Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
DJI RTK and geotag of images for surveying applications
4734 9 2018-2-6
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
ustitalia
lvl.1
Italy

Hi to everyone,
my company has bought a system made up of Matrice 600 Pro+X5R+RTK.

We need to know exactly some informations and clarify some points:

•     images captured by X5R, flying with RTK system on, will be geotagged with RTK precise positions? Or, instead, will be geotagged with standard A3PRO GPS?
  •     How is it possibile to retrieve RTK GPS data from air unit to be able to, eventually, geotag images in post-processing? Or to use it with third party cameras?

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Daniele Mion
       CEO UST Italia
2018-2-6
Use props
Farnk666
Captain
Flight distance : 1711394 ft
Australia

No, the DJI RTK system is for navigation only, the image tag data comes from the flight controller GPS.
2018-2-6
Use props
ustitalia
lvl.1
Italy

Farnk666 Posted at 2018-2-6 04:30
No, the DJI RTK system is for navigation only, the image tag data comes from the flight controller GPS.

This is a nonsense for a system it costs such amount of $$, and, in my opinion a little borderline with a marketing lie...but, clarified that is only for navigation purposes, do you know if there's a way to extract the RTK GPS sentences from the air unit so to be used with third party setup ups (cameras or IRs)?
2018-2-6
Use props
Farnk666
Captain
Flight distance : 1711394 ft
Australia

Sorry, no.

As to the marketing - well that's the way the whole Drone industry rolls - heavy on promises, light on delivery.
2018-2-6
Use props
YOOSANGOH
lvl.3
Flight distance : 193294 ft
South Korea

Unfortunately, DJI says D-RTK is all-ground capability for industrial, commercial. But it's only use for navigating.
To add to my exaggerated feelings, it is expensive waste.
2018-2-11
Use props
DJI-Mark
First Officer

United States

ustitalia Posted at 2018-2-6 04:36
This is a nonsense for a system it costs such amount of $$, and, in my opinion a little borderline with a marketing lie...but, clarified that is only for navigation purposes, do you know if there's a way to extract the RTK GPS sentences from the air unit so to be used with third party setup ups (cameras or IRs)?

Have you reviewed the EXIF files on the photo? You should have Geotagged information in there.
2018-2-12
Use props
Skee
lvl.1
Sweden

On my M210 rtk the RTk is enconded into the EXIF, take a still photo check the EXIF and if it says RTK, then yey.
2018-2-13
Use props
CACT
lvl.1
Spain

Farnk666 Posted at 2018-2-6 04:30
No, the DJI RTK system is for navigation only, the image tag data comes from the flight controller GPS.

Hi.

We are working with a M600-D-RTK, X5, and i have a doubt.

From what I've been reading here and elsewhere,
it is clear to me that the RTK is for positioning only.

And you told here, that the coordinates data in the photos, comes from the flight controller GPS.

So. thats my question (sorry if the question is something silly, I just started on this)
The coordinates in the metadata, corresponds to the gimbal position (It has a kind of correction according to its position, with respect to the A3) or the coordinates corresponds to the center of the aircraft (3 antennas of the GPS)? That´s my real doubt.

Thanks in advance
Carlos A.
2018-7-4
Use props
zzz
lvl.1
Flight distance : 136086 ft

United States

Can't believe if DJI does not support that. It would be nonsense if the geo-tagged does not contain in RTK, I would assume the process to encode RTK signal into image is very easy for DJI.
2018-10-20
Use props
SteveHalford
lvl.1
Flight distance : 669026 ft
United States

Hire a company to do it! We don't try to take your job and or knowledge
2019-1-5
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules