Potentially add Palm Launch to Mavic Air?
4746 18 2018-1-31
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
SirPasta117
lvl.3
Flight distance : 400787 ft
  • >>>
United States

Palm Launch is one of my favorite features of the Spark and I noticed today when I got my Mavic Air that there is a button on the rear of the Drone. I wonder if it would be possible to add the palm launch take off controls to this button.

2018-1-31
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13838848 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Thats interesting - is it true the drone can take off from the ground using gestures?
2018-1-31
Use props
PS013
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3579409 ft
United States

A CW Posted at 2018-1-31 14:46
Thats interesting - is it true the drone can take off from the ground using gestures?

Yes it is see video 4 right here https://www.dji.com/mavic-air/info#video
2018-1-31
Use props
A CW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

PS013 Posted at 2018-1-31 14:55
Yes it is see video 4 right here https://www.dji.com/mavic-air/info#video

Wow - thats cool
2018-1-31
Use props
PS013
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3579409 ft
United States

Yes, but you still have to set the drone in 'Gesture mode' with the controller ...
It would be nice if you could do that with the push button on the back ...

May be there is a way, but since there is no manual available .. I could not figure it out (yet)
will try again tomorrow
2018-1-31
Use props
A CW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

May be it’s something they have planned in a future FW update - I wouldn’t play around with hand launching until you know for sure and the elusive manual is released. Enjoy and fly safe!  
2018-1-31
Use props
Gunship9
lvl.4
United States

I thought the start button was positioned so you couldn't hand launch.  The Air has some pretty big ridged props with motors powerful enough to lift the fat drone.  How big do props need to be to flay a finger?  Word to the wise would be to always launch from your least favorite hand.
2018-1-31
Use props
Gewch
lvl.1
Flight distance : 1988 ft
United States

This is direct from the Mavic Air marketing material:

Mavic Air’s ActiveTrack intelligent flight mode has been improved to automatically sense multiple subjects,  following your subject and keeping it in the frame with more precision, especially during high motion activities like running and cycling.

Powered by machine learning technology, SmartCapture (It is recommended to use Mavic Air’s propeller guards, when using SmartCapture) is an ultra-responsive control mode that makes shooting photos and videos effortless. With a maximum range of up to 20 feet (6 meters), you can give hand gesture commands to launch, follow, photograph, record, push, pull and land, letting you capture the moment from any angle without the need for a remote controller.

The marketing material says it is supported, but this thread makes it sound like the features are not supported or implemented in the Mavic Air?
2018-2-5
Use props
SirPasta117
lvl.3
Flight distance : 400787 ft
  • >>>
United States

It does have hand gestures but doesn’t have Palm launch. i.e. launching the drone while holding it in your hand and tapping the rear button
2018-2-5
Use props
xfirf_
lvl.4
Flight distance : 194911 ft

Are there any news about this from DJI?
2018-7-29
Use props
GDL
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2768694 ft
Singapore

MA won’t have palm launch and landing because of safety concern. I don’t think you will see DJI add this feature to MA in future upgrade.
2018-7-30
Use props
LordoftheFlies
lvl.3

Piece of cake, make sure you set the RTH before tossing.
2018-7-30
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
Second Officer
United States

LordoftheFlies Posted at 2018-7-30 20:42
Piece of cake, make sure you set the RTH before tossing. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PP0MWI-4Lss

Nicely done!
2018-7-30
Use props
LordoftheFlies
lvl.3

Piece of cake, make sure you set the RTH before tossing.
2018-7-30
Use props
LordoftheFlies
lvl.3

The first time I did this I wore a football helmet and welding gloves, but if you let the drone get a lock, it will fly stable about 2' from your face. SIDE NOTE: Let the MA hover for a good minute after you toss it. It has to work out what just happened.

The drone thinks the earth literally just caved in under it. So, let her stabilize a little, get a home point and detect a payload.
2018-7-30
Use props
KREMi
lvl.4
  • >>>
Poland

ok, but there is some missunderstanding Lord
it's not a problem to launch MA from hand (as seen on vid, when connected with remote, phone etc.. )

and it's also posible on MA to use smart gestures (so start with no remote/phone)

but it starts from ground... question is - can we start it from hand directly to smart gestures (like spark does)?
(like You on small boat, or in 1m tall grass and there is no place to put it on ground for a smart gestures start)

2018-7-31
Use props
CemAygun
lvl.4
Flight distance : 810 ft
Turkey

You can start the gesture mode (smart capture) without a controller or a phone. All you need to do is double click the function button at the back of the drone. But I don't think you can hand launch this way as somebody in front (and probably up, as the craft assumes it is sitting on the ground) of the craft has to take control and do the launch sign.  Once airborne it is simple to use the drone only by hand gestures....

PS: This is in the manual by the way, although it could have been stated more elaborately.

2018-7-31
Use props
djiuser_ZMzafuOyj9Co
New

Austria

PS013 Posted at 1-31 15:10
Yes, but you still have to set the drone in 'Gesture mode' with the controller ...
It would be nice if you could do that with the push button on the back ...

It is now possible to get your Mavic in Smart Capture mode without a phone/controller.
There is a button on the back of the Mavic Air; push it twice. It'll make a beep, and the camera will start looking up and down.
The drone is now in Smart Capture mode
2018-12-31
Use props
HereForTheBeer
Second Officer
Flight distance : 5381368 ft
  • >>>
United States

i would like to have a hand launch mode that also stays in sync with the RC properly..   plenty of places i wish i could easily hand launched the drone then grabbed the RC to continue.  or atleast a timed feature..like 10 second countdown then launches..  i been in a few instances where only option for the dorne is hand launching and hand catching and easy launch method even if it required a pro/expert mode toggle would be great..
2018-12-31
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules