Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Mavic Air, DJI Go 4 editor footage is unusable.
12Next >
2916 54 2018-2-5
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Kevin79
First Officer
Flight distance : 270899 ft
United States

Cold weather has prevented me from really testing out the new bird but I did get a chance to play around with some of the new quick shots briefly. The footage saved to the DJI Go 4 editor is choppy and has large black bars. The footage saved to the SD card is fine however. We have at least another weeks worth of cold weather here so I wont be able to fly for a while to see if the problem persists. Is this something to be concerned about? Any fixes?

2018-2-5
Use props
Chasing Light & Shadows
Captain
Flight distance : 221476 ft
United Kingdom

Which phone/tablet are you using, most likely performance issues of that device?
2018-2-5
Use props
Kevin79
First Officer
United States

iPhone 6. I have a Spark and never encountered an issue using this device.
2018-2-5
Use props
Bekaru Tree
Captain
Flight distance : 15513100 ft
South Africa

hi Kevin - deac to early jan i had those issues - then next update they were gone - i did everything recommended (changing cables, ensuring anntennae correct, reloading the app, reupdating rc and drone, i even reflashed my devise, switch off wifi and bluetooth and put in airplane mode) all the while continuing to suffer the same problem - then the app changed and my problem went away. Then the app changed again and now i am stuck again with 90% unusable footage again. even though i am pretty sure it is the app problem i continue to research other possible causes because there is nothing i can do about fixing the app and i live in the hope that maybe it is some error of mine so at least i can get some control over it. I recently googled topographical effects of 2.4ghz and came across interesting information and interesting possibilities - so today i flew with total focus on that information but still almost all my footage looks like yours. i hope you find a fix - if so please let me know, otherwise we gonna have to wait for an app update..again
2018-2-5
Use props
Bekaru Tree
Captain
South Africa

if a new app version is not provided before chinese new year officially starts (if its not already too late) then i guess i am going to have to pack my drone away till chinese holidays are over. Absolute truth is that today i went to site for my first drone job - virtually all video footage is worthless due to pixelation and other image problems.
2018-2-5
Use props
Hummingbird.UAV
Captain
Flight distance : 8330174 ft
  • >>>
Canada

What video resolution are you shooting at?  If using 4K a very high performance card is required.
2018-2-5
Use props
Bekaru Tree
Captain
South Africa

Hummingbird.UAV Posted at 2018-2-5 07:46
What video resolution are you shooting at?  If using 4K a very high performance card is required.

shooting 2.7k with a u3 micro - thats not the problem
2018-2-5
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

Hello Kevin, may I know what's the current OS of your mobile and the APP version? Please change to another place with warm weather to see whether the issue remains if applicable. Please keep us posted on the latest progress, we'd like to follow up.
2018-2-6
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

Bekaru Tree Posted at 2018-2-5 06:19
hi Kevin - deac to early jan i had those issues - then next update they were gone - i did everything recommended (changing cables, ensuring anntennae correct, reloading the app, reupdating rc and drone, i even reflashed my devise, switch off wifi and bluetooth and put in airplane mode) all the while continuing to suffer the same problem - then the app changed and my problem went away. Then the app changed again and now i am stuck again with 90% unusable footage again. even though i am pretty sure it is the app problem i continue to research other possible causes because there is nothing i can do about fixing the app and i live in the hope that maybe it is some error of mine so at least i can get some control over it. I recently googled topographical effects of 2.4ghz and came across interesting information and interesting possibilities - so today i flew with total focus on that information but still almost all my footage looks like yours. i hope you find a fix - if so please let me know, otherwise we gonna have to wait for an app update..again

Bekaru, may I know which mobile device do you use and what's the current APP version? Please kindly upload some sample if applicable, we'll forward to our engineers for double check.
2018-2-6
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13838848 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I had the same issues with my Spark - I put it down to the WiFi only transmission as didn’t get the same issues with my Mavic Pro - the footage on the SD card was always fine though
2018-2-7
Use props
Bekaru Tree
Captain
South Africa

DJI Susan Posted at 2018-2-6 23:24
Bekaru, may I know which mobile device do you use and what's the current APP version? Please kindly upload some sample if applicable, we'll forward to our engineers for double check.

Hi dji susan - my devise is sony experia z3 and app version 4.2.4. Unfortunately i deleted the footage. I was hoping to fly today to see if things are the same but the wind is too strong.
i know that the sony is not on the recommended list but it has worked very well before - then for a while i have some problems and then some time later everything is back to normal again.
for a few weeks i was having problems but yesterday i had a great flight - the day before 90% of footage was useless as it looked the same as in the video clip at the start of this thread)
as soon as the wind stops i will go back to the same place i had serious issues last time (which was 2 days ago) to test that site again.

2018-2-7
Use props
cyborg
First Officer
Flight distance : 123960 ft
Singapore

Bekaru Tree Posted at 2018-2-5 06:23
if a new app version is not provided before chinese new year officially starts (if its not already too late) then i guess i am going to have to pack my drone away till chinese holidays are over. Absolute truth is that today i went to site for my first drone job - virtually all video footage is worthless due to pixelation and other image problems.

but why is your footage useless ? You have a good copy saved in the SD card.. isn't it ? or am I missing something ?
2018-2-7
Use props
Kevin79
First Officer
United States

DJI Susan Posted at 2018-2-6 23:13
Hello Kevin, may I know what's the current OS of your mobile and the APP version? Please change to another place with warm weather to see whether the issue remains if applicable. Please keep us posted on the latest progress, we'd like to follow up.

IOS version 11.2.5 (15D60)

DJI Go 4 version 4.2.5 (15D60)

Still waiting for a warm enough day to test again, I’m hoping it was just the cold weather affecting my mobile device.
2018-2-7
Use props
Kevin79
First Officer
United States

cyborg Posted at 2018-2-7 06:29
but why is your footage useless ? You have a good copy saved in the SD card.. isn't it ? or am I missing something ?

The concept behind the DJI editor in the app is so that you can create quick clips on your mobile device on the fly and post them online directly from your phone. The quality is of course not near what you get from the SD card but it’s nice to be able to post stuff while you’re out and about. More importantly for me, I use it while I’m out flying to review some of my footage to see if I got the shots I really wanted before I get home and find out that the angle I had wasn’t great or had poor lighting/exposure issues, etc.
2018-2-7
Use props
cyborg
First Officer
Flight distance : 123960 ft
Singapore

Kevin79 Posted at 2018-2-7 06:51
The concept behind the DJI editor in the app is so that you can create quick clips on your mobile device on the fly and post them online directly from your phone. The quality is of course not near what you get from the SD card but it’s nice to be able to post stuff while you’re out and about. More importantly for me, I use it while I’m out flying to review some of my footage to see if I got the shots I really wanted before I get home and find out that the angle I had wasn’t great or had poor lighting/exposure issues, etc.

ah, I get it.  I used to take a look at it, but then I saw a 1GB+ video on the SD card is 170MB+ in the app, so never took it seriously.
2018-2-7
Use props
Bekaru Tree
Captain
South Africa

cyborg Posted at 2018-2-7 06:29

You are corrct that a good copy is on the sd card - the bit you are missing is the fact that i use the app for video editing and i cant edit from the sd card - only from internal storage
2018-2-7
Use props
Bekaru Tree
Captain
South Africa

DJI Susan Posted at 2018-2-6 23:24

hi dji susan - today i was out flying and again have these problems of video lag on my devise. Out of about 10 clips i made every one is useless due to lag problems.
I have chosen this clip to show you as it also shows my location. I am standing on the jetty in the water about in the middle of the pier.
You can see my drone has perfect los to me.
My antennaes were perfectly positioned and i was paying extra attention to this.
My phone was in airplane mode - etc
The part that confuses me is that it is erratic - sometimes it works for a bit and then stops working for a long time - this i do not understand - should at least be consistant - either working or not.
Any way here is a clip showing an example of the problem i experiance.

i would really appreciate any help.
2018-2-8
Use props
Jeff7577
First Officer
Flight distance : 1916821 ft
United States

Who pays money to have you edit a crappy 720p video on your phone?
2018-2-8
Use props
Jeff7577
First Officer
Flight distance : 1916821 ft
United States

You can download the video from the sd card inside the app.
2018-2-8
Use props
Bekaru Tree
Captain
South Africa

Jeff7577 Posted at 2018-2-8 05:07
Who pays money to have you edit a crappy 720p video on your phone?

in this case it is the body coorperate of a housing estate on the side of a hill which is sustaining damage due to soil erosion washing down the hill and over the railway tracks in to the estate causing big cleanup issues.
2018-2-8
Use props
A CW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Bekaru Tree Posted at 2018-2-8 05:02
hi dji susan - today i was out flying and again have these problems of video lag on my devise. Out of about 10 clips i made every one is useless due to lag problems.
I have chosen this clip to show you as it also shows my location. I am standing on the jetty in the water about in the middle of the pier.

Apart from the issues this is a beautiful location and some lovely images Bekaru
2018-2-8
Use props
Bekaru Tree
Captain
South Africa

A CW Posted at 2018-2-8 09:58
Apart from the issues this is a beautiful location and some lovely images Bekaru

thanks acw - its a great place to fly around - big open spaces all over the place - not so many people.
Real pity about my issues and frustrating tying to work out what the problem is.
2018-2-8
Use props
A CW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Bekaru Tree Posted at 2018-2-8 10:21
thanks acw - its a great place to fly around - big open spaces all over the place - not so many people.
Real pity about my issues and frustrating tying to work out what the problem is.

Video lag is frustrating to say the least mate! So many things can cause it from your device, cables, SD card, the environment your flying in to a defect with the drone. It's a touch one to trouble shoot
2018-2-8
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

Bekaru Tree Posted at 2018-2-8 05:02
hi dji susan - today i was out flying and again have these problems of video lag on my devise. Out of about 10 clips i made every one is useless due to lag problems.
I have chosen this clip to show you as it also shows my location. I am standing on the jetty in the water about in the middle of the pier.

Just to verify, does the issue appears if changed to another mobile device? I'll forward this video to our engineers for review as well.
2018-2-9
Use props
Bekaru Tree
Captain
South Africa

DJI Susan Posted at 2018-2-9 03:21
Just to verify, does the issue appears if changed to another mobile device? I'll forward this video to our engineers for review as well.

hi dji susan.
over the past week or so i have been flying as much as possible still trying to trouble shoot what the video lag and pixilation problem is. Each day i have been flying during the day and then again at sunset.
I have been using 2 locations from the same spot each time. At both locations i have got good results and bad results.

One thing i have noticed is that my footage from the evening flying has been much better than the daytime footage. By saying it is better, i mean that there is less pixilation and lag ie: more usable footage.
In the past 2 days i made a few new clips and post them here for you to see what i mean.
The problem shown in the first clip is present on 90% of all footage taken during day times (when it is bright) but i used extracts from only 2 clips to show how it looks

The next 2 clips show footage also from the past 2 days but these were from evening flights. Although there was a little bit of lag/pixilation it was not a lot and i edited them out of the videos.

During the day times when it is bright outside the pixilation/lag is severe and 90% of footage is useless.
During the evening flights about 10% or less of the footage is pixilated.
I do not know if this is coincidence but it is a real observation.

I bought my mavic pro in March last year so it means almost one year ago.
I got my drone was on holiday in cape town and i remember that my very first flights had similar problems also. i was flying over race boats in the bay and at first the images were blowing my mind it was so good - but then heavy pixilation started. Because i was new to drones and cameras i assumed that the problem was with me and set about learning as much as possible to be able to fly safely and take good footage.
I then crashed my drone and it was sent back to china.
when i got it back, the pixilation problem was still present but not all the time. I became active on the forum trying to see if others had the issue and what the fix might be.
I continued all the time to assume that the problem was with me until about 4 months ago when i seemed to me that my problem came and went with differant app versions - maybe it true or not but that seemed to be the case.
I did everything that is was advised - change cables, check antennae, change shooting location, turn of wifi, turn on airplane mode, use diferant devise etc etc.
My original devise was expensive but i bought it as it was recommended by my dji supplier in Cape town (it is the only devise they sell because according to them it is the right devise to opperate dji drones with) - but i had problems on that devise since the very first flight.
One year later and it remains the only devise they sell for drones - so surely that is not the problem.

I remember still the day i crashed my drone. Although i assumed full responsibility for the crash something always stuck in my head which made me doubt that it was entirely my fault but as a newbie i assumed it must have been my error. The thing that happened then as is happening now is the video lag and pixilation. Whilst flying that day the image in my screen washed out and in the fright and confusion i ended up flying into a tree. That cost me 10% the value of my drone to get fixed.

I eventually also bought a new expensive devise thinking that better phone specs might improve my situation .. but it has not. Now i have a very expensive piece of redundant equipment and a very more more expense new devise and i still have the same problems - makes this problem so much more frustrating.

As i say from the start i took the assumption that the problem was due to my own errors and tried everything possible to resolve - but to date have had no success.

Now finally as my warentee is about to expire. i am wondering if it is not perhaps the drone which has a problem and maybe the fault has not been with me.

After almost one full year of trying to isolate the problem i can think of only 3 possibilities.
1. perhaps the drone has a fault
2. perhaps certain app versions have been a problem
3. perhaps light sharpness on the sensor (moving on and off) is causing the problem

a final observation that is worth mentioning is this: whenever i start getting pixilation/lag problems my drone yaw also lags and then becomes over responsive. The over responsive could be because when it lags then i give a little more stick and then it swings around too fast.
I always fly in sports mode so i am well practiced at controling my yaw - there is a definate difference in my yaw (left and right turns) responsiveness when the drone is filming nicely and when the lag situation comes along.

Please advise what you suggest i should do.

2018-2-10
Use props
Bekaru Tree
Captain
South Africa

hi kevin - i have posted an update on my problem which appears in some respects similar to yrs - if you are interested you may wish to check it out in this thread of yours (have posted 3 clips in that reply)
2018-2-10
Use props
Bekaru Tree
Captain
South Africa

hi dji susan -
today my app automatically updated to v4.2.6
this evening i was notified of new up date v4.3 which i did and completed successfully although my app tells me it is still v4.2.6
Anyway having updated i noticed lag on my video feed and heavy pixilation. there is almost 1 second difference between me lifting my hand and the mavic camera recording it.
This lag always comes then with pixilation in the image - mostly at the lower half of the screen while the top half shows perfect picture - what to do??

if anything it looks like my problem got a bit worse.
During flights today, almost all footage is unusable.

i am really concerned that my warentee is running out.
The whole year till now i have assumed the problems were due to something of my own fault but i have tried everything i was advised and much more - what should i do?
I would appreciate some advise.
2018-2-10
Use props
Kevin79
First Officer
United States

Bekaru Tree Posted at 2018-2-10 03:08
hi kevin - i have posted an update on my problem which appears in some respects similar to yrs - if you are interested you may wish to check it out in this thread of yours (have posted 3 clips in that reply)

Thanks, but I was able to fly through two batteries today with no issues this time. I'm going to attribute my previous issues to the cold weather and my phone not handling it well
2018-2-10
Use props
Bekaru Tree
Captain
South Africa

Hi dji susan - today i flew using another devise which still has v4.1.18 on it. i have tried to make a video to post for you to see but after 4 attempts it fails every time at 99%. I am trying now a 5th time - again it hangs at 99% , will not upload:-(
6th time tried, still gets stuck at 99% - i do not think it is going to work so i will have to try explain it.

There are still problems but now they are a bit different.
The good news is that only  out of all my clips only 1 was with pixilation
The bad news is that
1. there is frequent signal loss when the drone is close to me (within 50m) at about 2m height
2. during a 1km return flight (straight line back to me)at about 60 m height the filming was great most of the time but about 3 times during the flight the camera stopped and then kicked in again and stopped and in again. The closer i got to home the worse the stop start issue became.

All the time the rc continued to work despite it was saying weak signal and signal loss. in other words when the signal loss occurred it did not affect my remote control.

So the short answer here is that yes i have tried another devise which happens to have an older app version.
I was still having problems but they were a bit differant to before in so far as there is much less (hardly any) pixilation.
The similarity of signal loss still happens - although with the older app it seems to be worse
The similarity with over responsive stick controls is about the same.

I will now update the app on the other devise because it will not complete video uploads.

2018-2-11
Use props
Bekaru Tree
Captain
South Africa

update to my last post to you.
Regarding the video that fails to upload at 99% and the information i provided.
The footage, the same video clips look different when viewed in
a.  my devise internal storage - viewed here the video stops and starts, stops and starts
b. when viewed in my dji app - those places where it seems to stop start (when viewed from internal storage)  instead looks heavy pixilated when viewed in app
c. from my drone sd card - footage is perfect - but i cannot edit in dji app from sd card so although it looks good i cannot use it.
2018-2-11
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

Bekaru Tree Posted at 2018-2-11 06:27
update to my last post to you.
Regarding the video that fails to upload at 99% and the information i provided.
The footage, the same video clips look different when viewed in

Bekaru, sorry for the late response due to the holiday. Double check, your drone is Mavic Pro, right? As we talked under the Mavic Air title, it confused me at the beginning. Regarding the video lag, I'm sorry it is hard to tell the exact status from your videos and description. Could you upload the original videos in SD card as well? We'd like to see whether we can help.
2018-2-23
Use props
Bekaru Tree
Captain
South Africa

DJI Susan Posted at 2018-2-23 02:25
Bekaru, sorry for the late response due to the holiday. Double check, your drone is Mavic Pro, right? As we talked under the Mavic Air title, it confused me at the beginning. Regarding the video lag, I'm sorry it is hard to tell the exact status from your videos and description. Could you upload the original videos in SD card as well? We'd like to see whether we can help.

Hi dji susan - thanks for replying.
Yes my drone is the mavic pro.
As mentioned in my previous post - the footage from my sd card is good quality and to provide a clip thereof will provide no insight to my problems.
However footage from sd card cannot be used on djigo editor - only footage stored to internal storage can be used for djigo editing.
Due to unexplained disconnect problems and image pixilation 2 problems are created:
1.  because of the pixilation and disconnects i cannot see what the camera is seeing and therefore cannot compose shots or fly through video shots
1a. it also means that sometimes when i am flying through a shot and the camera cuts out or pixilates badly then i can no longer see properly where i am and which during last week alone almost caused me to have to crashes at 30 m altitude - luckily i stopped just before i hit a tree -
2. the pixilated footage means that the images that do come through is 'damaged/faulty' and cannot be used to make video clips on the djigo editor
2018-2-23
Use props
Bekaru Tree
Captain
South Africa

DJI Susan Posted at 2018-2-23 02:25

As mentioned in my previous post - the footage from my sd card is good quality and to provide a clip thereof will provide no insight to my problems.
However footage from sd card cannot be used on djigo editor - only footage stored to internal storage can be used for djigo editing.
Due to unexplained disconnect problems and image pixilation 2 problems are created:
1.  because of the pixilation and disconnects i cannot see what the camera is seeing and therefore cannot compose shots or fly through video shots
1a. it also means that sometimes when i am flying through a shot and the camera cuts out or pixilates badly then i can no longer see properly where i am and which during last week alone almost caused me to have to crashes at 30 m altitude - luckily i stopped just before i hit a tree -
2. the pixilated footage means that the images that do come through is 'damaged/faulty' and cannot be used to make video clips on the djigo editor
2018-2-23
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

Bekaru Tree Posted at 2018-2-23 10:19

Thanks for the clarification. The APP update frequently but your problem seems to remain, therefore, I do not think it is the APP issue at this moment. Would you mind sending the aircraft in for a fully diagnosis? I know it might be a long way but will be helpful in figuring this out totally. Thanks for your understanding.
2018-2-25
Use props
Bekaru Tree
Captain
South Africa

DJI Susan Posted at 2018-2-25 01:28
Thanks for the clarification. The APP update frequently but your problem seems to remain, therefore, I do not think it is the APP issue at this moment. Would you mind sending the aircraft in for a fully diagnosis? I know it might be a long way but will be helpful in figuring this out totally. Thanks for your understanding.

Thanks for your reply - i did send my mavic pro back to my supplier (Drone world Cape Town) on Monday 19 Feb 2018 for a full diagnosis.
I am waiting to hear back from them.
2018-2-25
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

Bekaru Tree Posted at 2018-2-25 03:40
Thanks for your reply - i did send my mavic pro back to my supplier (Drone world Cape Town) on Monday 19 Feb 2018 for a full diagnosis.
I am waiting to hear back from them.

Have the dealer reported in the dealer system? Is there any case number for following?
2018-2-28
Use props
Bekaru Tree
Captain
South Africa

DJI Susan Posted at 2018-2-28 01:40
Have the dealer reported in the dealer system? Is there any case number for following?

Thank you - i have just received an email, sent  today from my supplier - attached below.

The email states only that my drone is being returned to me - no other details about any outcomes of a test or what was found or if anything was found - just that my drone is on its way back to me.
I also received an email from a courier service advising that a package from my supplier is being couriered to me.

I have phoned the supplier today to speak with the head of their technical team to ask about what they discovered or if they discovered anything or whatever the outcome of their tests have been.

Unfortunately  that head of department is out of the office at this time but i have left a message and am sure he will call me back later.
When i have heard from him i can update you on the situation.
2018-2-28
Use props
Mavic Ace
Second Officer
Flight distance : 333976 ft
  • >>>
United States

Of you want good video use the SD card. Expecting perfect 4K video via WiFi  transmission is asking a bit much. Kind of like expecting Blu-ray quality from a 480p TV show recorded on a VHS from an over the air antenna.  Not gonna happen.
2018-2-28
Use props
Bekaru Tree
Captain
South Africa

hi dji susan - i have just received my mavic pro back by courier from the supplier.
There were no notes, advise or test results or invoice present - so i phoned them to ask about what happened.
I was told by the technical HOD that tests revealed a gimbal issue.
They have replaced the gimbal - i can confirm that it looks like a new one (mostly because there is a sticker with yellow tag that looks like a new manufacture detail)
Also the ribbon appears to be a new one. i will analyse close up photos of my old and new gimbal ribbon later to see if this is correct but appears so. it is too small to view without magnification.

In conclusion: on the face of it my mavic has been analysed/tested. The repair effected for some test anomoly they discovered was to replace my entire gimbal.
I sent it away last week monday and received it back with repairs and no invoice one week later.

That's amazing.
I am so happy and feeling proud to be a dji client.

Test flight is my next priority - i will keep you advised regarding results.
2018-3-1
Use props
Bekaru Tree
Captain
South Africa

hi dji susan

attached is a screenshot of my video clips from today test flight after i got my drone back.

The first few clips were faulty as before - all the rest of the clips were without fault.
2018-3-1
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules