Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
2nd Bricked Battery - Help!
2885 9 2018-2-3
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
jedorf810
lvl.1
Flight distance : 23524 ft
United States

Looking for some assistance, after doing some thorough reading and researching on old threads.  I bricked a new battery (two middle LEDs stuck on, drone would NOT power up) about a week and a half ago.  Went through DJI Support, got a new battery yesterday.  What happened?  Yep, bricked another new battery.  Same failure mode, same everything.  Two middle LEDs are stuck on, battery will not power the drone up.

My process has been pretty "normal", as far as I know.  Power up, know that I'll get "inconsistent firmware" found.  Slide to update, uploads SLOWLY to 99%, then hangs....and hangs.....and hangs.  Until I start getting "Connection Timed Out.  Please retry connecting aircraft or controller" message repeatedly.  At that point, I did try bouncing over to my home wifi (with internet), as opposed to the controller wifi only (no internet), and that didn't do anything.  It was really desperate times, desperate measures type of deal, as I let the whole process run out about two hours.  So, it wasn't for a lack of patience.

My questions - first, what am I doing wrong?  Secondly, has anyone had any success unbricking a battery, or am I at the mercy of DJI Support for repair/replacement again (assuming they'll honor a second one, and not assume there is some MAJOR user error going on).

Thanks!  
2018-2-3
Use props
heliman
First Officer
Denmark

My thoughts:
Don’t wait so long if update is stuck, because the battery level gets too low for a retry.
It must not get below 50% during the procedure.
The battery may unbrick itself when it is near empty (which will take time).
Then I expect it can be recharged for a retry.
I would try with dji assistent 2 instead of the go app.
2018-2-3
Use props
lannes
Captain
Flight distance : 4465 ft
  • >>>
Australia

With a new battery, I would charge the battery to full, before trying to use or update it.

Not sure if you did that in your case.
I would recharge it now and then use DJI Assistant to try and update the firmware. It will not show as recharging but it's only the smart circuitry that has gone out of sync
2018-2-3
Use props
dj_dread
Captain
Flight distance : 648399 ft
Romania

in my case, the update got stuck at 99% when using the App and Android to update firmware. if doing that with iOS everything went ok.
i am not sure if is Android fault or something else. but DJI Assistant would be the best choice to upgrade firmware.
as for the 2 leds on your battery..i am not sure how you can solve it.
2018-2-4
Use props
jedorf810
lvl.1
United States

Thank you all for the feedback thus far. To answer a few of the questions - yes, the battery was charged to 100 percent prior to starting the firmware update. And I was attempting via App and Android, as I own no iOS products.

For next steps, would it be best to wait for it to completely discharge and and maybe it unbricks itself to allow a recharge and retry? Any idea how long this would take? On my first bricked battery, when it got packaged to be sent in, the LEDs were still stuck on after more than a week.

Or should I put it on the charger now, understanding it won't show progress because of the two stuck middle LEDs? I tried that with my first battery, and it was still unresponsive, and would never power the AC on to make it recognizable to App or Assistant 2.

Thanks again! This is mighty frustrating, but I'm really hoping there is a path to unbrick it instead of waiting for the 2-3 week DJI Support process to work. Again, if that would even be an option on battery #2.
2018-2-4
Use props
DJI Elektra
DJI team
Hong Kong

jedorf810 Posted at 2018-2-4 05:45
Thank you all for the feedback thus far. To answer a few of the questions - yes, the battery was charged to 100 percent prior to starting the firmware update. And I was attempting via App and Android, as I own no iOS products.

For next steps, would it be best to wait for it to completely discharge and and maybe it unbricks itself to allow a recharge and retry? Any idea how long this would take? On my first bricked battery, when it got packaged to be sent in, the LEDs were still stuck on after more than a week.

Sir, did you try to flash the firmware with DJI Assistant 2? Please mount the bricked battery on the drone and update it again. If the problem remains, please contact our support and start a case: http://www.dji.com/support
2018-2-5
Use props
S-e-ven
Captain
Flight distance : 5910961 ft
  • >>>
Thailand

Battery firmware update on android?
Never do that!
I use only the DJI assistant 2 from a computer for firmware updates, b/c the bloody (in this case;-) androids can only have a wifi or a mobil data connection.
Take out the weak link in your line and you may end up with success, next time!
2018-2-5
Use props
eYeSkYeYe
Captain

United States

I find any OTA (over the air) updates risky.
Always using old good wire and laptop with DJI Assistant for whatever updates just to be extra safe in case of electricity outage right in the middle of the update.
2018-2-5
Use props
jedorf810
lvl.1
United States

DJI Elektra Posted at 2018-2-5 02:56
Sir, did you try to flash the firmware with DJI Assistant 2? Please mount the bricked battery on the drone and update it again. If the problem remains, please contact our support and start a case: http://www.dji.com/support
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Psa4hAImKw&t=1s

The drone is completely unresponsive to the bricked battery.  It will not power up, therefore DJI Assistant 2 is not an option, to the best of my knowledge.  Are there other ways to get DJI Assistant 2 to recognize the AC?
2018-2-5
Use props
DJI Elektra
DJI team
Hong Kong

jedorf810 Posted at 2018-2-5 11:02
The drone is completely unresponsive to the bricked battery.  It will not power up, therefore DJI Assistant 2 is not an option, to the best of my knowledge.  Are there other ways to get DJI Assistant 2 to recognize the AC?

Please provide a video of the malfunction battery. The situation will be forwarded. Thanks for your patience.
2018-2-10
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules