Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
iPad Mini 4 -- would you buy it new?
2231 16 2018-2-6
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Trip Astute
Second Officer
Flight distance : 109593 ft
  • >>>
United States

Quick question for you guys -- I noticed that Best Buy is running a sale on the iPad Mini 4 ($300 instead of the normal $400 for the wifi-only with 128 GB storage). I've been thinking of getting one to make my flights more enjoyable with the larger screen (over my phone), but I know that the mini 4 is a bit dated in terms of the processor. Despite the fact that it's the perfect size and completely capable at the moment, I am wondering whether you would still purchase one new at this point? I.e., for those of you that use one, would you still purchase one today at $300, or would you opt for a more recent (albeit larger) model?

Also, I know that there are limitations with the wifi-only models, and that a cellular model is preferred. My thought was to use the iPad for stationary home point flights, and revert to my iPhone X when I need the dynamic home point.

Thanks for all your help and advice!
2018-2-6
Use props
Ex Machina
Captain
Flight distance : 1806362 ft
United States

That's cheaper than Apple's refurb pricing, sounds like a good deal to me. I've flown with my iPad Mini 2 before and decided it wasn't any easier to see than my iPhone 7 in sunlight, though I understand the Mini 4 screen is better. Anything larger is going to also require a new mount, and gets away from the small and portable attraction of the Mavic Pro line, but that's me.
2018-2-6
Use props
Virgil Quick
First Officer
Flight distance : 1074104 ft
United States

When you are away from normal wifi connections you can connect your wifi only mini4 to the Internet by using the hotspot feature on a mobile phone.
2018-2-6
Use props
AG0N-Gary
Captain
Flight distance : 700846 ft
United States

Nice price.  I just purchased one 3-4 weeks ago for 399 and it was worth it coming from a mini-2.  The Mini2 was low on memory.  One thing to be aware of, the Mini4 is thinner than the 2 and isn't held as tightly in the controller as the Mini2 was.  It is so loose on my aftermarket 3D-printed, strapped holder that it won't hold at all, so for now, I just fly with it mounted in the controller arms.
2018-2-6
Use props
FatherXmas
Captain
Flight distance : 4058619 ft
  • >>>
United States

Sounds like a good deal, go for it.
2018-2-6
Use props
Hack
lvl.4
United States

Thanks for the heads up!  You just saved me some $$'s!
2018-2-6
Use props
Trip Astute
Second Officer
Flight distance : 109593 ft
  • >>>
United States

So, not to add another layer of consideration, but the iPad (5th generation) is $279 at Target. Now I really can’t decide!
2018-2-6
Use props
Locoman
Second Officer
Flight distance : 748675 ft
United States

I have a WiFi Mini 4, works great. good price, go for it. iPad is to big to fit into the RC jaws, will need some kind of mounting bracket accessory and then the RC screen will be covered up. Wanted to be able to see RC screen so that was my reason to buy the Mini 4
2018-2-7
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13838848 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I would - good deal there!
2018-2-7
Use props
Skymax.
lvl.4
Australia

If you are young and have god eyes the Mini will be fine.
I decided on the iPad AIR2 as obviously it is 9.7" instead of 7.9" and I have weakening vision due to Chemo but also because it has a brighter screen than the Mini.
I got a 64Gb refurbished one on Ebay battery-tested, factory-reset, icloud-unlocked with Warranty and original Apple charger and cable for $USD265.00 delivered in two days, it looks virtually new, a deal considering they are twice that new here.
If bidding make sure you're device comes with the Charger and Cable and freight as this can add a $100 to the cost. I don't want to burn my house down with a $10 charger.

2018-2-15
Use props
Skymax.
lvl.4
Australia

PS: All you lose with no Cellular is auto-updating of maps, reset Homepoint and Activetrack I think, (which you can use Follow Me instead), if you have a phone if it has a connex then use it as a wifi hotspot to update maps on yerr tablet . I faced the cell-no-cell decision myself and decide I didnt need it. If I am flying in a new area I just connex the bird and open the App hit map/satellite and i swipe up the new map images the night before. If you enable "Caching of maps" or whatever it stores them on you're device no Cell Connex needed.
2018-2-15
Use props
Skymax.
lvl.4
Australia

Locoman Posted at 2018-2-7 03:22
I have a WiFi Mini 4, works great. good price, go for it. iPad is to big to fit into the RC jaws, will need some kind of mounting bracket accessory and then the RC screen will be covered up. Wanted to be able to see RC screen so that was my reason to buy the Mini 4
[view_image]

I also wanted to see the RC Screen. You can see the  RC Screen if you buy the PGYTECH tablet holder, just reverse the plate in the RC Handles and it stands back from the RC Screen. Paul Horner YT vid.

2018-2-15
Use props
Mavic Ace
Second Officer
Flight distance : 333976 ft
  • >>>
United States

I picked up an iPad min 4 on Amazon for $300 new in box. 128 Wifi only. Works great. I also for an iPad Air refurbished for $175, 64 gig. .  Both work great with DJI Go 4.
2018-2-19
Use props
dji TO88
Captain
Flight distance : 4678 ft

Canada

I would recommend a iPad mini 4 with with a tablet mount there's a lot of different mounts for sale on Ebay.
2018-2-19
Use props
sxcccy
lvl.1

United Kingdom

Amazon cheapest price339.95
Apple iPad mini 4 (128GB, Wi-Fi, Space Gray)
2018-2-21
Use props
Picanoc Jack
Captain
Flight distance : 10149541 ft
Canada

bought a refurbished Apple Ipad mini 4  from factory direct 350.00 and I am very pleased with it.  now that's Canadian funds.
2018-3-31
Use props
ParkPrince
lvl.1

China

That sounds cool. Actually I think the Mini 4 is the best in the iPad Mini Generations. I like it very much. I bought one half year ago, it is 128 GB but supports both WiFi and mobile cellular.
2018-5-17
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules