1880 15 2018-1-31
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
SeanGalbraith
lvl.4
Flight distance : 891404 ft
  • >>>
Canada

I know how to keep my batteries warm for flying in the winter... but any tips for keeping the phone warm? I have an iPhone 7 and when I'm flying in temps around -5C and below (I've flown down to around -15C or so), my phone screen locks up from the cold and then shuts down (not great). Any other cold weather flyers have tips for keeping it going?
2018-1-31
Use props
SeanGalbraith
lvl.4
  • >>>
Canada

(I should note that there have been zero problems with the Spark flying in these temps (including in the snow) or the remote working.)
2018-1-31
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Oh wow, that is not too good.
Never knew these iPhones could not take the cold.
The only thing I can think of is a sunhood for your phone. That should shield it somehow.
Maybe combined with a rubber case or something.
2018-1-31
Use props
Solestacz
lvl.4
Flight distance : 489193 ft
United States

strap/stick one of those little handwarmer packets to the back. use an insulating layer between it and the phone case if you think it'll get too warm.
2018-1-31
Use props
SeanGalbraith
lvl.4
  • >>>
Canada

Solestacz Posted at 2018-1-31 07:17
strap/stick one of those little handwarmer packets to the back. use an insulating layer between it and the phone case if you think it'll get too warm.

I've considered that... but I'm not sure if it would help. Going to give it a go.
2018-1-31
Use props
SeanGalbraith
lvl.4
  • >>>
Canada

Montfrooij Posted at 2018-1-31 06:56
Oh wow, that is not too good.
Never knew these iPhones could not take the cold.
The only thing I can think of is a sunhood for your phone. That should shield it somehow.

All phones have a temp that they can't really go below (and a max heat). Things just start shutting down (like my fingers).
2018-1-31
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

SeanGalbraith Posted at 2018-1-31 07:33
All phones have a temp that they can't really go below (and a max heat). Things just start shutting down (like my fingers).

Yes, but -5 is not too cold I think.
2018-1-31
Use props
SeanGalbraith
lvl.4
  • >>>
Canada

Montfrooij Posted at 2018-1-31 07:34
Yes, but -5 is not too cold I think.

The phone's operating specs are 0C to 35C.
The cold temp causes the chemical reaction in the battery to slow down, and the phone runs out of power. Warming the phone back up = phone works again. Its not unique to iPhones.
2018-1-31
Use props
TranceMist
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1661591 ft
United States

Get an external battery pack for your phone and keep it plugged in, the action charging it should keep it warm as well as provide the extra juice.

Also, if your phone shuts down too quickly in cold weather, espeially when the battery level indicator is showing that you have about 25% then you may likely have a problem with your battery.
The iPhone batteries typically have 4 cells, and when you get to 25% it switches to the last cell, but if that cell is bad and doesn't provide enough juice the phone shuts down.
2018-1-31
Use props
djiuser_yxfdr03jCyHh
lvl.4
Flight distance : 338222 ft
Canada

I've been known to be lazy at times. Also live in Canada where it's been cold. I have Launched then sat in my truck and enjoyed the heat lol. Flying in front of truck where I can see.
2018-1-31
Use props
SeanGalbraith
lvl.4
  • >>>
Canada

TranceMist Posted at 2018-1-31 07:50
Get an external battery pack for your phone and keep it plugged in, the action charging it should keep it warm as well as provide the extra juice.

Also, if your phone shuts down too quickly in cold weather, espeially when the battery level indicator is showing that you have about 25% then you may likely have a problem with your battery.

Good suggestion. Thanks!
2018-1-31
Use props
BeastMaster_101
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1082992 ft
Canada

Yes I always warm up the batteries and my phone before flying. This ensures better performance. Also I forgot to warm my phone once before flying after the first flight battery % went from about 90% to 25%. (it was -22C here in Canada) Definitely warm up spark batteries and your phone before flying.
Happy flying!
2018-1-31
Use props
DJI Elektra
DJI team
Hong Kong

Hi, guys. We would not recommend users fly below 0°C. And it may affect the flight performance of spark. Please warm up the spark if you want to fly in cold weather before flight. Thanks for your support.
2018-1-31
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

SeanGalbraith Posted at 2018-1-31 07:40
The phone's operating specs are 0C to 35C.
The cold temp causes the chemical reaction in the battery to slow down, and the phone runs out of power. Warming the phone back up = phone works again. Its not unique to iPhones.

Ok.
I know about cold affecting the electronics, but always thought that was a bit colder.
2018-1-31
Use props
eYeSkYeYe
Second Officer

Croatia

Funny fact: Every time I try to keep my phone warm, I end up butt dialing someone random from my contacts list. So, I gave it up completely.
2018-1-31
Use props
MKPSG12
lvl.4
Flight distance : 341073 ft
United Kingdom

I have an Iphone 6, or rather i have a 'new' one now, i'd had the phone for 2-3 years and the battery was really badly affected by the cold (it would drop 30-40% of the battery within minutes of being cold etc). I eventually went to get the battery replaced but they couldn't do it for some reason and ended up giving me a brand new handset, i've not had any problems in the cold since. An Iphones battery should be good for 500-800 charges (or so the 'genius' in the store told me) so i've you're getting near that it might be time to get a new battery fitted.
2018-2-1
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules