Feature request- custom white balance.
1509 5 2018-2-4
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Earl.nottingham
lvl.2
Flight distance : 249793 ft
United States

It's such a widely used (and needed) feature used by the video and photography biz and I can't  believe that the DJI Go 4 app doesn't have it! I'm referring to the lack of a custom white balance feature. The app has several color source presets along with a manual Kelvin color temp adjustment and an auto white balance but nothing to lock in a custom non-stanfard or mixed light source.
2018-2-4
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

It's not that big an issue. Firstly because most users have no idea what a correct white balance looks like, but also because it is not that critical in aerial photography. You don't tend to get mixed light sources, so one of trhe fixed presets will usually be close enough. And if you want to get closer to the correct value, you can do that in post with any decent editor.
2018-2-4
Use props
Earl.nottingham
lvl.2
Flight distance : 249793 ft
United States

In the absence of a custom white balance feature for video, the next best option would be to have the ability to lock the auto white balance just as you can currently lock the exposure and focus - allowing the user to take an auto white balance of a white card or 18% gray card and lock that value.  While some color correction can be made in post, the 8-bit image doesn't leave a lot of wiggle room in color correction and best practice is to get the best possible color and exposure in camera!
2018-2-4
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

Earl.nottingham Posted at 2018-2-4 18:28
In the absence of a custom white balance feature for video, the next best option would be to have the ability to lock the auto white balance just as you can currently lock the exposure and focus - allowing the user to take an auto white balance of a white card or 18% gray card and lock that value.  While some color correction can be made in post, the 8-bit image doesn't leave a lot of wiggle room in color correction and best practice is to get the best possible color and exposure in camera!

With my P3P I can set the white balance to a particular colour temperature, and given that most aerial photography is carried out in daylight, I don't see the need. Very few people would ever shoot under artificial light or any other light source. I post using Da Vinci Resolve 14 and I can easily make any required corrections there.
2018-2-4
Use props
Bashy
Captain
Flight distance : 2354357 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Sunny and cloudy is all i use and thats when i remember to change it lol  anything else can be done in Premier, if you are that worried about custom white balance, then i would say you would be proficient in post editing, but hey, im all for extras though, bring it.....
2018-2-4
Use props
JaySpyde
New

United States

I would also like to see a custom white balance setting (based off of an image taken of a grey card) in the DJI Go 4 app or at least have the ability to use a grey card in the auto mode and lock in the setting, as Earl suggested. I use my P4 Pro for large mapping projects and usually end up with hundreds of images that I then process to create orthomosaics. I can always batch process to adjust the images afterwards, but I can save myself some time if I collect the images correctly to begin with. A slight shift in white balance isn't that big of a deal for a single flight, but this slight shift becomes noticeable when combining imagery from multiple flights flown throughout the day. Having the ability to calibrate for white balance before each flight would be very useful.
2018-12-13
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules