10799 81 2018-2-1
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
LTJ
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1215325 ft
Thailand

Hi,

I am residing in Thailand, and just bought a Mavic Air combo.  I believe mine was amoung the first alotment in my country.  The bottom of the box has a marking (EU) in one of the code/barcode.  Does this mean that I have one of the limited range version as suppose to the US with further range?  To my knowledge, I don't think Thailand has the restriction on the transmission strength, so I am bumped out, thinking that I got one of US verions ;-(  Should have look at the marking on the box before buying it.  I bought it from one of the biggest DJI retailer in Thailand.

Nonetheless, my real question here is, I cannot for the life of me change the connection frequency from 2.4 to 5.8.  There is just not option, choosing Auto or Custom, only 2.4 GHz showned.  I really need 5.8 as I am living in a very congested area.  (my Mavic Air has half the range compare to my Spark, which is ridiculous).

I have both iPhone X, and Samsung Note 8, both with all the latest Go 4 releases, and all the firmwares (phones and drone) are the of the lastest release as well.  Can somebody please please help me?  Or is there a 2.4 GHz only version of the Mavic Air as well?  If so, I am really really unlucky then!!!

Thank you all very much for you help in advance.

LT

PS. my Spark which I have bought from the same retailer when it was first release is operating with the 5.8 GHz all the time.  I am very frustrated and confused.
2018-2-1
Use props
Tadango
lvl.4
Flight distance : 232359 ft
Netherlands

The Air chooses the mode based on GPS location. There is no hardware difference and no, you cannot choose the RC mode.

2.4g should always be better then 5.8g normally, no matter what the mode is.
2018-2-1
Use props
LTJ
lvl.2
Thailand

Tadango Posted at 2018-2-1 10:23
The Air chooses the mode based on GPS location. There is no hardware difference and no, you cannot choose the RC mode.

Thank you very much for your quick reply!  I C, and I find it quite interesting as to why 2.4 for the Mavic Air and 5.8 for the Spark at same exact loction?  Very odd indeed.  Nonetheless, thank you!
2018-2-1
Use props
LTJ
lvl.2
Thailand

Tadango Posted at 2018-2-1 10:23
The Air chooses the mode based on GPS location. There is no hardware difference and no, you cannot choose the RC mode.

Oh, one more thing, you mean the EU and The US has the exact same hardware.  The transmission strength is based on the software which is linked to the GPS location?  Thank you again!
2018-2-1
Use props
Tadango
lvl.4
Netherlands

You should be able to switch from 2.4 to 5.8 though, but i haven't got mine yet so i cannot test it.
2018-2-1
Use props
Tadango
lvl.4
Netherlands

LTJ Posted at 2018-2-1 10:30
Oh, one more thing, you mean the EU and The US has the exact same hardware.  The transmission strength is based on the software which is linked to the GPS location?  Thank you again!

Yes, there is no hardware difference. You can travel and the Air adjusts the mode to the location.
2018-2-1
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Is custom shown, I can only ask because I’m still waiting?
2018-2-1
Use props
KREMi
Second Officer
  • >>>
Poland

please inforrm us did You solve that problem. a 5.8 is a must in some areas. can't flight smallerr brother without it, so would expect MA to get it too
2018-2-1
Use props
Zatx
Second Officer
Flight distance : 158166 ft
United States

Why do you think 2.4g should always be better? There is much less interference in the 5.8g in almost every respect.
2018-2-1
Use props
dari_017
Second Officer
Flight distance : 6016004 ft
  • >>>
United States

Go to custom on the wi-fi settings and choose a higher Chanel typically the 100’s that’ll change the band to 5.8ghz
2018-2-1
Use props
LTJ
lvl.2
Thailand

dari_017 Posted at 2018-2-1 16:04
Go to custom on the wi-fi settings and choose a higher Chanel typically the 100’s that’ll change the band to 5.8ghz

This is the screen I got for my MA, no option to switch the frequency  and the channel only goes up to. 13.  Please help!!!
2018-2-1
Use props
LTJ
lvl.2
Thailand

KREMi Posted at 2018-2-1 11:47
please inforrm us did You solve that problem. a 5.8 is a must in some areas. can't flight smallerr brother without it, so would expect MA to get it too

I am desperately looking for a solution as well otherwise I might have to return this awesome device.  Love everything but if it can’t fly further than my Spark, wouldn’t make sense for me to keep it then.
2018-2-1
Use props
LTJ
lvl.2
Thailand

Tadango Posted at 2018-2-1 11:05
Yes, there is no hardware difference. You can travel and the Air adjusts the mode to the location.

Thank you very much!  That is very good to know indeed, can you please kindly provide me with the literature or reference to this info; thus, I can research more and maybe find the solution to this issue.  Thank you!
2018-2-1
Use props
dari_017
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

LTJ Posted at 2018-2-1 17:18
[view_image]

This is the screen I got for my MA, no option to switch the frequency  and the channel only goes up to. 13.  Please help!!!

Out of curiosity , did you update the firmware ? On that same screen if you drag the screen to the right where the bands are showing it will show the 100,s band those are 5.8
2018-2-1
Use props
LTJ
lvl.2
Thailand

dari_017 Posted at 2018-2-1 17:55
Out of curiosity , did you update the firmware ? On that same screen if you drag the screen to the right where the bands are showing it will show the 100,s band those are 5.8

I believe I do, as there’s is no notification for update when I connect my MA.  I also go to individual item and tap check for update and they all confirmed being the latest.  I also try to scroll further to the right, and 13 was the highest channel.  Thank you for your help!
2018-2-1
Use props
LTJ
lvl.2
Thailand

dari_017 Posted at 2018-2-1 17:55
Out of curiosity , did you update the firmware ? On that same screen if you drag the screen to the right where the bands are showing it will show the 100,s band those are 5.8

I believe I do, as there’s is no notification for update when I connect my MA.  I also go to individual item and tap check for update and they all confirmed being the latest.  I also try to scroll further to the right, and 13 was the highest channel.  Thank you for your help!
2018-2-1
Use props
dari_017
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

LTJ Posted at 2018-2-1 18:03

That’s weird it works on mine I tested it right now, I would still if you got the latest firmware if you don’t that could be your problem, also the MA doesn’t change bands automatically like the Spark does so once you go 5.8 it stays in there , until you change it back to 2.4 again, hopefully is just the firmware.
2018-2-1
Use props
LTJ
lvl.2
Thailand

dari_017 Posted at 2018-2-1 19:26
That’s weird it works on mine I tested it right now, I would still if you got the latest firmware if you don’t that could be your problem, also the MA doesn’t change bands automatically like the Spark does so once you go 5.8 it stays in there , until you change it back to 2.4 again, hopefully is just the firmware.

Thank you for your help!

Here is the screen shot of my Go 4

As you can see I pull it all the way to the left and last channel is #13

Here is my firmware version, can you please kindly compare with yours?

I am using this with iPhone X and the latest iOS.

Thank you very much once again!

LTJ
2018-2-1
Use props
dari_017
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

LTJ Posted at 2018-2-1 20:45
Thank you for your help!

Here is the screen shot of my Go 4

The only other thing I could recommend is for you to uninstall and reinstall the app. See if it helps .
2018-2-1
Use props
LTJ
lvl.2
Thailand

dari_017 Posted at 2018-2-1 21:12
The only other thing I could recommend is for you to uninstall and reinstall the app. See if it helps .

Did that already :-(. Do you have the same firmware as mine?

Thank you!
2018-2-1
Use props
braddahjosh808
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1868376 ft
  • >>>
United States

You have to select custom and then manually select one of the 5GHz frequencies in order for it to switch to the 5GHz band. I don't know why it's not possible to have it automatically select the least congest frequency in either band. Hopefully this feature will be enabled in a future update.
2018-2-1
Use props
LTJ
lvl.2
Thailand

braddahjosh808 Posted at 2018-2-1 21:39
You have to select custom and then manually select one of the 5GHz frequencies in order for it to switch to the 5GHz band. I don't know why it's not possible to have it automatically select the least congest frequency in either band. Hopefully this feature will be enabled in a future update.

Thank you very much for your suggestion, I tried with manual, but only 2.4 is showing, even in custom the 5.8 is not showing.
2018-2-1
Use props
dari_017
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

LTJ Posted at 2018-2-1 21:19
Did that already :-(. Do you have the same firmware as mine?

Thank you!

Yes I do , that’s why I don’t understand why it doesn’t work on yours , everything on your drone is up to date.
2018-2-1
Use props
LTJ
lvl.2
Thailand

dari_017 Posted at 2018-2-1 22:17
Yes I do , that’s why I don’t understand why it doesn’t work on yours , everything on your drone is up to date.

Maybe, it is like what Tandango said, it might be location specifics, but I couldn't for the life of me figure out why my Spark uses 5.8 and MA uses 2.4?
2018-2-1
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

LTJ Posted at 2018-2-1 23:29
Maybe, it is like what Tandango said, it might be location specifics, but I couldn't for the life of me figure out why my Spark uses 5.8 and MA uses 2.4?

Hi, as the screenshot you provided, the RC version info is not showing up. Could you please try to refresh the RC firmware via DJI Assistant 2 and check again? Please keep us updated if the issue persists. Thank you.
2018-2-2
Use props
LTJ
lvl.2
Thailand

DJI Thor Posted at 2018-2-2 00:01
Hi, as the screenshot you provided, the RC version info is not showing up. Could you please try to refresh the RC firmware via DJI Assistant 2 and check again? Please keep us updated if the issue persists. Thank you.

Thank you very much will do now.
2018-2-2
Use props
LTJ
lvl.2
Thailand

DJI Thor Posted at 2018-2-2 00:01

Hi DJI Thor,

I did as you suggested, and the problem remains:

Here are the screen shot:

No luck, still the exact same problem!

Please help!

One more thing, can you please kindly confirm that there is only one MA hardware version.  And all the differences are from the software only.  Is this confirmed?  what kind of transmission power is allow in Thailand (US or EU)?  I thought it was that Thailand was restricted to 2.4 only, but it can't be true as my Spark uses 5.8 automatically.

Once again, thank you very much for you help!

LTJ
2018-2-2
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

LTJ Posted at 2018-2-2 00:52
Hi DJI Thor,

I did as you suggested, and the problem remains:

Yes, drone and RC has different versions, you can check it on the release note. Thailand should be able to search 5.8GHz, but I will confirm this with our engineers as well as your issue. Thank you for reporting, I will get back to you if I hear anything from them. Appreciate your patience.
2018-2-2
Use props
Wachtberger
Captain
Flight distance : 261509 ft
Germany

DJI Thor Posted at 2018-2-2 05:09
Yes, drone and RC has different versions, you can check it on the release note. Thailand should be able to search 5.8GHz, but I will confirm this with our engineers as well as your issue. Thank you for reporting, I will get back to you if I hear anything from them. Appreciate your patience.

Hello Thor, it is the same for mine. Only 2.4 Ghz shows up and no visible way to switch to 5.8 Ghz. And I have both RC and AC firmware updates installed.
Edit: I have to correct myself, all is well now. See my findings in post 47#. This might also solve the problem of OP.

2018-2-2
Use props
Wachtberger
Captain
Germany

LTJ Posted at 2018-2-1 17:18
[view_image]

This is the screen I got for my MA, no option to switch the frequency  and the channel only goes up to. 13.  Please help!!!

This screenshot suggests that your MA is in CE mode indeed. If it was in FCC mode there should be only 11 channels for the 2.4 Ghz band not 13.
2018-2-2
Use props
Wirezfree
lvl.4
Flight distance : 17999 ft
United Kingdom

Unless there's been a change
Thailand share same Freq/Power regulations like EU
USA have more more options
2018-2-2
Use props
Wachtberger
Captain
Germany

Wirezfree Posted at 2018-2-2 06:00
Unless there's been a change
Thailand share same Freq/Power regulations like EU
USA have more more options

The option to switch between the bands should not depend on whether it is in CE or FCC regions.
2018-2-2
Use props
Wirezfree
lvl.4
Flight distance : 17999 ft
United Kingdom

Wachtberger Posted at 2018-2-2 06:10
The option to switch between the bands should not depend on whether it is in CE or FCC regions.

The bands are a or b depending on country.
CE are b, and Thailand is b
Whereas USA have both a & b

Unless I've missed something..??
Is there is an override, otherwise GPS say's I'm in Thailand, so use b
2018-2-2
Use props
dari_017
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

LTJ Posted at 2018-2-1 23:29

Possibly if you are on CE the MA might still need a future firmware update to see said channels for 5.8, here is a screen shot of what I was talking about on mine.

2018-2-2
Use props
Wachtberger
Captain
Germany

Wirezfree Posted at 2018-2-2 06:21
The bands are a or b depending on country.
CE are b, and Thailand is b
Whereas USA have both a & b

There might be a misunderstanding. I am in the CE region and my Spark can switch between 2.4 and 5.8 Ghz. There is no reason why the MA shouldn't be able to do so as well and it can actually. What is missing here for the time being is the possibility to switch manually between the two (see post above).
2018-2-2
Use props
LTJ
lvl.2
Thailand

dari_017 Posted at 2018-2-2 08:26
Possibly if you are on CE the MA might still need a future firmware update to see said channels for 5.8, here is a screen shot of what I was talking about on mine.

[view_image][view_image]

Wow, thank you so much for taking your time to share it with me.  I am keeping my fingers crossed for the future update.  I certainly wish that I could have the same thing that you do have now!

At the end I might have to return this drone or sell it discounted if it is unusable for me, which is ashamed cause I genuinely love the features, the size, and all the technology in this amazing tiny drone.  But if it won't fly further than 200m on my normal usage, I am left with no choice.

Will see if some other solutions reveal themselves soon.

Once again, thank you, truly appreciated!
2018-2-2
Use props
dari_017
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

LTJ Posted at 2018-2-2 08:37
Wow, thank you so much for taking your time to share it with me.  I am keeping my fingers crossed for the future update.  I certainly wish that I could have the same thing that you do have now!

At the end I might have to return this drone or sell it discounted if it is unusable for me, which is ashamed cause I genuinely love the features, the size, and all the technology in this amazing tiny drone.  But if it won't fly further than 200m on my normal usage, I am left with no choice.

You're welcome happy to help. I understand your feelings on the matter specially since the MA has this huge output increase in 5.8 compared to the Spark. I fly mine in 5.8 the video is better as well as the range. Hopefully an update will come soon to address this for the people flying under CE .
2018-2-2
Use props
Wachtberger
Captain
Germany

LTJ Posted at 2018-2-2 08:37

At the end I might have to return this drone or sell it discounted if it is unusable for me, which is ashamed cause I genuinely love the features, the size, and all the technology in this amazing tiny drone.  But if it won't fly further than 200m on my normal usage, I am left with no choice.

Have you tried to drag the screen to the left? dari_017 has explained to me in another thread that then you can see (and hopefully select) the 5.8 Ghz channels. Try that, I'll also test it now.
2018-2-2
Use props
LTJ
lvl.2
Thailand

DJI Thor Posted at 2018-2-2 05:09
Yes, drone and RC has different versions, you can check it on the release note. Thailand should be able to search 5.8GHz, but I will confirm this with our engineers as well as your issue. Thank you for reporting, I will get back to you if I hear anything from them. Appreciate your patience.

Thor, thank you very much for your help indeed!  I certainly hope we do have a solution for me relatively soon ;-)  Or I might have to return this drone and wait for Mavic 2 instead:

Meanwhile, if you could please help clarify some of the questions please:
- The release note did not mention anything about the limited frequency.  Also I seem to have the exact same firmware version for both my drone the remote control as in the release note (1.00.01 and 1.00.00); thus, I am assuming there isn't a firmware mismatch?
- Can you please clarify whether the CE vs FCC drone has the same hardware, and only differ via software?  Or are they physically build differently from the factory?  (I only ask because my package as (EU) marking on it)

Thank you very much for your time and I am eagerly awaiting some good news from you!
2018-2-2
Use props
LTJ
lvl.2
Thailand

Wachtberger Posted at 2018-2-2 05:27
Hello Thor, it is the same for mine. Only 2.4 Ghz shows up and no visible way to switch to 5.8 Ghz. And I have both RC and AC firmware updates installed.

Hi may I ask which region are you flying your drone?
2018-2-2
Use props
123Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules