2277 42 2018-2-3
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
SpiralElm
lvl.1
Flight distance : 4678 ft
United States

Hello Everyone,

I am sure I will recieve plenty of critical responses for this post but I was hoping it could help someone down the line letting them know my experiences and constant fustratation with the Spark and DJI.  One of the main problems when considering a purchase is fanboys, that post their impressions through rose color glasses and fail to see the shortcomings of the product.  I must say that my experiences deal with using the Spark with Android phones, so I cannot and will not speak to the expeience of someone using Apple products, it seems that DJI only "supports" android in an afterthought.  Let me qualify my statements by saying I didn't buy the spark to be a serious hobby, or a passion. I bought it to take out once or twice a month and take some neat (showing my age) videos and snapshots, I am not talking about the Inspire Level.  I have spend about as much time trying to keep the Spark flying as I have actually flying it.

Along with being afraid to fly the Spark outside of a field with no trees and within very close distance with all the reports of Fly aways, which I entirely believe which I will explain below.  The Spark abiites are amazing, when you can get it to work, the ability to hold itself steady in wind and video/picture quality isn't the issue, the issues are Software, Software, Software...... and such poor software and poor support it is amazing.   I cannot tell you the hours I have spent connecting to the remote, then the spark, then disconnecting and connecting to Wifi, airplane mode off then on, firmware issues with the Spark, then the Remote, Then the Battery, Then the Android app. The disconnections while in flight are terrifing with such an expensive "toy".  The stuttering transmission makes the control and videos almost useless, sometimes pictures will not take becuase the connection is so poor.  A few months ago I heard about the OTG cable setup, which made everything better till DJI decided to stop users from using, with no real excuse and the wifi option is so poor as to really harm the experience.  I try to use the DJI assistant on my PC and it updates one thing but not the other, the Andriod app is so poorly written and almost impossible to use for updates and connections to the remote are very inconsistant.  The attitute of DJI company pushing updates without fixes,  software enhancements (like PANO mode) when the basics still don't work correctly. Why do we need gesture mode when the remote loses connection constantly, many times I just sit there and watch my Spark hover with no control at all till it magically reconnects.  The GO 4 app will shut down for no reason while flying sending the user scrambling to relauch the app before the battery runs out.

I have tried several phones, all on the approved list, with the same results.  I just wish that I could lauch the Spark and fly it without constantly having the worries, and the hours required to keep it flying. The you tube videos of happy owners trying their best to show you how to update the batteries firmware or correct some error message which doesn't work with your Spark but it did for theirs.

If you decide to buy a Spark, or any DJI drone, my recommedation would be ready to spend hours to keep it flying.   It isn't the low effort hobby I was wishing for, During the months I have owned it their have been several updates, none address the issues I have had.  
2018-2-3
Use props
marlowe
lvl.4
Flight distance : 300932 ft
United States

No critical response from me. I'm an engineer with decades of experience with complex systems and I will tell you that Spark is absolutely not a "consumer product" even though it may often be marketed as such.

In spite of doing what I considered to be a lot of pre-purchase research, I missed the list of "DJI approved" mobile devices. Using my unsupported Android phone with Spark was an incredibly frustrating time-eater of many hours. I was on a budget for this (that's why I got a Spark and not a Mavic), so I really did not want to get a new IOS phone.

Fortunately for me my wife has a IPad mini 2 (only about 2GB free and a cracked screen). Since switching to that, all Spark operations have been flawless and updates relatively easy. I now mostly fly or wish the weather was better so I could fly. Anyway, my wife just ordered a new IPad, the old mini 2 is passed on to me (I am clearing the memory and getting that screen fixed). While some have had good results with Android, I would suggest you get a supported IOS device (even a refurbished one from Amazon - not too expensive and well worth it if you want to spend less time pulling your hair out).

https://www.amazon.com/Apple-Ret ... ished/dp/B00TXSSXJA

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Apple-i ... hash=item6484905690

2018-2-3
Use props
Smolly
lvl.3
Flight distance : 15712 ft

South Africa

Where I live with my shocking currency, an iPad mini 2 will cost me around 600 us dollars.
May as well have got a mavic.
2018-2-3
Use props
heliman
lvl.4
Denmark

My biggest gripe, after I figured out how to put it to 2.4GHz, is message popups blocking the screen in the go app.
Quickshots don’t do what I wan’t, so I do things manually. But most of the planned video shots get ruined because all kinds of non-important messages pop up and block the fpv view and disable screen interaction while my hands are busy with the sticks and my eyes are busy looking at both the fpv view and the aircraft.
It’s the same sick app for all dji quads and the rc can’t be used for any other model, so I’m looking elsewhere for my next.
2018-2-4
Use props
eYeSkYeYe
First Officer

Croatia

I don't think you will get too many critic responses, at least not from people able to objectively look at things, as your points are very valid and very true. Although marketed as "consumer entry level drone", Spark, or any other to be honest, is more on the "prosumer" grade when it comes to effort to set it up and fly reliably. You also correctly identified the main source of issues and frustration for newcomers to the hobby. I can confirm, that even experienced pilots DO had difficulties and sometimes frustration understanding DJI way of doing things.
2018-2-4
Use props
KurtVD
lvl.4
Flight distance : 365299 ft
Switzerland

heliman Posted at 2018-2-4 00:09
My biggest gripe, after I figured out how to put it to 2.4GHz, is message popups blocking the screen in the go app.
Quickshots don’t do what I wan’t, so I do things manually. But most of the planned video shots get ruined because all kinds of non-important messages pop up and block the fpv view and disable screen interaction while my hands are busy with the sticks and my eyes are busy looking at both the fpv view and the aircraft.
It’s the same sick app for all dji quads and the rc can’t be used for any other model, so I’m looking elsewhere for my next.

If you have an iOS device, you could try using the VR PRO app instead of DJI GO; I think it is free unless you wanna use the FPV feature.
2018-2-4
Use props
Smolly
lvl.3

South Africa

This is the concern.
Why does the user have to find the workarounds and this info is not freely available from DJI.
I love my Spark, it's a small machine with loads of potential.
Just want it to do what it should.
Please DJI. Help us
2018-2-4
Use props
Flighty
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1977175 ft
Croatia

Had much the same issue with my Samsung 6, just constantly trying to connect all three to go flying. Then I changed over to iPad,, and now enjoy trouble free flying.  
2018-2-4
Use props
heliman
lvl.4
Denmark

KurtVD Posted at 2018-2-4 00:58
If you have an iOS device, you could try using the VR PRO app instead of DJI GO; I think it is free unless you wanna use the FPV feature.

That’s exactly what I do. Not an option for android users, though.
2018-2-4
Use props
Tom_A
Second Officer
Flight distance : 899951 ft
  • >>>
United States

heliman Posted at 2018-2-4 00:09

I have been mostly successful getting my Spark to work, but yes, I am using an iOS device. The alert messages before each feature are a good idea but where are the "Do not show this message again." check boxes? Am I just missing that?
2018-2-4
Use props
m1n1s
lvl.4
Flight distance : 319915 ft
United Kingdom

Tom_A Posted at 2018-2-4 01:36
I have been mostly successful getting my Spark to work, but yes, I am using an iOS device. The alert messages before each feature are a good idea but where are the "Do not show this message again." check boxes? Am I just missing that?

yes I agree the software is poor, the screen is cluttered with many messages, i have both hands on the rc unit and keeping line of sight with my bird , i dont have a spare hand to clear all the messages and can't see the screen easily to take my camera shots.

i work in the automation industry , if i wrote a hmi like this i would be without work very quickly.
2018-2-4
Use props
Tom_A
Second Officer
Flight distance : 899951 ft
  • >>>
United States

m1n1s Posted at 2018-2-4 01:47
yes I agree the software is poor, the screen is cluttered with many messages, i have both hands on the rc unit and keeping line of sight with my bird , i dont have a spare hand to clear all the messages and can't see the screen easily to take my camera shots.

i work in the automation industry , if i wrote a hmi like this i would be without work very quickly.

I wouldn't go as far to say that the software is poor. There's a lot I like about it, but there's some things that could be improved. The messages are there to make sure the user knows what is going to happen if they select a function, but repeating the messages probably increases the chance the pilot could lose track of the drone while trying to deal with the repeating messages. It's not just DJI. My car's backup camera gets blocked by a stupid repeating message every time I start the car.
2018-2-4
Use props
KurtVD
lvl.4
Flight distance : 365299 ft
Switzerland

I disagree with a lot of the criticism here. Only one thing is certainly true, and it’s a big one: Android doesn’t work well with the Spark. But on iOS, I never had any problems whatsoever, and the software is really good. Yes, there’s a lot going on, especially on a small screen, but there’s a learning curve, and after a while I got used to it. Of course there’s so much to display on top of the transmission, that it’s gonna be cramped on a smartphone screen. I guess if you wanna get serious about photography, an iPad is the way to go.
2018-2-4
Use props
Anom3
lvl.2
Poland

1 week owner of a Spark here. About 20 years of software development behind me. And yes, I can confirm... Multiple issues with the Spark. 99% of it is software related.

I am only about 8 flights in, but currently the best combo that is working for me is the latest firmware (900) and a hacked version of 4.1.15 over the OTG cable.

As far as being a product for a normal customer... I think it is, but only if you plan on keeping it very close (100m or less?) where loosing the app mid-flight wouldn't be a big deal.

Lots of stuff done right with the Spark... But looks like DJI needs to polish the software (firmware + apps) quite a bit.

Although, my gut is telling me the Spark is on its way out the door...
2018-2-4
Use props
m1n1s
lvl.4
Flight distance : 319915 ft
United Kingdom

the spark was always going to be a beta product because of the small size , my guess it was designed to be a selfie drone but a rc got added, now the spark has grown up and we have the mavic air
2018-2-4
Use props
SpiralElm
lvl.1
Flight distance : 4678 ft
United States

Thanks for the replies,

DJI really has left the android users out and putting all their efforts into the Apple products.  DJI should let buyers know that their android experiences will be much worse than the IOS so that users can make a decision whether to buy their products or not.  As for me I am not going to buy a Apple product to fly a drone.

I also feel that DJI is already throwing the spark away as they got our money and that we will run out and buy a mavic, as for me that will not be happening.

We could say to DJI prove me wrong..but for DJI it seems to think that customer support is something they dont need, they don't answer questions, they don't monitor the forums (except for volunteers), they don't care a flip about the issues users are having.

I hope I am wrong but I really feel I threw away my money......Thanks for the comments I just wish someone from DJI would see them....

2018-2-4
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

SpiralElm Posted at 2018-2-4 05:59
Thanks for the replies,

DJI really has left the android users out and putting all their efforts into the Apple products.  DJI should let buyers know that their android experiences will be much worse than the IOS so that users can make a decision whether to buy their products or not.  As for me I am not going to buy a Apple product to fly a drone.

It’s very clear that at the minute Spark is working really well with iOS products, so if it’s really bugging you it may be a case that you will have to get an iOS device, if you do you will find immediate difference.

And I know this is not the way it should be as spark is advertised to work equally well on both iOS and Android, I also think they’re must be some difficulties with pairing up to so many different android devices that dji may not have taught through, hopefully they are working on this if they can get it working as it is in iOS it could make this a great little craft.
2018-2-4
Use props
DJT_MVSP
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2018645 ft
Singapore

After the lastest update of Go 4.2.4 on Android, it has been working incredibly well: no crashes, no issues. The UI even feels much faster/smoother. Before this (4.2.4) update and after 4.1.15 I've been experiencing crashes, missing functions and an absolutely awful performance of DJI GO. I'm surprized they've actually been fixing those android app issue
2018-2-4
Use props
dj_dread
First Officer
Flight distance : 648399 ft
Romania

it's very easy to get frustrated. but at the time you bought your phone you were not thinking to buy a drone. i am not contradicting what you said. i was thinking how many times i got frustrated at microsoft products. still using a windows based pc. everybody have choices and things that they want to promote. DJI prefers iOS just like others prefer Linux over Windows. or Android over iOS. they did not let Androoid aside but focusing more on iOS. do the App and the Drone have software issues? yes. can those be improved? yes. but that is achieved over time and lots of tests.
let's be real. i used to fly RC planes. a lot. and at that time there wasn't the technology to tell me when the battery is almost out and i need to land. i was supposed to calculate that by myself. there was no 2.4GHz during those times. and the interference was huge. GPS? no way. RTH? nope. Palm Control? SciFi. and now, all of these are in this little piece of equipment. has it flaws? yes. and i am sure it will get better and better.
i've seen several videos with the Mavic Air. a lot of people already have it. is it working perfectly? nope. even a dji guy had to calibrate the compass several times over a filmed test flight. does it fly away? we do not know yet.
so it's about testing. and it's about feedback and research. and i am confident that DJI updates and improves the software based on flight records that are sent to them when cases are opened. so be patient

can i be frustrated that DJI is not shipping directly to the country i am in? or the fact that Sony held the blueray pattent and they were the only ones producing hardware for blueray discs?
2018-2-4
Use props
rimza
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3307 ft
Brunei

Seems that IOS have the OTG function working over the past two versions DJI Go 4 app while android still depends on WIFI for device to RC connection. Wondering if OTG will ever come to android.
2018-2-4
Use props
Smolly
lvl.3

South Africa

It's a great product.
They just need to fix the bugs.
Operating system on one's mobile device cannot be used as an excuse. It's sold with an expectation that it will work.
So instead of trying to flood the market with the next best thing, could they maybe try fix what they are already selling.
Once again. I don't want a favour, I just want to be able to enjoy my Spark as advertised.
2018-2-4
Use props
SkyySpyy
lvl.4
Flight distance : 338222 ft
Canada

Well I hate Apple and will never give them another penny of my money!! So no option in my mind. Just fix Android or give us refunds...simple.
2018-2-4
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

rimza Posted at 2018-2-4 07:24
Seems that IOS have the OTG function working over the past two versions DJI Go 4 app while android still depends on WIFI for device to RC connection. Wondering if OTG will ever come to android.

Hopefully android gets sorted soon.
2018-2-4
Use props
Smolly
lvl.3

South Africa

hallmark007 Posted at 2018-2-4 08:10
Hopefully android gets sorted soon.

Makes 2 of us.
2018-2-4
Use props
Gunship9
Second Officer
United States

As a radio repair guy I always think this has a lot to do with busy channels where the OP is trying to fly.  You are sharing the channels and unless they are clear you will get, difficulties connecting the remote to the Spark, stuttering video feed, disconnects in flight, and the Spark not responding to commands.  From the first post, I got that he didn't want to have to fly in an open field and near the operator.  Risk goes up in other less ideal places.  Somehow I feel a neighborhood or small city flyover is the use case for the OP.  Use gesture mode, without remote or cell phone, for interference free flying in those locations.  

Who certifies Android phones to be in specifications for memory management, wifi, and bluetooth?  I thought those phones were the wild west for how they perform and what they can do (just the way users want it)..
2018-2-4
Use props
Smolly
lvl.3

South Africa

Gunship9 Posted at 2018-2-4 08:54
As a radio repair guy I always think this has a lot to do with busy channels where the OP is trying to fly.  You are sharing the channels and unless they are clear you will get, difficulties connecting the remote to the Spark, stuttering video feed, disconnects in flight, and the Spark not responding to commands.  From the first post, I got that he didn't want to have to fly in an open field and near the operator.  Risk goes up in other less ideal places.  Somehow I feel a neighborhood or small city flyover is the use case for the OP.  Use gesture mode, without remote or cell phone, for interference free flying in those locations.  

Who certifies Android phones to be in specifications for memory management, wifi, and bluetooth?  I thought those phones were the wild west for how they perform and what they can do (just the way users want it)..

Fair comments, however not all of us have extensive knowledge about technology and platforms.
A lot of us have an android phone as it caters for our basic needs, not so we are able to run rogue.
All we are asking is for it to work. If they can't support android, it should be clearly stated.
I'm not willing to bolt on an additional expense of an iOS product so my Spark can work to its advertised specifications.
2018-2-4
Use props
DJI Elektra
DJI team
Hong Kong

Thanks for all the feedback. We would recommend users use devices in the recommended list for better flight performance. If you experience disconnection during flight, please ensure that there is no interference around your drone. Thanks for your support.
app spark.JPG
flight environment.PNG
2018-2-5
Use props
MJLSTUDIOS
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1540131 ft
  • >>>
United States

All I use is android for flying an Inspire 1, Phantom 3 pro, Phantom 4 pro, Mavic air and spark. I have never had a problem! I use Samsung Tab S2 (8in. and it will fit on the spark controler) to fly them all. For the spark I fire up the spark, then the controler, I wait for the two to link. I go to settings on the S2, WIFI and click on the spark controler. (After the initial set up when you activated the spark , you will not need internet to connect the mobile devise to the RC). Then I start the GO 4 app. and botta bing! Im ready to fly!
2018-2-5
Use props
fanse96125df
Second Officer
Flight distance : 80089 ft
United States

I am, sadly, disappointed as well. I had a Phantom 3 Standard and loved it. Flew great, smooth connection, nice pics and vids. Exactly what I hoped for. I sold it to buy a Spark so I could have something a lot more portable (was not taking the P3 on a plane trip). I am happy with the pic and vid quality, but the connection is just terrible. I have tried an OTG cable and it makes it so much better - but it is not officially supported and is currently missing features on Android.
I think I'm a fairly average user, with decent intelligence (I hope), but making this thing fly well, without OTG, is beyond my capabilities - or beyond my patience. I just want it to work.

2018-2-5
Use props
Smolly
lvl.3

South Africa

It's starting to feel like the proverbial middle finger with the generic responses from the mods.
As most large companies, I'm sure DJI has a strategy, objectives, and lastly a value proposition.
They don't wake up in the morning and decide what they feel like updating on the app.
So just some good old fashioned honest feedback would be appreciated.
Love my Spark, not loving the software
2018-2-5
Use props
Bright Spark
Second Officer
Flight distance : 22129 ft
Spain

After a  difficult beginning with my android phone, perhaps not approved, I have had no problems at all. Admittedly I have crystal sky, but I get 200 yds , more than VLOS for  me, and I can't get enough flying.
Why so many different experiences is hard to explain.
2018-2-5
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13864580 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

eYeSkYeYe Posted at 2018-2-4 00:43
I don't think you will get too many critic responses, at least not from people able to objectively look at things, as your points are very valid and very true. Although marketed as "consumer entry level drone", Spark, or any other to be honest, is more on the "prosumer" grade when it comes to effort to set it up and fly reliably. You also correctly identified the main source of issues and frustration for newcomers to the hobby. I can confirm, that even experienced pilots DO had difficulties and sometimes frustration understanding DJI way of doing things.

I have flown and owned several drones over a fairly long period and have never crashed. I sold my Spark after it lost GPS mid flight and started to fly away in altitude mode - luckily I could clearly see the drone and manually flew it back as I have previous experience flying drones in that mode from my Phantoms. GPS regained during the return but as I landed I lost all confidence in the drone and got rid! Can't help but think how I would have reacted to that situation if I was new to hobby - probably lost it! Basic WiFi transmission with no hard line connection to the device and no internal redundancy of the IMU or compass - crashing isn't a case of if but when with that one.
2018-2-5
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

A CW Posted at 2018-2-5 09:43
I have flown and owned several drones over a fairly long period and have never crashed. I sold my Spark after it lost GPS mid flight and started to fly away in altitude mode - luckily I could clearly see the drone and manually flew it back as I have previous experience flying drones in that mode from my Phantoms. GPS regained during the return but as I landed I lost all confidence in the drone and got rid! Can't help but think how I would have reacted to that situation if I was new to hobby - probably lost it! Basic WiFi transmission with no hard line connection to the device and no internal redundancy of the IMU or compass - crashing isn't a case of if but when with that one.

I have yet to see any case here of lost gps when flying, I’ve seen many dropped gps due to compass problems and weak gps when launching, this would be the same of all dji drones across the board, I have seen some also when flying undercover, but flying in the open at altitude loosing gps is very rare indeed.
2018-2-5
Use props
A CW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

hallmark007 Posted at 2018-2-5 09:55
I have yet to see any case here of lost gps when flying, I’ve seen many dropped gps due to compass problems and weak gps when launching, this would be the same of all dji drones across the board, I have seen some also when flying undercover, but flying in the open at altitude loosing is very rare indeed.

Happened to me - once was enough!
2018-2-5
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

A CW Posted at 2018-2-5 09:56
Happened to me - once was enough!

Well it’s the first case in spark I’ve seen so far, may have been a faulty receiver.
2018-2-5
Use props
A CW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

hallmark007 Posted at 2018-2-5 09:58
Well it’s the first case in spark I’ve seen so far, may have been a faulty receiver.

It was very strange - the screen covered in errors then it was fine a few minutes later. Memorable as the only time in nearly 1,000 flights that I lost control of a drone. Sad really as it was great fun when I had it but the fact I sold my first Mavic Pro for it was a BIG mistake. I won't bore you with my story of the succession of DOA Mavic's and Alpine's that followed LOL I spent most of November getting my money back at Apple - then the Platinum edition landed on my door step and not a glitch in 30 flights since early December.
2018-2-5
Use props
dj_dread
First Officer
Denmark

it's a matter of generations and their perceptions..some of us were flying RC planes build by their own hands, some other were flying drones with RTH, WiFi, 4K and so on..i understand the expectation is, during these times, for "anything" to "come back home". no matter if that is a drone, a fridge, a car or anything..during my young years with RC flying "stuff" that idea was SciFi. i do admit i am not ok with losing $800 just like this and due to a software error..but still..these are not military equipment. you need to keep them into sight. then it's easier to control.
have you ever flew a RC plane that goes into a "stall"? let me know how you handle that..when you put the same amount of money into building it..

the one thing i would appreciate would be DJI to publish statistics on how many "fly away" issues they had compared with the total number of Spark sold. and how many were pilot errors. just out of curiosity
2018-2-5
Use props
Bright Spark
Second Officer
Flight distance : 22129 ft
Spain

It might be that, up till the spark, fewer people forked out the price of DJI kit. I certainly didn't.
Many problems, not all by any means , take beginners by surprise.
When I had £220 worth (worthless) of another well known drone with gps , rth , fpv, the brushed motors failed all the time, rth intermittent, and many dances with the toilet bowl.
But absolute trust will be elusive for me.

2018-2-5
Use props
dj_dread
First Officer
Denmark

i am not talking about absolute trust. i am talking about being honest. how many times did you complain about your cell phone provider? lack of signal in important places. inside malls. or stadiums. or in case of an emergency. or during the New Year's Eve party in large open spaces..you were not able to call your friends because the network was busy..there are limitations..
are you upset that there are magnetic interference? well..that's Earth..to many WiFi transmitters nearby? then convince yourself and your friends to turn off routers while you are flying. convince yourself and your friends not to use cell phones while you are flying your Spark..and talk to the cell network provider to shut down their antennas..
let's be serious..even the DJI guys have difficulties. they cannot emulate all possible scenarios.. it's like the advertising for a car..it's xx miles per gallon. in city. but hey, what city did they test it in?
2018-2-5
Use props
Shade220
lvl.3
Canada

For android phones, you can continue banging your head against the wall, or use GO 4  version 4.1.15 as suggested, or use the Litchi app.  I switched to the Litchi app and the problem was solved.   The drone looks easy to fly in the videos, but there is a long learning curve to become comfortable and competent.
2018-2-5
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules