2018-2-6
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

Jaza Posted at 2018-2-6 06:29
Update:

Very dissapointed with DJI.

Jaza, sorry for the data analysis result, since the drone lost into the sea and cannot be retrieved, there are no flight logs can be exported for further analysis, if the signal was lost during flight, there will be no afterward records in the APP.
May I have the case number? I will escalate the case to see if there is other resolution can be provided, thank you.
2018-2-6
Use props
Jaza
lvl.1
United Kingdom

Hi Mindy, thanks for the reply.
The case number is CAS-1456303-T9L5S9 [CAS-1456303-T9L5S9] CRM:0751000000171

The conclusion given was:

1. The aircraft worked in GPS mode in the flight;
2. At t=07:03, h=49 m, d=129 m, the pilot pushed forward the pitch stick, pulled down the throttle stick, the aircraft flew forward and descended, then the  flight record ended.

With the record ended without any sign of abnormality, we could not verify what happened afterwards.

And of course, my claim is that it was flown in accordance to DJI documentation. The flight log cannot be modified, the signal was lost at 49m height.

Thanks

Jason

2018-2-7
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

Jaza Posted at 2018-2-7 00:02
Hi Mindy, thanks for the reply.
The case number is CAS-1456303-T9L5S9 [CAS-1456303-T9L5S9] CRM:0751000000171

Thanks for getting back to us, the case has been escalated to the appropriate department to follow up, we will have someone to contact you soon, appreciate your patience.
2018-2-7
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules