Mavic Pro Crash after faulty RTH & RC Disconnect / DJI won't answer.
3254 30 2018-1-30
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Robstunner
lvl.3
Flight distance : 41483 ft
United States

Hello,

So recently I purchased a DJI Mavic Pro Refurb from NewEgg. I figured since it was sold from DJI official, it would be OK. Boy was I wrong.

Long story short, I was flying the Mavic on Christmas day outside my in law's cabin (wide open area for taking off and landing). As I was flying around landing it manually, the RC disconnected from the Mavic at no more than 3 meters away from me. RTH was pinpointed at 13m away from the drone according to the flight log they sent me. The RC disconnect was out of the blue, without any signal intereference warnings or issues (also confirmed by flight log). The Mavic then held position, stopped about 12ft above me, stopped again, then FLEW AWAY from RTH by about 20ft. It then hovered there for a little bit and flew right into the trees. Destroyed the gimbal and all rotors. I send it in to Newegg and DJI for refund and they refused to refund my purchased. They are saying that It is MY fault the controller disconnected from the drone, triggering RTH under trees. While I wont lie, I was NEAR the trees, the drone flew underneath the trees on it's own when it disconnected. Not only is it DJI's fault for the disconnection from RC issue, but also for flying the wrong way from RTH, to get to RTH. For DJI to blame me for the fault is an abosolute ridiculous claim.

RTH crash FLY075
1.      Unit took off with normal GPS signal, unit was responsive.
2.      At t=513s, unit lost RC connection and triggered RTH when unit was 13m away from home location

That it literally what they sent me about the drone log. #3 was crash reported after RTH.

After mulitple phone calls and even Newegg trying to push a refund in siding with me, DJI still refuses. They stand by their claim that my drone crash was caused "by user error." Looking further into it, I noticed that ALL the 1 star reviews on the Newegg MavicRefurb website have to deal with problems with them being refurbs. I do not have the only crash complaint on there. It is absolutely insane to completely discredit your customer when there are plenty of more people, unhappily, who are dealing with similar issues. I do plan on filiing a formal compaint with the Illinois Attorney General's Office as well as the BBB although BBB isnt what they once were with customer help

After a SECOND evaluation of flight log data, they are still unwilling to admit any fault. They purely stated that they will just "not issue a refund as the unit was not malfunctioning.However, they are continually flat out ignoring my two questions that I have been constantly asking:

1.) Should an RC disconnect at such a short distance (again, 5ft) be expected? (especially since the DJI GO 4 App showed ZERO signal interference issues)

2.) During the RTH activation, the drone flew away from RTH before acending to the RTH altitude. Why did it fly away from home? (this is not how the instruction manual reads for an RTH activation)

I asked these two questions to them again today, and not one of them (DJI North American Management and DJI forum Admins) have taken any interest in replying. I am willing to take the hit in repair the drone on my own, but I want to make sure that others read my story and hopefully take it into consideration. Please buy yourself 3rd party insurance like the one State Farm offers. I would not expect DJI to uphold any kind of care refresh claim with this level of abhorent customer service.

2018-1-30
Use props
DroneFlying
lvl.4
Flight distance : 10774613 ft
United States

Do you have the Mavic back in your possession? If so, you should see if you can retrieve the DAT file (flight log) from that last flight from it. The DAT file is stored on the Mavic itself (internally; not in the SD card you insert and remove) and the instructions for accessing DAT files are here. The DAT file should have a date and time that correspond to when the flight occurred and will be at least tens of megabytes in size, though people on the latest firmware versions have been unable to access them. If you are able to retrieve it and upload it to DropBox (or a similar service) and provide a link to it here I'll take a look and may be able to shed some light on what happened during the flight.
2018-1-30
Use props
Robstunner
lvl.3
United States

No I haven't gotten it back yet. I will make sure I try to grab it. It was on the latest fw as of 12/25 but I believe there's been a newer one since.
2018-1-30
Use props
DroneFlying
lvl.4
Flight distance : 10774613 ft
United States

Robstunner Posted at 2018-1-30 18:40
No I haven't gotten it back yet. I will make sure I try to grab it. It was on the latest fw as of 12/25 but I believe there's been a newer one since.

It was on the latest fw as of 12/25

Unfortunately that probably means you won't be able to get the DAT file for the flight, but it's worth a try once you get it back.
2018-1-30
Use props
Robstunner
lvl.3
United States

DroneFlying Posted at 2018-1-30 18:44
It was on the latest fw as of 12/25

Unfortunately that probably means you won't be able to get the DAT file for the flight, but it's worth a try once you get it back.

Ah, that stinks but also doesn't surprise me. I wouldn't put it past DJI to encrypt that information so they could hide any proof that could go against their claim.
2018-1-30
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

Robstunner, I am terribly sorry for the mishap you've experienced. For the questions, I would like to have your flight records on your app for a further checking first. Would you please sync the records to the cloud and PM me with your DJI account? Thank you very much.
And there will have many new threads in Mavic column a day which may sink your thread, to follow up your case better, I will move your thread to Service column, and please don't post a new thread repeately, thank you for understanding.
2018-1-30
Use props
Robstunner
lvl.3
United States

I don't want it in service. It's over, I just want to share my story. The flight records were already updated and the management team should have seen them. Could you please just leave this in the mavic forum.
2018-1-31
Use props
Robstunner
lvl.3
United States

I posted this story on Reddit, I will make sure to share it everywhere I could, because apparently on DJI's forum, it looks will just get hidden in "service." Perhaps I could just make a new thread without the request of getting questions answered? I'm sure you'll just move that one as well under the guise of "service."
2018-1-31
Use props
kpsquared
lvl.1
Flight distance : 3156 ft
United States

Dude mine did the same thing and flew into a building! I tried to stop it, but there was nothing I could do. I had to watch it all happen right in front of me.
2018-1-31
Use props
kpsquared
lvl.1
Flight distance : 3156 ft
United States

By the way, mine was not a refurbished, it was new from Best Buy, purchased in December.
2018-1-31
Use props
Robstunner
lvl.3
United States

kpsquared Posted at 2018-1-31 05:50
Dude mine did the same thing and flew into a building! I tried to stop it, but there was nothing I could do. I had to watch it all happen right in front of me.

I'm totally not surprised. I'm sure they gave you the run around too. They are a deceitful company that will do anything to not only avoid a payout but to mask the complainers. I have an alipine mavic that I will be getting rid of because it makes me sick to even know that I have a dji product.
2018-1-31
Use props
Robstunner
lvl.3
United States

And now they are citing things that never happened!! My drone disconnected from 5ft away from the controller and they are claiming that it was because at one point it was above 160m. No, when it was up there everything was fine! Only when it was at 5ft with no signal interference issues. Absolutely terrible this customer service is. Still no explaination why the drone disconnected and went away from RTH. Oh, well that's because it would admit that the drone wasn't functioning as it should have. Instead they leave that info out and just day it was my fault like a stubborn child.
IMG_20180131_174722.jpg
2018-1-31
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

Robstunner Posted at 2018-1-31 03:08
I posted this story on Reddit, I will make sure to share it everywhere I could, because apparently on DJI's forum, it looks will just get hidden in "service." Perhaps I could just make a new thread without the request of getting questions answered? I'm sure you'll just move that one as well under the guise of "service."

Robstunner, all complaints will be moved to the correct section(Service) for better follow-up. We're sorry if this bothers you. The DJI Care Team will keep follow up and we'll keep an eye as well. Hope this can be get addressed soon.
2018-1-31
Use props
Robstunner
lvl.3
United States

What's the dji care team? Because the dji North American management team is the one who is being unhelpful and refusing to admit any fault in the m this. You can hide this thread but I will still share the one I made on Reddit with the world view dji social media posts so everyone knows how dji will treat their customers.
2018-2-1
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator

Robstunner Posted at 2018-2-1 02:25
What's the dji care team? Because the dji North American management team is the one who is being unhelpful and raising to admit any fault in the m this. You can hide this thread but I will still share the one I made on Reddit with the world view dji divide media posts so everyone knows how dji will treat their customers.

Sorry for the late reply. I got your PM and had forwarded to our engineers for a further check. I will get back to you once I hear something from them, appreciate your patience.
2018-2-1
Use props
Robstunner
lvl.3
United States

Thor, they've already denied it twice. My problem is the denial without answers to why the drone flew away from RTH.
2018-2-1
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator

Robstunner Posted at 2018-2-1 03:55
Thor, they've already denied it twice. My problem is the denial without answers to why the drone flew away from RTH.

I will still forward the case to the proper team. For your first question, they had replied you via email. There might be many possibilities that the RC disconnected with the drone, the second paragraph of the email that you quoted above mentioned this. For your second question, I am still engaging with the relative team. And I will definitely come back to you once I hear any news from them. Your kind patience will be highly appreciated.
2018-2-1
Use props
Robstunner
lvl.3
United States

Dude, like I said in their email: it disconnected at 5ft not 150 meter. There's no excuse for it disconnecting at such a short range, especially with no warning and being out in the open with no interference.
2018-2-1
Use props
Robstunner
lvl.3
United States

Not to mention he blames the RC disconnect at the fact that it was at 160 meters, completely ignoring the fact that it was fine up there and NOT fine when it was within arms reach. Blaming the positioning of the antennas at such a short distance is just as ridiculous as blaming me, the user, as the reason for the crash. I will continue to share my awful and unfair story on your social media and will make it my goal to spread awareness to how terrible DJI customer support is.
2018-2-2
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator

Robstunner Posted at 2018-2-2 05:55
Not to mention he blames the RC disconnect at the fact that it was at 160 meters, completely ignoring the fact that it was fine up there and NOT fine when it was within arms reach. Blaming the positioning of the antennas at such a short distance is just as ridiculous as blaming me, the user, as the reason for the crash. I will continue to share my awful and unfair story on your social media and will make it my goal to spread awareness to how terrible DJI customer support is.

I know that is frustrated, I had forwarded your situation to the designated team and I am now still waiting for the response from them. And sorry there will be a little late coz it is weekend now. We will do the best to make things clear. Still, hope your kind patience.
2018-2-2
Use props
Robstunner
lvl.3
United States

How can they make it clear that it went backwards. This is not by design and therefore did not act as it was supposed to. This was a fault in the drone and I should be compensated. A claim has been filled with the BBB.
2018-2-3
Use props
Robstunner
lvl.3
United States

Still waiting
2018-2-5
Use props
Robstunner
lvl.3
United States

Still waiting for an answer as to why the drone flew away from RTH before ascending to RTH altitude. I wonder why? Oh, because thats NOT WHAT ITS SUPPOSED TO DO.
2018-2-5
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

Robstunner Posted at 2018-2-5 13:50
Still waiting for an answer as to why the drone flew away from RTH before ascending to RTH altitude. I wonder why? Oh, because thats NOT WHAT ITS SUPPOSED TO DO.

Hi Robstunner, I just checked the case, it has been covered by warranty, we will get the drone fixed and ship to you very soon, appreciate your patience.
2018-2-5
Use props
Robstunner
lvl.3
United States

I'm not sure what you're talking about. They already mailed it back to me broken.....

Dear Robert,
Greeting from DJI official store.
Sorry that you don't agree the partial refund and also cover the cost for repair the unit. As we mentioned before that the after sales can only keep the product within the last week, so your original product was already been sent back to you with the tracking number UPS 1ze80e403547509347. Thank you for your kindly attention.

For further questions, please feel free to reach us, we will be more than happy to assist you.

Have a good one!
Best regards,
DJI Official Store

2018-2-5
Use props
Robstunner
lvl.3
United States

Dji could you please explain what's going on?
2018-2-6
Use props
Robstunner
lvl.3
United States

I'm still waiting for a response.
2018-2-9
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator

Robstunner Posted at 2018-2-9 03:45
I'm still waiting for a response.

Sorry for this, Rob, the local team will take care of your case, I will inform them to contact you asap. Sorry for the difficulties and the inconvenience that brings to you.
2018-2-9
Use props
Robstunner
lvl.3
United States

Ok. Do you know when that might be? Not trying to be pushy but I don't understand what the hold up would be?
2018-2-9
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator

Robstunner Posted at 2018-2-9 11:08
Ok. Do you know when that might be? Not trying to be pushy but I don't understand what the hold up would be?

Hi, as per the case log, the local manager had contacted you, right? Please kindly send the drone in again. Hope all thing will be settled soon.
2018-2-9
Use props
Robstunner
lvl.3
United States

He said they will not fix the drone for free unless I had new information to give them to prove it was not my fault.
2018-2-9
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules