Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Mavic Air Gimbal Forward / Down CF button GONE? Why, DJI?
191190 191190 2018-2-1
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
rookpsu12
lvl.3
  • >>>
United States

Is it just me or is everyone missing this feature in the custom function button list?  I've updated to the latest firmware.

I try to give DJI benefit of the doubt... like with the non-foldable props, I can at least surmise engineering reasons behind it, but removing the ability to quickly pull and push the gimbal up and down - a function even the SPARK enjoyed - is beyond me.
And as a related question, if not this, what do most of you use your CF button(s) for?

2018-2-1
Use props
djiuser_8vwVSsovxPGK
lvl.4
Canada

i miss the takoff / land function of the spark... easy to send off and retrieve with your hand... hopefully they bring this back with an update..
2018-2-1
Use props
bevs809
lvl.1
Flight distance : 281962 ft
Australia

I'm also frustrated by this. This feature is crucial, especially when using extremely slow gimbal settings for cinematic movements.

Hopefully it will be fixed in a firmware update.
2018-2-1
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

I will forward this request to our engineers. Thanks for bringing us the attention.
2018-2-2
Use props
jburkett
lvl.1

Hong Kong

We've provided Gimbal Dial Wheel on RC to control the camera's tilt, to reach center and down,  and Button Customization on DJI GO 4 to recenter, it covers most demonds. Using one key to Gibmal Recenter/Down is a more professional demand.
2018-2-4
Use props
LoSBoL
First Officer
Flight distance : 666483 ft
Netherlands

jburkett@zackburkettco.com Posted at 2018-2-4 23:27
We've provided Gimbal Dial Wheel on RC to control the camera's tilt, to reach center and down,  and Button Customization on DJI GO 4 to recenter, it covers most demonds. Using one key to Gibmal Recenter/Down is a more professional demand.

Who's voice are you speaking?
2018-2-5
Use props
Surface2Air
First Officer
Flight distance : 167441 ft
Canada

This feature shouldn’t be missing. It is what I have set on my Spark. As someone else said, having the gimbal tilt speed set to a minimum for more cinematic control makes getting from pointing forward to looking straight down painfully slow. The feature to toggle it was used all the time for me, not having it included on the Mavic Air needs to be addressed.
2018-2-5
Use props
Spaceman_66
First Officer
Flight distance : 82323 ft
United States

Couldn't agree more - having the ability to very quickly toggle back and forth has become ESSENTIAL for Spark-flying, especially given the relatively short flight times combined with the natural desire to slow the pitch gimbal down significantly in order to get cinematic footage. Not having this in the Mavic Air - even with the extra minutes of flying per battery - will be a royal pain, sorely missed, and HUGELY appreciated if DJI would kindly consider resurrecting and implementing for the Mavic Air.
2018-2-5
Use props
W.T. Foxtrot
First Officer
Flight distance : 1316732 ft
  • >>>
British Virgin Islands

Yes please!  The up /down function is great for environmental checks of the area. The “centering” function they’ve offered is only half the equation. Why stop there when we all know you have easily included this on others?
2018-2-5
Use props
Berg I Imagery
Captain
Flight distance : 70577 ft
United States

Yes, absolutely an essential feature for all drone photographers.  The Spark already has the feature, so I would expect it to exist on the Mavic Air.  Looks like @DJI Thor has already commented this has been forwarded along to their engineering team.   Hopefully this is near the top of the list for the next FW update.
2018-2-5
Use props
fansb888536e
lvl.1
Flight distance : 61398 ft
Canada

Couldn't agree more. This is a crucial feature and I feel lost flying without it. Had I known this was going to be taken off the Air, I would have kept my Mavic Pro.

PLEASE add this feature to Mavic Air, DJI.

Thank you!
2018-2-7
Use props
Rick777
lvl.3
Flight distance : 2902972 ft
  • >>>
Canada

Basically with slow cinematic tilt downs makes quick checks for obsticle proximity unavailable when shooting ..anything.Hope they fix it !
2018-2-7
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

Hi there, jburkett on 5# is from our engineers, please refer to his reply. Thank you.
2018-2-9
Use props
LoSBoL
First Officer
Flight distance : 666483 ft
Netherlands

DJI Thor Posted at 2018-2-9 01:41
Hi there, jburkett on 5# is from our engineers, please refer to his reply. Thank you.

I'm sorry, I could have taken jburkett's reply serious, If the Spark didn't have the option. But stating that it's only an professional demand and have it implemented on your entry level drone doesn't make any sense.
I can understand that DJI needs product diversification across their line of drone's, and offcourse everybody wants their drone with as much features as they can get for the lowest price possible. but having a popular feature, which is somehow suddenly graded as an 'professional demand' on your entry level drone and then leaving it out on a more proffesional drone that costs nearly twice as much is a contradiction to jburkett's statement.

Please reconsider implementing this so called professional feature to the Mavic Air, like the professional Spark has.

2018-2-9
Use props
jh8
First Officer
Flight distance : 39685 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Agreed this is a must-have feature and since it just involves a small software change there should be no reason not to implement it!
2018-2-9
Use props
floweissner
New
Germany

Then WHY is the gimbal down feature advertised on your website???

2018-2-11
Use props
jh8
First Officer
Flight distance : 39685 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

You can point the gimbal down manually, that's not the discussion here. It's about not being able to assign a button to quickly toggle between gimbal looking down or forward rather than having to do that slowly by hand. I agree this should be added, just as with Spark/Mavic Pro.
2018-2-11
Use props
Giant53
Second Officer
Flight distance : 31565 ft
Netherlands

Yes, when I purchased the Mavic Air to replace my Phantom 3 professional, I was also convinced that this function was standard on all DJI products. I used to use it a lot and now I can't find it in the options for the function buttons. I hope they will consider implementation in the nearby future. Missing the very handy exposure wheel on the Phantom was also a pain (but to be expected)
2018-2-11
Use props
KREMi
Captain
  • >>>
Poland

agree, please give it back! sometimes we use v.slow gimball, and that feature is not only to get nice shots, but also for safety: a 1-click horizon view can sometime save our drone ;)
I would even ask for a optioon in menu, to set it in two modes: 0/-90/0 as first, and 0/-45/-90/-45/0 as second.
2nd would be handy with very slow speed - sometime i need to get a middle position, so not 0 or -90 is ideal ;) a midpoint would solve it
2018-2-11
Use props
sszaki
lvl.3
Flight distance : 106030 ft
Ireland

I'm missing this function as well... Overall i hope more functions to custom key will be added. As so far im only using AE lock and centre gimball.
2018-2-12
Use props
Tom Jelfs
lvl.1
United Kingdom

Id like to add my voice to the crowd asking for this feature to be rightly added to the Air. Not being able to flip to a downward view with the click of a button is a massive omission and potentially a simple fix
2018-2-18
Use props
Cameleon
Second Officer
Flight distance : 60394 ft
United Kingdom

Another vote for this, having now slowed my gimbal settings for cinematic effect, it takes too long to tilt down. Recent is fine as I use it as my custom button.
2018-2-18
Use props
Berg I Imagery
Captain
Flight distance : 70577 ft
United States

Yes, no reason for that Spark to have this feature but somehow it’s omitted from the Air. This is an absolute must from a usability standpoint. Hopefully DJI can include this for the next FW release.
2018-2-18
Use props
W.T. Foxtrot
First Officer
Flight distance : 1316732 ft
  • >>>
United States

DJI Thor Posted at 2018-2-2 01:33
I will forward this request to our engineers. Thanks for bringing us the attention.

+1 For the return of FORWARD/DOWN -- The current  CENTER function is only half of the equation, but you do have half of it right!
2018-2-20
Use props
djiuser_J8pTkMaNyi6H
Captain
Flight distance : 3301621 ft
  • >>>
Slovakia

I agree. DJI please bring this as option for configurable buttons.
2018-2-20
Use props
fans1215d7b7
Second Officer
Flight distance : 92126 ft
  • >>>
United States

djiuser_8vwVSsovxPGK Posted at 2018-2-1 13:29
i miss the takoff / land function of the spark... easy to send off and retrieve with your hand... hopefully they bring this back with an update..

I agree...... i miss takeoff/land CF button!! PLEASE BRING TO THE Mavic Air
2018-2-20
Use props
Sunraider
lvl.1
Flight distance : 206079 ft
United States

Totally agree. The forward/down function is one of the only functions that you can not access any other way. Supper useful when navigating to a location and wanting to lineup with something directly below.

Also, palm launching/landing is the only way I flew my spark and it is what I’m doing with the mavic air. You don’t have to worry about the ground terrain or sucking in dust and don’t have to worry about dragging a makeshift landing pad around. So adding the launch/land option would be great. Never have an issue landing but launching from your palm is cumbersome.
2018-2-20
Use props
Simon W

Australia

+1 for Forward / Down
2018-2-20
Use props
AG0N-Gary
Captain
Flight distance : 700846 ft
United States

While I don't have the MA, I do have the MP.  I would consider it a malfunction of the software authors to not include the function.  However, I would even more welcome a settable "return-to" button push.  I don't have use for the straight out camera angle, as I don't like horizons dead center.  I want to rapidly return to horizon in the top third of the image, not wasting all that sky space above middle.
2018-2-20
Use props
DJI_ALEX
Second Officer
Flight distance : 27273678 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Almost crashed today because of the lack of this button and having cynamatic mode with 10 as the gimbal speed. Please bring it back.
2018-2-22
Use props
kovat53
Captain
Flight distance : 324521 ft
Hungary

fans1215d7b7 Posted at 2018-2-20 11:52
I agree...... i miss takeoff/land CF button!! PLEASE BRING TO THE Mavic Air

Just have got my Mavic Air. Agree with you, takeoff/landing assignable function is a must have for RC custom buttons.

DJI, please bring it back!
2018-2-25
Use props
Tomcatuk
Captain
Flight distance : 28743 ft
United Kingdom

This is my first drone and can understand and see where that would be a great option to have,  so another to have that option....
2018-2-25
Use props
TroutboyNZ
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1726486 ft
  • >>>
New Zealand

Add me to this list, just crazy it's not included!!! The most used function on my Pro, surely it's simply a firmware upgrade? As for it being a "pro request" eh? I thought this was touted as a Mavic Pro killer, it certainly has other "pro" features, just the omission of something so simple that everybody WANTS!  Sort it out Dji please - your customers have spoken!
2018-2-25
Use props
fanscc274c09
lvl.1
United States

This seems super useful. Not sure it'll help but for what it's worth, DJI, I too would be grateful for this feature.
2018-2-25
Use props
LoMackz
Second Officer
Flight distance : 183704 ft
Sweden

+1 more on the vote list for this function be added to the Air.
2018-2-25
Use props
Robothamster
lvl.4
Flight distance : 51135 ft
United Kingdom

Add my name to the list of people that desperately want this feature on the Air - I used it all the time on my Spark.
2018-3-1
Use props
Jpilgrim82
lvl.1
United States

Robothamster Posted at 2018-3-1 06:49
Add my name to the list of people that desperately want this feature on the Air - I used it all the time on my Spark.

Absolutely need the feature!
2018-3-1
Use props
mlein
New
Flight distance : 62667 ft
Netherlands

Yes please! Bring it back +1
2018-3-15
Use props
PUMMY
lvl.4