Only use the RTH function in emergency cases?
3034 29 2018-1-30
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
W.T. Foxtrot
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1316732 ft
  • >>>
United States

Maybe I missed this in the Mavic Pro literature, but I found this in the Mavic Air notices and warnings.... Check #5.  This is totally off from the original Mavic Pro videos, showing the MP landing on the dock.  It was touted then as a really cool feature and "parlor trick" -- not just a failsafe that you should NOT be using unless an emergency.  I do think everyone should know how to land their bird, but this seems a big policy shift on DJI's part.

Mavic Air RTH

Mavic Air RTH

2018-1-30
Use props
MiniPalourde
lvl.4
Flight distance : 7 ft
Canada

They're tired of the newbies crashing into builidings/tall obstacles because they have their RTH set at 10 meters. If you're gonna use RTH, make sure to watch the quad or its FPV display
2018-1-30
Use props
drn3px69
Second Officer
Flight distance : 213268 ft
Argentina

MiniPalourde Posted at 2018-1-30 19:57
They're tired of the newbies crashing into builidings/tall obstacles because they have their RTH set at 10 meters. If you're gonna use RTH, make sure to watch the quad or its FPV display

Yes, is a nice behavior check the RTH altitude and set the home location in each flight. RTH altitude also is useful check in relation to each flyzone  and its a great tool. With the RTH correctly set, get a peace of mind when you get a "aircraft disconnect" message.
Also during RTH remember that can make corrections in case that Mavic go in a wrong path.
2018-1-30
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

That’s been in that manual since day one, but from what I read a lot don’t know or are not bothered.
2018-1-31
Use props
Woe
Captain
Flight distance : 4129268 ft
  • >>>
United States

In the one year I’ve owned my Mavic, I’ve used RTH 3 times. Just to make sure It worked. There’s a saying I have flying is optional, landing is mandatory. Please learn how to safely land your drone without relying on RTH.
2018-1-31
Use props
Nebuchadnezzar
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 3462946 ft
  • >>>
Spain

i use when i lose the visual.... and want the AC come back ...
2018-1-31
Use props
HyLenz
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1848182 ft
United States

Woe Posted at 2018-1-31 05:10
In the one year I’ve owned my Mavic, I’ve used RTH 3 times. Just to make sure It worked. There’s a saying I have flying is optional, landing is mandatory. Please learn how to safely land your drone without relying on RTH.

Agreed. 1 year and 300 flights never used RTH. Always considered it for emergencies. I read way too many posts of fly-aways where RTH was involved...
2018-1-31
Use props
W.T. Foxtrot
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Thanks for all the replies and suggestions.  344 flights covering 1,285,000 + feet  here and counting.  I don't use it either, except as part of a safety check out about once a month or so - especially if I have changed locations.  Guess I missed it in the Mavic Pro and Platinum manuals.  Just  seemed really crazy to me based on how they were originally marketing that feature.    Cheers!
2018-1-31
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13864580 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I will never forget the case I read on here of that bloke who pressed RTH then decided to switch off his RC and pack up as the drone was returning and wondered why he lost his drone... It's amazing what you come across on here LOL
2018-1-31
Use props
W.T. Foxtrot
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

A CW Posted at 2018-1-31 09:26
I will never forget the case I read on here of that bloke who pressed RTH then decided to switch off his RC and pack up as the drone was returning and wondered why he lost his drone... It's amazing what you come across on here LOL

I missed that one -  can't help myself: lmao -  Sorry for his loss though.
2018-1-31
Use props
Ex Machina
First Officer
Flight distance : 1806362 ft
United States

W.T. Foxtrot Posted at 2018-1-31 09:07
Thanks for all the replies and suggestions.  344 flights covering 1,285,000 + feet  here and counting.  I don't use it either, except as part of a safety check out about once a month or so - especially if I have changed locations.  Guess I missed it in the Mavic Pro and Platinum manuals.  Just  seemed really crazy to me based on how they were originally marketing that feature.    Cheers!

That warning language is not in the Mavic Pro manual versions I checked, including the earliest and the current versions.

I rather suspect its inclusion in the Air's manual is a response to the last year of feedback, forum posts and support requests as DJI learns how owners actually use (or abuse) the feature.

Honestly, the beeping alone cured me of the feature early on. ;)
2018-1-31
Use props
Neroangelo
lvl.3
Flight distance : 7441 ft
United Kingdom

Last week I said that It isn’t in my Spark or Mavic manual and then I was corrected that it is in the safety manual...why put it in one manual and not the other I don’t know.
2018-1-31
Use props
Neroangelo
lvl.3
United Kingdom

Ex Machina Posted at 2018-1-31 10:52
That warning language is not in the Mavic Pro manual versions I checked, including the earliest and the current versions.

I rather suspect its inclusion in the Air's manual is a response to the last year of feedback, forum posts and support requests as DJI learns how owners actually use (or abuse) the feature.

I was corrected last week as I couldn’t find it in my manuals...it’s in the safety manual.
2018-1-31
Use props
Ex Machina
First Officer
Flight distance : 1806362 ft
United States

Neroangelo Posted at 2018-1-31 13:44
I was corrected last week as I couldn’t find it in my manuals...it’s in the safety manual.

So it is:
https://dl.djicdn.com/downloads/ ... y+Guidelines-EN.pdf

2018-1-31
Use props
Steeevo
lvl.4
Flight distance : 264882 ft
United Kingdom

I try not to use RTH only used it twice to check it works when its nearby
2018-1-31
Use props
Neroangelo
lvl.3
United Kingdom

MiniPalourde Posted at 2018-1-30 19:57

Forgive me if I’m wrong but isn’t the Mavic supposed to re-adjust itself if it comes to an obstacle and fly over it when in RTH?
2018-1-31
Use props
Neroangelo
lvl.3
United Kingdom

A CW Posted at 2018-1-31 09:26
I will never forget the case I read on here of that bloke who pressed RTH then decided to switch off his RC and pack up as the drone was returning and wondered why he lost his drone... It's amazing what you come across on here LOL

My understanding is that you can switch off the remote as RTH is GPS (unless set to return to remote location) based and works when you lose transmission..am I wrong?
2018-1-31
Use props
ghostrdr
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1272723 ft
Canada

Neroangelo Posted at 2018-1-31 16:05
My understanding is that you can switch off the remote as RTH is GPS (unless set to return to remote location) based and works when you lose transmission..am I wrong?

You would be asking for heartbreak.
2018-1-31
Use props
nottuppaware
Second Officer
Flight distance : 70745 ft
Australia

Nebuchadnezzar Posted at 2018-1-31 05:17
i use when i lose the visual.... and want the AC come back ...

I turn on home lock for that !
2018-1-31
Use props
Gunship9
Second Officer
United States

Neroangelo Posted at 2018-1-31 16:05

AI technology being what it is, relying on the autopilot without human monitoring could lead to accidents.  The RTH does seem better than nothing if the human pilot is disconnected from the drone.  Birds, winds, trees, compass interference, GPS errors, other aircraft, are all things that can thwart an autopilot's efforts but are easily handled by humans.

I think SpaceX is the only one to totally rely on RTH as normal operation.  Even they lose a rocket or two.
2018-1-31
Use props
C_LUU
lvl.4
Flight distance : 481988 ft
Australia

Been flying DJI drones since 2014 and have never used the return home button on any of them, only use when you really really need to. Every time you put your drone into auto pilot, you increase the risk of crash ten fold
2018-1-31
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13864580 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Thanks Gunship9
2018-1-31
Use props
W.T. Foxtrot
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

I set my failsafe loss of signal to RTH -- with an altitude which is very high with plenty of room if it kicks in.  Some of the more remote locations I fly in have enough granite and volcanic mountains to make the Pro lose signal.  After a few minutes it triggers the RTH and the Pro to climb higher, which normally gets me a good signal and I can cancel RTH and fly back safely.  It's a lot easier than trying to chase it around the edge of an island that has no roads-- before the battery runs out!  If you set it high enough for your terrain, it can easily save your backside.  
2018-2-16
Use props
Mavic Ace
lvl.4
Flight distance : 333976 ft
  • >>>
United States

Remember, lawyers write these things. They are just trying to CYA.
2018-2-16
Use props
AIister
lvl.4
Flight distance : 626647 ft
Canada

hrmm... i always use RTH

today i RTH my p3p 3500m out.  put the controller down, unpacked my Air and prepped it for flight.  Still had to wait for the p3p haha.  RTH is awesome
2018-2-16
Use props
Aeromirage
First Officer
Flight distance : 1778045 ft
  • >>>
United States

Use it periodically to make sure it works.
If you have never used it, you should at least once or twice so you will know how the bird behaves under its influence.
2018-2-16
Use props
Bigplumbs
First Officer
Flight distance : 620164 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Quite honestly I feel for DJI. Some of the things I read on here make me wonder where common sense has gone. Only use RTH in emergencies I would have thought that was obvious
2018-2-16
Use props
Cameleon
lvl.4
Flight distance : 60394 ft
United Kingdom

Aeromirage Posted at 2018-2-16 19:43
Use it periodically to make sure it works.
If you have never used it, you should at least once or twice so you will know how the bird behaves under its influence.

I'd say so, especially after FW updates too, to make sure everything is working fine. Last thing you want to find is a bug in RTH from a new FW when you are out of range and expecting it to come back!
2018-2-16
Use props
LoSBoL
Second Officer
Flight distance : 666483 ft
Netherlands

Cameleon Posted at 2018-2-16 22:48
I'd say so, especially after FW updates too, to make sure everything is working fine. Last thing you want to find is a bug in RTH from a new FW when you are out of range and expecting it to come back!

This to me is the best advice, RTH flightprocedures are subject to change. No matter how experienced you are, you think you might know what RTH does, but half a year later you could be in for surprise when you do hit that button.
2018-2-17
Use props
StanfordWebbie
Second Officer
Flight distance : 178018 ft
United States

I wouldn't recommend using RTH often, but you should use it enough so that you're very comfortable engaging it in an emergency.  I remember the first time that I wanted to use it, I struggled to remember how.
2018-2-17
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules