Going on a river cruise from Amsterdam to Budapest, take my drone?
1243 3 2018-2-2
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Wade Gizzy
lvl.1

United States

I am going on a river cruise for our 40th wedding  anniversary from Amsterdam to Budapest. I thought it would be nice to have some drone video along the way. I would not be attempting to take off or land from a moving boast for safety reasons, and that would be a very obviously not permitted as such due to no flying over waterways.
Has anybody gained permissin to use a drone in Kinderedijk, they claim it is possible.
I have the regulations for Germany. They seem reasonable, depending how the regulation is interpreted, such as what constitutes a crowd, what is private property, what is a highway. If interpreted narrowly, where can you fly? Is insurance required for a Mavic sized drone? Will aluminum foil glued to the body with name and address written in permanent marker suffice as a label?

Many of the stop-overs seem to be smaller villages, where I could easily get to the outskirts of town, and launch from there, assuming an area close to a local road isn't considered a "highway".

The fee for flying drones in Austria (350 euros) rules that out.

Hungary regulations at this point in time seem fairly relaxed for small drone  (less than .5kg). Is that still correct? I see that insurance and online registration is required.

Earlier in the thread, I read that drone insurance can be had for 39.00 euros, ANY LINK FOR THAT, or other options.
2018-2-2
Use props
Hummingbird.UAV
Captain
Flight distance : 27489951 ft
  • >>>
Canada

Hi, let me know what you find out, I'm taking the same route in July this year. (Uniworld)
2018-2-3
Use props
Wade Gizzy
lvl.1

United States

In the Netherlands (and Germany both), from what I interpret, you can fly anywhere where it is not a hazard to people. Don't fly over the river, from the boat,  over large crowds, or invade peoples privacy.  They wanted some sort of metal tag on it with your name and address. I just used indelible marker.

In Kinderdijk my mistake was launching from inside the "park" outside a building where the rest of the group was listening to a lecture. A female park attendant breathlessly asked me to return the drone as the people living in the windmills object to their privacy being disturbed. That was a stretch. I was flying past the windmills at 20 mph and not hovering at any of them. I didn't argue, and immediately did as she wished. In retrospect, I should  have just launched from the dike where the boat was docked and flown into the "park". I fly a Parrot Bebop 2, so it's small, and people didn't notice it. Nobody looked up at it as I flew overhead at the altitude I was flying at (60ft).   The tour of the windmill itself was interesting only in seeing the functioning wooden gears, but I have seen those in watermills previously. Flying the drone would have been more interesting than the tour.

I took my drone with me each day, hoping for opportunities. I was the only "drone guy" on our boat. The only other times I had an opportunity to fly was at Miltenberg and Bamberg.

In Miltenberg, I walked to the end of the town, past the church, and climbed a path that led to the "white castle". Very nice vantage point. I flew about 2/3 way through the town, well past the bridge.

The best place of the trip for using the drone was Rothenberg. Go to the Gardens. It is the "nose" section.  There you can get a nice perspective from "outside the city walls" and "look into" the city, even though your still in the walled city. I'm sure you can Google a map of the walled city of Rothenberg and see what I mean by the "nose" on the western aspect of the city.

Perhaps too, You can go Up to the "Melk Abbey", and not bother with the tour, and again find an isolated part of the garden and fly from there. They give you a ride up on the bus, and you can walk back to the boat on your own.

Austria is something like $300 to fly. Hungary requires a test, and $30-$40, so I just left the drone in the boat.

Hope that helps!

2018-6-27
Use props
Wade Gizzy
lvl.1

United States

ROTHENBERG, NOT BAMBERG! NO PLACE TO FLY IN BAMBERG!!!!!!!
2018-6-27
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules