Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Anyone else upset USB-C is for data only (no charging)?
1234Next >
7149 142 2018-2-6
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
PUMMY
lvl.4
Flight distance : 376450 ft
United Kingdom

@28wins

Few cases / posts were already raised, and also told "headquarters" will provide an answer.  Seems like a script on the front line support desks and DJI won't release any details to confirm or deny which way this can pan out.
https://forum.dji.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=130913
https://forum.dji.com/forum.php? ... 3&page=1#pid1154931
I understand the frustration, I am one of those guys that wanted USB charging to travel light and standardise on one connector.  You could try and contact some of the current Mavic pro 3rd party charger manufacturers and pitch this as a product for them to push to market, that would at least give you a higher chance of getting a charger (albeit one that still requires battery removal)

2018-2-6
Use props
Bigplumbs
Captain
Flight distance : 620164 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Quite ridiculous returning it just because the USB does not charge it. And your little hissy fit is quite embarrassing in my view
2018-2-6
Use props
28wins
lvl.4

United States

PUMMY Posted at 2018-2-6 14:08
@28wins

Few cases / posts were already raised, and also told "headquarters" will provide an answer.  Seems like a script on the front line support desks and DJI won't release any details to confirm or deny which way this can pan out.

Exactly Pummy. At this point I am not going to bother. I have the P4 for when I want to use that type of set up and the Spark for going light. I would have liked the excellent gimbal cover, RAW stills and extra flight time from the Mavic Air... but love the palm launch and landing, port charging and smaller body of the Spark.

2018-2-6
Use props
Renato Wsk Jr
lvl.1
Brazil

Mavic Air should have been a great drone, but DJI did a big mistake not allowing USB-C PowerDelivery to be used to charge the drone. It is a non-sense as USB_C is the standard for data and power, as it allow you to have only one charger for your smartphone, notebook and drone. It seems DJI didtn get it
2018-2-13
Use props
Flyrmyr
United States

Jeff7577 Posted at 2018-2-6 10:21
So far you are the only one that finds charging over usb useful. It would be a bonus but it’s mostly useless.

You could buy extra battery’s and charge your devices with the battery to USB adapter.

Jeff, buddy, theres a whole alternate thread of people who agree, and thousands of silently angry people.
https://forum.dji.com/thread-130913-1-1.html

It's really sad how many people are dismissing this major concern, or reccomending ridiculous alternatives. This drone was marketed for adventurers, as a smaller, lighter version of the Mavic Pro. People who spend weeks/months backpacking to beautiful locations to zip the drone up for a minute or two, grab their shots and move on. Maybe they even use their phone on the improved wifi range to avoid needing to bring the bulky controller. Now instead of giving an option to charge every night from an outlet or laptop with a tiny usb cable you could literally keep on a keychain, you have to lug something roughly the size of the drone itself, and find a little bag to keep that organized, possibly even a converter for your international plugs. Now all your additional equipment is too big to fit in your dry bag while you bike through the rain across Peru.

To the people calling this a non-issue, this is not the drone for you. Congrats, the Mavic Pro is the perfect drone for you and it just dropped in price! You don't really have a penchant for exploring, you don't need to cut space, you don't get out there, so go buy the other drone! Get a nice hardcase for all your gear, the size of a desktop computer, and keep that stationary in your house so you can fly in your backyard every now and again! Other people have more extreme uses that this product was supposed to satisfy, but it failed. Stop clogging up the thread. Its like telling an NHL player to use any stick because they all feel the same when you play pond hockey twice a year. Not your use case!

@hallmark007 take a look at that link too, where people made purchasing decisions based on misinformation from 3 different DJI Technical Support Reps.
2018-2-26
Use props
Mavic Ace
Second Officer
Flight distance : 333976 ft
  • >>>
United States

Nope. I have 4 batteries.  USB charging is of no use to me.
2018-2-26
Use props
Flyrmyr
United States

Mavic Ace Posted at 2018-2-26 15:05
Nope. I have 4 batteries.  USB charging is of no use to me.

Nice! You must have a really nice big case for all that. Doesn't sound like you're very interested in cutting space to the degree adventure photographers are. Looks like this problem doesn't concern you! Save some money and buy a used Mavic Pro!
(edit: do me a favor actually, and buy mine! https://www.ebay.com/itm/DJI-Mav ... ra-GPS/282862472839)
2018-2-26
Use props
Mavic Ace
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Flyrmyr Posted at 2018-2-26 15:08
Nice! You must have a really nice big case for all that. Doesn't sound like you're very interested in cutting space to the degree adventure photographers are. Looks like this problem doesn't concern you! Save some money and buy a used Mavic Pro!
(edit: do me a favor actually, and buy mine! https://www.ebay.com/itm/DJI-Mavic-Pro-Ready-to-Fly-Combo-4K-Stabilized-Camera-GPS/282862472839)

I have a Mavic Pro Platinum already.  I use a Smatree waterproof hard case. Protects the AC and also carries 3 extra batteries, charger, charging hub and many other necessary accessories. Not much bigger than a lunch box.  
2018-2-26
Use props
Flyrmyr
United States

Mavic Ace Posted at 2018-2-26 15:41
I have a Mavic Pro Platinum already.  I use a Smatree waterproof hard case. Protects the AC and also carries 3 extra batteries, charger, charging hub and many other necessary accessories. Not much bigger than a lunch box.

Nice, enjoy it! My buddy has the same, but it’s way too unwieldy so I bought the much smaller PolarPro Soft Case. Held MP, remote, 2 extra batteries, charger, adapter, and a bunch of little extras. Best to keep everything together, but it was too bulky to bring on hikes or climbs.

In Acadia we left the car to free climb the sea wall. Sick of unzipping and gathering drone and rc from the bag for dangerous climbs, I left it all behind. Really regretted it once we hit the view, so I immediately bought individual cases for the drone, controller, batteries and cables so I could always grab just what I needed and go.

Backpacking across Costa Rica (ya know where you carry all your belongings for 3 weeks on your back) it got to be a huge pain to unzip my necessarily giant Camelbak daypack, then drone and cables bags, remove battery, and set it charging while we had power for an hour like at lunch, or at the hostel overnight, and the dry bag for the rainforest couldn’t hold all the batteries I’d need otherwise. I already had the 20,000mAh battery to charge the GoPro while sitting in my backpack via USB-C in the Jeep exploring the backcountry, you can probably see it’d be a huge benefit to do the same with the Air that’s fits in the zip pocket of my hiking pants.

This is aimed at the market who would sell their Mavic Pro for the convenience of tossing their Mavic Air case in their backcountry ski bag with the avalanche gear, knowing they’re set for a weekend of filming cliff drops with the AI flight modes without the hassle of switching cases and sorting gear/batteries/chargers for every different activity. For the market this drone is literally directly advertised towards, the size reduction is almost small beans compared to cutting the size, weight, and charging process in half or more by replacing the giant brick + two wires with a possibly 2in cable you could tuck inside the OEM Air case. It’s very clearly not marketed for the people who think the "not much bigger than a lunchbox" sized case in their closet is small enough to load in one trip for the glamping trip to fish at their cousins lake house in a few months.
2018-2-26
Use props
Mavic Ace
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Flyrmyr Posted at 2018-2-26 16:46
Nice, enjoy it! My buddy has the same, but it’s way too unwieldy so I bought the much smaller PolarPro Soft Case. Held MP, remote, 2 extra batteries, charger, adapter, and a bunch of little extras. Best to keep everything together, but it was too bulky to bring on hikes or climbs.

In Acadia we left the car to free climb the sea wall. Sick of unzipping and gathering drone and rc from the bag for dangerous climbs, I left it all behind. Really regretted it once we hit the view, so I immediately bought individual cases for the drone, controller, batteries and cables so I could always grab just what I needed and go.

I travel the country in my truck so room and weight aren’t an issue for me. But I see your point.
2018-2-26
Use props
Linefeed
lvl.3
Flight distance : 28005 ft
United States

As far as needing the controller - if you've updated your firmware to the latest version, you don't any more. Double-press the button on hte back of the drone after powering it on and you can fly it with gestures, just like the spark.
2018-2-26
Use props
dji TO88
Captain
Flight distance : 4678 ft

Canada

Get a Spark they have USB charging .
2018-2-26
Use props
$gambino$
First Officer
Flight distance : 1563980 ft
United States

So what, okay Pack Light and then charge One battery when you run out of your batteries... after all that is what you want the USB C charging for correct? you're only going to be able to charge One battery in about an hour's time so what is the point just get an inverter use the regular charger posts like this really crack me up .....you should take it back like you said you were going to
2018-2-26
Use props
Buzzyone
Captain
Flight distance : 4647913 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Nope, I never used it on the Spark it’s pointless.
2018-2-27
Use props
LoSBoL
First Officer
Flight distance : 666483 ft
Netherlands

What is pointless to some, could be a big 'buy or not to buy' descision for someone else.
2018-2-27
Use props
KREMi
Captain
  • >>>
Poland

have to agree with LoSBoL
Spark charging it's battery from a powerbank is a great thing! You don't need to buy extra charging hub - as it can be charged from any source...
So it's really bad they did not let it (or it's blocked) in Air
2018-2-27
Use props
Flyrmyr
United States

@$gambino$ The point is to only bring one battery, and charge it with the powerbank we already have to charge phones/other cams. A car inverter wouldn’t help in that situation. You’re aware that your “solution” to gear taking up too much space was to bring more, right? This isn’t your use case it looks like, so you’re not familiar with the issue. The OP (not me bud) had the motivation to take it back and I applaud that. It’s still technically smaller than my MP so I decided to sell the MP. I just wish the Air was had this key feature. The Spark is still bulky without folding, and the image quality just isn’t there.
2018-2-27
Use props
Hestia
First Officer
Flight distance : 135381 ft
Italy

I don't get people saying they cant charge with the power bank.. I had a USB adapter in my fly more combo to do that

I agree usb-c carging would be nice, but I still love my air regardless
2018-2-27
Use props
LoSBoL
First Officer
Netherlands

Hestia Posted at 2018-2-27 06:45
I don't get people saying they cant charge with the power bank.. I had a USB adapter in my fly more combo to do that

I agree usb-c carging would be nice, but I still love my air regardless

Are you sure? That USB adapter is so you can use a Mavic battery as a power bank, not to charge the Mavic battery itself.
2018-2-27
Use props
MennoH
lvl.4
Flight distance : 75118 ft
Netherlands

charging the Spark while travelling is very nice and helpfull... would be great if the MA gets this feature too.
2018-2-27
Use props
joe.balcius
lvl.1
United States

I get why one could be disappointed in not being able to charge through USB-C.  If that is such an important feature for you, return it.  I expect that you are in the minority though.  Frankly, carrying the car charger and drone isn't really any bulkier than carrying around a 20,000mAh power cell.   Of course, if you don't have a car available to charge it in, that doesn't help.  Of course two batteries and no power pack is an option.  The Fly More combo even came with the adapter to use a battery as a power bank.  Honestly though, the batteries are small enough that carrying an extra or two isn't going to be much different than carrying a powerbank.  For most, the important features over the spark are:  Battery life, 4K camera, range and rear obstacle avoidance.  If you find a USB chargeable drone with the MA features, let us know.  It would be a compelling drone to look at.
2018-2-27
Use props
joe.balcius
lvl.1
United States

Flyrmyr Posted at 2018-2-27 06:39
@$gambino$ The point is to only bring one battery, and charge it with the powerbank we already have to charge phones/other cams. A car inverter wouldn’t help in that situation. You’re aware that your “solution” to gear taking up too much space was to bring more, right? This isn’t your use case it looks like, so you’re not familiar with the issue. The OP (not me bud) had the motivation to take it back and I applaud that. It’s still technically smaller than my MP so I decided to sell the MP. I just wish the Air was had this key feature. The Spark is still bulky without folding, and the image quality just isn’t there.

While being chargeable via USB would be nice, It's not a feature I would use much, It would be for very specific situations that do not fit the way I use my drone.  I'm just not often away from a place where I can't charge in the car/hotel/home.   On the other hand, I'm almost never flying in a place where I don't want fly more than what a single charge allows.  Having to wait an hour between flights seems like a far more annoying issue to me.  I'd rather carry an extra battery or two.  Since I prefer to use the Fly More Combo bag, there really isn't an issue with carrying several more batteries.
2018-2-27
Use props
Hestia
First Officer
Flight distance : 135381 ft
Italy

LoSBoL Posted at 2018-2-27 07:38
Are you sure? That USB adapter is so you can use a Mavic battery as a power bank, not to charge the Mavic battery itself.

You are actually right.. I call my bad on that! I haven't used that accessory and thought you could charge with that :s

2018-2-27
Use props
LoSBoL
First Officer
Netherlands

Hestia Posted at 2018-2-27 23:20
You are actually right.. I call my bad on that! I haven't used that accessory and thought you could charge with that :s

Better to find out now, then when needed. ;)
2018-2-28
Use props
28wins
lvl.4

United States

This got buried. It should stay on the 1st page.

MODS: any updates????

2018-5-30
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
Captain
United States

28wins Posted at 2018-2-6 09:35
You missed the point.

So I will explain. I don't want to have to carry anything but the drone, a power bank and a cable. With that power bank, I can charge phones, lights, the drone and have emergency power on the go.

Inverters do not produce a clean sinusoidal wave and ruin electronics. I am surprised you don't know this.  

A yes, maybe, and no.

Some inverters produce a square wave.  Other inverters produce simulated (or modified) sine wave.  And there are inverters that produce a clean sine wave (get your wallet out).

Generally, the issue with ruining electronics comes from using cheaper inverters that produce a square wave.  Some electronics do have problems with unclean simulated sine waves.

If you have an Oscilloscope (or access to one you are allowed to use), you can check an inverters output to see if it has a clean simulated or clean sine wave, as claimed.

Care should be taken, since you are connecting scope leads up to a source of 120 VAC, and it only takes 0.1 to 0.2 amps flowing through your chest (arm to arm) to put you 6-feet under.  Far less in amps than even a small Inverter puts out.

2018-5-30
Use props
sanuk
Second Officer
Australia

USB-C hardware is normally perfectly capable of putting enough power to charge a battery, whether it be phone, camera etc.

So I wonder if this is a hardware limitation imposed by some circuitry design of DJI, or whether USB charging support in the MA has simply been disabled via software?

If it is the latter, a firmware update might be all that is required to enable USB-C charging.
2018-5-30
Use props
28wins
lvl.4

United States

sanuk Posted at 2018-5-30 20:57
USB-C hardware is normally perfectly capable of putting enough power to charge a battery, whether it be phone, camera etc.

So I wonder if this is a hardware limitation imposed by some circuitry design of DJI, or whether USB charging support in the MA has simply been disabled via software?

That is what we are trying to find out.

DJI have not replied. I hope it is crippled by software and that it can be addressed.

Such a stupid decision....
2018-5-30
Use props
GDL
First Officer
Flight distance : 2768694 ft
Singapore

USB power bank only has 5V output. Spark need 2 hours to charge a battery by the USB port on aircraft. The battery of Air is much bigger than Spark. It will require 3-4 hours to charge a battery by USB. This is not an option I will consider to use. That may be the reason why DJI not provide charge function by USB.
2018-5-30
Use props
davidmartingraf
Captain
Flight distance : 84805085 ft
  • >>>

I think this feature allowing micro USB charging for the Spark makes it appealing as the more mobile drone, being you can charge batteries on the go while still connected to the Spark. In my observation the Spark can charge one connected battery in practically the same time as with using the Fly More Combo included charging plate. I would have liked to see similar charging ability on the Mavic Pro using the dedicated micro USB port that uses to connect via DJI Assistant. Needless to say, I would venture to guess charging with USB-Type C probably yields even faster charging time given it's a much more aggregated connection? Since the Mavic Pro has been released and there have been no firmware updates that incorporate this charging capability, I'm not expecting it will be added to the Mavic Air in a subsequent firmware anytime soon?
2018-5-30
Use props
sanuk
Second Officer
Australia

28wins Posted at 2018-5-30 21:00
That is what we are trying to find out.

DJI have not replied. I hope it is crippled by software and that it can be addressed.

Could be handy.
Strap a small USB powerbank to the top of your MA, fly away with extra range & duration.
2018-5-30
Use props
joe_gadget
Second Officer

Australia

RE: Anyone else upset USB-C is for data only (no charging)?

GDL Posted at 2018-5-30 21:28
USB power bank only has 5V output. Spark need 2 hours to charge a battery by the USB port on aircraft. The battery of Air is much bigger than Spark. It will require 3-4 hours to charge a battery by USB. This is not an option I will consider to use. That may be the reason why DJI not provide charge function by USB.

Agreed.
So let's break it down then. DJI probably didn't provide 5V charging for the air for this reason. No one is going to wait 21/2 - 3 hours to charge their battery so it would just annoy users who would now complain that they missed that great video/shot because the battery was still charging.

Say they put in USB C PD charging. PD power banks are still relatively uncommon so you'd have to buy a new one. And then there would be the extra cost of the PD circuit (maybe) in the air itself.   And  you still have no drone to use during charging.
2018-5-30
Use props
HereForTheBeer
Captain
Flight distance : 5381368 ft
  • >>>
United States

This thread is funny.

First of all, this  omission is huge and annoying.   Is it a deal breaker..? Sort of.. actually, but not entirely.  

I rate the obnoxiousness of the Mavic Air (and the reason I’m holding out a bit longer) as follows:

1: enhanced WiFi sucks in difficult terrain and populated areas.

2. Battery runtime is only rated at 21 minutes, and reality puts it closer to 15 minutes.

3. No USB-C charging.

4. It’s actually loud and annoying sounding, much more so than the MPP.

So as you can see yes, there are things higher on the list for me as to what annoys me.

Is it possible to charge over USB?  Absolutely if DJI allows it.  I have an old Anker powercore bank that outputs 18 watts at 5V per port. And all it would need to do to charge and top the batteries up is utilize the balancing curcuitry to charge individual cells.    It wouldn’t take more than a couple hours to top up.    And DJi could also use QC-3 or USB-PD and get 12V and 30-50 watts easily.  

The spark allows charging over standard USB.. it can be done, proven possible those batteries are same voltages but just lower  capacity..
2018-5-30
Use props
GDL
First Officer
Flight distance : 2768694 ft
Hong Kong

I can charge 3 Spark batteries together with charge hub in an hour. But use USB on Spark need two hours to charge one battery.

I expect it will need much longer time to charge MA battery by the USB port.
2018-5-31
Use props
HereForTheBeer
Captain
Flight distance : 5381368 ft
  • >>>
United States

GDL Posted at 2018-5-31 01:27
I can charge 3 Spark batteries together with charge hub in an hour. But use USB on Spark need two hours to charge one battery.

I expect it will need much longer time to charge MA battery by the USB port.

depends on the charging method and power to be honest.   

and as far as i know, cant charge multiple mavic air or pro batteries at same time, they charge one after the other on the hubs.  and that for me means some days im spending 4+ hours charging my batteries for my mavic pro already ..well technically more because sometimes too hot to start charging for extra half hour or more..  i can imagine a high power USB-PD charger can handle charging a mavic air battery up within 4 and half hours..

the point is, its a nice features even if it takes 4 and half hours to completely charge..easy to get at least 2 hour top up inbetween, say navigating around a new city/area and go out for lunch, nice to plug into a high powered USB power bank and top up that battery for the 2 hours..

2018-5-31
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13838848 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Nah, I use a car charger and have four batteries. USB charging takes ages anyway   
2018-5-31
Use props
28wins
lvl.4

GDL Posted at 2018-5-30 21:28
USB power bank only has 5V output. Spark need 2 hours to charge a battery by the USB port on aircraft. The battery of Air is much bigger than Spark. It will require 3-4 hours to charge a battery by USB. This is not an option I will consider to use. That may be the reason why DJI not provide charge function by USB.

That's you. Others might, evidently.

And I charge my Spark routinely from a power bank in much less time than you mentioned.

Whether it takes too long in your mind is not the point of the idea and this thread.

It's about clever design and giving the user the choice. Having the options to charge is very useful.

The Spark isn't the only device I charge that way while on the road.
Phones, lights, my SONY RX100 V, GoPro etc. can also charge over a USB connection.
I want the same from the Mavic Air before I consider purchasing it again.
2018-5-31
Use props
28wins
lvl.4

joe_gadget Posted at 2018-5-30 22:58
Agreed.
So let's break it down then. DJI probably didn't provide 5V charging for the air for this reason. No one is going to wait 21/2 - 3 hours to charge their battery so it would just annoy users who would now complain that they missed that great video/shot because the battery was still charging.

This is NOT about waiting around.
The ability to charge is valuable because when you are on the road and not using the drone, it can be charged up.
No one is preventing you people from carrying multiple batteries for 2 hours flight sessions.

2018-5-31
Use props
TheCenda
lvl.3
Flight distance : 50463 ft
Czechia

Oh my.
Just return it and stop crying like a broken record. Or the whole point is to have opportunity to argue with others?
If you are not happy, return it. It's really that easy. There won't be any magical fairy that would come to your drone and enable useless USB charging just because of three millions of replies how it is important to YOU.
2018-5-31
Use props
28wins
lvl.4

A CW Posted at 2018-5-31 05:27
Nah, I use a car charger and have four batteries. USB charging takes ages anyway

This is for cases when there is no power outlet or car available.
Even if you carry 4 batteries, on the road, with nothing else, this thread is pointing out that it would be useful to have the option to charge however many batteries, 1 or 10, over the USB port.

Having the option is desirable to many people. Give the user the choice.
You and others in here missing the point don't have to use it.
2018-5-31
Use props
1234Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules