I'm an idiot. How to charge remote...
12061 26 2018-1-31
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Damager
lvl.4
Flight distance : 9052 ft
United States

I know the answer will be fairly straightforward and I'll slap my own forehead, but I'm standing here unpacking my Mavic Air and cannot for the life of me figure out how to charge the remote.  I know it has a charge port on the left side, which is microusb, but which set of connectors do I string together to charge this from the USB port on the charging block?

Thanks in advance.
2018-1-31
Use props
PS013
First Officer
Flight distance : 3579409 ft
United States

You received an adapter in the bag with the 2 spare stick for the remote.

It took me also a few seconds to figure it out.
2018-1-31
Use props
drn3px69
Second Officer
Flight distance : 213268 ft
Argentina

2018-1-31
Use props
Damager
lvl.4
United States

Ah yes!  Thank you!  

I was thrown by the difference in the shape between the small adapter and the opening on the remote.
2018-1-31
Use props
S.D. Pilot
Captain
Flight distance : 10278435 ft
  • >>>
United States

Damager, make sure you don't damage the Air Mav.
2018-1-31
Use props
Nebuchadnezzar
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 3462946 ft
  • >>>
Spain

Enjoy & fly safe
2018-1-31
Use props
UPTGrad
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1447884 ft
  • >>>
United States

Damager Posted at 2018-1-31 10:21
Ah yes!  Thank you!  

I was thrown by the difference in the shape between the small adapter and the opening on the remote.

Well... you were not the only one!  
I never saw the USB adapter in the bag either.
I used another Micro cable to charge it till I figured it out.  :>)
2018-1-31
Use props
Damager
lvl.4
United States

S.D. Pilot Posted at 2018-1-31 10:44
Damager, make sure you don't damage the Air Mav.

For sure - I guess my Forum name isn't the best one for a drone forum.  Not my first DJI product - I've had a Phantom 4 for a while now.  
2018-1-31
Use props
lifeofpiluckan
lvl.4
Flight distance : 131309 ft
South Africa

Just got mine as well and was actually the other way around in that I saw the adapter and didn't know where it went for a moment. Seems really silly with the whole array of peripheral cords and wires to have an adapter for the charging of the remote - I am sure there is a reason for it but i am also sure that I will surely loose that tiny adapter sooner or later....
2018-1-31
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13926112 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Now thats sorted good luck on your first flight
2018-1-31
Use props
Griffith
Second Officer
Flight distance : 98537 ft
United States

Damager Posted at 2018-1-31 10:21
Ah yes!  Thank you!  

I was thrown by the difference in the shape between the small adapter and the opening on the remote.

Same here. Adapter didn't look like it should fit the RC. .......  finally read the instructions :-)
2018-1-31
Use props
A CW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Griffith Posted at 2018-1-31 11:46
Same here. Adapter didn't look like it should fit the RC. .......  finally read the instructions :-)

Yep - always best to read the manual and refer back to it a few times before heading out - I imagine there is nothing worse in this hobby than coming home without your drone!
2018-1-31
Use props
fansc5ce4b29
lvl.2
Flight distance : 176312 ft
United States

Griffith Posted at 2018-1-31 11:46

Same thing here. Not sure why DJI designed the port this way, but I'm sure plenty people will break the controller port because of this bad design.

The port is actually a normal micro USB port, but for some reason dji decided to put a proprietary square microusb port for its controller to phone cable, but this "square" port does not have the normal micro USB design so the charge adapter can be inserted the wrong way.

I couldn't figure this out when I first got it, because I tried plugging in the adapter the wrong way, looked at it (adapter end is normal microUSB), and visually inspecting it its natural to assume the adapter is not designed for that port.

Either change the adapter to your proprietary microusb connector, or change the controller port to a normal microusb.
2018-1-31
Use props
MiniPalourde
lvl.4
Flight distance : 7 ft
Canada

You should watch a Youtube guide so you don't miss anything.
2018-1-31
Use props
S.D. Pilot
Captain
Flight distance : 10278435 ft
  • >>>
United States

Damager Posted at 2018-1-31 10:58
For sure - I guess my Forum name isn't the best one for a drone forum.  Not my first DJI product - I've had a Phantom 4 for a while now.

"I've had a Phantom 4 for a while now.  "

Good stuff; then you'll be just fine.
2018-1-31
Use props
Griffith
Second Officer
United States

A CW Posted at 2018-1-31 12:00
Yep - always best to read the manual and refer back to it a few times before heading out - I imagine there is nothing worse in this hobby than coming home without your drone!

I usually get around to reading the manual before I fly,  but my test of product design is how intuitive the process is.  So I must say that requiring an adapter on the charging cable is NOT intuitive and therefore a design flaw :-).  

I actually tried the adapter initially, but it didn't seem to fit into the RC - or even look like it should fit.
2018-2-1
Use props
A CW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Griffith Posted at 2018-2-1 06:56
I usually get around to reading the manual before I fly,  but my test of product design is how intuitive the process is.  So I must say that requiring an adapter on the charging cable is NOT intuitive and therefore a design flaw :-).  

I actually tried the adapter initially, but it didn't seem to fit into the RC - or even look like it should fit.

It does seem a bit odd to me too - even seen posts on here with new Air owners saying it's missing and they can't charge the RC because of it!
2018-2-1
Use props
Griffith
Second Officer
United States

A CW Posted at 2018-2-1 07:52
It does seem a bit odd to me too - even seen posts on here with new Air owners saying it's missing and they can't charge the RC because of it!

It could easily be missed.  As I recall,  it was in a stamp-size bag - perhaps with the spare RC sticks.

The detachable RC sticks, BTW, are great.  The MP should have them.  They unscrew easily and are stored within the phone mount arms area.
2018-2-2
Use props
TheFlamingOnion
lvl.4

United States

I wish they would just used the USB-C port for both video and to charge the MAVIC
2018-2-2
Use props
Kyle Stones
lvl.2
Flight distance : 36 ft
United States

PS013 Posted at 2018-1-31 10:09

i was going crazy looking for the adapter, i thought it was bigger based off the picture so i didnt look in that bag until much later on
2018-2-2
Use props
A CW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Griffith Posted at 2018-2-2 06:11
It could easily be missed.  As I recall,  it was in a stamp-size bag - perhaps with the spare RC sticks.

The detachable RC sticks, BTW, are great.  The MP should have them.  They unscrew easily and are stored within the phone mount arms area.

I got an incase compression case from Apple for my MPP - doesn't need any cover and is fully protected. I can see the removable sticks getting lost or becoming loose overtime + it will add to the set up time too. Good idea for those who carry their drone equipment in a jacket but thats not me LOL
2018-2-2
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

Hi Damager, I hope you already figured out the issue, we have made it clear in user manual about how to charge the RC, please read the manual. GTScreenshot_20180205_143657.png
If there is any further issue, please keep us updated, thanks for your support to DJI.
2018-2-4
Use props
Tomcatuk
Second Officer
Flight distance : 28743 ft
United Kingdom

PS013 Posted at 2018-1-31 10:09

The most confusing part is the different shape plug, I got onto support before pushing it in, a round plug (sort of)  into a rectangle socket very strange,  shame they never made it the same shape as the controller cable's.
Now the controller is charging... phew!
2018-2-5
Use props
PS013
First Officer
United States

Tomcatuk Posted at 2018-2-5 06:08
The most confusing part is the different shape plug, I got onto support before pushing it in, a round plug (sort of)  into a rectangle socket very strange,  shame they never made it the same shape as the controller cable's.
Now the controller is charging... phew!

yes, round plug and rectangular socket ... quite puzzling
But I am glad to read that you are now all powered up!

2018-2-6
Use props
Acenspades
lvl.3
United States

C'mon man,,,,the thing came with instructions right?
2018-2-6
Use props
VLOGNOSIS
lvl.3
United States

Acenspades Posted at 2018-2-6 15:09

The instructions leave out major steps & generally require the pilot to "fill in the blanks". This is just one example - nowhere does it tell you to fit a micro usb connector into a proprietary rectangular connector, nor which way was up. Also, the illustration in my manual looks very different than the one posted a few comments above. I guess they made some changes to the documentation before mine was printed?
Anwyay, I would never have guessed if I didn't find this discussion! Thank you so very much!
2018-2-6
Use props
PS013
First Officer
United States

Acenspades Posted at 2018-2-6 15:09

Yes, it is in the manual BUT the manual was released 1 day after this thread was created.
Also, it TRUE that the quick start guide mention the adapter ( see attached picture ) but it is not clear at all ... and the adapter is REALLY small ...

Finally, the shape of the adapter and socket do not help much

2018-2-6
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules