Dual compass Mavic Air
2773 5 2018-2-2
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
kamil111444
lvl.3
Flight distance : 167713 ft
Slovakia

Does Mavic Air has dual compass and dual IMU like Pro does ?

I had many issues with compass with my Spark, so i’m hoping that double compass in Mavic Air could resolve this problems with flyaways !
2018-2-2
Use props
PS013
First Officer
Flight distance : 3579409 ft
United States

Dual IMU , one compass and 'vision compass'

From the Mavic Air page on dji.com:

"Besides dual IMUs, FlightAutonomy 2.0 has more redundant modules to increase the Mavic Air’s safety level. The Vision Compass will assist the navigation system to estimate flight direction when the compass experiences interference. When only one direction of the front, bottom, or rear vision systems is functioning normally, the aircraft will still position itself successfully. There are two sets of sensor fusion algorithms based on two independent hardware platforms. When an error occurs to one set of algorithms, the aircraft will switch to the other pair seamlessly to resume normal functionality."
2018-2-2
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 14177772 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

This is the official line from DJI:

Visual Inertial Odometry (VIO)

A combination of VIO technology and the new positioning algorithm has doubled the Mavic Air's precision positioning. VIO technology calculates the speed and attitude of the aircraft in real-time and locates it, making dual-camera attitude measurements while hovering or flying at any speed. The working range of the vision positioning system is now 0.5 to 30 meters. With VIO technology, the Mavic Air hovers more precisely indoors and responds better to complex environments with finer control stick movement.

3D Map Building

Equipped with an advanced sensing system, the Mavic Air locates itself with accuracy and precision. By processing data from the seven cameras at the front, bottom, and rear of the body, alongside the advanced infrared sensors and IMU, the Mavic Air will construct a 3D map by sensing the environment in real time, which significantly improves overall flight safety.
Advanced Pilot Assistance Systems (APAS)

APAS is the result of DJI’s extensive research on flight path calculation. Users can keep flying forwards and backwards, and APAS will plan an appropriate flight path to bypass obstacles automatically.

Multiple Redundancies

Besides dual IMUs, FlightAutonomy 2.0 has more redundant modules to increase the Mavic Air’s safety level. The Vision Compass will assist the navigation system to estimate flight direction when the compass experiences interference. When only one direction of the front, bottom, or rear vision systems is functioning normally, the aircraft will still position itself successfully. There are two sets of sensor fusion algorithms based on two independent hardware platforms. When an error occurs to one set of algorithms, the aircraft will switch to the other pair seamlessly to resume normal functionality.
2018-2-2
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

Mavic Air has a dual IMUs redundancy system and one compass. I saw your previous case, does the compass issue also happen with the new drone? Please let us know if there is anything with the compass. Thank you.
2018-2-3
Use props
kamil111444
lvl.3
Flight distance : 167713 ft
Slovakia

DJI Thor Posted at 2018-2-3 01:04
Mavic Air has a dual IMUs redundancy system and one compass. I saw your previous case, does the compass issue also happen with the new drone? Please let us know if there is anything with the compass. Thank you.

Thank you for your answer ! So Mavic Air is suppose to be a bit safer than Spark in situation when compass receive some errors during flight!

No, new Spark works rock solid until now, but I haven't used it often recently, because of weather conditions, I'm just still a bit afraid after my last experience with the 1st Spark unit
2018-2-3
Use props
MauiMaps
lvl.4

United States

DJI Thor Posted at 2018-2-3 01:04
Mavic Air has a dual IMUs redundancy system and one compass. I saw your previous case, does the compass issue also happen with the new drone? Please let us know if there is anything with the compass. Thank you.

Does the product SPEC page or user manual or anywhere else indicate it has 1 compass?

I can not find any references;
https://www.dji.com/mavic-air/info#specs
https://dl.djicdn.com/downloads/ ... 20Manual%20v1.0.pdf
Geometric Elegance video
2018-2-3
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules