Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Mavic air propeller issue?
12Next >
8780 78 2018-2-1
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Kyle Stones
Flight distance : 36 ft
United States

Took my new mavic air out for its maiden voyage and heard some weird noises when it was trying to take off and it seemed like it hesitated and then it took off and I could still faintly hear it. Landed it and checked the props and the rear two props were rubbing against the body of the drone and chipped the edges of the props (see photos) it doesn’t seem normal but the white lines by the edges are a little deceiving as if it’s supposed to wear it down a bit
E44CE559-BE99-498A-B8FC-0A6F6B90D796.jpeg
4C39BE3D-28CE-41AF-A37D-DD7B824245CE.jpeg
2018-2-1
Use props
djiuser_YGXnharQYfpn
lvl.1
United Kingdom

Sorry to read and see that! Ouch!!! I have to say mine has no such issues. Just standard go 4 app hating android
2018-2-1
Use props
FlyDK
Captain
Flight distance : 1636286 ft
Denmark

That's a bummer.
2018-2-1
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13838848 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Are all of the props you received like that?
2018-2-1
Use props
drown84
Flight distance : 176312 ft
United States

Only way for that to happen is if the propeller or propeller shaft was severely bent..looks like there is about 5mm or so of clearance from the blades to the top of the mavic air.  

That being said, this is the first drone I have seen with such a short "leg" span. I wonder how much it effects efficiency/lift that a large portion of the spinning blades are spinning over the body instead of free air.
2018-2-1
Use props
FlyDK
Captain
Denmark

A CW Posted at 2018-2-1 15:16

The propellers became such after rotating on the drone. They hit the body ... not good.
2018-2-1
Use props
Kyle Stones
United States

A CW Posted at 2018-2-1 15:16

The front props are fine, and the extra props from the fly more combo are all fine. They were fine before I flew it, once I heard the noises I knew something was off so I landed it and noticed the chips to the propellers and some nicks on the body of the drone where it was making contacf
2018-2-1
Use props
A CW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Kyle Stones Posted at 2018-2-1 15:25
The front props are fine, and the extra props from the fly more combo are all fine. They were fine before I flew it, once I heard the noises I knew something was off so I landed it and noticed the chips to the propellers and some nicks on the body of the drone where it was making contacf

Sorry - I missed your opening statement. Thats not good! This would be a DOA unit IMO - I strongly suggest you return it to DJI for a brand new replacement asap
2018-2-1
Use props
FlyDK
Captain
Denmark

Kyle Stones Posted at 2018-2-1 15:25
The front props are fine, and the extra props from the fly more combo are all fine. They were fine before I flew it, once I heard the noises I knew something was off so I landed it and noticed the chips to the propellers and some nicks on the body of the drone where it was making contacf

More pics of the body please. DJI will ask for them anyway and it should definitely be switched to a NEW one.
2018-2-1
Use props
A CW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

FlyDK Posted at 2018-2-1 15:25
The propellers became such after rotating on the drone. They hit the body ... not good.

Not good indeed!
2018-2-1
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9812789 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

I agree with AC W, you unfortunately have a DOA something not aligned correctly, you could try another set of props.
2018-2-1
Use props
PS013
Captain
Flight distance : 3579409 ft
United States

Normally, the blade should be about 1/8 of an inch ( 2 mm ) above the top of the body, and of course should not touch.
Also, I noticed that you did not remove some protective stickers from the body, Is it possible that one of them was catched by the prop ?

u2.jpg
2018-2-1
Use props
Kyle Stones
United States

FlyDK Posted at 2018-2-1 15:28
More pics of the body please. DJI will ask for them anyway and it should definitely be switched to a NEW one.

The red circle is one side and the yellow circles are the other side.
I could try the other props but I would like to hear back from DJI and ideally send it back before I’ve had it for long enough for them to blame it on the operator
8F6C35C8-9D00-43E5-88B3-F77A9BBF7FBD.jpeg
69C1B139-1109-4AA6-BC3E-2C849AB01CA6.jpeg
DDC9149D-6A5D-4E2D-AC5D-AEBCA3CB97C1.jpeg
2018-2-1
Use props
Kyle Stones
United States

PS013 Posted at 2018-2-1 16:02
Normally, the blade should be about 1/8 of an inch ( 2 mm ) above the top of the body, and of course should not touch.
Also, I noticed that you did not remove some protective stickers from the body, Is it possible that one of them was catched by the prop ?

The stickers are still flush with the body, so not likely
2018-2-1
Use props
Wachtberger
Captain
Flight distance : 261509 ft
Germany

Are you sure the legs/wings were fully expanded? What has happened suggests that this might accidentally not have been the case. As I haven't received my Air yet I can't say more. But I would expect some point of resistance that you have to go over until they lock in their final position for flight.
2018-2-1
Use props
Kyle Stones
United States

Wachtberger Posted at 2018-2-1 16:06
Are you sure the legs/wings were fully expanded? What has happened suggests that this might accidentally not have been the case.

Tough to say after the fact now that it’s packed up, but I pushed them out to what felt like fully extended
2018-2-1
Use props
Wachtberger
Captain
Germany

Kyle Stones Posted at 2018-2-1 16:09
Tough to say after the fact now that it’s packed up, but I pushed them out to what felt like fully extended

I suggest you try again and check what the distance to the body will be then. Maybe you have been too gentle/reluctant to push a bit further.
2018-2-1
Use props
Kyle Stones
United States

Wachtberger Posted at 2018-2-1 16:06
Are you sure the legs/wings were fully expanded? What has happened suggests that this might accidentally not have been the case. As I haven't received my Air yet I can't say more. But I would expect some point of resistance that you have to go over until they lock in their final position for flight.

I just took it out to check something and with the rear legs they won’t let them not be fully extended, they sort of snap into place once you’re past halfway extended. If that makes sense.
2018-2-1
Use props
PS013
Captain
United States

I added a picture of my props  in post #12 ...
2018-2-1
Use props
PS013
Captain
United States

Wachtberger Posted at 2018-2-1 16:11
I suggest you try again and check what the distance to the body will be then. Maybe you have been too gentle/reluctant to push a bit further.

In fact, the way the leg fold, you will have to push VERY hard to bend the leg enough so it can touch. So that is quite unlikely.

It looks like the prop was not shaped properly. maybe you can compare with one of the spare you have.
2018-2-1
Use props
Wachtberger
Captain
Germany

PS013 Posted at 2018-2-1 16:15
I added a picture of my props  in post #12 ...

Exactly, your last picture in post 12# shows how it should be. In that position they cannot touch the body. No idea what might have gone wrong before, but I hope that DJI support will assist you well with this.
2018-2-1
Use props
Wachtberger
Captain
Germany

PS013 Posted at 2018-2-1 16:17
In fact, the way the leg fold, you will have to push VERY hard to bend the leg enough so it can touch. So that is quite unlikely.

It looks like the prop was not shaped properly. maybe you can compare with one of the spare you have.

It's not me, it's PS013 who has had the problem. I was just trying to figure out what might have happened. And the latest picture seems to confirm that the legs might not have been fully unfolded when the incident has happened. And I am not saying that this was users fault, it can have been a malfunction of the mechanisn as well.
2018-2-1
Use props
PS013
Captain
United States

Wachtberger Posted at 2018-2-1 16:25
It's not me, it's PS013 who has had the problem. I was just trying to figure out what might have happened. And the latest picture seems to confirm that the legs might not have been fully unfolded when the incident has happened. And I am not saying that this was users fault, it can have been a malfunction of the mechanisn as well.

Just to avoid any confusion I do not have the probolem
The 2nd picture in post #12 in my own Mavic Air, not Kyle's.  ;)

2018-2-1
Use props
Wachtberger
Captain
Germany

PS013 Posted at 2018-2-1 16:29
Just to avoid any confusion I do not have the probolem
The 2nd picture in post #12 in my own Mavic Air, not Kyle's.  ;)

Oh sorry, it was the first picture in your post 12# that has made me believe it was you. Apologies for the confusion caused.
2018-2-1
Use props
Tviscomi
Captain
Flight distance : 106886 ft
  • >>>
United States

I read about this same thing happening with the MP flying in Sport Mode on 2 separate occasions.  The pilots had attributed to the arms flexing when flying at high RPMs
2018-2-1
Use props
Kyle Stones
United States

Tviscomi Posted at 2018-2-1 16:47
I read about this same thing happening with the MP flying in Sport Mode on 2 separate occasions.  The pilots had attributed to the arms flexing when flying at high RPMs

Haven’t even thought about leaving beginner mode yet haha
2018-2-1
Use props
Kyle Stones
United States

PS013 Posted at 2018-2-1 16:17

It looks like the prop was not shaped properly. maybe you can compare with one of the spare you have.

I could see one prop not being shaped properly, just strange both of the ones in the rear were rubbing
2018-2-1
Use props
G_Sig
Captain
Flight distance : 9109311 ft
Iceland

PS013 Posted at 2018-2-1 16:02
Also, I noticed that you did not remove some protective stickers from the body, Is it possible that one of them was catched by the prop ?

How is it packed in the box? Could the props have been pressed for some time?
2018-2-1
Use props
Wachtberger
Captain
Germany

I am very sure now that for whatever cause the legs were not fully unfolded.
2018-2-1
Use props
AIister
Second Officer
Flight distance : 626647 ft
Canada

why dont you slowly unfold a drone and see if the prop can touch at any time during the unfolding.. why speculate ?  rrrrr
2018-2-1
Use props
cyborg
First Officer
Flight distance : 123960 ft
Singapore

from the pictures the nick on the body is next to the air vents, which means it is caused by the rear props. The rear arms needs to be pushed down from the body to fully extend, which means if the arm is not fully extended the props will stay further away from the top (air vents) of the MA. The only way it can get so low as to touch the body is if the arm is bend the wrong way by putting too much pressure, or the props are bend. This mostly looks like bend props..
2018-2-1
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

Sorry to read on this. I have now forwarded your case to our engineers to check and confirm. May I have a short video about the rear legs unfolding? And could you please provide me with your drone's serial number? Appreciate your help.
2018-2-1
Use props
PS013
Captain
United States

Wachtberger Posted at 2018-2-1 17:04
I am very sure now that for whatever cause the legs were not fully unfolded.

Once you receive your Mavic Air, you will realize that if the leg is no unfold completely, the prop is further away from the body, not closer.
2018-2-2
Use props
Wachtberger
Captain
Germany

PS013 Posted at 2018-2-2 08:13
Once you receive your Mavic Air, you will realize that if the leg is no unfold completely, the prop is further away from the body, not closer.

Yes, I have received it today and fully agree with you. My assumption was wrong but what has happened with Kyles Air is really weird. Both props would need to be significantly bend for this to happen. I hope the cause can be identified.
2018-2-2
Use props
PS013
Captain
United States

Wachtberger Posted at 2018-2-2 08:41
Yes, I have received it today and fully agree with you. My assumption was wrong but what has happened with Kyles Air is really weird. Both props would need to be significantly bend for this to happen. I hope the cause can be identified.

Congrats on your new bird !! Welcome to the hair club ;) ...
2018-2-2
Use props
Wachtberger
Captain
Germany

PS013 Posted at 2018-2-2 09:41
Congrats on your new bird !! Welcome to the hair club ;) ...

Thanks a lot, this machine is just so great! :-)
2018-2-2
Use props
DJT_MVSP
Captain
Flight distance : 2018645 ft
Singapore

Kyle Stones Posted at 2018-2-1 16:02
The red circle is one side and the yellow circles are the other side.
I could try the other props but I would like to hear back from DJI and ideally send it back before I’ve had it for long enough for them to blame it on the operator

One of the prop looks bent on the last photo.It could have bent when you stored the Air
2018-2-2
Use props
M2Wair
Captain
Flight distance : 1192231 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Wachtberger Posted at 2018-2-2 09:49
Thanks a lot, this machine is just so great! :-)

Yes indeed, took mine up for a quick flight today, very impressed to say the least. Perfect little travel drone.... That said I must be due a holiday somewhere warm, free of rain and high winds. I can hear the Mediterranean calling me, better take the wife too I guess.
2018-2-2
Use props
Wachtberger
Captain
Germany

M2Wair Posted at 2018-2-2 10:08
Yes indeed, took mine up for a quick flight today, very impressed to say the least. Perfect little travel drone.... That said I must be due a holiday somewhere warm, free of rain and high winds. I can hear the Mediterranean calling me, better take the wife too I guess.

Very good idea! :-)
2018-2-2
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

Hi, I got your PM and I will wait for your update, you can upload the video to Dropbox and PM me the link. Thank you so much.
2018-2-3
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules