Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
APAS problem
5088 31 2018-2-4
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
djiuser_O5JYe7uFI9kq
lvl.1
Flight distance : 51585 ft
Sweden

When I have obstacle avoidance activated and APAS activated the drone just stops when it senses an obstacle. It doesn't choose a way around or above the obstacle. I have recalibrated the Vision system cameras but that didn't help. Any tips would be appreciated.

2018-2-4
Use props
theothernt
Captain
Flight distance : 436171 ft
Ireland

Just to make sure, is it the Air you have? and is the DJI Go app and drone firmware up to date?
2018-2-4
Use props
Nillok
lvl.1
Sweden

theothernt Posted at 2018-2-4 06:51
Just to make sure, is it the Air you have? and is the DJI Go app and drone firmware up to date?

yes to all
2018-2-4
Use props
Buzzyone
Captain
Flight distance : 4647913 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

If the Air can’t ‘see’ away round it will hover, usually if the object is large so it can’t see the extents of the object. It won’t be able to use APAS in all situations.
2018-2-4
Use props
Nillok
lvl.1
Sweden

Buzzyone Posted at 2018-2-4 08:28
If the Air can’t ‘see’ away round it will hover, usually if the object is large so it can’t see the extents of the object. It won’t be able to use APAS in all situations.

Ok, but it didn't find a way around a tree or over a fence or even a stone wall. And when testing it inside my house the drone is pretty much unflyable when having the obstacle avoidance activated. It seems like it stops like 2 meters from the obstacle and want fly and further (or around the obstacle).
2018-2-4
Use props
LoSBoL
First Officer
Flight distance : 666483 ft
Netherlands

Did you activate the further settings that it should find a way around or over an object?

If I remember correct those are diffent settings than just tuning on Object Avoidance. which just make the drone stop when it encounters an object.
2018-2-4
Use props
Garia666
lvl.4
Flight distance : 265079 ft
Netherlands

did you remove all your stickers form your sensors?  or mabe clean them just in case
2018-2-4
Use props
Nillok
lvl.1
Sweden

Garia666 Posted at 2018-2-4 10:45
did you remove all your stickers form your sensors?  or mabe clean them just in case

no sticker as I can see, I will check them to see if I need to do some cleaning but I doubt it.
2018-2-4
Use props
Buzzyone
Captain
Flight distance : 4647913 ft
  • >>>
France

I found as long as there is good contrast between the object and the space beyond & the object is not too large it gently climbs over the object. It won't do that if the object blends into the background or is a house!

Check the sensor calibration too, although if its warning you of an impending crash it will probably be working

As a side note, you have activated APAS on the GO4 App main camera view screen (APAS logo should go blue) it is not enabled by default.
2018-2-4
Use props
Nillok
lvl.1
Sweden

Buzzyone Posted at 2018-2-4 13:38
I found as long as there is good contrast between the object and the space beyond & the object is not too large it gently climbs over the object. It won't do that if the object blends into the background or is a house!

Check the sensor calibration too, although if its warning you of an impending crash it will probably be working

Yes, I have enabled the APAS on the main screen. There should be enough contrast as the ground I white at the moment (snow) and the obstacle was a tree (dark).
Yes, I think the sensors are working as they make the drone to stop when I have them enabled. I wonder if it could be some SW-bug then but I haven't seen anyone else having the same problem
2018-2-4
Use props
tony_c_flys
New

United States

mine is doing the same as you Nillok. turn everything on and when i make it fly at me it just stares me in the face.
2018-2-4
Use props
mdifilm
lvl.1
Flight distance : 12195 ft
United States

Hi all. Having  the same issue. It just stop. Only the one time it did fly around but the rest of the time it didn’t. Sensors were calibrated and all (it told me to).
2018-2-4
Use props
Tom_A
Captain
Flight distance : 899951 ft
  • >>>
United States

I had this happen once. I tried turning APAS off and on again. It appeared to be stuck on (but not working) for awhile but I was able to fix the issue by turning on modes that did not use APAS and then switching the mode back to normal. APAS worked after I had done that.
2018-2-4
Use props
Nillok
lvl.1
Sweden

Tom_A Posted at 2018-2-4 18:43
I had this happen once. I tried turning APAS off and on again. It appeared to be stuck on (but not working) for awhile but I was able to fix the issue by turning on modes that did not use APAS and then switching the mode back to normal. APAS worked after I had done that.

Ok Tom, I will try that and see if that helps.
2018-2-4
Use props
Tonsuke
lvl.1
Flight distance : 609377 ft
Japan

#Quick Reply Here#Same issue here.  Yes, sometimes my Mavic Air dodge obstacles with no problem, sometimes it just stops.  actually both success and failure happen in same flight, means identical setting.  then, I assume this is not a setting issue but program (logic or parameter) kind of issue.  linked please find my APAS test.
2018-2-5
Use props
Nillok
lvl.1
Sweden

Tonsuke Posted at 2018-2-5 16:53
#Quick Reply Here#Same issue here.  Yes, sometimes my Mavic Air dodge obstacles with no problem, sometimes it just stops.  actually both success and failure happen in same flight, means identical setting.  then, I assume this is not a setting issue but program (logic or parameter) kind of issue.  linked please find my APAS test.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q6Z62o9ZaLY

Ok, thanks for the clip. It seems like we have the same problem except that my APAS have never worked

I will try some test tomorrow (it's so damn dark in Sweden this period of year when I arrive from work so it's hard to have some good light to fly in) when I work from home.
2018-2-6
Use props
Nillok
lvl.1
Sweden

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q6Z62o9ZaLY

Tonsuke, now I have done some quick tests and it seems to behave similarly to yours. Sometimes it chose another way and avoid the obstacle but mostly it just stops. (I don't know how to produce a video with the phone screen information to show you)
2018-2-7
Use props
RandyHat
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Nillok Posted at 2018-2-7 01:54
Tonsuke, now I have done some quick tests and it seems to behave similarly to yours. Sometimes it chose another way and avoid the obstacle but mostly it just stops. (I don't know how to produce a video with the phone screen information to show you)

I have the same experience here.  Sometimes it works but usually it just stops.  I will try again in a different environment with differently sized and shaped objects.
2018-2-7
Use props
Tonsuke
lvl.1
Flight distance : 609377 ft
Japan

Nillok Posted at 2018-2-7 01:54

I searched YouTube with words "Air APAS" and found it worked sometime, failed sometime.  It seems this new technology is a very good idea but not sophisticated enough yet.
Many people use DU Recorder to record their Android screen.  It is very much straight forward.  What I use is "Screen Recorder" found at Google play store.  iPhone may have same kind of app I assume.
2018-2-7
Use props
Wellsi
Captain
Flight distance : 8330187 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

My understanding of APAS is that the Air has to have flown over the area first in order to learn the obstacles and ways round.  It's not designed to work out the solution the very first time it comes up against an obstacle.
Which seems a little poor tbh.
From Tech radar's review:  "APAS is going to lead to a lot fewer crashes, although the drone does have to fly over an area in order to get a sense of the obstacles to avoid first. That's a small price to pay for avoiding a crashed drone."
Am I reading this wrong?  With no upward sensors, how would the Air know it's safe to fly over an obstacle?  
Might have to do some more testing on this

Ian

2018-2-9
Use props
dwallersv
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1843015 ft
  • >>>
United States

Wellsi Posted at 2018-2-9 04:45
My understanding of APAS is that the Air has to have flown over the area first in order to learn the obstacles and ways round.  It's not designed to work out the solution the very first time it comes up against an obstacle.
Which seems a little poor tbh.
From Tech radar's review:  "APAS is going to lead to a lot fewer crashes, although the drone does have to fly over an area in order to get a sense of the obstacles to avoid first. That's a small price to pay for avoiding a crashed drone."

I think that a fair reading of a very poorly written paragraph that is misleading.

It is NOT true that the MA has to map an area first before it can implement APAS. 3D map-building is a real-time process, and APAS will fly over/around obstacles the first time it encounters them.

This technology is very new in DJI drones, so it's not 100% reliable yet. It need to evolve through on-going development. 3 years from now, the technology in DJI drones will probably be solid enough that complete novices can rely on it like we'll be relying -- without concern -- on self-driving cars.

Now, though, APAS a useful helper, not a guarantee.
2018-2-18
Use props
BlueSkies99
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3238 ft
United States

I notice that most of the times APAS is "not working' in your video that you turn the Air into an object that is already being detected.  When you fly towards something that is beyond detection range and then come close to it the Air is able to successfully avoid it much of the time.  I wonder if when you direct the Air at an object it is already telling you about it can't decide why you would want to do that and just stops and let's you make the decision?  Just a guess on my part.
2018-2-18
Use props
$gambino$
First Officer
Flight distance : 1563980 ft
United States

Are u flying to close to whatever u are trying to fly around? I notice it needs room to decide a path, like 10 to 15 ft. Otherwise it just stops
2018-2-18
Use props
$gambino$
First Officer
United States

To get an idea of how it works watch my video....u cant be close to the obstacles
https://youtu.be/ClGByL-aq1Y
2018-2-18
Use props
$gambino$
First Officer
United States

As u can see it was pretty flawless dodged everything...^^^ and no, it did not have to learn the area first this is my first time in the area
2018-2-18
Use props
fans3eb74040
New

Norway

Nillok Posted at 2018-2-4 06:52
yes to all

Did u find a solution? I have The same problem with my drone. APAS doesnt work at all.
2019-2-3
Use props
Nillok
lvl.1
Sweden

fans3eb74040 Posted at 2-3 10:54
Did u find a solution? I have The same problem with my drone. APAS doesnt work at all.

It seems to work occasionally but when I really need it (when it is hard to fly and narrow) so I often ends up with not using it at all
2019-2-3
Use props
fans22921ed2
lvl.1
Flight distance : 31473 ft
Hong Kong

Hi All, I am all new here!!! does anyone have a solve?? I am suffering with the same problem.....
2019-4-1
Use props
Tomcatuk
Captain
Flight distance : 28743 ft
United Kingdom

fans22921ed2 Posted at 4-1 22:43
Hi All, I am all new here!!! does anyone have a solve?? I am suffering with the same problem.....

Surprised the DJI mods have not offered to help and give any input to this thread??
2019-4-1
Use props
Edward Smith's Replacement
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1837444 ft
United States

From what I have experienced the MA needs enough time and space so it can calculate a route around an obstacle. I agree with post #24.
2019-4-2
Use props
fans22921ed2
lvl.1
Hong Kong

Edward Smith's Replacement Posted at 4-2 07:42
From what I have experienced the MA needs enough time and space so it can calculate a route around an obstacle. I agree with post #24.

Let me try that out again.... thanks a lot....
2019-4-2
Use props
fans3eaf9bee
lvl.1
Hong Kong

Edward Smith's Replacement Posted at 4-2 07:42

thanks for your opinion, I've tried again, giving the air much more distance before sensing the obstacle, it does fly around them now... so it's all up to my misunderstanding on what it could do....
2019-4-7
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules