Finding insurance is so hard!!!!
3128 13 2015-4-28
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
mountmotor
lvl.4

United States

Were you guys able to find insurance? I called 15 different offices with no luck...All I want is the drone to be insured in case of any damages...I am not looking for liability insurance...I just want the hull or drone covered...If you know of anything please let me know. I am located in Califronia.
2015-4-28
Use props
roy
lvl.2

United States

I found three. I don't remember two of them because I decided against them. The one I am going to use is called Aerial Pak by Hill & Usher. Main reason I'm going with them over the other two is that they cover you for the same price regardless of how many different drones you fly. The other two charge you more per drone. They would be cheaper if you only have one drone but if you have multiple drones Aerial Pak is cheaper. However, Aerial Pak requires you to have additional insurance for ground based operations. You can get it from them if you don't already have it.
2015-4-29
Use props
PeteGould
lvl.4

United States

The Aerial Pak FAQ is at this link: https://aerialpak.com/faq.jsp

About two thirds of the way down the FAQ is this question and answer:
Is membership in the RCAPA a requirement for coverage?

Yes. Aerial Pak™ policyholders further agree to operate all UAV equipment within the guidelines of the RCAPA organization and the FAA.

Since the FAA "guidelines" prohibit flying for any kind of direct or indirect compensation, if it applies to this policy it would make coverage unavailable to anyone who flies for money.

For those who don't know, the reference to the "RCAPA" is to the Remote Control Aerial Platform Association (http://rcapa.net), which is an organization that claims to advocate for professional use of UAS.  But once the policy FAQ says you have to fly within FAA "guidelines" - not federal statutes or officially-adopted FARs, but GUIDELINES - I would want to see the exact wording of the actual policy before considering it.

I have sent Hill & Usher an inquiry via their contact page and will let you know how they respond.
2015-4-29
Use props
PeteGould
lvl.4

United States

As promised:

Me: Your FAQ requires flying within "FAA guidelines."  Currently in the absence of federal statutes or federal air regulations governing UAS, the FAA has attempted to take the position that flying an aerial camera such as a DJI Inspire for compensation is prohibited.  This public position is unsupported by law but the FAA has nonetheless adopted it as a published "guideline."  Regulations permitting commercial certification for UAS operators are at least a year, perhaps two, away.  Please explain how your policy would apply to a professional videographer who responsibly operates a UAS, for compensation, in the interim.  Thanks.

Their reply:
We've been writing coverage for commercial aerial photography and videography using UAVs since 2007. The policy applies because the insurer decided to write the coverage and pays claims when mishaps occur to trigger the liability coverage. The guidelines that an operator is required to follow are the same ones recommended by amateur remote control flyers associations. We will be happy to send you a proposal of insurance that includes the guidelines. Please complete our form located on the www.aerialpak.com website and we will send that out to you.

Sending them the form and we'll see what the reply says.
2015-4-29
Use props
mountmotor
lvl.4

United States

Please do, and if you can also get a quote that would be great thank you!
2015-4-29
Use props
roy
lvl.2

United States

The Aerial Pak is $1200 plus an "optional" addition for having unlimited additional insured for $200. So the true price is $1400 because a lot of clients will want to be added as additional insured. Also, they require you to have additional insurance for any ground-based photo or video work you do. And if you don't already have it they are happy to offer it to you for $500+.

Also, once you get it the policy does not say you will be covered for commercial flight. They just want you to fill the form out but their answer remains the same. I was told they actually have never had a claim on any drone insurance policy so there are no test cases. If this is true it's shocking more insurance companies aren't offering aerial insurance. The underwriter's dram is to offer a type of insurance with zero claims.
2015-4-30
Use props
arunmehta
lvl.4
Flight distance : 120909757 ft
  • >>>
Canada

i found one for $2899 and you only buy it once not every year....good for life....http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/pr ... /dji_inspire_1.html
(in jest dont take it personally)
2015-4-30
Use props
triise
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1303471 ft
Norway

I have my insurance in WR Berkley, their norwegian branch gives insurance for 3rd party damages at least. I don't know if they provide this insurance all over the world but its worth a try maybe.
http://www.wrberkley.com
2015-4-30
Use props
aviationbroker
lvl.1

United States

Hello,

I am new to this forum but I know I can help drone owners, who are interested, procure insurance for their drone operation. I am an aviation specific insurance broker. I only insure risks associated with aviation. I am appointed with all of the major aviation specific insurance companies (there are currently about 15 of them). As of this moment, 4 of them are offering policies to cover the operation of drones. It does not matter if you operate the UAV for pleasure or commercially, I can get you covered. Many people believe that their homeowner's or renter's insurance policy will cover their drone operation. However, truth be told, most policies of that nature specifically exclude anything aviation related. If you cause an accident, you could be liable for bodily injury and property damage well above the cost of your UAV.

I work for a small, family owned business. We are not pushy at all. If you do not like the price of the coverage I can provide, I will not contact you any further.

If you would like more information, please reply to this post. If you are interested in getting coverage, please PM me and I can email you an application.

Thanks,

Joe
2015-7-22
Use props
monte007
lvl.2

United States

aviationbroker Posted at 2015-7-23 02:55
Hello,

I am new to this forum but I know I can help drone owners, who are interested, procure insur ...

IM INTERESTED IN COVERAGE WHAT ARE YOUR PRICES
2015-7-22
Use props
aviationbroker
lvl.1

United States

Insurance laws are very strict and I do not think I can offer coverage overseas. Sorry.

For a hobbyist, coverage starts at $600 per year for $500K in liability. Coverage and prices only go up from there. If that is something that is in your price range, please email me at joe@bullockagency.com
2015-7-24
Use props
Kristoph
lvl.1

United States

aviationbroker Posted at 2015-7-25 00:20
Insurance laws are very strict and I do not think I can offer coverage overseas. Sorry.

For a hobby ...

How about for commercial real estate photography?
2015-7-24
Use props
aviationbroker
lvl.1

United States

Kristoph,

I can definitely cover the drone for commercial uses. Please contact me so I can send you an application.

joe@bullockagency.com
2015-7-24
Use props
james6161
New

United States

Pete,

Is there an update on this?
2015-8-21
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now