Using futaba 14sg with A2 flight controller
8284 10 2015-4-27
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
project41
lvl.2

United Kingdom

hi can anyone answer a question for me regarding futaba fasst and the A2 controller.
If you use a futaba 14sg radio set how many channels will the built in receiver in the A2 allow you to use,
What do futaba users recommend as a transmitter to allow you to access all of the feature on the A2 controller
Such as return home, intelligent landing gear, banked turn etc.
With my current setup using graupner I have to use the s bus adaptor and this restricts me
To a maximum of 8 channels I can use on the A2 meaning I can not use all of its functions.
I had a look in the manual for the A2 and it is not clear, it just refers to the dji dr16  as an equivalent
So does this mean I can access 16 channels in theory
I am not familiar with futaba hence the question for those out there that have experience with
It and know the setup
Thanks...  I look forward to the reply
2015-4-27
Use props
HMArnold.msn
lvl.4
Flight distance : 24012 ft
United States

It might be that the reason you're not getting responses to this thread is that most of us have a Lightbridge system, which means we don't use radio frequency to get the signal to the A2.

The Lightbridge has plugs on the back of the Futaba(s) that carry the signal to the Lightbridge ground unit, which transmits its own signal up to the Lightbridge air unit, which transfers the Futaba stick and switch commands to the A2 using the CAN bus.

Here is a link from someone named Danny who did a heck of a lot of study and describes the Futaba channel setup to get what usually is 2 Futaba 14Sg units down to a single unit.

It might be of some help to you, but he also is using the wire to the Lightbridge.

http://forum.dji.com/forum.php?m ... age%3D1&lang=en

2015-4-29
Use props
project41
lvl.2

United Kingdom

Many thanks for the reply, I tried the light bridge with the graupner setup and i was not happy with it. After some research i am now changing over from Graupner to Futaba and have purchased the 14SG.
I will try the conventional setup first and then look into the light bridge route again latter.

My faith in the light bridge has been restored a bit now after purchasing the Inspire 1, i have been flying it for a week now and i have to say i am impressed even though a lot of people have been knocking it, yep its expensive and you need to do your research and don't just update the firmware to the latest version.
I bought mine from heliguy.com and their tech support has been great, i got the latest version with the new locking props and they advised me on what version of firmware to run.
Its exactly the same situation we have with PC and phone upgrades except the consequences can be a lot more severe.

the inspire has allowed me the time to strip the S900 and learn futaba, Grtaupner MC32 and MX 18 going…. anyone interested ??
2015-4-29
Use props
HMArnold.msn
lvl.4
Flight distance : 24012 ft
United States

If it helps at all, Lightbridge is about the only thing on my S1000+ setup I haven't had trouble with. The video link seems to start to fuzz out at a distance of about 600/700 meters, but the control signals still work past that.
2015-4-29
Use props
ggoodlett
Second Officer
Flight distance : 27978153 ft
  • >>>
United States

I currently use a 14sg with the A2 built in receiver. I now have 11 channels mapped and working properly. I think you could map all 14 if desired.
2015-4-29
Use props
project41
lvl.2

United Kingdom

Just got my T14SG and am working through the manual, the bit i am struggling with is how to make a 3 position switch into a 2 position switch, i.e off at the back, mid point on and forward position on, i want to set this up so that if you use the go home function it dosnt matter if you put the switch into either position it will still activate the command, any ideas ?? I don't seem to have the facility available in the function menu, all i can do is select the switch to the channel .
The futaba does not seem as well built as my old graupner sets but it connected to the A2 with no problem and i now have all the channels available.
Quite a bit more programming and testing before i try the first test flight.
2015-5-2
Use props
ggoodlett
Second Officer
Flight distance : 27978153 ft
  • >>>
United States

project41@me.co Posted at 2015-5-2 21:06
Just got my T14SG and am working through the manual, the bit i am struggling with is how to make a 3 ...

To set a three position switch to off, off, on is easy and there is probably more than one way to do it.
I just used a combination of sub trim and endpoints to get the results I desired.
2015-5-2
Use props
project41
lvl.2

United Kingdom

yep that does it …. thanks, its always the small things that catch me out when learning a new radio set, its like learning a new language
2015-5-2
Use props
quality
lvl.2

United States

ggoodlett@aol.c Posted at 2015-4-29 10:16
I currently use a 14sg with the A2 built in receiver. I now have 11 channels mapped and working properly. I think you could map all 14 if desired.

I realize this thread is pretty old but I'm having similar questions with my futaba 14SG and my A2 on the DJI s900. I can get the futaba to talk with the A2 when I'm in FASST- MULT mode but I want to be able to use the futaba's telemetry functions which aren't available in FASST- MULT, only FASSTTest-14CH and FASSTTest-12CH.

According to the A2 manual FASST(MULT,MLT2, 7CH) are supported. Does this mean I can't get the 12 or 14 channel modes to talk to the A2? Its all very confusing...why would the A2 be able to talk to the transmitter in 7CH and MULT modes and yet not in the other modes. I have 8 or 9 channels mapped in MULT mode and it works fine...but like I said I'd like to use the 14CH mode.  According to the assistant software I'm running the latest firmware.
2017-1-31
Use props
quality
lvl.2

United States

quality Posted at 2017-1-31 11:07
I realize this thread is pretty old but I'm having similar questions with my futaba 14SG and my A2 on the DJI s900. I can get the futaba to talk with the A2 when I'm in FASST- MULT mode but I want to be able to use the futaba's telemetry functions which aren't available in FASST- MULT, only FASSTTest-14CH and FASSTTest-12CH.

According to the A2 manual FASST(MULT,MLT2, 7CH) are supported. Does this mean I can't get the 12 or 14 channel modes to talk to the A2? Its all very confusing...why would the A2 be able to talk to the transmitter in 7CH and MULT modes and yet not in the other modes. I have 8 or 9 channels mapped in MULT mode and it works fine...but like I said I'd like to use the 14CH mode.  According to the assistant software I'm running the latest firmware.

Ok, I think I found my answer...unfortunately it would appear that the FASTTest system that futaba uses is only compatible with their receivers. So to make this work I could get a futaba R7008SB receiver and then connect that to the A2 via the instructions listed here:
https://www.dronevibes.com/forum ... -futaba-14cg.22060/

Posting this for anyone else who might need it in the future.
2017-1-31
Use props
rstekeur
lvl.2
Flight distance : 167477 ft
United States

quality Posted at 2017-1-31 12:31
Ok, I think I found my answer...unfortunately it would appear that the FASTTest system that futaba uses is only compatible with their receivers. So to make this work I could get a futaba R7008SB receiver and then connect that to the A2 via the instructions listed here:
https://www.dronevibes.com/forums/threads/sbus-receiver-with-a2-r7008sb-with-futaba-14cg.22060/

I have my 14sg bound to the a2. I’m only able to get 12 channels
2018-3-13
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules