Mavic Air + DJI Goggles Dont Work Together
4837 11 2018-2-3
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fansfd734cd0
New

United States

So I ordered a full package - Mavic Air Fly More + DJI Goggles. Was very excited to receive the goods. Now, I am new to DJI but figured it is a reputable company, kinda like Apple for phones, DJI for drones. I was able to connect to the drone with my remote control and iphone through DJI Go 4, but I can NOT connect the gogles to the drone with or without the phone connected to the remote. It simply doesn't work. When going through setup menus in goggles, there is NO option to connect MAVIC AIR (options for Mavic Pro, Phanton). Why does DJI sell this as a package if the Goggles don't work with the Mavic Air???? Any one else has this issue? If so, what to do? Return the goggles? I searched the web and couldn't find anything of help.
2018-2-3
Use props
fans663583ad
lvl.2

Canada

You must connect the goggles to the controller via USB cable. They should have included that cable imho but who knows *shrug*.
2018-2-4
Use props
GBN722
lvl.2
Flight distance : 3049134 ft
United States

fans663583ad Posted at 2018-2-4 05:42
You must connect the goggles to the controller via USB cable. They should have included that cable imho but who knows *shrug*.

I can get mine to work, but can only fly 160 away and 100 feet up.
2018-2-4
Use props
fansfd734cd0
New

United States

fans663583ad Posted at 2018-2-4 05:42

When you say via USB: there is a MICRO USB output from the controller and also regular USB port. On goggles, there is a MICRO USB (charging) port and also MICRO HDMI port. So when you say use USB cable,   I dont have a cable to go from controller's micro USB to Goggles micro USB, or from controller's micro usb to goggle's micro hdmi.

I did try connecting googles to the controller via controller's regulars USB to goggle's micro USB port but nothing happens.

When i turn on my goggles, there is no option to connect MAVIC AIR, only Mavic Pro and Phantom and Inspire.

2018-2-4
Use props
fansfd734cd0
New

United States

GBN722 Posted at 2018-2-4 06:53
I can get mine to work, but can only fly 160 away and 100 feet up.

How did you get your to work? What cable/ports did u use to connect googles to the controller?
2018-2-4
Use props
fans443228e6
lvl.1
Canada

I think you have to ACTIVATE the goggles first... though I have not been able to make that work with the DJI Assistant 2 application on windows (as mentioned in the manual) . App does not see the goggles, and it looks like without activation you can't do a thing with them...
2018-2-4
Use props
fans43406f99
New
United States

fansfd734cd0 Posted at 2018-2-4 19:21
When you say via USB: there is a MICRO USB output from the controller and also regular USB port. On goggles, there is a MICRO USB (charging) port and also MICRO HDMI port. So when you say use USB cable,   I dont have a cable to go from controller's micro USB to Goggles micro USB, or from controller's micro usb to goggle's micro hdmi.

I did try connecting googles to the controller via controller's regulars USB to goggle's micro USB port but nothing happens.

I used the charging cable that came with the goggles to connect to the standard USB port on the RC.  Then I had to unplug the phone's micro USB plug from the RC.  (Discovered that little trick in another thread on this forum.)  Then I could see that the googles connected to the Mavic Air.  I could see the drone status and interact with camera settings, but I was unable to see through the "eye" of the camera.  All I see is the DJI logo.  

So how do I get to see through the eye of the camera?  Do I have to take-off and it will magically work?  (I was "bench testing" this configuration getting to know the drone and software so I haven't actually flown it yet.)  Or is there a secret button combination that I have to press to activate the camera view.

Fail on user/customer experience here DJI.  

DJI - seriously, if you are going to sell a bundle like this please add an addendum to the documentation in the package that tells the new Mavic Air owner how to make these wonderful inventions work together.   Otherwise, one might get the crazy notion that you are dumping these goggles to clear your inventory and the customer might start feeling like a sucker.  
2018-2-6
Use props
fans43406f99
New
United States

fans43406f99 Posted at 2018-2-6 04:03
I used the charging cable that came with the goggles to connect to the standard USB port on the RC.  Then I had to unplug the phone's micro USB plug from the RC.  (Discovered that little trick in another thread on this forum.)  Then I could see that the googles connected to the Mavic Air.  I could see the drone status and interact with camera settings, but I was unable to see through the "eye" of the camera.  All I see is the DJI logo.  

So how do I get to see through the eye of the camera?  Do I have to take-off and it will magically work?  (I was "bench testing" this configuration getting to know the drone and software so I haven't actually flown it yet.)  Or is there a secret button combination that I have to press to activate the camera view.

Okay...  I updated the goggles to the latest patch levels and the video is now working.  

I struggled with the patching a bit.  I tried to jump to the newest patch and it failed.  I tried a couple of times.  Then I tried to refresh the "current" it also failed.  So I restarted the goggles and the DJI Assistant software and tried the upgrade again.  It went all the way through.  I rebooted the goggles again and went for the final upgrade.  It failed during transmission after about 10% progress.  So I restarted the goggles once again and reconnected the DJI Assistant app to the goggles.  Finally all upgrades were done.

So I connected the USB cable that came with the Googles to the RC, started everything up and I now have video.  My faith in DJI is restored.  ;-)  Can't wait to fly!!!
2018-2-6
Use props
Rickyber
lvl.4
Flight distance : 403488 ft
United States

fans43406f99 Posted at 2018-2-6 20:01
Okay...  I updated the goggles to the latest patch levels and the video is now working.  

I struggled with the patching a bit.  I tried to jump to the newest patch and it failed.  I tried a couple of times.  Then I tried to refresh the "current" it also failed.  So I restarted the goggles and the DJI Assistant software and tried the upgrade again.  It went all the way through.  I rebooted the goggles again and went for the final upgrade.  It failed during transmission after about 10% progress.  So I restarted the goggles once again and reconnected the DJI Assistant app to the goggles.  Finally all upgrades were done.

I just got a pair of the goggles.
If you connect them to DJI Assistant, will it automatically recognize that it needs patches?
I plan on using them primarily just for my Mavic Pro and Spark for now. In the future, I plan on possibly using them with a Phantom 4 Pro, if I purchase one.
I don't have a Mavic Air and do not think I will purchase one (unless I hit the lottery...lol) and then would purchase one.
The Mavic Pro and Spark are performing great for me now. I also have an Autel X-Star Premium, which is a great drone with a nice camera. But, not in the class of the Phantom 4 Pro. I was lucky to get an awesome deal on it and was brand new and never flown.
2018-2-8
Use props
JAY-DIZZLE-DUCK
lvl.1
Flight distance : 755807 ft
Canada

Can someone tell me the range of the goggles when paired to the Mavic Air? It really isn’t that far as I have found out while using them? Please advise.
2018-2-25
Use props
Gixermark
lvl.1
Flight distance : 371 ft

United Kingdom

Jay dizzle...connect via you phone 1st ( so your phone is on the rc / connected to the drone ) don't switch off ...unplug the phone and immediately plug the switched on goggles into the usb on the bottom of the rc ( full size usb ) make sure you completely unplug the small micro usb ( OTG) as it will not work if you do leave it in. Once connected you will over ride the smaller distance and get full distance again.  
2018-3-6
Use props
HighlanderMike
lvl.1
Flight distance : 537854 ft
United States

Gixermark Posted at 2018-3-6 22:22
Jay dizzle...connect via you phone 1st ( so your phone is on the rc / connected to the drone ) don't switch off ...unplug the phone and immediately plug the switched on goggles into the usb on the bottom of the rc ( full size usb ) make sure you completely unplug the small micro usb ( OTG) as it will not work if you do leave it in. Once connected you will over ride the smaller distance and get full distance again.

great information
2019-1-3
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules