Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Taking my Mavic to India and Sri Lanka - UPDATE. Success
12Next >
5522 51 2018-1-31
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Njw83
lvl.4
Flight distance : 89767 ft
United Kingdom

Im sick of having my mavic and always being too scared to use it. I've just come back from a week snowboarding in Chamonix, France and didnt take it off once.

I'm not an idiot, I'm not going to fly it high into the path of a helicopter or into a chair lift, I would have only used it away from people and off piste... but I was a good boy and obeyed the rules (which ban the use of them in the ski resorts)

Anyway I'm off to Sri Lanka via India on March 5th and I want to take it with me to get some nice video clips.

It seems India is also against them so although I wont fly it in India, will I have a problem even bringing it into the country? I dont want to get it confiscated.

Thanks in advance.

Seeing as DJI are pumping more and more models out aimed at the casual user, its a shame they aren't doing more to lobby governments into easing rules for the use of them!

UPDATE

So lots of people ask this question before they travel but not many seem to update once they have travelled.

I've just got to Delhi and it was fine. I actually sold my Mavic and bought a Spark but I presume the result would have been the same with either drone.

I put the spark in my checked luggage, just wrapped in-between clothes along with the controller. The batteries and propellers were split between my checked luggage and my hand luggage so I had a spare set in each bag just in case one bag got searched.

NONE of our bags got searched or scanned coming into Delhi.

We have to fly out of Jaipur on Saturday into Kochi and then out of Kochi to Sri Lanka so I'll update again after we have been through those airports.

another UPDATE.

flew from Jaipur to Kochi and no issues. little Spark still safe and sound in my bag. The bag was scanned at Jaipur as you enter the airport but either they didn't see it or didn't care. No scans as you exit the domestic terminal at Kochi.

another UPDATE.

Kochi to Colombo (Sri Lanka) without issue.

And since being in Sri Lanka I've used the little spark twice. The local kids love it.

2018-1-31
Use props
Njw83
lvl.4
United Kingdom

No body had this issue?
2018-2-1
Use props
AM0
Captain
Flight distance : 415554 ft
Estonia

Hi!
Check from here:
https://www.uavsystemsinternational.com/drone-laws-by-country/
and here:
https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/ ... 28787500001&z=2

BR
2018-2-1
Use props
fans6fcbfc93
United Kingdom

Hi,

Which resort did you go? I've been skiing in France, Germany and Austria and never had any issue flying my mavic in remote areas and staying at limited altitude.

India is a different story since drone are banned and are confiscated if found upon arrival. I took recently my mavic to Rajasthan and I've been lucky that my carry on rucksack didn't get scanned.

They did find it on the return but the guys in the security (not custom) only asked me to give them either the battery or one propeller (they were concerned I would fly it in the terminal).
Since you're only having a connection in India, you might be fine as long as your carry on bag isn't checked by customs..
2018-2-1
Use props
Njw83
lvl.4
United Kingdom

fans6fcbfc93 Posted at 2018-2-1 03:55
Hi,

Which resort did you go? I've been skiing in France, Germany and Austria and never had any issue flying my mavic in remote areas and staying at limited altitude.

Thanks for the reply.

This was in Chamonix.

Also for India.. we are in India for 1 week before going to Sri Lanka and we are flying in and out of different airports so if they take it and say I can collect when I go home thats no good either!
2018-2-1
Use props
Njw83
lvl.4
United Kingdom

We are also doing a couple of internal flights in India so the chances of it getting found are quite high!
2018-2-1
Use props
fans6fcbfc93
United Kingdom

Some articles in the indian news are currently stating that drones will soon become legal (again) in India. Hopefully the law will pass before you go. Would be a shame not taking it with you!

Cheers,
2018-2-1
Use props
Davoice
Flight distance : 154236 ft
United States

Hi,
Were u able to bring the drone thru indian customs with no issue?
Going there in 2 weeks
2018-2-25
Use props
Rafi_m
lvl.4
Flight distance : 328957 ft
United States

Hello, i'm from India. I bought Mavic Pro from USA and came to India on Jan 2018. there was no issues with customs. I had the drone in check in baggage.
2018-2-26
Use props
Davoice
United States

Thank you. Do u know if is illegal to bring in drone and what will happenf if they see mine?
2018-2-26
Use props
Davoice
United States

I meant if customs see the drone
2018-2-26
Use props
Njw83
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Davoice Posted at 2018-2-25 22:20
Hi,
Were u able to bring the drone thru indian customs with no issue?
Going there in 2 weeks

We are going next week. I think I'm taking a DJI Spark as if it does get confiscated its not as expensive as my Mavic.
2018-2-26
Use props
Njw83
lvl.4
India

So lots of people ask this question before they travel but not many seem to update once they have travelled.

Well here is my update and I will try to update the main post as well.

I've just got to Delhi and it was fine. I actually sold my Mavic and bought a Spark but I presume the result would have been the same with either drone.

I put the spark in my checked luggage, just wrapped in-between clothes along with the controller. The batteries and propellers were split between my checked luggage and my hand luggage so I had a spare set in each bag just in case one bag got searched.

NONE of our bags got searched or scanned coming into Delhi.

We have to fly out of Jaipur on Saturday into Kochi and then out of Kochi to Sri Lanka so I'll update again after we have been through those airports.
2018-3-5
Use props
BVPRITTWITZ
United Kingdom

Hey Njw83, what is the update? Did you manage to get the drone into Sri Lanka? Going there myself in July and dont want to go through all the headaches of licences etc. Thanks
2018-3-7
Use props
chiplifter
Captain
Flight distance : 745180 ft
Netherlands

BVPRITTWITZ Posted at 2018-3-7 02:37
Hey Njw83, what is the update? Did you manage to get the drone into Sri Lanka? Going there myself in July and dont want to go through all the headaches of licences etc. Thanks

I go to Sri Lanka april 1. I leave my Mavic at home with pain in my heart. The paperwork to get flying permits is horrible in Sri Lanka. Don't want to risk my Mavic taken by some official or official-wannabee.
2018-3-7
Use props
BVPRITTWITZ
United Kingdom

chiplifter Posted at 2018-3-7 03:17
I go to Sri Lanka april 1. I leave my Mavic at home with pain in my heart. The paperwork to get flying permits is horrible in Sri Lanka. Don't want to risk my Mavic taken by some official or official-wannabee.

Well , I suppose they would give it back to you once you leave the country. Currently there is a bad situation in Sri Lanka due to an incident las weekend, so all social media , internet etc has been restricted and cut down(got a friend there just now and he cannot connect to whatsapp,facebook or similar). Not sure if this will affect even more the difficulty of entering the country with a drone...
2018-3-7
Use props
chiplifter
Captain
Netherlands

BVPRITTWITZ Posted at 2018-3-7 12:42
Well , I suppose they would give it back to you once you leave the country. Currently there is a bad situation in Sri Lanka due to an incident las weekend, so all social media , internet etc has been restricted and cut down(got a friend there just now and he cannot connect to whatsapp,facebook or similar). Not sure if this will affect even more the difficulty of entering the country with a drone...

Seriously, what kind of incident happened there, I didn't hear anyrhing of it. Should you worry as a tourist?
2018-3-7
Use props
Njw83
lvl.4
India

Not been to Sri Lanka yet. Was due to go on the 12th but will keep an eye on the news to see what the civil unrest is like there before we travel.

So far I've just had to bring the drone through Delhi Airport and it was not seen so no problems.
2018-3-8
Use props
chiplifter
Captain
Netherlands

chiplifter Posted at 2018-3-7 12:57
Seriously, what kind of incident happened there, I didn't hear anyrhing of it. Should you worry as a tourist?

nevermind, Sometimes new travels slow. Was in the news yesterday.
2018-3-8
Use props
BVPRITTWITZ
United Kingdom

Njw83 Posted at 2018-3-8 00:38
Not been to Sri Lanka yet. Was due to go on the 12th but will keep an eye on the news to see what the civil unrest is like there before we travel.

So far I've just had to bring the drone through Delhi Airport and it was not seen so no problems.

Thanks a lot for your update. Le me know how you get on and stay safe mate.
2018-3-10
Use props
BVPRITTWITZ
United Kingdom

chiplifter Posted at 2018-3-8 00:43
nevermind, Sometimes new travels slow. Was in the news yesterday.

yes, well lets see how it goes on. Got no new updates from my mate who is currently there. I have asked  him to ask a bit around regarding drones. Seems some people there are more amazed of seeing a drone than actually complaining about it.
2018-3-10
Use props
Njw83
lvl.4
India

another UPDATE. flew from Jaipur to Kochi and no issues. little Spark still safe and sound in my bag. The bag was scanned at Jaipur as you enter the airport but either they didn't see it or didn't care. No scans as you exit the domestic terminal at Kochi.
2018-3-10
Use props
BVPRITTWITZ
United Kingdom

Njw83 Posted at 2018-3-10 21:36
another UPDATE. flew from Jaipur to Kochi and no issues. little Spark still safe and sound in my bag. The bag was scanned at Jaipur as you enter the airport but either they didn't see it or didn't care. No scans as you exit the domestic terminal at Kochi.

great news! Keep it up and lets see how it went today. If Im not wrong you were going to SriLanka today? hope you get in with no issues
2018-3-12
Use props
Njw83
lvl.4
Sri Lanka

another UPDATE.

And since being in Sri Lanka I've used the little spark twice. The local kids love it.
2018-3-14
Use props
BVPRITTWITZ
United Kingdom

Njw83 Posted at 2018-3-14 09:19
another UPDATE.

great stuff!!!! Enjoy mate and thanks a lot for the updates.
2018-3-14
Use props
Njw83
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Final UPDATE.

Just got back home.

Never had an issue travelling with the DJI Spark. I had it packed in my hold luggage whenever we went through airports and they went through scanners in Delhi, Jaipur and Kochi airports with no issues.

I obviously didn't even try to fly in India but I used it a lot in Sri Lanka and never had an issue with anyone asking for a permit etc.

Very happy I took it with me!
2018-3-28
Use props
BVPRITTWITZ
United Kingdom

Njw83 Posted at 2018-3-28 00:59
Final UPDATE.

Just got back home.

Thanks a lot for your update. After all that I will take the mavic pro with me for sure  to Sri Lanka and Maldives. Really looking forward to July.

Have a good day!
2018-3-29
Use props
Njw83
lvl.4
United Kingdom

BVPRITTWITZ Posted at 2018-3-29 12:13
Thanks a lot for your update. After all that I will take the mavic pro with me for sure  to Sri Lanka and Maldives. Really looking forward to July.

Have a good day!

Do it! I met a couple of other people with Mavic's and Sparks. At one point in Ella at Nine Arch Bridge there were 4 of us flying at the same time trying to get a shot of the train passing. 1x Phantom, 1x Mavic and 2x Spark
2018-3-30
Use props
Marian
Second Officer
Flight distance : 340597 ft

Hi Njw83,

I love the fact that you update! I am totally with you on that, most people ask but only a few reply with their results.
2018-3-30
Use props
Wachtberger
Captain
Flight distance : 261509 ft

Final UPDATE.

Just got back home.

And now we are looking forward to your footage! :-)
2018-3-30
Use props
chiplifter
Captain
Netherlands

Final UPDATE.

Just got back home.

Thanks for all your updates. I travel next sunday to Sri Lanka. Thanks to you and info from other forum users I'll be brave enough to bring my Mavic. If nothing is confiscated I hope to post some footage in a couple of weeks.
2018-3-30
Use props
Njw83
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Wachtberger Posted at 2018-3-30 04:47
And now we are looking forward to your footage! :-)

Some panorama pics taken from the very impressive DJI Spark.

2018-4-2
Use props
Njw83
lvl.4
United Kingdom

2018-4-2
Use props
Njw83
lvl.4
United Kingdom

2018-4-2
Use props
Wachtberger
Captain
Flight distance : 261509 ft

Great pictures, thank you very much!
2018-4-2
Use props
jimsee84
Flight distance : 142680 ft
Malaysia

Njw83 Posted at 2018-3-5 15:29

Well here is my update and I will try to update the main post as well.

So the best way to avoid confiscated is to put our drone in our Checked In Luggage rather than hand carry ?

I'm bringing my mavic air to India next month May.
2018-4-5
Use props
BVPRITTWITZ
United Kingdom

chiplifter Posted at 2018-3-7 12:57

I don't think you should worry. My mate is back and safe in the UK and just keeps telling me how great SriLanka was.
2018-4-5
Use props
BVPRITTWITZ
United Kingdom

amazing pics Njw83!!!!
2018-4-5
Use props
Njw83
lvl.4
United Kingdom

jimsee84 Posted at 2018-4-5 03:09
So the best way to avoid confiscated is to put our drone in our Checked In Luggage rather than hand carry ?

I'm bringing my mavic air to India next month May.

This would be my advice based on my experience yes.

Although if your only going to India I'd question the point as even if you get it into the country I wouldn't advice flying it. Security everywhere was much higher than I expected and I wouldn't try flying one anywhere in the country personally.

If your just passing through India then yes the above method will be fine but dont bother otherwise.
2018-4-5
Use props
Njw83
lvl.4
United Kingdom

BVPRITTWITZ Posted at 2018-4-5 09:33
I don't think you should worry. My mate is back and safe in the UK and just keeps telling me how great SriLanka was.

There was just some rioting in Kandy for a short time but it was all over by the time we got there and that was 2-3 weeks ago already now.
2018-4-5
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules