Broken Quick Release Mounting Plate
3076 18 2015-4-27
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Bkackman
lvl.3
Flight distance : 3445020 ft
United States

I came back from a weekend and removed the Inspire from its case for an early morning flight. I was putting on the quick release props.  One of the props didn't go on smoothly.  That caused me to look at it a bit more carefully. When I removed the prop to look, I found the mounting plate (which is plastic) had broken at a line that went straight between the screw holes.
I hadn't had any mishaps that could cause this for over a week's flights. One week ago I had an unplanned take-off in my livingroom where I lost two propellers in a dual with a dining room chair. I suspect mounting plate was cracked at this time (one prop had broken at the hub). I had put new props (this position had been one of them), but didn't detect any problems at that time and have flown several times since.
I'm not quite sure what flight failure this might have cause if I missed it.  Given the location of the split line due to the break, the screws would no longer hold the plate down. However, the plate would not have been able to spin under the propeller since the screws would still retard that movement. It is also trapped from escaping by the propeller. So maybe nothing would have happended.
In any case, I removed it and will try to superglue it.  In the meantime I'm using a self tightening prop with a prop lock in that position. The ESC should account for any minor difference in flight characteristics of that propeller.

2015-04-27 17.44.51.jpg
2015-4-27
Use props
kgarrison
Second Officer
Flight distance : 11736709 ft
  • >>>
United States

In the US you can order replacements/extras
http://www.multicopterwarehouse. ... onnect?search=quick
2015-4-27
Use props
mountmotor
lvl.4

United States

If I were you, I would not superglue it...WAY TOO RISKY...
2015-4-27
Use props
mountmotor
lvl.4

United States

Also, I would put all the older props back on instead of just using one...You are risking too much man...The newer blades are slightly different so I would not want to risk it...Either use all four old ones, or buy another pair of the new ones.
2015-4-27
Use props
bostonlines
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1045558 ft
United States

Please don't use superglue. Structural integrity is lost once it broke in two. If a prop comes off, it will be a falling brick. I would strongly suggest you use all four of the same props like Mount mentioned.
2015-4-27
Use props
PeteGould
lvl.4

United States

bostonlines@gma Posted at 2015-4-28 12:12
Please don't use superglue. Structural integrity is lost once it broke in two. If a prop comes off,  ...

+1 on what the other guys are saying.  Superglue on plastic is a really poor joint - and considering how many RPM we're talking about, even the best glued joint isn't good enough.  A replacement quick mount kit (for two motors) is $4.  $4 and some order time weighed against risk of loss of the drone?  Shouldn't be a hard decision.
2015-4-27
Use props
Bkackman
lvl.3
United States

Thanks for the feedback. Won't rely on superglue. Have replacement mounting kit on the way from San Diego. Should have it in a couple of days. Will remove quick release props and use older props until them.

Appreciate the advice and input.
2015-4-27
Use props
Captain Obvious
lvl.4

Australia

Is that a tiny Google Eye face on that top peice lol (The white mark)

2015-4-27
Use props
Muzzy
lvl.2

United Kingdom

A big thank you to Bkackman, this is one of those pre-flight checks I'll be adding to my manual in the future. If it's OK with you, I'd like to include your image of the damaged part for reference purposes.

As parts are hard to get here in the UK, I think I'll order in a spare set - just in case.

Thank you.
2015-4-27
Use props
Bkackman
lvl.3
United States

Muzzy Posted at 2015-4-28 13:12
A big thank you to Bkackman, this is one of those pre-flight checks I'll be adding to my manual in t ...

I'm pleased to have benefited your effort.  Yes, you can absolutely use my image of the damaged part.
2015-4-27
Use props
Bkackman
lvl.3
United States

Captain Obvious Posted at 2015-4-28 13:02
Is that a tiny Google Eye face on that top peice lol (The white mark)

I went back and looked at the original piece and it, indeed, looks like a google eye face! I looked at the undamaged one at it's just a solid circle. Good eyes, my friend!
2015-4-27
Use props
Captain Obvious
lvl.4

Australia

Hopefully these are not going to be another source of pain for the Inspire...I still haven't received mine yet
(Doubt if ever will) They do look like another weak spot to me.
2015-4-28
Use props
GoCopter
lvl.1
Flight distance : 73461 ft
  • >>>
Germany

A nice solution ;) http://www.droneparts.de/DJI-Matrice-100-DJI-Matrice-100-Teile---Zubehoer-DJI-Matrice-100---Inspire-1---Alu-Propeller-Installation-Set-4-teilig/a53454043_u5094_zb8fd62e1-842e-4fa7-a9d4-316a5a9c2a17/
2015-10-18
Use props
RichJ53
First Officer
Flight distance : 1837356 ft
  • >>>
United States

Pardon me if I am speaking out of turn. In my opinion, this should be treated like a full size aircraft.... if you have a blade strike / or near miss; all of the parts need to be removed and inspected. I would always replace these parts due to the forces involved and the wear and tear on these items.

So, annual inspections are good to do. But if you make contact with the props, then take everything apart to inspect, but replace with new stuff even if it looks good.

Rich
2015-10-18
Use props
Alien
lvl.1
Flight distance : 156470 ft
Australia

Hi Guys
Pardon my intrusion. I've ditched the plastic, installed alloy mounting plates and CF props. Not trusting a 4K machine's air-worthiness to plastic.
Don
2015-10-23
Use props
enkhome
lvl.3
Flight distance : 273038 ft
Netherlands

The self-tighten props with the prop locks are the best. I will never use the quick loose props.
2015-10-23
Use props
sasoto1
lvl.1

United States

Just buy a new mount.  I wouldn't glue it and then rely on it.  There like $4 or $5 dollars.
2015-10-23
Use props
petevandra
lvl.4
Flight distance : 6939 ft
  • >>>
Australia

enkhome Posted at 2015-10-23 23:20
The self-tighten props with the prop locks are the best. I will never use the quick lose props.

I've just decided to change back to the screw on props with locks.
After about 100 plus flights with the quick release version, I was noticing that there was very slight movement in the props (up & down) - firstly with one of them - then with three. The attachments to the motors all looked secure.
I don't think it's my imagination, but the props now seem to be quieter when I fly her past me too.
2015-10-25
Use props
enkhome
lvl.3
Flight distance : 273038 ft
Netherlands

petevandra@msn. Posted at 2015-10-26 04:30
I've just decided to change back to the screw on props with locks.
After about 100 plus flights wi ...

Good choice and in my opinion also the best,
The self tighten props with prop locks as a whole is not only the better fail-safe design but also better balanced because they only can mount exact at the center on the motors with no fraction of lee resulting a smoother operation.
2015-10-26
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules