15242 20 2018-2-2
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
nickel18.gmail
lvl.1
Flight distance : 114301 ft
United States

Hey Everyone,
   Frustrating night yesterday, I just picked up my brand new Mavic Air from a local retailer and right out of the box Im getting a Gimbal overload error. Before I take it back to the store in exchange for a new one is there a fix out there? I have all of the latest firmware and I did not have the gimbal protector on when I initially turn the Mavic Air on (This is my 6th drone). I've also tried going to the gimbal calibration settings but once I get to 89% the screen goes back and forth between 80% and it will do this until the battery dies. If anyone has a fix thank you in advance.
2018-2-2
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13877205 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Other than ensuring there is nothing causing any physical blockage to the movement of the gimbal you could try refreshing your FW via DJI assistant 2 then recalibrate the gimbal. Failing that it looks like a DOA that you'll need to return asap for a brand new replacement.
2018-2-2
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

You could try factory reset in dji assistant.
2018-2-2
Use props
nickel18.gmail
lvl.1
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 2018-2-2 11:32
You could try factory reset in dji assistant.

Tried that a few times and nothing
2018-2-2
Use props
Foxglove84
lvl.2
United States

I already know DJI's response--it's the Flexible Flat Cable lol!  
Good thing, it's within the return period or DJI's solution is to send it in for repairs for a $3 part, and charge you for two hours of repair labor at $65 an hour.

It's interesting that this is such a common issue.  Granted I have a mavic pro and you have the air, but the gimbal on both platforms seem to be very prone to breaking as it lacks durability.  My Mavic was babied with less than 7 hrs. of flight and 40 flights, and barely over a year old with no history of crashes or damages started to exhibit gimbal overload errors during my trip to HI.  It started to happen immediately after I updated the firmware during 1/15/18 or 1/16/18.  My drone would calibrate fine and pass start up, but would consistently have gimbal overload errors during flight.

I suspected the firmware as the culprit.  DJI was adamant that it's the flexible flat cable...not sure why this part is so brittle if DJI is so sure that this is the problem.  Seems like a junk part or poor design by DJI. Not sure if this same part made it to the Mavic Air--hopefully not.  

Here's other posts about gimbal errors--admittedly for Mavics:

https://forum.dji.com/thread-131709-1-4.html

https://forum.dji.com/thread-132496-1-4.html

But I think it's an issue that could potentially extend to the Airs too.

2018-2-2
Use props
fansf77370fb
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1008924 ft
United States

Just take it back and get a new one. Be glad you bought her from a local retailer. That was a smart move on your part.
2018-2-2
Use props
djiuser_s9vxkvv2ue5C
lvl.1
Flight distance : 285 ft
Bulgaria

I have the same issue, out of the box! Firmware update didn't help it also. My gimbal though works at start up, goes (rather violently) up and down, you can hear the camera hitting the frame. The case is when I try to move it with the controller slider, it moves an tiny bit and then I get the "gimbal overload" message as well. DJI technical support suggests I return it and ask for a replacement.

p.s I bought it in Sofia, BG and in a few hours I am on a trip to Switzerland (one of the main reasons I bought it). Can I request a replacement there or just the place I bought it from? (DJI store in sofia)
2018-2-2
Use props
Buzzyone
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4647913 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DJI’s warranty isn’t international so to avoid problems you would be better off going back to the store in Sofia.
2018-2-2
Use props
ilbabis
lvl.1
Flight distance : 285 ft
Switzerland

Yes I have found out the hard way. I bought it mainly for this trip and I am stuck with a useless 1050 euro you, at least for now..
2018-2-3
Use props
nickel18.gmail
lvl.1
United States

I ended up taking it back yesterday and got a new one fully functioning. Here is my maiden photo
2018-2-3
Use props
E3M6N3S
lvl.3
Flight distance : 121713 ft
United States

Looks great
2018-2-3
Use props
eYeSkYeYe
First Officer

Croatia

I really like the simplicity of it.
2018-2-3
Use props
LahwaCZ
lvl.1
Flight distance : 10600 ft
Czechia

I have the same problem, yesterday I bought brand new Mavic Air, today I perform first flight and get "Gimbal motor overloaded" error. Just for sure, you think that there is no other way than get it back to the store?
2018-3-8
Use props
fans31ab3aac
lvl.1
United States

I’m having the exact same issue as nickel18. I received my MA from DJI this past Monday, and now I’m having gimbal overloads, and the gimbal is stuck at a 45 degree angle. Also, get stuck jumping from 89% to 80% back and forth when I try to calibrate the gimbal. I guess it’s going to have to go back to DJI? Disappointing for sure.
2018-3-10
Use props
nickel18.gmail
lvl.1
United States

LahwaCZ Posted at 2018-3-8 08:44
I have the same problem, yesterday I bought brand new Mavic Air, today I perform first flight and get "Gimbal motor overloaded" error. Just for sure, you think that there is no other way than get it back to the store?

I only had 1 option and that was taking it back to the store for a replacement. DJI never responded to my emails, typical.
2018-3-10
Use props
nickel18.gmail
lvl.1
United States

fans31ab3aac Posted at 2018-3-10 05:42
I’m having the exact same issue as nickel18. I received my MA from DJI this past Monday, and now I’m having gimbal overloads, and the gimbal is stuck at a 45 degree angle. Also, get stuck jumping from 89% to 80% back and forth when I try to calibrate the gimbal. I guess it’s going to have to go back to DJI? Disappointing for sure.

Sorry to hear about your issue it really sucks and the only thing you can do is send it back to the retailer because DJI lacks customer service.
2018-3-10
Use props
Loliloli
lvl.1
Ukraine

Frustrating night yesterday, I just picked up my brand new Mavic Air and right out of the box Im getting a Gimbal overload error. I've also tried going to the gimbal calibration settings but once I get to 89% the screen goes back and forth between 80% and it will do this until the battery dies.

I have the same bug out of the box. Using latest one FW (Mavic Air + RC + Dji Go 4 App). Updating via DJI assistant 2. Tried to return to default settings. Nothing helps.
Gimbal overload error still on the screen. Can't replace Mavic, cause I bought it in Canada and now I'm in Europe.
2018-3-25
Use props
LahwaCZ
lvl.1
Flight distance : 10600 ft
Czechia

nickel18.gmail Posted at 2018-3-10 08:11
I only had 1 option and that was taking it back to the store for a replacement. DJI never responded to my emails, typical.

So in my case DJI responded to my mails within few days, but they suggested to send Mavic Air to them and for me was better to go to my store, give them case number. I didn't buy DJI Care Refresh, so I'm still waiting for repair. Latest news are that at the beginning of next week I should have Mavic back. So I'm quite upset, I flight once and than wait about three weeks...
2018-3-28
Use props
DaveNZ
lvl.1
Flight distance : 20 ft
New Zealand

Hi all - newby here from New Zealand with the same issue however with my Mavic Air - I did at least get about 5 hrs of flight time before my gimble motor crapped out
Was all going great - even went for about 2-3 more flights after the most recent firmware update and to be fair I have been extremely impressed with what they have condensed into this great little package!
BUT - out of the blue the gimble motor stopped working - moves left and right ok but wont go up or down - does move freely by hand though.
As per Nickel18's comment - calibration attempt gets stuck flicking between 80-89% and goes no further. Hasn't been crashed - everything else is fine - IMU calibrates all good - just no camera control which makes shooting videos a biaaaaatch!

Looks like I have to send it to DJI reading all this - probably means no drone for me for a month at least from here!!
2018-7-27
Use props
NoWake
New
United States

Just received my MA purchased direct from DJI online.  After start up, the gimbal started slapping around in all directions.  Settled down and took it for a first flight.  On screen message about Gimbal Overload appeared after a few minutes of flight.  The MA had some jerky, unexpected motions during flight as well as wonky video.  I noticed a small haze inside the lens and the camera was warm to the touch.  Tried to perform a Gimbal calibration, but seemed to get stuck at the 80% mark.  Tried a couple of times without success.  Also noticed that the MA's fan turns on immediately after start up and never shuts off.  

Very disappointed in DJI's quality in terms of new, out-of-the-box expectations.  Received it on a Friday in hopes of using it this weekend.  No phone support and confused as to what the proper step is in terms of getting it replaced.  One expects quality support like that received from Dell or Cisco when you pay top dollar for a product!
2019-3-24
Use props
djiuser_L6TccQbVl0wH
lvl.1
Flight distance : 8530 ft
United States

My gimbal overload issue might be different than the other issues I read on here, but I will relate my story. I live on a dirt road and the summertime dust became an issue. I noticed a buildup on the drone and on the gimbal dampers. I sprayed the dampers and that worked - no more gimbal overload.
2019-8-30
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules