OTG cable
1333 18 2018-1-31
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Fabic
lvl.4
Brazil

Hi guys:

Anyway, do I use or not use the OTG cable on my flights with Spark? I use Iphone 6s.
Thanks

2018-1-31
Use props
Grmachine
lvl.4
United States

Use, works great on IOS.
2018-1-31
Use props
dj_dread
Second Officer
Flight distance : 648399 ft
Romania

not recommended by DJI, but it works
2018-1-31
Use props
Fabic
lvl.4
Brazil

Ok....
2018-1-31
Use props
teknikal90
lvl.2
Flight distance : 106601 ft
Canada

not sure if dji care covers it if anything goes wrong while using the OTG cable though
2018-1-31
Use props
m1n1s
lvl.4
Flight distance : 319915 ft
United Kingdom

OTG rules , period
2018-1-31
Use props
FelBRax
lvl.2
Flight distance : 132717 ft
Brazil

OTG is a Must for me.
WiFi is laggy compared to OTG.
But, unfortunately for Android users, only downgrading the app to version 4.1.15 to get everything working  perfectly.
2018-1-31
Use props
Locationscout_Bavaria
lvl.4
Flight distance : 62201 ft
Germany

FelBRax Posted at 2018-1-31 14:15
OTG is a Must for me.
WiFi is laggy compared to OTG.
But, unfortunately for Android users, only downgrading the app to version 4.1.15 to get everything working  perfectly.

can confirm that. Still lucky with fw 701, App 4.15 and OTG on Android in Europe.
2018-2-1
Use props
KurtVD
lvl.4
Flight distance : 365299 ft
Switzerland

Grmachine Posted at 2018-1-31 12:13
Use, works great on IOS.

Yes it does, but did you notice any difference? I didn't, I had exactly the same range, and everything else seemed to be the same, except that you have to plug in the cable, so I stopped using it. I understand it's different on Android, but what's the point on iOS?
2018-2-1
Use props
CoreyB10
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1665023 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

teknikal90 Posted at 2018-1-31 13:31
not sure if dji care covers it if anything goes wrong while using the OTG cable though

Not sure if DJI cares at all about this issue and getting it supported. Been going on for months now and no updates. Bit dissapointing really.
2018-2-1
Use props
mrbenjaminryder
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1010 ft
United Kingdom

Any recommendations on what cable/adapter to buy (available in the UK)? Going to connect it to a Samsung Galaxy S8.

Cheers!

Ben.
2018-2-1
Use props
Grmachine
lvl.4
United States

KurtVD Posted at 2018-2-1 06:01
Yes it does, but did you notice any difference? I didn't, I had exactly the same range, and everything else seemed to be the same, except that you have to plug in the cable, so I stopped using it. I understand it's different on Android, but what's the point on iOS?

OTG only effects the video latency, it is only a very slight difference unless you experience WiFi disruptions, OTG will not effect the link from RC to AC, only the link from RC to mobile device.
I’m a complete newbie and I admit it, DJI doesn’t support the OTG function, however all the other products use a hard line from RC to mobile device, Spark is the only one that has the primary connection WiFi, and the flight connection WiFi, seems to me like it could cause its own WiFi interference.
2018-2-1
Use props
RGMGFitness
Second Officer
Flight distance : 233757 ft
  • >>>
United States

To clarify, the DJI does NOT offically support OTG cable.  However, IF your on the newest DJI GO 4 App (vs 4.2.5) which just came out last night I'm hearing OTG IS still working with it.  It also works with previous DJI GO 4 App (vs 4.2.4). That being said if your in the USA than the SPARK flies just fine WITHOUT the cable and I recommend NOT using it only because you don't need to.  IF, however your outside the USA (ie. European Country) than you MAY want to use it because of interference issues which limit your flying distance without the OTG cable.  Hopefully that helps.  It really depends on what version of DJI GO 4 App your running, what country your in, and the phone your using.  In your case the iPhone seems to be working fine with OTG at the moment.  Just making it a little more clear as it's not a black/white issue with OTG.  I'm in the USA and NOT flying with it and everything works fine.  It just allows me to get in the air quicker without having to fiddle with an additional cable and I have no latency issues between my iPhone and the RC.  Hope that helps others as well.  
2018-2-1
Use props
eYeSkYeYe
Second Officer

United States

OP is from Brazil, so he might benefit from using OTG, I guess.
2018-2-1
Use props
Drone_Life
New
Flight distance : 159590 ft
United Kingdom

mrbenjaminryder Posted at 2018-2-1 06:15
Any recommendations on what cable/adapter to buy (available in the UK)? Going to connect it to a Samsung Galaxy S8.

Cheers!

You'll need something like this..

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Kismapl ... rds=dji+spark+usb+c
2018-2-1
Use props
Vyborny83
lvl.4
Flight distance : 166014 ft
Czechia

Grmachine Posted at 2018-2-1 06:21
OTG only effects the video latency, it is only a very slight difference unless you experience WiFi disruptions, OTG will not effect the link from RC to AC, only the link from RC to mobile device.
I’m a complete newbie and I admit it, DJI doesn’t support the OTG function, however all the other products use a hard line from RC to mobile device, Spark is the only one that has the primary connection WiFi, and the flight connection WiFi, seems to me like it could cause its own WiFi interference.

Actually ... in EU it does much more. Since the 5,8GHz band is banned in here (it is reserved for short range devices like indoor routers and remote control for garage doors ....) and even devices using it are severely limited in transmission power (compared to the FCC in the US) and the fact that Android phones does not support it a lot of people get about 50m range from a Spark with a RC using WiFi only connection. For us the OTG cable is a must.
2018-2-1
Use props
Grmachine
lvl.4
United States

Vyborny83 Posted at 2018-2-1 07:13
Actually ... in EU it does much more. Since the 5,8GHz band is banned in here (it is reserved for short range devices like indoor routers and remote control for garage doors ....) and even devices using it are severely limited in transmission power (compared to the FCC in the US) and the fact that Android phones does not support it a lot of people get about 50m range from a Spark with a RC using WiFi only connection. For us the OTG cable is a must.

That does make sense, because by eliminating the dual WiFi it would potentially allow the RC to AC connection to use all the WiFi power, instead of splitting it between two bands.

I could be wrong, I’m no network guy, but it seems logical.
2018-2-1
Use props
mrbenjaminryder
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1010 ft
United Kingdom

Drone_Life Posted at 2018-2-1 07:01
You'll need something like this..

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Kismaple-Cable-Android-Connect-Controller/dp/B0757F7LJM/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1517496931&sr=1-1&keywords=dji+spark+usb+c

Thanks very much!
2018-2-1
Use props
Flighty
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1977175 ft
Croatia

RE: OTG cable

KurtVD Posted at 2018-2-1 06:01
Yes it does, but did you notice any difference? I didn't, I had exactly the same range, and everything else seemed to be the same, except that you have to plug in the cable, so I stopped using it. I understand it's different on Android, but what's the point on iOS?

So totally agre with you. I use my iPad Air 2 with OTG and sometimes without. Very little difference either way.
2018-2-1
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules