Wifi in remote areas
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
coliwabl1
lvl.2

United States

What do folks do for wifi in remote areas such as the Rockies, Cascades, the Pacific Northwest coastline, etc.? Do you use a portable wifi unit that makes your vehicle, etc. a hotspot, etc.
2018-1-31
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

A cell phone can be a hotspot.

What are you needing wifi in the wilderness for?

RedHotPoker
2018-1-31
Use props
Aardvark
First Officer
Flight distance : 384432 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

" What do folks do for wifi in remote areas "

No wifi nor cell connection is required to fly. Any required maps can be cached at home if you know where you will be flying.

Also make sure you've logged into your account via DJI Go 4 (or DJI Go) App' before leaving home. A connection is not required for this when away from home, all the system needs to see is the App' has  'logged in' to a valid account previous to flight.
2018-1-31
Use props
coliwabl1
lvl.2

United States

Aardvark Posted at 2018-1-31 14:41
" What do folks do for wifi in remote areas "

No wifi nor cell connection is required to fly. Any required maps can be cached at home if you know where you will be flying.

I need wifi to capture video and photos?
2018-1-31
Use props
coliwabl1
lvl.2

United States

RedHotPoker Posted at 2018-1-31 14:28
A cell phone can be a hotspot.

What are you needing wifi in the wilderness for?

Video and stills plus need to see where I'm going in some cases. Maybe I am over thinking this. I know the GPS allows me to fly and I have not had problems with this yet (hope I do not either). I've got an IPAD as the device to connect to the Phantom.
2018-1-31
Use props
Aardvark
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

coliwabl1 Posted at 2018-1-31 16:30
I need wifi to capture video and photos?

You don't need wifi to capture video and photos, they are stored in the SD card in the aircraft.

Which aircraft do you have ?
2018-1-31
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

coliwabl1 Posted at 2018-1-31 16:33
Video and stills plus need to see where I'm going in some cases. Maybe I am over thinking this. I know the GPS allows me to fly and I have not had problems with this yet (hope I do not either). I've got an IPAD as the device to connect to the Phantom.

Yes, over thinking. But not wrong to ask, to understand and learn what works, is smart.
It sure beats a lost drone, or not enjoying your purchase to the fullest.

Yes, your pics and videos are stored in the drone on the micro sd card.

Acquiring a second or even a third sd card would be a good idea.

RedHotPoker
2018-1-31
Use props
coliwabl1
lvl.2

United States

RedHotPoker Posted at 2018-1-31 16:45
Yes, over thinking. But not wrong to ask, to understand and learn what works, is smart.
It sure beats a lost drone, or not enjoying your purchase to the fullest.

Have many sd cards. It's the wifi I'm working on. I've now got some ideas for this and must test them. Locally of course, I have no problem in the wifi area, other than an occasional cutout.
2018-2-1
Use props
coliwabl1
lvl.2

United States

Aardvark Posted at 2018-1-31 16:37
You don't need wifi to capture video and photos, they are stored in the SD card in the aircraft.

Which aircraft do you have ?

But I do need the wifi to see through the camera, correct? Otherwise, I'm guessing. Not only that, I need the wifi to be able to see where I'm going, etc. and to avoid obstacles. I have the Phantom 4 Pro. While it does avoid obstacles, I feel safer seeing them.
2018-2-1
Use props
Aardvark
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

coliwabl1 Posted at 2018-2-1 08:38
But I do need the wifi to see through the camera, correct? Otherwise, I'm guessing. Not only that, I need the wifi to be able to see where I'm going, etc. and to avoid obstacles. I have the Phantom 4 Pro. While it does avoid obstacles, I feel safer seeing them.

You do not need wifi to connect to the aircraft, the P4P system uses its own proprietary radio protocol called 'Lightbridge' to transmit the First Person View (FPV) from the aircrafts camera to your RC then via USB to your display.

Yes this operates on the same frequency bands, 2.4 & 5.8 GHz as used by wifi (licence free for anybody to use) but it is not wifi. The aircraft and the RC talk directly to each other with no need for any other external link.

I would suggest you have a good read of the manual, paying particular attention to the section on RTH, as RTH is not fail safe and needs to be well understood , and practiced in an open area, before you fly further afield.
2018-2-1
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

But I do need the wifi to see through the camera, correct? Otherwise, I'm guessing. Not only that, I need the wifi to be able to see where I'm going, etc. and to avoid obstacles. I have the Phantom 4 Pro. While it does avoid obstacles, I feel safer seeing them.

Grasshopper, no you do not need any wifi to fly and or record video or still images.

What you need is to watch more YouTube videos and experiment with your drone.

But no, you don't need wifi. Only at home, to chat with us... Haha

As stated, pics are recorded in the drone. All you control is the flying and camera functions.

RedHotPoker
2018-2-1
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

For a test, unplug your home wifi modem, and try the drones functionality. Test the camera, gimbal, and you could even hover for s few moments. Just so you learn through experience that no wifi is necessary.
Perhaps this is the only way you will believe us, learn and enjoy your aircraft.

RedHotPoker
2018-2-1
Use props
AlanHd
First Officer
Flight distance : 797365 ft
United Kingdom

Can I ask where you got the impression you needed WiFi  to get FPV.
2018-2-1
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules