Zenmuse + GCU with Pixhawk
5707 7 2018-2-5
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Andrea Ranieri
lvl.1

Italy

Hi there,

I've built my drone around a Pixahwk 2.1 FCU but now I'd like to buy a H3-3D gimbal (because it looks like it has the best value for its price point) and connect to it through a GCU (part 46, right?). Is it possible to do so? I'm not understanding the wiring to the Phantom or Naza v2, could some support guy please explain a bit how the FCU->GCU->H3-3D chain works? Last but not least, will I be able to move the gimbal from my Taranis X9D Plus?

Thanks!

2018-2-5
Use props
YOYOMAN
lvl.4
Flight distance : 676260 ft
Réunion

I dont think you can connect Pixawk to Zenmuse but, you can connect Zenmuse to NAZA , and then connect your NAZA to AQ & Pixhawk
2018-2-5
Use props
Avio
lvl.1

Italy

YOYOMAN Posted at 2018-2-5 11:05
I dont think you can connect Pixawk to Zenmuse but, you can connect Zenmuse to NAZA , and then connect your NAZA to AQ & Pixhawk

Thanks for your reply Yoyoman. I'm not sure that buying a second FCU just to control the gimbal is a cost-effective solution, at least for the moment. Maybe in the future I'll be willing to ad FCU redundancy to my drone and your solution will become "less expensive", but for the moment I'd just like to have H3-3D + GCU if this is a viable solution.

I'd really appreciate a final word on this from DJI. Is a DJI flight controller always needed or H3-3D + GCU can also be a "standalone" solution for my drone?

Thanks

2018-2-6
Use props
fans5879ae69
lvl.1

Avio Posted at 2018-2-6 02:22
Thanks for your reply Yoyoman. I'm not sure that buying a second FCU just to control the gimbal is a cost-effective solution, at least for the moment. Maybe in the future I'll be willing to ad FCU redundancy to my drone and your solution will become "less expensive", but for the moment I'd just like to have H3-3D + GCU if this is a viable solution.

I'd really appreciate a final word on this from DJI. Is a DJI flight controller always needed or H3-3D + GCU can also be a "standalone" solution for my drone?

I also have need of a similar scenario. I am connecting a Zenmuse Z15 to a pixhawk 2.1. I assume I would use the CANBUS as it is shown to connect to the A2 through CANBUS. Is there a off the shelf cable to go from the Pixhawk 2.1 JST to Zenmuse  Z15 GCU.
2018-3-29
Use props
Avio
lvl.1

Italy

fans5879ae69 Posted at 2018-3-29 11:33
I also have need of a similar scenario. I am connecting a Zenmuse Z15 to a pixhawk 2.1. I assume I would use the CANBUS as it is shown to connect to the A2 through CANBUS. Is there a off the shelf cable to go from the Pixhawk 2.1 JST to Zenmuse  Z15 GCU.

My suggestion is to forget about DJI proprietary components and focus on more open solutions, like I did. DJI proprietary stuff is simply not dependable, it just works until it's broken or outdated, then you are on your own. Try to read how many people out there had a small problem with a H3-3D and gave up trying to repair it or update it.

For my scenario, I chose a HAKRC Storm32 3-axis gimbal from Aliexpress (1/6th of the price of a H3-3D). If you search for "hakrc storm32 rcgroups" on Google you'll find a 700+ pages thread where you'll read that it can be as good as H3-3D with a bit of PID tuning. In that thread you'll also learn how to easily solve a wide range of small problems that would render a H3-3D ready for the junkyard, and much more.

Morale of the story: if you're not afraid to learn and don't have a continuous stream of bucks to throw at always new stuff, try a more open solution first.
2018-3-30
Use props
fans5879ae69
lvl.1

Avio Posted at 2018-3-30 02:35
My suggestion is to forget about DJI proprietary components and focus on more open solutions, like I did. DJI proprietary stuff is simply not dependable, it just works until it's broken or outdated, then you are on your own. Try to read how many people out there had a small problem with a H3-3D and gave up trying to repair it or update it.

For my scenario, I chose a HAKRC Storm32 3-axis gimbal from Aliexpress (1/6th of the price of a H3-3D). If you search for "hakrc storm32 rcgroups" on Google you'll find a 700+ pages thread where you'll read that it can be as good as H3-3D with a bit of PID tuning. In that thread you'll also learn how to easily solve a wide range of small problems that would render a H3-3D ready for the junkyard, and much more.

Thank you for your reply. It has always been my MO to go opensourse. I am wanting to use the Zenmuse Z15 with Panasonic GH4 camera. All arrows point to the Zenmuse Z15 gimble. If there is another solution for the DIY HL Cinema level solution I am open for suggestions. I bought 2 Z15's on Ebay so I can sell 2 Z15's on Ebay.
2018-3-30
Use props
fans5879ae69
lvl.1

What is AQ?
2018-3-30
Use props
Riz Hassan
New

United States

What is AQ??
2023-11-26
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules