Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Wifi (only) Tablet GPS
5525 17 2018-2-4
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Amateur Droner
Second Officer
Flight distance : 6411 ft

United States

Hello everyone,

I am having an issue with my Samsung Note 3, even though it is listed as acceptable, I have video lag and sometimes have lost signal (still in beginers modes) in short range.

I have heard that an Apple iPad 4 works much better.
I don’t want to pay for data so I want to get wifi only.

My question is: Has anyone used a wifi only tablet then connected a Garmin Glo GPS (by way of Bluetooth) downloaded maps to the table while connected wirelessly, and had any success following on the map when internet was unavailable?

Thanks in advance for any and all comments

2018-2-4
Use props
Labroides
Captain
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Lots of users fly with wifi only tablets.
If you are using an Android tablet, almost all of them have a GPS receiver.
It's only non-cell iPads that lack GPS.
Your Phantom has a very good GPS receiver of its own that it uses for all flight needs.
A GPS unit, whether external or built-in, doesn't download maps - they come from the internet.

Lost signal should be unrelated to the tablet.
Lag may be due to configuration issues with your tablet.
2018-2-4
Use props
Amateur Droner
Second Officer

United States

Thank you.
I have been using an Android phone (Samsung Note 3) , but I have to admit it has a lot of pics & apps on it.
I may not have enough ram or storage to handle the DJI GO app properly.
I am thinking of getting an iPad 4 mini and the dedicating it to the Phantom 3S.

I understand the GPS does not download maps, I meant I would down load maps to the tablet while on wireless connection, so the GPS could have the maps to use.
I wanted to have the GPS for the maps function and to set RTH .
2018-2-4
Use props
djiuser_zv5dpUxuEJqG
lvl.4
Flight distance : 311890 ft
United States

I just went through the same thing. On the advise of others on this forum I bought the Huawei M3 tablet. It works great and is just the right size.
2018-2-4
Use props
Amateur Droner
Second Officer

United States

Thank you,

I think I will try it, cause I don't want to have an issue and crash it.
2018-2-4
Use props
Texas-Mark
Second Officer
Flight distance : 23002 ft
United States

You can set the app to cache maps. The app will get the GPS data from the drone to get the correct maps. In other words, you don't need GPS on the tablet to get maps unless you are going to some new place. And while I have not tried it, I think a short test flight at the new location would be enough to get the maps. I use a wifi only iPad (no GPS) and have maps in the app.
2018-2-4
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

Texas-Mark Posted at 2018-2-4 18:52
You can set the app to cache maps. The app will get the GPS data from the drone to get the correct maps. In other words, you don't need GPS on the tablet to get maps unless you are going to some new place. And while I have not tried it, I think a short test flight at the new location would be enough to get the maps. I use a wifi only iPad (no GPS) and have maps in the app.

' In other words, you don't need GPS on the tablet to get maps unless you are going to some new place. '

GPS has nothing whatsoever to do with maps. All the GPS does is tell you where you are, the maps come from the Internet, and are not received from GPS.
2018-2-4
Use props
Bashy
Captain
Flight distance : 2354357 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I have just got rid of my Note 3 for the Note 5, thats not because of DJI Go 4, far from it, its because i prefer Android 6 and DJI go wouldnt work on my rooted phone, before i rotted the Note 3, it was exceptionally good with DJI and that was with about 50 apps running in the background (many of those were system) and running DU Screen recorder, no lag, no breakups no impediment of any kind, i dread to think what you have stuffed on your Note 3, have you tried from a fresh reboot? dont open anything else but DJI, oh, is it still running Android 5 stock, not rooted?
2018-2-4
Use props
Texas-Mark
Second Officer
United States

Geebax Posted at 2018-2-4 19:21
GPS has nothing whatsoever to do with maps. All the GPS does is tell you where you are, the maps come from the Internet, and are not received from GPS.

Of course the maps come from the Internet. But without GPS coordinates, the app won't know which maps to fetch.  If you go somewhere new, you would need those coordinates to get the maps for that area. This can be done with a phone that has GPS, but it can also be done once the app gets the coordinates from the drone if the tablet does not have GPS.  That would typically happen once you flew it or got a home lock.
2018-2-5
Use props
Amateur Droner
Second Officer

United States

Hello Texas-Mark, Geebax and Bashy,

"You can set the app to cache maps." "I use a wifi only iPad (no GPS) and have maps in the app."  
Texas-Mark, Are talking about the DJI GO App doing the cache? Please explain to this newbie who is not that computer savvy...still learning

GPS has nothing whatsoever to do with maps. All the GPS does is tell you where you are…” Geebax I have to have the maps downloaded on the tablet for the GPS to show me where I am on them right, especially when I have no wifi or internet connection?

Bashy, Yes I am running Android 5 stock on my Note3, and half of my storage is full, thanks to my grandson...still removing apps and games! I plan to keep the Note3 as a phone (any from G son), and plan to dedicate an iPad wifi only to my P3S.
2018-2-5
Use props
Texas-Mark
Second Officer
United States

Yes, the DGI GO app will cache the maps. At least the ios version will.  I'm really not sure when exactly it fetches them, but you need to be connected to Internet wifi (not the drone controller) and have the app open. It will then get the maps for the area you had previously been flying. Then when I go out again to the same area, it already has the maps. It (wifi only tablet) can not fetch them in "real time" because the wifi is connected to the controller and has no internet access during that time.

It could be more problematic if you are going somewhere different with no wifi or internet access. Maybe someone else knows how to pre-load the needed maps ahead of time.

But the point is that you need GPS coordinates to get the maps you will need. Whether those coordinates come from your phone/tablet with GPS, or from the drone is not that important. But you do need the GPS data to be able to get them one way or the other. Hence GPS has a lot to do with getting the maps you need.

The ipad wifi only will work just fine (except for follow me mode).

2018-2-5
Use props
Amateur Droner
Second Officer

United States

Thanks Texas-Mark,

That sounds like a lot less of a problem, and saves me from an added data expense!
2018-2-5
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

Texas-Mark Posted at 2018-2-5 08:12
Of course the maps come from the Internet. But without GPS coordinates, the app won't know which maps to fetch.  If you go somewhere new, you would need those coordinates to get the maps for that area. This can be done with a phone that has GPS, but it can also be done once the app gets the coordinates from the drone if the tablet does not have GPS.  That would typically happen once you flew it or got a home lock.

I said that to clear up any potential confusion, many people seem to think the maps come from the GPS system.
2018-2-5
Use props
sSkyPilot
First Officer
Flight distance : 311089 ft
United States

Hi, Good read...  Tab A works good for me... Thanks.
2018-2-5
Use props
Snownut
lvl.1
Flight distance : 2188 ft
United States

How is the Hauwei M3 screen outside, I to am looking to acquire one for my P4P (dedicated use).
2018-2-5
Use props
djiuser_zv5dpUxuEJqG
lvl.4
Flight distance : 311890 ft
United States

Snownut Posted at 2018-2-5 17:35
How is the Hauwei M3 screen outside, I to am looking to acquire one for my P4P (dedicated use).

Due to the great SW Missouri weather I have only use it one time outside. However, that was a sunny day and it worked great.  
2018-2-5
Use props
Amateur Droner
Second Officer

United States

Texas-Mark Posted at 2018-2-5 11:30
Yes, the DGI GO app will cache the maps. At least the ios version will.  I'm really not sure when exactly it fetches them, but you need to be connected to Internet wifi (not the drone controller) and have the app open. It will then get the maps for the area you had previously been flying. Then when I go out again to the same area, it already has the maps. It (wifi only tablet) can not fetch them in "real time" because the wifi is connected to the controller and has no internet access during that time.

It could be more problematic if you are going somewhere different with no wifi or internet access. Maybe someone else knows how to pre-load the needed maps ahead of time.

Got my iPad mini 4 128 gb, and I have it dedicated to my P3S. I did like you said and downloaded offline maps while on wifi, and everything seems to work fine (with the maps), and I like the iPad screen real estate !
Now if I can just get the updated 11.2.5 to work in the DJI Go app?!
2018-2-17
Use props
Peterx
Captain
Flight distance : 1499708 ft
Germany

Amateur Droner Posted at 2018-2-4 17:08
Thank you.
I have been using an Android phone (Samsung Note 3) , but I have to admit it has a lot of pics & apps on it.
I may not have enough ram or storage to handle the DJI GO app properly.

For the RTH and 5 of the 6 intelligent flight modes the copters GPS receiver is enough. Only updating the HP and the" F-Follow me" uses both copters and mobiles GPS receiver to hold the copters right distance and direction to the mobile,so the copter knows where the mobile with RC is.
2018-2-18
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules