WHAT YOU SHOULD KNOW ABOUT OCUSYNC
10977 33 2018-2-2
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Skymax.
lvl.3
Australia

Putting the AIR Unit in a non-DJI aircraft.

If you don't have one of these compatible RADIOS:
X9D (FrSky), DEVO 10 (Walkera), T8FG (Futaba), T14SG (Futaba), WTF09sll (WFLY), and AT9S (RadioLink)

Or one of these FLIGHT CONTROLLERS:
KISS, F3, F4, and Naze Supported remote controllers:

It won't work.

OCUYSNC "Sets" that include all Antennas etc are approx. $USD400 before freight if you can find one.
http://www.kopterworx.com/dji-go ... nit-system-set.html

The cheapest compatible Frsky Radio TX is $USD200 https://www.amazon.com/FrSky-Tar ... ywords=X9D+%28FrSky

And the cheapest compatible FC is $25-$50.

The OCUYSNC onboard DVR only records video at the Resolution you set for FPV in the Goggles. So if there is Latency at 1080P the pilot switches the video signal down to 720p. BUT, this also switches the camera down to record 720p, or even 640X480 if the latency is still bad.

BOTTOM LINE: You could be spending $USD650 on top of the RE Gogg Price of $USD550, just to get 720p video, maybe..

(If your not a Drone Racer for that much cash you could just buy a new SPARK with Controller, plug it in and get 1080p all day with no setup problems.)

2018-2-2
Use props
luciens
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

i believe it’ll work with any flight controller that supports s-bus for the control input. I haven’t tried it yet with my NazaM or my Wookongs tho, but I think it’ll work.

Even if not, it works fine as a video downlink only on anything with its own control link. I’m using it now on my f550 with a Futaba 14sg and Futaba RX handling the control. I’m running the ocusync on 5.8ghz just like I did with the analog system I replaced with it.

But yeah if you want to use ocusync for the control link too, you need one of those transmitters....
2018-2-2
Use props
Skymax.
lvl.3
Australia

luciens Posted at 2018-2-2 16:17
i believe it’ll work with any flight controller that supports s-bus for the control input. I haven’t tried it yet with my NazaM or my Wookongs tho, but I think it’ll work.

Even if not, it works fine as a video downlink only on anything with its own control link. I’m using it now on my f550 with a Futaba 14sg and Futaba RX handling the control. I’m running the ocusync on 5.8ghz just like I did with the analog system I replaced with it.

Thanks for the info. I have a big flying wing with 5.8G vid so I can still fly it up to a K away with my old radio but enjoy crispy visuals at least. I do have a Platty Pro but I thought I would like to fly the Wing a long way but the OCUYSNC unit is more for Racers I think so the signal stability is more important than the range. Speed racers don't need 4K lol.
2018-2-2
Use props
luciens
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Well the control signal and support for OSD/telemetry is more oriented towards racing drones that use those particular controllers. But like I said, I believe the s-bus control support should work with anything that supports s-bus receivers. That's just a guess on my part, since obviously DJI hasn't documented that that I can find anywhere... But s-bus is s-bus, so I don't see why it wouldn't work. The OSD support obviously only supports the protocols on those flight controllers listed tho.

Today was my first test with the f550 and ocusync on 5.8ghz only and I think about 3/4 of a mile was as far as I got. The wind was 20mph plus and so I didn't push the limits. Tomorrow I plan to try to go a little further. The futaba R/C link is probably going to be the limiting factor, though I think it'll easily go a mile or more....
2018-2-2
Use props
Skymax.
lvl.3
Australia

luciens Posted at 2018-2-2 18:13
Well the control signal and support for OSD/telemetry is more oriented towards racing drones that use those particular controllers. But like I said, I believe the s-bus control support should work with anything that supports s-bus receivers. That's just a guess on my part, since obviously DJI hasn't documented that that I can find anywhere... But s-bus is s-bus, so I don't see why it wouldn't work. The OSD support obviously only supports the protocols on those flight controllers listed tho.

Today was my first test with the f550 and ocusync on 5.8ghz only and I think about 3/4 of a mile was as far as I got. The wind was 20mph plus and so I didn't push the limits. Tomorrow I plan to try to go a little further. The futaba R/C link is probably going to be the limiting factor, though I think it'll easily go a mile or more....

Just to confuse the issue a bit more here is a guy actually flying with an Occy using a Spektrum DX8 Radio!
This shows something being done that DJI says cant be done.
I swear DJI if only I could get a straight, truthful answer from somewhere I might make some progress.

2018-2-2
Use props
Skymax.
lvl.3
Australia

"Today was my first test with the f550 and ocusync on 5.8ghz only and I think about 3/4 of a mile was as far as I got. The wind was 20mph plus and so I didn't push the limits. Tomorrow I plan to try to go a little further. The futaba R/C link is probably going to be the limiting factor, though I think it'll easily go a mile or more...."

Confused...I just watched a video where a guy flew a mavic air 4 kllcks away with the RE goggs and still had solid signal on 5.8G only. shoudnt you be able to get the same?
2018-2-2
Use props
luciens
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Skymax. Posted at 2018-2-2 21:43
"Today was my first test with the f550 and ocusync on 5.8ghz only and I think about 3/4 of a mile was as far as I got. The wind was 20mph plus and so I didn't push the limits. Tomorrow I plan to try to go a little further. The futaba R/C link is probably going to be the limiting factor, though I think it'll easily go a mile or more...."

Confused...I just watched a video where a guy flew a mavic air 4 kllcks away with the RE goggs and still had solid signal on 5.8G only. shoudnt you be able to get the same?

It wasn't because I was running out of range on the ocusync video, I was more worried about the futaba R/C link, which I've never pushed beyond LOS... Plus it was a 25+ mph wind so it was taking a while to go upwind.

I'm also just using the dipole antennas and not the pagodas, so the range isn't going to be what it would be.

But I still got only one bar down at about 3/4 mile depending on the orientation of the copter; it did disconnect once but came right back....

So it's actually performing more or less how I expect, especially given that I'm using the poorer dipole antennas (only ones that I could mount on the f550 easily). Hopefully there will be less wind tomorrow so I can do some more flights and stretch it out a little more. The Futaba 14SG reportedly should be able to do 3km or even a little more...

2018-2-2
Use props
luciens
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Skymax. Posted at 2018-2-2 20:43
Just to confuse the issue a bit more here is a guy actually flying with an Occy using a Spektrum DX8 Radio!
This shows something being done that DJI says cant be done.
I swear DJI if only I could get a straight, truthful answer from somewhere I might make some progress.

Yep, there are probably a lot of transmitters and flight controllers out there that probably work, but DJI only had resources to test that small list of them. And DJI has never been super about good documentation anyway, unfortunately...
2018-2-2
Use props
Skymax.
lvl.3
Australia

luciens Posted at 2018-2-2 22:05
It wasn't because I was running out of range on the ocusync video, I was more worried about the futaba R/C link, which I've never pushed beyond LOS... Plus it was a 25+ mph wind so it was taking a while to go upwind.

I'm also just using the dipole antennas and not the pagodas, so the range isn't going to be what it would be.

I see. What Flight Controller are you using, doesn't it RTH when you lose signal? Did you have to do any plug-making or Soldering to connect the Occy to the FC?
2018-2-2
Use props
Flanker271
lvl.2
United States

Is it required to connect Ocusync module to S-bus?  I thought Ocusync was only used as a video downlink and is a completely separate system than the R/C radio used to actually control the aircraft.  
2018-2-3
Use props
luciens
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Skymax. Posted at 2018-2-2 23:14
I see. What Flight Controller are you using, doesn't it RTH when you lose signal? Did you have to do any plug-making or Soldering to connect the Occy to the FC?

I'm using a NazaM V2, but without GPS - no room for the GPS puck on top either. I fly it in manual mode all the time so I don't really need the GPS support. Since there's no GPS, there's no RTH if there's a problem . So I just have to be careful and try to make good decisions with it .
2018-2-3
Use props
luciens
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Flanker271 Posted at 2018-2-3 06:57
Is it required to connect Ocusync module to S-bus?  I thought Ocusync was only used as a video downlink and is a completely separate system than the R/C radio used to actually control the aircraft.

Well it can do both video downlink as well as the R/C uplink (which I didn't know either until I bought mine). But if all you need is the video downlink all you have to do is hook it up to power and that's it. You can use your radio and its receiver for the R/C control separately. That's how I'm using mine right now...
2018-2-3
Use props
Skymax.
lvl.3
Australia

But if you do connex the FC and make the RE Goggs control everything you get the Long Range flight ability right?
2018-2-3
Use props
luciens
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

That’s what the claim is, yes. I might try putting an ocusync on my Trex 800 heli and testing it. It’s the only aircraft I have that’s fast enough to go that far and back without running out of battery . That would also test if the ocusync control would work on a heli controller too....
2018-2-3
Use props
Skymax.
lvl.3
Australia

lemme know pls?
2018-2-3
Use props
luciens
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Ok, I can definitely confirm that the ocusync R/C link does NOT work with the NazaM V2 controller. When it;s hooked up with the "s-bus" lead to the s-bus signal and s-bus ground to s-bus ground on the controller, it acts like there's no control signal at all. The transmitter controls are present and work fine in the menu in the goggles, so the transmitter hookup is working. It's just not getting into the Naza controller for some reason when using whatever "s-bus" is that comes out of the ocusync module (yellow and brown leads).

So either:
- what DJI is calling "s-bus" is not the protocol that Futaba calls "s-bus" and only goodness knows what it actually is.
or
- some additional tooling or electronics are required to make it work with something that otherwise works with F3, F4 based controllers that use Futaba's s-bus that DJI hasn't documented or ever tested (an inverter perhaps?)
or
- anything other than an F3, or F4 based controller just plain isn't supported and just won't work.

So, there you have it . Just keep using your existing R/C link and use ocusync for the video download and you're good. You'll just have to stick to 5.8ghz and the somewhat less range. For me, that's not a big deal since the Futaba R/C link works superbly and I dont have enough battery to go that far anyway....

Perhaps folks who are familiar with the F3 and F4 controllers know what their "s-bus" actually is, or how it's different from Futaba's "s-bus" if it is etc.?

2018-2-4
Use props
Skymax.
lvl.3
Australia

luciens Posted at 2018-2-4 10:09
Ok, I can definitely confirm that the ocusync R/C link does NOT work with the NazaM V2 controller. When it;s hooked up with the "s-bus" lead to the s-bus signal and s-bus ground to s-bus ground on the controller, it acts like there's no control signal at all. The transmitter controls are present and work fine in the menu in the goggles, so the transmitter hookup is working. It's just not getting into the Naza controller for some reason when using whatever "s-bus" is that comes out of the ocusync module (yellow and brown leads).

So either:

Well that bites...DJI state in their Tutorial that "NAZE Supported" Contollers should work. It seems DJI don't necessarily give false information but just not complete information, I hope. They state for instance in their own Setup Video only a few RADIO's but in fact most will work. After all if ppl like me want info they assume DJI will have it available. Not. This guy has a good connex diagram at TIME:13.30 if you haven't seen it already.
This is the FC I am looking at for my F-wing http://www.carbonbird.com/products/inav-air3-fixed-wing-airplanes It is programmed with Inav which the guy uses in the video above. CTTOI is your FC programmable? It may be a setting?

Note at TIME: 1545 he has the SBUS connected to UART6 and then uses Inav software to switch the port to "SERIAL RX". Then in "Receiver Mode" set to "Serial-Based Receiver". Then set the "Provider" as SBUS.

Are you getting telemetry or any other sign of connectivity? (Of course you must have the Pagoda Ant fitted on the Goggs always even if you are not using 5.8G.)

2018-2-4
Use props
luciens
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Yeah I've seen this video, it's really good. But as for why it doesn't work with my Naza there's no telling, without knowing what "NAZE supported" means. It could be something simple like the sbus output just needs to be inverted to work with the Naza or anything else a Futaba RX just plugs directly into.  Unfortunately I'm not familiar enough with the Naze32 based controllers to even guess.
DJI has zero documentation on it, so I assume you have to go research this yourself and figure it out on your own.

I don't feel like burning anything up trying this or that so I'm just leaving well enough alone . I buttoned my f550 back up and reattached the Futaba RX and I'm going to mess with it maybe later. An inverter looks easy and cheap to make but I'll bother with that later if I find out somehow that that's what you need to do.

But like I said, with no documentation or information available at all, I'm not going to waste time on it at least for the moment....
2018-2-4
Use props
Skymax.
lvl.3
Australia

luciens Posted at 2018-2-4 11:25
Yeah I've seen this video, it's really good. But as for why it doesn't work with my Naza there's no telling, without knowing what "NAZE supported" means. It could be something simple like the sbus output just needs to be inverted to work with the Naza or anything else a Futaba RX just plugs directly into.  Unfortunately I'm not familiar enough with the Naze32 based controllers to even guess.
DJI has zero documentation on it, so I assume you have to go research this yourself and figure it out on your own.

Patience is always a good strategy for a happy outcome. I have never tried this stuff myself being basically a foamy-builder previously. But I do have a good friend who has been a technician all his life and RC nerd helping me otherwise I would not attempt it at all. At one point I nearly sold the Occy just to avoid the headache but oldmate doesn't give up. Maybe we will discover something that can be helpful when it all arrives and we are putting it together. What plane are you using it on now?
2018-2-4
Use props
luciens
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Still on my f550 hexacopter with a home made mount for the camera. Has gobs and gobs of power and speed on 4S so with an analog 5.8 video system it kept going immediately out of range and was basically useless. With the ocusync even at 5.8 and the cheezy dipole antennas, though, it's good for at least a mile so I can do circuits around the area like going around the pylons at Reno.... It's a real heart-pounder to fly with a good video downlink.....

As for the r/c link, there's probably a way to make it work, but not without totally DIY'ing figuring it out and burning it up hooking it up wrong, etc... . Like I said, the signal output may be inverted to make it work with a non-inverted sbus input on some of those Naze32 controllers. Or it could be something totally different and it's actually impossible who knows.

Like I said with zero information from DJI there's no way to know. And I don't dare try to go through DJI support to try to find answers - I don't have that many minutes on my phone...
2018-2-4
Use props
luciens
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

As for telemetry, it gives just the basic signal strength and resolution setting and that’s all. The voltage reads 0.0, which I think is normal. I believe that has to come through the flight controller itself through the UART connection. So at least you get the signal strength...
2018-2-4
Use props
luciens
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

By the way just to clarify: “Naze” is not the same as “NazaM v2” . The NazaM v2 that I’m using is a DJI consumer controller and completely different from the open source Naze32 (i think that’s the correct name) based controllers used in most racing drones. Just in case I didn’t make that clear....
2018-2-4
Use props
Skymax.
lvl.3
Australia

luciens Posted at 2018-2-4 14:11
By the way just to clarify: “Naze” is not the same as “NazaM v2” . The NazaM v2 that I’m using is a DJI consumer controller and completely different from the open source Naze32 (i think that’s the correct name) based controllers used in most racing drones. Just in case I didn’t make that clear....

2018-2-7
Use props
fanse4b92006
lvl.1
Flight distance : 4009774 ft
Ukraine

DJI stated - Ocusync Air System is usable for RC car, boat etc..
THE MAIN QUESTION to DJI team - HOW it's usable (for video transmition only or FULLY including control signal)?
If it's fully usable - please specify how?!

I'm a big fan of DJI but unfortunately - no anwer fm your good team untill now!

FYI
I bought DJI Goggles combo (Ocusync Air System included) 4 months ago. Tried to wire up my HPI Vorza with Ocusync Air unit throgh SBUS to PWM decoder but vainly - seems like there's not SBUS coming out fm this Ocusync Air unit! How or by means of what I can get proper PWM signal in order to have possibility to ride my RC car?
Thanks to DJI in advance for quick reply.
2018-3-26
Use props
luciens
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Just to follow up, I did finally get the R/C link via ocusync to work - in my case I had to reverse the SBUS leads over how I thought it was supposed to be hooked up. But there are major, dangerous problems with it. Namely a bug where the R/C link can cause uncommanded "rolls of death" with sudden and complete loss of control. I had it happen to one of my F550's in flight and I lost the aircraft and there have been a couple other reports of it too. So for now, DO NOT USE THE OCUSYNC R/C SUPPORT. Use it only for a video downlink. The R/C link has other significant problems that make it difficult to setup and use (another reason I thought mine wasn't working).

Fortunately, a list of bugs in the current firmware has been compiled and has now been reported to DJI over on one of the rcgroups threads, by Mad_Angler1 (many thanks to him for his hard work on this). So hopefully these will be addressed at some point in the future. When, nobody knows but at least it appears it's with DJI engineering now. The thread is here:
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/ ... cing-Edition/page43
2018-3-26
Use props
Skymax.
lvl.3
Australia

Thanks for taking the time.
Despite having a qualified technician and Radio expert as a friend we have just not been able to aquire enough information on compatibility to even start down this complex path.
It's fair to say there simply is not enough support or information even for experienced builders let alone first-timers to incorporate this system risk-free in their existing models.
Having also read about the Death Rolls and other headaches experienced by ppl who know a lot more than I do I decided to avoid a long nightmare and my OCUYSNC unit is now on Ebay.
Now, back to actually having fun flying my MPP with the RE Goggs and not worrying about doing DJI's Air Unit research for them. Thanks again.

2018-3-26
Use props
luciens
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

I'm cautiously optimistic, though, that at least some of the bugs will get fixed now that they appear to have been reported to DJI. I've done software support myself for many years and I know how tough it is to get actual reproducible cases for actual true bugs, and filter those out of user error, etc. Especially on a new product that only a few folks are using out in the field. So I'm hopeful these problems are sufficiently reproducible (and therefore fixable) at DJI.

That said, the video part of it seems to have only one really major bug - the range issue when frequency selection is set to auto - and that can be easily worked around by manually selecting a channel. I've been testing that and sure enough the range seems to approach what's advertised for the unit with a hard-coded 2.4ghz channel. It's even almost as good at a 5.8ghz channel, so the hardware is probably ok.

The /roll of death/ is a tossup; in my case and in the other reported cases, it's still not known if it was the air unit or something else at fault. It could have been as simple as bad connections in my trainer cord for my Futaba transmitter. I was just too shocked to troubleshoot that that day and I didn't go into the menu and see if the controls were still working at the goggle end . I'm sort of using my remaining F550 as a guinea pig on that, since I have it also setup with ocusync R/C like the one I lost. This time making sure my connections are secure and things are setup right in my Wookong controller, etc. I've taken all the stuff out of it that I wouldn't want to lose if it augers in, so.....

So it's a 50/50 thing at this point for me.  The quality of the video is definitely good enough to not abandon it, at least in my case, and i'll just hope some of the bugs get fixed...  
2018-4-2
Use props
Skymax.
lvl.3
Australia

They will and probably a Version 2 is not too far off.
I have spoken to a nice guy on that Thread, (where I was amazed at the list of 13 problems it comes with), who nicely informed me that my experience in RC is just not technical enough for me to get it working.
I am not stupid though, this MPP is my first commercial drone and my first Tricopter in 2012 was a homebuilt and so were the next Three..
The facts are that I am having enormous fun with my long range MPP and there is no attraction for me to put my happy flying aside and embark on a miserable journey of problem-solving.
DJI YT Videos give the impression that this is something you just plug in to you're existing model and away you go whereaes that is not the case at all.
I think many non-technical pilots bought this product on this misleading advertising and that's why there are so many Open-box Ocusync Air units on resellers now.
Thanks for info.
2018-4-2
Use props
luciens
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Well, building a racing drone is still kind of like the early days of Linux, where there are 800 choices for each component and they're all different and maybe only about 25% of them actually work. And only 10% of those actually work together.

I think of it as like going into someone's house that you don't know and taking one of every pill you find in their medicine cabinet . So for racers, they're accustomed to DIY and soldering wires and switching out stuff that doesn't work right everywhere. If you want to use the telemetry in the ocusync air, you kind of have to have that mindset (and understand that only about 25% of it is even going to work ).

I am finding, though, that just setting up the video downlink, and now that I've found my mistake with the R/C link via Sbus, that part isn't that difficult. But still mostly DIY for a DIY type of FPV aircraft. But a long ways from being usable for the racing crowd.....

As for the MPP, I have a mavic pro and it's great for general easy FPV and the video looks great in 1080p. The Phantom 4 Pro looks even more spectacular with the goggles. But both of those are very high latency systems designed more for high quality video than the air unit. And neither one has manual mode unfortunately
2018-4-2
Use props
maguet11020
lvl.1

Italy

Hi,
Does it work with the frsky horus ?
Any chance to get information on the vidéo from Vector ? ( eagle tree )
Thanks
2018-4-10
Use props
Maxheadspace
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

"If you don't have one of these compatible RADIOS:
X9D (FrSky), DEVO 10 (Walkera), T8FG (Futaba), T14SG (Futaba), WTF09sll (WFLY), and AT9S (RadioLink)

Or one of these FLIGHT CONTROLLERS:
KISS, F3, F4, and Naze Supported remote controllers:

It won't work."

OK, so will the NAZA M v2 or the N3 flight controllers work directly with the Ocusync bundle?  I have been searching both Ocusync and the NAZA controllers on line and I see nothing that states the two work together.

Thanks!
2018-4-14
Use props
luciens
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Maxheadspace Posted at 2018-4-14 09:58
"If you don't have one of these compatible RADIOS:

Yes, the NazaM V2 will work with the air unit's SBUS support. I discovered that it works experimentally; it also works with my Wookong controllers as well.

I use my T14SG transmitter with the air unit's Futaba cord and it works fine also....
2018-4-16
Use props
fansed82e2bd
New

Latvia

luciens Posted at 4-16 19:53
Yes, the NazaM V2 will work with the air unit's SBUS support. I discovered that it works experimentally; it also works with my Wookong controllers as well.

I use my T14SG transmitter with the air unit's Futaba cord and it works fine also....

Would you specify how exactly?
2018-12-31
Use props
DeuceDriv3r
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4698533 ft
United States

any updates on compatible transmitters and flight controllers... ?

in typical DJI fashion they have grouped too many 'FPV' generations into the same thread category so finding anything here is difficult at best
2021-7-11
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules