defocused left side of image - seems like a hardware issue
904 15 2018-2-5
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fans20ccab22
lvl.1
Flight distance : 160062 ft
United States

So I'm on my third Phantom 4 Pro+, fortunately not due to any crashes.  My first unit had a defective compass that couldn't be properly calibrated.  DJI took care of it under warranty and sent me back a drone with a working compass fairly quickly. However, that second drone had a camera that was noticeably out of focus/distorted on the left side of the image.  Center and right side would be in focus, but not the left.  So I sent that one back too and another drone came back to me a few weeks later.  But this one is either the same and wasn't fixed, or has the same problem.

I'm convinced that this is a hardware issue as I've tried everything possible in software: different firmware versions, recalibration of IMU and compass, various camera settings ... but the problem persists.  I also don't think it's a focus issue as the center and right side of images are quite sharp.  I don't expect edge-to-edge perfection in a lens at this level but just comparing the images I'm capturing to what I see from others, mine seems clearly defective.   

Looking for any other thoughts or comment from DJI rep?  I'm not excited about sending it back again ...

Some examples that I uploaded to flickr:  Note sharpness in center and right side and defocused left side, especially bad towards lower left corner:

https://flic.kr/p/22HVbxp
https://flic.kr/p/22HVaQT
https://flic.kr/p/22HV9Ue
https://flic.kr/p/243sdyN

2018-2-5
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
Flight distance : 6188465 ft
  • >>>
France

I like your pictures. I have to say, even when blown up to full screen, it takes a careful examination to see the blurring..  Yes it's discernible, but it's not awful. Had you not pointed it out I might not have noticed it.  Just my opinion.
2018-2-5
Use props
fans20ccab22
lvl.1
United States

Blériot53 Posted at 2018-2-5 06:32
I like your pictures. I have to say, even when blown up to full screen, it takes a careful examination to see the blurring..  Yes it's discernible, but it's not awful. Had you not pointed it out I might not have noticed it.  Just my opinion.

Thank you.  You're right, it's not horrible, but I bought the P4P because of it's supposed best in class lens and sensor as an arial photography platform and it is very noticeable to me, especially when printed.  I definitely don't expect perfection here, but it's clearly not consistent across the image ... going from impressively sharp in the center and right side to blurry on the left.  It detracts from every image and I don't see it on pictures posted by others.  It looks like a classic lens defect/misalignment issue ...
2018-2-5
Use props
dancopter
Second Officer
Flight distance : 17901030 ft
  • >>>
United Arab Emirates

Same with mine. Very expensive fix unfortunately if not covered by warranty.
2018-2-5
Use props
fans20ccab22
lvl.1
United States

dancopter Posted at 2018-2-5 07:15
Same with mine. Very expensive fix unfortunately if not covered by warranty.

Yeah ... I bought mine in Dec 2016 but I've already returned it once under warranty for the same issue and it wasn't fixed.  So I'm wondering if they are going to give me a hard time or cover it like I believe they should since I originally reported the problem during the warranty period ...
2018-2-5
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
Flight distance : 6188465 ft
  • >>>
France

fans20ccab22 Posted at 2018-2-5 07:08
Thank you.  You're right, it's not horrible, but I bought the P4P because of it's supposed best in class lens and sensor as an arial photography platform and it is very noticeable to me, especially when printed.  I definitely don't expect perfection here, but it's clearly not consistent across the image ... going from impressively sharp in the center and right side to blurry on the left.  It detracts from every image and I don't see it on pictures posted by others.  It looks like a classic lens defect/misalignment issue ...

That's a frustrating situation for you. Our drones are not cheap toys, and one would expect a high level of quality control, and after-sales service.  There are numerous accounts of dis-satisfaction on this forum, but the other side of the coin is less well documented. Perhaps you will have better luck.
2018-2-5
Use props
fans20ccab22
lvl.1
United States

Blériot53 Posted at 2018-2-5 15:02
That's a frustrating situation for you. Our drones are not cheap toys, and one would expect a high level of quality control, and after-sales service.  There are numerous accounts of dis-satisfaction on this forum, but the other side of the coin is less well documented. Perhaps you will have better luck.

Thank you ... it is particularly frustrating because the camera does have the potential to capture excellent photos ... I just wish that I didn't get a bad sample two times in a row.  If only the left side was as sharp as the right, I'd be overjoyed.

Can anyone from DJI comment on this?  Known issue?  Will my warranty claim be denied or since I first logged the problem before the warranty expired will it be honored?  If it is honored, are you just going to send me back the same defective camera again??

I love this drone ... best toy I ever owned ... and for the most part the software is fantastic as well ... but I can't use it for the intended purpose (capturing amazing arial photos) with this defect.  
2018-2-5
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

This situation has filled us with regret, we are sincerely sorry for the trouble you’ve been caused. Regarding the camera issue, have you tried to reset the camera settings? Please try again and send us some original pictures in the SD card for double check, thanks!
2018-2-5
Use props
fans20ccab22
lvl.1
United States

Thank you Susan.  I have tried resetting the camera settings, as well as IMU and compass calibrations ... and multiple firmware versions.  Just looking at the images, it seems unlikely to be a software issue though.  The image is in focus and properly exposed with good detail in the center and right side, but you can see the same de-focusing and blurring on every shot on the left side and especially towards the lower left corner.  It looks more like a lens manufacturing/assembly defect.  What's the best way to post the original images?
2018-2-5
Use props
fans20ccab22
lvl.1
United States

fans20ccab22 Posted at 2018-2-5 20:55
Thank you Susan.  I have tried resetting the camera settings, as well as IMU and compass calibrations ... and multiple firmware versions.  Just looking at the images, it seems unlikely to be a software issue though.  The image is in focus and properly exposed with good detail in the center and right side, but you can see the same de-focusing and blurring on every shot on the left side and especially towards the lower left corner.  It looks more like a lens manufacturing/assembly defect.  What's the best way to post the original images?

DJI Susan - I created shared dropbox folder with the RAW images straight out of the camera off of the SD Card:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/rchlk ... dtQldnBaUTNzea?dl=0

Let me know if you can't access ...
2018-2-8
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

fans20ccab22 Posted at 2018-2-8 05:40
DJI Susan - I created shared dropbox folder with the RAW images straight out of the camera off of the SD Card:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/rchlkoqla2ivdc8/AADgSzQO7cLdtQldnBaUTNzea?dl=0

Hi there, after checking, I suggest that you might need to send the drone in again. Please kindly apply for the repair case so we can help. https://repair.dji.com/en/SelfRepair/Area
2018-2-8
Use props
fans20ccab22
lvl.1
United States

DJI Thor Posted at 2018-2-8 23:53
Hi there, after checking, I suggest that you might need to send the drone in again. Please kindly apply for the repair case so we can help. https://repair.dji.com/en/SelfRepair/Area

Thanks Thor ... will do.  Hopefully I won't face any warranty issues as the original claim for the same problem was submitted during the warranty period but not fixed after sending my drone to DJI and receiving it back.
2018-2-9
Use props
fans20ccab22
lvl.1
United States

fans20ccab22 Posted at 2018-2-9 11:56
Thanks Thor ... will do.  Hopefully I won't face any warranty issues as the original claim for the same problem was submitted during the warranty period but not fixed after sending my drone to DJI and receiving it back.

Submitted Case number: CAS-1465835-S4X8K5

Thanks again Thor and Susan ... maybe if you could write a note in the case that you've already reviewed the raw images and agree that there is likely a hardware problem it could expedite things?  Anything you can do to expedite and reduce the inevitable back and forth with support would be very much appreciated.
2018-2-9
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator

fans20ccab22 Posted at 2018-2-9 13:22
Submitted Case number: CAS-1465835-S4X8K5

Thanks again Thor and Susan ... maybe if you could write a note in the case that you've already reviewed the raw images and agree that there is likely a hardware problem it could expedite things?  Anything you can do to expedite and reduce the inevitable back and forth with support would be very much appreciated.

Hi there, our engineers will diagnose again when we receive the drone. As I had checked the case you mentioned above, the drone was shipped to you in April, last year, right? If so, it's been almost 10 months that you reported this case to us, it's been a very long time. I am not able to ensure if it could be a warranty case, maybe you need to wait. Thank you for understanding.
2018-2-9
Use props
fans20ccab22
lvl.1
United States

DJI Thor Posted at 2018-2-9 20:05
Hi there, our engineers will diagnose again when we receive the drone. As I had checked the case you mentioned above, the drone was shipped to you in April, last year, right? If so, it's been almost 10 months that you reported this case to us, it's been a very long time. I am not able to ensure if it could be a warranty case, maybe you need to wait. Thank you for understanding.

Yeah I didn't start using it again until this December because I moved and packed it away.  When I started using it again I took a lot of pictures because I didn't want to believe that it had the same problem.  I look forward to the analysis ... the Engineers should be able to see that I haven't flown it much and never crashed or abused it.  The defect has obviously been there since day one.  It's not like anything I could have done would create this problem.  And the drone doesn't have a scratch on it.  Anyway, thanks again for taking the time to investigate, I appreciate it!!

- Josh
2018-2-9
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator

It's a pleasure to help. Please wait patiently for the response coming from us regarding about the feedback of the investigation. Thank you.
2018-2-17
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules