Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Mavic Air - Prop guard performance impact?
9150 12 2018-1-30
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Zatx
First Officer
Flight distance : 158166 ft
United States

I realize most people won't be using the included prop guards on the Mavic Air (or most drones), but I wonder if anyone who has received their new Mavic Air would mind testing out the performance of this little drone with them in place. Do they show up in the recorded footage? Do they drastically reduce flight times or flight characteristics?

I'll be using my MA in a work environment, and even though I will follow all responsible operating guidelines, I may end up leaving the guards in place.

In the United States, the organization responsible for workplace safety is the Occupational Safety and Health Agency (OSHA), and they have some pretty specific language about guarding requirements of rotating machinery/parts. As a 25-year safety professional, I can see how operating a device without its guard in place could expose an employer to litigation in the event of an accident. Use of drones in the work environment is, of course, a relatively new development that regulatory agencies have not even begun to address, but I can see them referring to existing regulations until new ones are drafted.

Thoughts?
2018-1-30
Use props
rookpsu12
lvl.3
  • >>>
United States

FWIW, following the announcement in NYC, while watching DroneDJ's feed, I vaguely recall overhearing one of the DJI reps telling someone demoing a MA that there's actually a slight performance INCREASE when using the rotor guards due to something about the unit knowing there's an additional safety layer in place.  
2018-1-30
Use props
DJT_MVSP
Captain
Flight distance : 2018645 ft
Singapore

Performance is reduced in strong winds: it flies slower and drains battery quicker..   However, in no wind condition it doesn't really affect the air much..
Note: you'll get a warning about additional payload when you have prop guards installed
2018-1-30
Use props
Zatx
First Officer
Flight distance : 158166 ft
United States

I'll not be using the drone in high winds, but I do wonder to what extent the battery life will drop. Five minutes? Ten?
2018-1-30
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13838848 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Zatx Posted at 2018-1-30 11:30
I'll not be using the drone in high winds, but I do wonder to what extent the battery life will drop. Five minutes? Ten?

Not that much - a couple of mins may be. I only use them when flying indoors and that is hardly ever.
2018-1-30
Use props
MiniPalourde
Second Officer
Flight distance : 7 ft
Canada

Zatx Posted at 2018-1-30 11:30

Not that much. The Mavir Air propeller guards weights about 40 grams, so that's around 9% of the total weight of the quad. Your flight time will be decreased by around  1.5 - 2 minutes in theory.
2018-1-30
Use props
Wachtberger
Captain
Flight distance : 261509 ft
Germany

What I find truly amazing is the fact that the Air notices the extra payload. It must have really advanced sensors for being able to do so.
2018-1-31
Use props
VVoody
lvl.1
Flight distance : 102598 ft
United States

Found this thread in search of answers on why the prop guards would limit performance in sport mode.  I noticed today that when the guards are on and the extra payload warning pops up, the performance increases in sport mode are inhibited.  It shows sport mode on the screen, but the actual flight performances are not put into play.  Performance in standard mode is uninhibited, maybe with some slight extra battery burn as already mentioned.  With the guards removed (and no warning pop-up), sport mode works as advertised.  

I find it unusual that for the marginal weight change that the drone would completely inhibit the sport functions when this did not happen with my Spark.  Maybe it has to do with possible increases to the momentum change exceeding the gimbal limit during a sudden stop and sending the drone tumbling, but that's just a guess as that's what could happen with the Spark.  While I don't plan on flying with the guards on a lot, it would be nice to demo the drone's capability for friends with the guards on so they can fly it too with reducing the risk in a bump or crash.

Pretty minor overall, but is there something wrong with my Air or are y'all also experiencing this?  
2018-2-8
Use props
forbsie
Captain
  • >>>
Australia

VVoody Posted at 2018-2-8 20:40
Found this thread in search of answers on why the prop guards would limit performance in sport mode.  I noticed today that when the guards are on and the extra payload warning pops up, the performance increases in sport mode are inhibited.  It shows sport mode on the screen, but the actual flight performances are not put into play.  Performance in standard mode is uninhibited, maybe with some slight extra battery burn as already mentioned.  With the guards removed (and no warning pop-up), sport mode works as advertised.  

I find it unusual that for the marginal weight change that the drone would completely inhibit the sport functions when this did not happen with my Spark.  Maybe it has to do with possible increases to the momentum change exceeding the gimbal limit during a sudden stop and sending the drone tumbling, but that's just a guess as that's what could happen with the Spark.  While I don't plan on flying with the guards on a lot, it would be nice to demo the drone's capability for friends with the guards on so they can fly it too with reducing the risk in a bump or crash.

Hey Woody,

I have been trying to figure out why my new Air is not performing as it should in Sports Mode (my Spark in Sports Mode is quite a bit quicker). All settings are correct, and the DJI Go 4 app indicates that Sports Mode is in operation, but speed is barely better than P Mode. I always fly with the prop guards in place and it occurred to me this morning that maybe this was causing the issue with my Air. I did a forum search and ended up here. I am unable to test today as we have gale force winds, but as soon as I do I'll let you know. It seems stupid to me that Sports Mode performance would be inhibited due to the prop guards though!
Cheers

Steve

2018-2-13
Use props
Spaceman_66
First Officer
Flight distance : 82323 ft
United States

MiniPalourde Posted at 2018-1-30 12:08
Not that much. The Mavir Air propeller guards weights about 40 grams, so that's around 9% of the total weight of the quad. Your flight time will be decreased by around  1.5 - 2 minutes in theory.

What he said.

That has exactly been my experience so far, to date flying my new Mavic Air for just 3 batteries with prop guards on (Day 1 / maiden flights), and 3 with them off (Day 2, but with Polar Pro’s new rubberized shock mounts / landing gear extensions for the MA installed). PP ND filters were installed on both days (ND8 on Day 1, ND16 on Day 2). Mebbe a minute or 2 max difference in flight time is about all I’ve seen based on this fairly small sample set. Definitely cool, tho, that she can actually tell she’s rocking either prop guards and/or additional payload weight!

I’ve been more concerned about other possible dynamics that may potentially arise with the prop guards on under certain situations. See another thread I started earlier about an unusual behavior the aircraft experienced during my 3rd battery flight on Day 1. Very odd right yaw transient accompanied by distinctly unusual rotor sounds and the front left prop guard unexpectedly appearing (fluttering somewhat) in the FOV camera view for a few scary seconds before it just as mysteriously “went away.”

2018-2-13
Use props
Rob_S
lvl.1

Singapore

They showed up in footage I took this afternoon. I used Litchi for the waypoint missions. The tips of the guards appear left and right in shot when the drone's turning. Won't be using them again.
2018-9-23
Use props
djiuser_ASHHTDgWdgO9
New
United States

VVoody Posted at 2-8 20:40

My air gave me the same warning but did fly faster in sportmode
2018-11-29
Use props
djiuser_ASHHTDgWdgO9
New
United States

djiuser_ASHHTDgWdgO9 Posted at 11-29 20:15
My air gave me the same warning but did fly faster in sportmode

With prop gaurds on and no wind
2018-11-29
Use props
Advanced