3786 23 2018-1-30
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
I am Sparkacus
lvl.3
Flight distance : 94626 ft
United Kingdom

Hi All,
Had my Air a few days now, love it! Only one issue is I have my video capture on micro SD capped at 3.76GB? I took a 12 minute video today and it was split up between 4 files, the first three capped at 3.76GB? And the last one 1.75GB. Can this be changed to keep it at one file? I am using a sported SanDisk Extreme Pro. All responses welcome.
2018-1-30
Use props
PS013
First Officer
Flight distance : 3579409 ft
United States

The maximum file size allowed on FAT32 ( that is the file system used by DJI ) is 4GB.  ... so there is no way to change this.

2018-1-30
Use props
Ex Machina
First Officer
Flight distance : 1806362 ft
United States

This is a limitation of FAT32, the Mavic will split files in 4GB segments even if you are using extended FAT formatting.
2018-1-30
Use props
I am Sparkacus
lvl.3
United Kingdom

Thanks for the answers. Never maxed out on any device before so totally new to me! Must get more storage as this thing eats data!!!!
2018-1-30
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13926112 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

The only way to get a 12 minute video on one file is to lower the resolution to the Micro Sd card to take up less storage i.e. 1080p. You can also merge the 4K video in post into one too. 12 minutes is a very long drone vid though.
2018-1-30
Use props
I am Sparkacus
lvl.3
United Kingdom

A CW Posted at 2018-1-30 12:51
The only way to get a 12 minute video on one file is to lower the resolution to the Micro Sd card to take up less storage i.e. 1080p. You can also merge the 4K video in post into one too. 12 minutes is a very long drone vid though.

Agreed it was long and I wouldn’t keep it all. Just experimenting with the 4K (coming from Spark) amazed by the quality though! Now need to be more selective with videoing.
2018-1-30
Use props
A CW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I am Sparkacus Posted at 2018-1-30 12:54
Agreed it was long and I wouldn’t keep it all. Just experimenting with the 4K (coming from Spark) amazed by the quality though! Now need to be more selective with videoing.

Glad you like the MA - it's always good to have options to help create those perfect shots. Enjoy and fly safe
2018-1-30
Use props
I am Sparkacus
lvl.3
United Kingdom

A CW Posted at 2018-1-30 13:09
Glad you like the MA - it's always good to have options to help create those perfect shots. Enjoy and fly safe

Yes just practicing so when I’m traveling I hopefully know what I’m doing. Had about 5 drones so far including Parrots and GoPro but this is by far the best. Would have loved a Pro/platinum but want to keep cost and weight down. Still very impressed! Thanks for the advice!
2018-1-30
Use props
marcel_911
lvl.3
Flight distance : 18901 ft
United Kingdom

What is a good speed card for the MA at full quality? I was thinking of getting three smallish cards so I can swap it out when I put in a new battery. If I lose the Mavic I don't want all my footage going with it.

I was trying to find out how many GB 20 minutes would be at 100Mb/s is about 12GB?
2018-1-30
Use props
I am Sparkacus
lvl.3
United Kingdom

marcel_911 Posted at 2018-1-30 13:19
What is a good speed card for the MA at full quality? I was thinking of getting three smallish cards so I can swap it out when I put in a new battery. If I lose the Mavic I don't want all my footage going with it.

I was trying to find out how many GB 20 minutes would be at 100Mb/s is about 12GB?

My 12 minutes took up 15+ GBs of space over 4 separate files. Not sure on the math. I’m sure others will know more!
2018-1-30
Use props
Punchbuggy
First Officer
Flight distance : 483166 ft
  • >>>
Australia

A CW Posted at 2018-1-30 12:51
The only way to get a 12 minute video on one file is to lower the resolution to the Micro Sd card to take up less storage i.e. 1080p. You can also merge the 4K video in post into one too. 12 minutes is a very long drone vid though.

Hi. Agree that 12 minutes IS a long video, if that's how it stays. My preferred approach is to start video from take-off and get all angles I want in one stream until it lands, then I review the video with my player and pick the segments I want. I splice those together for the final video - I keep to a max 2 min as a rule (which often isn't easy). I find often that I've captured some great unplanned sequences during flight thanks to the video going all the time.

But yes, 4Gb limitation for each file saved to the SD Card and internal memory.
2018-1-30
Use props
BlueSkies99
lvl.3
Flight distance : 3238 ft
United States

Punchbuggy Posted at 2018-1-30 13:59
Hi. Agree that 12 minutes IS a long video, if that's how it stays. My preferred approach is to start video from take-off and get all angles I want in one stream until it lands, then I review the video with my player and pick the segments I want. I splice those together for the final video - I keep to a max 2 min as a rule (which often isn't easy). I find often that I've captured some great unplanned sequences during flight thanks to the video going all the time.

The 4GB file size shouldn't be a problem.  This happens on many devices.  Your editing software should seamlessly combine the clips.  
2018-1-30
Use props
A CW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I am Sparkacus Posted at 2018-1-30 13:18
Yes just practicing so when I’m traveling I hopefully know what I’m doing. Had about 5 drones so far including Parrots and GoPro but this is by far the best. Would have loved a Pro/platinum but want to keep cost and weight down. Still very impressed! Thanks for the advice!

You must ALWAYS buy what is right for you and not what others tell you to get as everyone will have different needs and expectations - the MA looks like a better solution for travel and has some great looking features in it's own right though the MPP is an amazing drone and ticks most of my boxes.
2018-1-30
Use props
A CW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Hi. Agree that 12 minutes IS a long video, if that's how it stays. My preferred approach is to start video from take-off and get all angles I want in one stream until it lands, then I review the video with my player and pick the segments I want. I splice those together for the final video - I keep to a max 2 min as a rule (which often isn't easy). I find often that I've captured some great unplanned sequences during flight thanks to the video going all the time.

Agreed - I rarely stop record when planning a video with my MPP as I often find it's the unexpected images (like wildlife showing up from nowhere) that can make the whole video - I aim for 1 to 3 minutes after cutting. I use 32gb SanDisk extreme cards and they work perfectly. Though I mainly focus on stills rather than video.
2018-1-30
Use props
QuadKid
First Officer
Flight distance : 482349 ft
United States

Yup, even my Nikon DSLR will only allow me around 7 minutes of constant 4K video, like said above when you bump them together in post edit the video is virtually seamless.
2018-1-30
Use props
I am Sparkacus
lvl.3
United Kingdom

I think the MA is right for me and it’s portability is paramount to me. I spend a lot of time in the US national parks. Need to keep weight down, my camera is a Sony RX!r ii. With all the other crap I hike with it all adds up! Being 200 pounds I’m afraid a cliff edge might give way! Will try some of the other video settings tomorrow
2018-1-30
Use props
Wachtberger
Captain
Flight distance : 261509 ft
Germany

I am Sparkacus Posted at 2018-1-30 12:48
Thanks for the answers. Never maxed out on any device before so totally new to me! Must get more storage as this thing eats data!!!!

You should not record in 4K all the time unless you really need this for a specific purpose. 99% of people don't have a device that could display 4K, do you?
2018-1-30
Use props
Punchbuggy
First Officer
Flight distance : 483166 ft
  • >>>
Australia

BlueSkies99 Posted at 2018-1-30 14:02
The 4GB file size shouldn't be a problem.  This happens on many devices.  Your editing software should seamlessly combine the clips.

Correct - the size isn't a problem, and my editing software does.
2018-1-30
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

Ex Machina on 2# is right. The maximum file size of FAT32 is 4GB. Hence, a file that is larger than or equal to 4GB will be divided, otherwise, the file may be lost or abnormal and cannot be read. Though exFAT allows larger file size, the larger file may be damaged due to abnormal power-off and SD card removal, or even cannot be recovered. So the storage is 4GB regardless of the file systems. It is not supported to change the settings. Thank you.
2018-1-30
Use props
AIister
lvl.4
Flight distance : 626647 ft
Canada

yah.  doesn't matter what will work or not or what you want or dont want, this is how it is.
2018-1-30
Use props
Softpaws
lvl.1
United States

Wachtberger Posted at 2018-1-30 14:20
You should not record in 4K all the time unless you really need this for a specific purpose. 99% of people don't have a device that could display 4K, do you?

I mean if you buy this to film in 4K, you should film away!

Also tons of people have 4k televisions now.  You can buy one for $279 at Best Buy.

Do you not own one? If you can own a drone, you can own a 4K TV.
2018-1-30
Use props
StevieJSmall
lvl.2
Flight distance : 249846 ft
United States

While a valid point regarding a lot of people cannot take advantage of watching the full 4K resolution, filming in 4K affords a lot more control in the editing room, especially with respect to cropping down. Filming in 4K and downscaling it to 1080p often yields better image quality than capturing strictly in 1080p.

It's all in how you utilize the footage for your needs =) Additionally, assuming one were to keep the footage backed up, who's to say in a few years, when reviewing footage one day while bored, you discovered you recorded in 4K and if the vast majority of content is able to be consumed at 4K or higher, one would be glad they had the foresight to record at 4K as opposed to 1080p =)

That being said, it certainly is a data hog and more unwieldly to edit with in terms of file sizes, but that's the price to pay currently haha.

All a matter of perspective I suppose!
2018-1-31
Use props
Tom_A
Second Officer
Flight distance : 899951 ft
  • >>>
United States

Most video software shouldn't care where the file breaks are. Once you are done editing, if you do have a longer video you can use better compression that you don't want to use on files you are editing. Some of the better compression formats don't play nice with editing software so you don't want to use it until you have a finished project.
2018-1-31
Use props
eYeSkYeYe
First Officer

Croatia

Point of shooting in 4K currently is not to produce 4K output, but to have more flexibility in post processing. You have greater freedom of cropping and what not. Also, once down-ressed to 1080p, original 4k footage with high bitrate, looks better than when natively shot in 1080. If you deliver your work using YT, it's also better quality if you upload it in like 2.7k or 4k than 1080p. YT is known to be pretty aggressive with compression during transcoding and thus degrading the quality. That's why almost all the pros deliver their work using Vimeo as it produces better quality video for the exactly same source footage.
2018-1-31
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules