Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Mavic Air: constant compass calibration fails
729431 729431 2018-2-6
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
SeanGalbraith
Second Officer
Flight distance : 891404 ft
  • >>>
Canada

OK I did 2 back to back flights with zero calibration issue. What I did differently as a test is that I removed my Apple Watch, turned it off, and put it in the drone bag about 6 feet away.
2018-6-7
Use props
arg_tigger
lvl.3
Flight distance : 2189816 ft
Argentina

Finally I was able to calibrate it and fly it, what I did was open the Compass sensor screen as seen below and moved around my garden until I found a spot under a roof structure with no walls where the interference went down to the 600s, line was still red but there I was able to calibrate my drone and then fly it without issues getting out of the roof obviously, I suggest everyone tries the same thing, just have the app in that screen and move around with the drone until you find a spot where the line goes down and try to calibrate there.

The calibration process was done like the app shows, that is on the second step with the drone 90 degrees to the floor and NOT the facing down as the old manuals state, I guess it might work both ways but just so you know how I managed to make it work.

Compass interference screen:

Hope this helps someone, and I will post again if I manage to keep flying without problems.
2018-6-8
Use props
Aardvark
Captain
Flight distance : 384432 ft
  • >>>

SeanGalbraith Posted at 2018-3-26 11:12
Went out for another short fly today and, as happens every time, I needed to calibrate my compass first. Before doing so, I remembered to take a screen shot of the settings beforehand.

According to this, Compass 1 had a bit of Excellent (not much, but some). Strange that it would need to be calibrated, isn't it?

Your compass is very good there, where does it tell you to calibrate ?

The lower the number (the shorter the bar) the better (less interference).
2018-6-20
Use props
SeanGalbraith
Second Officer
Flight distance : 891404 ft
  • >>>
Canada

Aardvark Posted at 2018-6-20 15:58
Your compass is very good there, where does it tell you to calibrate ?

The lower the number (the shorter the bar) the better (less interference).

It says it on the main fly screen "cannot take off. Calibrate compass"
2018-6-20
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
Captain
United States

Never mind.  Misunderstood between OP and person replying.
2018-6-20
Use props
Aardvark
Captain
  • >>>

SeanGalbraith Posted at 2018-6-20 18:50
It says it on the main fly screen "cannot take off. Calibrate compass"

Thank you for the answer, the reason I asked is that some in the past have read the 'calibrate compass' icon on the sensor screen as an instruction that calibration was required (where it was not).

An interesting point you have in post #81, I wonder if the wifi, Bluetooth or cell transmitters in the iWatch could be affecting the Air during compass calibration.
2018-6-21
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
Captain
United States

Aardvark Posted at 2018-6-21 03:33
Thank you for the answer, the reason I asked is that some in the past have read the 'calibrate compass' icon on the sensor screen as an instruction that calibration was required (where it was not).

An interesting point you have in post #81, I wonder if the wifi, Bluetooth or cell transmitters in the iWatch could be affecting the Air during compass calibration.

From aspect of radio transmissions, it should not effect the Magnetic Field .  But iWatch with metal near drone could.
2018-6-21
Use props
Aardvark
Captain
  • >>>

HedgeTrimmer Posted at 2018-6-21 09:56
From aspect of radio transmissions, it should not effect the Magnetic Field .  But iWatch with metal near drone could.

I was curious as to why, with a perfect low compass interference reading the application was still requesting a calibration. I was thinking not in terms of interference to the Earths magnetic field immediately around the compass (is there much iron in an iWatch ?) as none was showing in his screen shot. But more along the lines of something that might influence the electronics of the system perhaps causing it to produce an inaccurate notification advising him that calibration is required. Most likely it is a glitch in the App' itself (or firmware) giving false notification that compass calibration is required.
My own watch (fairly chunky metal watch and bracelet) has no affect at all on the compass error reading on my P4 unless pressed hard up to either of the legs containing the detectors (dual compass redundancy on P4).
2018-6-21
Use props
nywrecker
First Officer
Flight distance : 832421 ft

eYeSkYeYe Posted at 2018-2-6 08:11
No ferromagnetic stuff around when calibrating or starting the flight? Starting from a car is for example, a very BAD idea....

The compass calibration is a pain in the neck.
I have the same problem regardless where I start it.  I know there arent any ferrous metals in the middle of grassy areas, in a track dirt track, etc.
My air demands the calibration every single time. Sometimes it takes a couple of tries to complete the process.
2018-6-21
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
Captain
United States

Aardvark Posted at 2018-6-21 15:40
I was curious as to why, with a perfect low compass interference reading the application was still requesting a calibration. I was thinking not in terms of interference to the Earths magnetic field immediately around the compass (is there much iron in an iWatch ?) as none was showing in his screen shot. But more along the lines of something that might influence the electronics of the system perhaps causing it to produce an inaccurate notification advising him that calibration is required. Most likely it is a glitch in the App' itself (or firmware) giving false notification that compass calibration is required.
My own watch (fairly chunky metal watch and bracelet) has no affect at all on the compass error reading on my P4 unless pressed hard up to either of the legs containing the detectors (dual compass redundancy on P4).

But more along the lines of something that might influence the electronics of the system perhaps causing it to produce an inaccurate notification

I understand now what you were getting at.  It is a possibility that a strong radio signal in right (or say wrong) frequency range could cause problems with electronics involved with Magnetic Field Strength sensors and signal processing hardware.  

I do not believe it would be in WiFi frequency range, because Mavic drones are meant to transmit in WiFi range, thus electronics should be hardened in that range.  Same would go for Mavic Pro's with RC / Mavic Pro frequency range.  DJI knowing cell phones would be used with Drones (either standalone or via RC); DJI should have hardened electronics in that frequency range too.  That leaves BlueTooth, but again, most cell phones have BlueTooth so one would think DJI would have covered that frequnecy range too.   

Most likely electronics are proteced from highest and lowest frequency range at some X-times power of R.C. and Cellphones.

2018-6-21
Use props
Meck737
lvl.1
Argentina

HedgeTrimmer Posted at 2018-6-21 19:36
But more along the lines of something that might influence the electronics of the system perhaps causing it to produce an inaccurate notification

I understand now what you were getting at.  It is a possibility that a strong radio signal in right (or say wrong) frequency range could cause problems with electronics involved with Magnetic Field Strength sensors and signal processing hardware.  

Hi, any news about this Issue? I bought a MA and still can't flying it.
I'm very dissapointed,  I never had this problem with my Phantom 3 at the same location.

Someone knows what are DJI doing to fix this?

thanks
Marcos
2018-6-30
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

Meck737 Posted at 2018-6-30 16:09
Hi, any news about this Issue? I bought a MA and still can't flying it.
I'm very dissapointed,  I never had this problem with my Phantom 3 at the same location.

Hi Marcos, may I have more details of the troubleshooting you have tried? We'd like to check the current status and see whether we can help.
2018-7-13
Use props
Skypuppy
lvl.1
Flight distance : 132356 ft

Fairly new here but I have had the same experience. I have yet to recalibrate in a single attempt as well. I did have one flight where I changed batteries and did not have to recalibrate but changing the battery the second time and at the exact same launch location, I had to do the "recal dance" 7 times. I have given up as much as 6% of the battery charge trying to recalibrate. Someone please tell me this isn't going to be the case every time I want to fly.
2018-7-14
Use props
MalRitchie
lvl.1
Australia

I've been having the same problem. Real every time I fly. Most times I can get it done however sometimes it won't calibrate. I've found that powering done the MA and then re-starting it helps.

Also looking forward to a fix please DJI
2018-7-17
Use props
arg_tigger
lvl.3
Argentina

Guys, its me again, this is what I know so far, my MA will take off only if I turn it on under a roof (or as soon as I turn it on and pairs with my remote I take off) so it will fly on vision mode only once flying I can fly it outdoors and wait for it to get GPS signal and I will be able to then yes fly it wihtout restrictions, this is so far the only way I'm able to fly my MA since I traveled to Argentina from NY.

As I posted https://forum.dji.com/forum.php? ... 778&pid=1397212 even with my compass signal in green the calibration fails, doesn't matter if I have my Apple watch far away or any other electronics, event he remote control with my iphone its far away and still the calibration fails. From what I've seen so far this doesn't look like a man error, why I say this, cause before coming to Argentina (South America), I was living in NY and flew my MA there multiple times, most of those times in the city where for sure there are more cel and WIFI antennas that could cause interference and it even never asked me to calibrate the compass like it happens here in Argentina.

Reading around this Forum I found people complaining about really similar issues, basically when they travelled south of the hemisphere the compass started complaining and didn't matter how the tried to calibrate it, never worked, and there is one that had this issue when traveling to Brazil, went back to the USA without being able to fly his drone even once but the day he set foot back in the USA he was able to calibrate and fly it without any problems. Post: https://forum.dji.com/thread-148996-1-1.html

Another user (djiuser_YqxJsq3O8g9j) in South Africa having the same issue: https://forum.dji.com/forum.php? ... 778&pid=1236803

Some other posts found about Mavic Airs having compass issues:
- https://forum.dji.com/thread-142696-1-1.html
- https://forum.dji.com/thread-145306-1-1.html
- https://forum.dji.com/thread-133778-3-1.html

Any ideas on why this might be happening? I'm going back to the US in some weeks so I'm planning on taking it with me and try it over there and see if it keeps happening there.
2018-8-5
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
Captain
United States

arg_tigger Posted at 2018-8-5 20:08
Guys, its me again, this is what I know so far, my MA will take off only if I turn it on under a roof (or as soon as I turn it on and pairs with my remote I take off) so it will fly on vision mode only once flying I can fly it outdoors and wait for it to get GPS signal and I will be able to then yes fly it wihtout restrictions, this is so far the only way I'm able to fly my MA since I traveled to Argentina from NY.

As I posted https://forum.dji.com/forum.php?mod=redirect&goto=findpost&ptid=133778&pid=1397212 even with my compass signal in green the calibration fails, doesn't matter if I have my Apple watch far away or any other electronics, event he remote control with my iphone its far away and still the calibration fails. From what I've seen so far this doesn't look like a man error, why I say this, cause before coming to Argentina (South America), I was living in NY and flew my MA there multiple times, most of those times in the city where for sure there are more cel and WIFI antennas that could cause interference and it even never asked me to calibrate the compass like it happens here in Argentina.

It sounds like your MA is stuck thinking it is in New York (or North America) for some reason.

Wondering if being under a roof is blocking initial GPS reception, which conflicts from where drone thinks it lives (aka N.Y.) when you turn your drone on.
You might try temporarily covering you drone with Aluminum foil to block GPS reception, then turning it on (instead of turning it on under a roof, then going outside).

Sure would be great for us if all DJI drones had a way to do a full factory reset.  Returning drone to state it actually came from factory.  Including factory loaded firmware.
2018-8-5
Use props
GDL
First Officer
Flight distance : 2768694 ft
Singapore

Is your mobile device has location? Try connect your mobile device with RC and MA with WiFi on to update the location and other related information. See can this solve the problems.
2018-8-5
Use props
Meck737
lvl.1
Argentina

DJI Susan Posted at 2018-7-13 01:22
Hi Marcos, may I have more details of the troubleshooting you have tried? We'd like to check the current status and see whether we can help.

Hi DJI Susan, I stll can't fly my MA, few days ago I went to an very big open field and tried to set the compass at least 20 times without success, I think there is another issue, something about the southern and north hemisphere. I bpught it in Spain.
Is there a way to do a fully factoty reset?
Thanks
Marcos
2018-8-10
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

Meck737 Posted at 2018-8-10 21:50
Hi DJI Susan, I stll can't fly my MA, few days ago I went to an very big open field and tried to set the compass at least 20 times without success, I think there is another issue, something about the southern and north hemisphere. I bpught it in Spain.
Is there a way to do a fully factoty reset?
Thanks

Sorry for the late response. You may try to refresh the firmware to see whether it helps. If still no luck, please kindly provide us with the issue video and corresponding flight logs for analysis, thanks so much!
2018-8-13
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

Guys, its me again, this is what I know so far, my MA will take off only if I turn it on under a roof (or as soon as I turn it on and pairs with my remote I take off) so it will fly on vision mode only once flying I can fly it outdoors and wait for it to get GPS signal and I will be able to then yes fly it wihtout restrictions, this is so far the only way I'm able to fly my MA since I traveled to Argentina from NY.

As I posted https://forum.dji.com/forum.php?mod=redirect&goto=findpost&ptid=133778&pid=1397212 even with my compass signal in green the calibration fails, doesn't matter if I have my Apple watch far away or any other electronics, event he remote control with my iphone its far away and still the calibration fails. From what I've seen so far this doesn't look like a man error, why I say this, cause before coming to Argentina (South America), I was living in NY and flew my MA there multiple times, most of those times in the city where for sure there are more cel and WIFI antennas that could cause interference and it even never asked me to calibrate the compass like it happens here in Argentina.

Hi arg_tigger, could you upload the issue video and corresponding flight logs for better assistance? We'd like to forward to our engineers to check the exact status.
2018-8-13
Use props
MAIRDA
lvl.3
United States

Guys, its me again, this is what I know so far, my MA will take off only if I turn it on under a roof (or as soon as I turn it on and pairs with my remote I take off) so it will fly on vision mode only once flying I can fly it outdoors and wait for it to get GPS signal and I will be able to then yes fly it wihtout restrictions, this is so far the only way I'm able to fly my MA since I traveled to Argentina from NY.

Thank you for bringing this up.  Yes, my Mavic Air was never able to calibrate compass while in Brazil.  Now, to defeat the south hemisphere thesis I recently took it to the Marshall Islands and that is above the equator.  Again, the Mavic Air was never able to calibrate.  I did fly it twice, kind'a sneak it through the initialization process and took off without it recording the home location.  It was at different locations in the atoll (one urban the other at a remote beach), and these two attempts represent a 2 out of 15 attempts to fly.  And on both cases when it landed it required a compass calibration and I was not able to make it happen again.  I know people here try to imagine it is first an operator error, or that it is the watch, or this or that.  I'll say no to those because I've flown close to 100 times and never crashed. And in both Brazil and the Marshall Islands my Mavic Pro had no problems.  I do think it is a Mavic Air issue and I do think it is related to the phone communicating to the RC (plugged).
2018-8-20
Use props
rodrigosanches
lvl.3
Flight distance : 207116 ft
Brazil

This is a "normal" problem on Mavic Air. Everyone will tell you to try somewhere else, but as I see it, you should not behave like that.
2018-8-20
Use props
MAIRDA
lvl.3
United States

I tried to edit my post, but it did not allow me, so here is my more complete reply:

Thank you for bringing this up.  Yes, my Mavic Air was never able to calibrate compass while in Brazil.  

Now, to defeat the south hemisphere thesis I recently took it to the Marshall Islands which is above the equator.  Again, the Mavic Air was never able to calibrate.  

I did fly it twice, kind'a sneaking it through the initialization process as the AC just starts to communicate with the base, the took button appeared and I went for it, and it took off without recording the home location and without GPS and without needing to calibrate and it flew normally.  It happened at different locations in the atoll (one urban, just very close to the wall of the hotel, a three-story building, the other at a remote beach at the very end of the atoll, 25 miles away from the other location).

These two successful attempts represent a 2 out of 15 attempts to fly.  And on both cases when it landed it required a compass calibration and I was not able to make it happen again, even trying to do the sneak process again.  

I know people here try to imagine it is first an operator error, or that it is the watch, or this or that.  I'll say no to those because I've flown close to 100 times a Mavic Pro and the Mavic Air (I have both drones) and I never crashed.

Both Brazil and the Marshall Islands, where the phone system is different, and using an American phone (Apple 6S and Apple 5S) my Mavic Pro had no problems.  Using the same phones, the Mavic Air has issues.  I have flown the Mavic air in California and Oregon, no problems, and both locations were hundreds of miles away from my home where I fly the Mavic Air and Mavic Pro for test purposes only, do the updates, before going on trips.

I do think it is a Mavic Air issue and I do think it could be related to the phone communicating to the RC (plugged) when the phone is away from the United States, or something with the Mavic Air’s calibration process itself when in foreign land. At least this is my case, for my Mavic Air.

BTW, I just flew the Mavic Air, first time now that I’m back from the Marshall islands.  First it was saying “there is no image transmission signal”. But it updated the home point, and gave me the take off button. But It required calibration, but no message appeared on the screen about it, but when going to the menu, it was there, overall status had a red triangle with the exclamation point, and the calibration needed was there with its yellow triangle with exclamation point.  So I turned the AC off and on and calibrated it, it still said no image transmission signal.  So I turned the RC on and off, same issue, no image transmission signal. Turned the AC on and off one more time and voila, this time it worked.  Took off and flew no problems.   
2018-8-20
Use props
MAIRDA
lvl.3
United States

One more thing.  I went through the flight logs of the two flights I managed to get through before the calibration compass set in when in Marshall Islands.  

First flight, at a remote end of the atoll:
1. It says weak GPS signal
2. At five seconds into the flight, at 1.1 meters of altitude, it delivers a warning message: In flight, working compass encounters magnetic-field interference, please switch to atti mode if craft behave abnormally (it had 7 satellites indicated in the panel, but bars were not highlighted)
3. At nine seconds, another warning message pops up: "weak GPS signal, position accuracy may be compromised. Please fly with caution. (please note, it indicated connection to 8 satellites but no bars were highlighted)
4. AT 16 second into the flight it provided a "home point recorded..." and still had 8 satellites, but now the bars are highlighted.

Second flight, by the hotel, a three story building, in a busy area:
1. It says on the bottom band of the log:  Weak GPS Signal (it had zero satellites on the dash)
2. Five seconds into the flight, at 1,2 meters of altitude, a warning message came up: In flight, working compass encounters magnetic-field interference, please switch to atti mode if craft behave abnormally

No abnormal behavior was noticed on either flight.

2018-8-20
Use props
Abu Abú
Flight distance : 456 ft
Chile

hi,  

Let me add my two cents worth:

I had two separate but related issues
        1. MA requests compass calibration most flight attempts and then
        2. MA will not compass calibrate
Short solution:
        1. A IMU calibration, along with
        2. powering on the MA while level, right side up and stable and
        3. NOT moving the MA while powered on
*appears* to have solved the issue constant compass calibration request issue.  As it has requested a new compass calibration only once and in not ideal location, I do not know if issue 2 has been improved significantly.   I have to do more significant testing but am stuck in a city now.
SW/Firmware versions:
App         4.2.24
Aircraft        01.00.0400
Precise fly DB for both         01.00.01.09
Basic Fly safe DB          01.00.01.07
Longer version of the sequence with all steps.
        1. Unpacked the MA in California, USA, it flew multiple short flights with no problems.  
        2. Brought MA to home country: Chile.  Flew once and then RC requested compass calibration on every "start flight"
        3. MA refused to compass calibrate.  It succeeded on horizontal rotation and *always* failed on vertical access. 15-20 attempts. Gave up.
                a. (I attempt to calibrate in wide open space with no interference, not wearing a watch, no magnetic personality.  Tried every combination and best practice possible).
        4. Brought back to California with the intention of returning it.  Quick test, prior to returning it, and no issues flying nor calibrating the compass.
        5. Brought MA back to Chile.  After first flight (no GPS) it requested compass calibration
        6. 1 out of the 5 compass calibration succeeded.
        7. MA flew when either:
                a. No GPS or
                b. First flight after a long power down.  Subsequently it refuses to fly giving compass calibration error
        8. Since first calibration the MA refused to compass calibrate.  It continued to fail on vertical access. 10-15 attempts. (This time in a mixture of ideal and near ideal conditions).
        9. Did a Firmware reload of MA via Assistant: 2 no change
        10. Did a factory reset and reload of firmware via Assistant 2: no change
        11. Did an IMU calibration: success - maybe.

12. After IMU Calibration
                a. MA flew multiple times with no GPS Lock (4-7 Satellites)
                b. 2nd flight with launch site 4 metres from first one, requested compass calibration first. Compass calibration worked on 3rd attempt.  It appears that moving the MA, even a few meters, while on provokes a compass calibration request.
                c. I moved to a park 3 kms away, and flew three successful test flights.  At no time was compass calibration requested.
        13. Tip: it appears that turning MA on when level, upright and stable during boot sequence improves things ie it does not ask for compass calibration so often. (Despite the training video having the MA upside down and moving around during boot sequence - does this imply a random, per drone sensitivity issue?).
I am stuck in a city for the near future but will do more exhaustive tests when time and tide allows. More exhaustive tests needed.

But now with even just a couple of flights under my belt I have to say : https://binged.it/2w0G8DN

Iain (Newbie)

--

Olmué, Chile
2018-8-20
Use props
MAIRDA
lvl.3
United States

Abu Abú Posted at 2018-8-20 13:16
hi,  

Thank you.  It shows it flies well in the United States, and that it fails to compass calibrate when abroad.  Everything else you did is trying to work around the problem, a problem, mind you, that does not happen when flying here in the US.  

The solution should not be any of the trickery you are trying... or that I did manage when I got it almost randomly going when in the Marshall Islands.  We should not be trying magic tricks, we should be flying it out of the box, like what happens to my Mavic Pro everywhere.  But I bought the Mavic Air because it is more portable, hence easier to take on my carry on... But its failure defeats the purpose of taking it on international trips.

If you are reading this to get an opinion on whether you should buy the Mavic Air and fly it outside of the US, my simple advice is: DON'T BUY IT!  DJI has never attempted to explain ANY of this so far.
2018-8-20
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
Captain
United States

hi,  

Common thread seems (not always) to be Mavic Air being used near or below equator.
As if Firmware or Compass (XYZ magnetic field sensors) have problems determining North vs. South.
2018-8-20
Use props
MAIRDA
lvl.3

HedgeTrimmer Posted at 2018-8-20 19:40
Common thread seems (not always) to be Mavic Air being used near or below equator.
As if Firmware or Compass (XYZ magnetic field sensors) have problems determining North vs. South.

Brazil goes from the equator all the way to parallel 30-something south, which is where I've tried to fly it... that is 30 degrees away from the equator, similar to Florida.  Argentina is even lower than parallel 30 south...
2018-8-21
Use props
MAIRDA
lvl.3

MAIRDA Posted at 2018-8-21 07:43
Brazil goes from the equator all the way to parallel 30-something south, which is where I've tried to fly it... that is 30 degrees away from the equator, similar to Florida.  Argentina is even lower than parallel 30 south...

And once I was able to make those two flights in Marshall Islands, it recognized exactly where I was... it is in the log.  I still think it is something about the protocol of communication between phone and RC, because the phone is on a different GMS system, even when on airplane mode, there is something there...  it would be great if DJI looked into that.  Until then, DON'T BUY A MAVIC AIR.   
2018-8-21
Use props
MAIRDA
lvl.3

Aardvark Posted at 2018-6-21 15:40
My own watch (fairly chunky metal watch and bracelet) has no affect at all on the compass error reading on my P4 unless pressed hard up to either of the legs containing the detectors (dual compass redundancy on P4).

The watch interference is a red herring... Because my MA flies well in the US with the same watch I use everywhere. Forget the watch guys...

I agree that it could be along the lines of something that might influence the electronics of the system, perhaps causing it to produce inaccurate notification advising that calibration is required, as you stated.

I think it is connected to the phone...  I tried finding what is the best setting... I tried:
cell data off
airplane mode on, cell data on
wi-fi always on

What are other settings I could explore?

Meanwhile, DON'T BUY THE MAVIC AIR IF YOU PLAN TO USE IT ABROAD!  
2018-8-21
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
Captain
United States

MAIRDA Posted at 2018-8-21 08:08
The watch interference is a red herring... Because my MA flies well in the US with the same watch I use everywhere. Forget the watch guys...

I agree that it could be along the lines of something that might influence the electronics of the system, perhaps causing it to produce inaccurate notification advising that calibration is required, as you stated.
What are other settings I could explore?

Try turning BlueTooth off?
2018-8-21
Use props
Gary Grasma
New
United States

fans00bd3594 Posted at 2018-3-13 12:57
Sweet! I bet you can get some awesome video in New Zealand. Sorry to hear you are having the same issue. I guess it blows my theory out of the water. However, it affirms that DJI may need to take a look at it sooner rather than later.

What the H*** is DJI trying to do to the U.S. Market???  I have a 7 day old, since recv'd  Mavik Air and have wasted way too much time TRYING to get this thing to calibrate the compass.  DJI needs to ask  the military how they do compass  swings.  I'll guarantee it isn't done like this expensive toy.  Unless a fix is available promptly, this device will stop selling HERE...../b]
2018-8-21
Use props
Abu Abú
Flight distance : 456 ft
Chile

hi,  

Ok guys.
After further testing I will hesitantly say this has solved the issue for me at least. My MA no longer asks for constant compass calibration. And when I did an unforced calibration it worked.  I have flow 10s of flights with a 100 km radius.

The solution, for me at least is
        1. A IMU calibration, along with
        2. powering on the MA while level, right side up and stable and
        3. NOT moving the MA while powered on

I fly in Chile, well South of the equator
2018-8-28
Use props
arg_tigger
lvl.3
Argentina

Guys, after looking all over the place finally found a fix, its the CFixer, find links below. Basically I bought it, ran it twice on the back right corner as this image shows:
And right after I went to calibrate the compass (the screen sensor for the compass went to crazy values after running the CFixer) and done, calibrated on my first try.

CFixer: https://www.amazon.com/gp/produc ... 1_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Mavic Air cable: https://www.amazon.com/gp/produc ... 0_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Looks like my compass got magnetized by one/many of the airport security scanning machines it went through, and depending on how is the Drone wrapped up is how protected it might be from this machines, but well, I suggest buying this thing and having it always with the Drone specially if you are going to travel by air.

Hope this helps many of us with Mavic Airs having this issue.
2018-9-1
Use props
LoonyFlyer
lvl.3
Flight distance : 37864 ft
Peru

hi,  

Your story is very similar to what I am experiencing right now during a trip in Peru.
1. Bought the MA in the USA and flew a dozen times or so with no issues.
2. Traveled to Peru and flew twice without issues.
3. Now I cannot fly anymore while in Peru. Compass error scrolling and the MA refuses to take off.
4. No matter where I position myself the compass calibration doesn't work. It goes through the horizontal 360 spin but NOT the vertical spin.
5. Upon advice from support I did an IMU calibration and mobile app uninstall/re-install. Doesn't help.

DJI: the Mavic Air seems to have serious compass issues and cannot be flown in the Southern hemisphere? Are you working in resolving this? It's quite a problem you know...
2018-9-6
Use props
LoonyFlyer
lvl.3
Flight distance : 37864 ft
United States

I've been in touch with DJI support about the compass calibration issue since 7 September.
As others have noted, I can only fly the MA when I'm able to start it up under no-GPS conditions (i.e. inside a building with metal roof), quickly run out to the place outside I want to launch from, take-off in a hurry w/o GPS signal, hover and wait for GPS lock, set my home point, and then start flying. A whole lot of hassle and obviously loss of opportunities to fly in beautiful places in Peru.
DJI continues to look into the matter but at this time there is no fix available.
I'd recommend anyone who wants to fly their drone abroad to stay away from the Mavic Air. The compass calibration problems are ruining the experience.
2018-9-11
Use props
j0sh112
Thailand

I'm also having this issue. It was often failing in the UK, but now cannot fly it at all since brining to Thailand on a 3 month honeymoon trip.

* Phone: One Plus 6
* DJI GO 4: 4.3.0
* Firmare 01.00.0400
* Precise Fly Safe Database (aircraft) 0.1.00.01.10
* Precise Fly Safe Database (app) 0.1.00.01.09
* Basic Fly Safe Database 0.1.00.01.07

Restored to factory settings via DJI Assistant and made sure firmware was up to date.
Uninstalled and reinstalled app
Also tried an IPhone 6s
Recalibrated IMU
EMF interference is in the green (excellent) rating in the app sensor settings (see screenshot)
I have spent hours trying to recalibrate this in multiple locations, open areas with no large metal objects around. No watches on, nothing in pockets, phone in flight mode and over 1m away from MA.

Find logs link below. Note this is the first attempted flight since being in Thailand, worked last week in UK after several tried calibrating.

I have uploaded my DAT file (but am having issues posting the Google Drive link. It was sent to support in ticket 1356724)

Now I'm carrying around a large paper weight for 3 months, this is incredibly frustrating ((

I've opened a support case with DJI support but no response so far. Thinking of taking into a DJI service store in Bangkok (will they be able to do anything???)

This morning I tried turning on the drone in a shielded case so it couldn't get GPS, which worked and got it spinning up, but the drone was not behaving correctly, about to bump into things etc and I had to grab it quick. Don't want to send it up in this state.

Any other ideas?? Try and get hold of some magnets to degauss??

Thanks,
Josh
2018-9-13
Use props
Picanoc Jack
Captain
Flight distance : 10149541 ft
Canada

While in NS I tried taking off from the public wharfs and always had issues with interference, but if I stepped back on the soil ground everything went back to normal, all that steel inside the concrete and so on were the cause of the interference.
2018-9-14
Use props
arg_tigger
lvl.3
Argentina

LoonyFlyer Posted at 2018-9-11 04:26
I've been in touch with DJI support about the compass calibration issue since 7 September.
As others have noted, I can only fly the MA when I'm able to start it up under no-GPS conditions (i.e. inside a building with metal roof), quickly run out to the place outside I want to launch from, take-off in a hurry w/o GPS signal, hover and wait for GPS lock, set my home point, and then start flying. A whole lot of hassle and obviously loss of opportunities to fly in beautiful places in Peru.
DJI continues to look into the matter but at this time there is no fix available.

Had the same issue, finally found what was the problem and how to solve it, check my post here: https://forum.dji.com/forum.php? ... 778&pid=1545158
2018-9-29
Use props
arg_tigger
lvl.3
Argentina

j0sh112 Posted at 2018-9-13 20:06
I'm also having this issue. It was often failing in the UK, but now cannot fly it at all since brining to Thailand on a 3 month honeymoon trip.

* Phone: One Plus 6

Had the same issue, finally found what was the problem and how to solve it, check my post here: https://forum.dji.com/forum.php? ... 778&pid=1545158
2018-9-29
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules