GPS - Apple mini 4
533 10 2018-2-4
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Salmonslayer
lvl.4
Flight distance : 100220 ft
Canada

Can u fly safely and utilize ALL functions of your P3S with out having GPS on yous OS like a Apple mini4, which is my understanding it does not have internal GPS
2018-2-4
Use props
Peterx
First Officer
Flight distance : 1499708 ft
Germany

If you have a tablet without a GPS receiver then only the >F-Follow me< is not available for safe flight. This mode uses the copters GPS and the mobiles GPS tho know were the pilot stands or goes to follow him. The other flight modes as F-WP,F-home lock,F-course lock and F-POI are utilized safely and uses the GPS of the copter only.
2018-2-5
Use props
Salmonslayer
lvl.4
Canada

Peterx Posted at 2018-2-5 03:28
If you have a tablet without a GPS receiver then only the >F-Follow me< is not available for safe flight. This mode uses the copters GPS and the mobiles GPS tho know were the pilot stands or goes to follow him. The other flight modes as F-WP,F-home lock,F-course lock and F-POI are utilized safely and uses the GPS of the copter only.

Thanks for reply, but its my understanding when the RTH  it is established being the OS as the home point, (not a land fix RTH)  it doesnt follower the non GPS tablet , examble Apple mini4 .
I may be confused but it is my understanding that with the P3S you can have the home point being the OS  if it has internal GPS .... is this wrong ?
2018-2-5
Use props
Texas-Mark
lvl.4
Flight distance : 23002 ft
United States

If the mobile device does not have GPS, RTH by default is the point it took off from. It even announces that the home point has been set when you take off. Since I only use my wifi only non GPS iPad mini, I do not know if you can set any other point as RTH. I do know you need GPS on the mobile device for follow me mode to work.
2018-2-5
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Salmonslayer Posted at 2018-2-5 09:35
Thanks for reply, but its my understanding when the RTH  it is established being the OS as the home point, (not a land fix RTH)  it doesnt follower the non GPS tablet , examble Apple mini4 .
I may be confused but it is my understanding that with the P3S you can have the home point being the OS  if it has internal GPS .... is this wrong ?

The Phantom has its own GPS receiver and it records the home point location to use for RTH.
If you have one of Apple's non-GPS tablets, the only functions you miss out on are:
1.  Follow-me flight - the Phantom can't follow you if it doesn't know your location
2.  Resetting the home point to your current location - only used if you are flying from a moving car/boat etc or walking a long way while flying
2018-2-5
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

Labroides is spot on. The Follow Me mode and refreshing home point cannot be used if there is no GPS on the mobile devices. Also, please cache the map in advance if you need to fly some places whether the internet is not available.
2018-2-6
Use props
Salmonslayer
lvl.4
Canada

Thanks ,  so if you wanted to used the Phantom 3 Standard to its full potential .... Purchasing a Apple mini 4 is not the way to go because they do not have GPS in them ... am I correct ?
2018-2-6
Use props
Amateur Droner
lvl.4
Flight distance : 6411 ft

United States

Hello Salmonslayer,

I had similar question about the use of wifi only tablet and GPS.
I am new to all this, but I am going to try an iPad mini 4 wifi only, and link up my Garmin Glo GPS (blue tooth) to see if follow me works.
I plan to download maps to my iPad to use offline, then also see if the linked GPS would show on the map.
The iPad is on its way and I will post my results.
2018-2-6
Use props
Amateur Droner
lvl.4
Flight distance : 6411 ft

United States

Hello Salmonslayer,

I had similar question about the use of a wifi only tablet, and GPS (Thread - Wifi (only) Tablet GPS
I am new to all this, but I am going to try an iPad mini 4 wifi only, and link up my Garmin Glo GPS (blue tooth) to see if follow me works.
I plan to download maps to my iPad to use offline, then also see if the linked GPS would show on the map.
The iPad is on its way and I will post my results.
2018-2-6
Use props
Salmonslayer
lvl.4
Canada

Thanks for your response but my thread has more to spacifically GPS as it relates to my P3S 's potential and the fact that without GPS on the Apple Ipad mini 4,the P3S can not be used to its maximum... Nothing really to do with WiFi as there is a billion comments on numerous sites already  
2018-2-6
Use props
eman_vg
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1015440 ft
United States

Pretty much all essential features will be avaliable. Peterx 's response was perfect.
2018-2-6
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules