Anyone else upset USB-C is for data only (no charging)?
1234Next >
7334 142 2018-2-6
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
28wins
lvl.3

HereForTheBeer Posted at 2018-5-31 02:05
depends on the charging method and power to be honest.   

and as far as i know, cant charge multiple mavic air or pro batteries at same time, they charge one after the other on the hubs.  and that for me means some days im spending 4+ hours charging my batteries for my mavic pro already ..well technically more because sometimes too hot to start charging for extra half hour or more..  i can imagine a high power USB-PD charger can handle charging a mavic air battery up within 4 and half hours..

Exactly.

Having the option is better than not.
2018-5-31
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13877205 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

There isn’t one to use mate so there is no point - buy a Spark if it’s keeping you up at night LOL
2018-5-31
Use props
28wins
lvl.3

A CW Posted at 2018-5-31 07:27
There isn’t one to use mate so there is no point - buy a Spark if it’s keeping you up at night LOL

We are trying to find out from DJI. Do YOU know for a fact that the USB C circuitry port cannot charge the battery and that isn't just disabled by software?

You didn't read the thread.
I have a Spark and was told the MA would also charge over USB BEFORE ordering one.

2018-5-31
Use props
28wins
lvl.3

TheCenda Posted at 2018-5-31 07:24
Oh my.
Just return it and stop crying like a broken record. Or the whole point is to have opportunity to argue with others?
If you are not happy, return it. It's really that easy. There won't be any magical fairy that would come to your drone and enable useless USB charging just because of three millions of replies how it is important to YOU.

I don't quite understand why people come to this thread with such a title to just write "oh I don't need it", go buy a Spark (I already have one).

Thank you for providing a thorough assessment of my options.

And I am repeating the same thing in a different manner for the benefit of the people whom don't get it and/ or haven't read the thread properly.

Because wanting a better product is crazy talk obviously, right?
:rollseyes:
I'll turn this thread into 50 pages if that's what it takes to get DJI to pay attention.
2018-5-31
Use props
A CW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

There are no options - and I only do thorough assessments of features that actually add value. Why discuss something in such depth that frankly won’t happen on this gen. Do you really think DJI are going to change a thing because you throw your toys out the pram LOL nah, they ain’t mate - appreciate what you have and buy a power bank if you’re that desperate to wait an hour in the field for an extra 15 minutes flight or better still, buy another battery. Alternative solutions tend to work better than rants.  
2018-5-31
Use props
TheCenda
lvl.2
Flight distance : 50463 ft
Czechia

28wins Posted at 2018-5-31 07:35
I don't quite understand why people come to this thread with such a title to just write "oh I don't need it", go buy a Spark (I already have one).

Thank you for providing a thorough assessment of my options.

Oh please, post it twenty more times, that you want something.
You must have had a really hard childhood...
2018-5-31
Use props
28wins
lvl.3

United States

TheCenda Posted at 2018-5-31 11:57

What kind of garbage though process is this?
Isn't the forum full of feedback (criticism, suggestions, demands, questions...) and are you forgettting this is DJI's platform and they read and are active on here?

You'll write anything you cat whispers to you before you admit that there are people whom might want to top off their battery charge while on the go (between flights) using a port that's already built-in???
Are we only supposed to sit in circle and praise the good decisions DJI have made?
This is a glaring ommision and if you don't like my thread and its content, keep away.

Your "contribution" is nil. You are posting off-topic asinine comments that only add noise.

Feel free to start your own thread.

2018-5-31
Use props
28wins
lvl.3

United States

A CW Posted at 2018-5-31 07:46
There are no options - and I only do thorough assessments of features that actually add value. Why discuss something in such depth that frankly won’t happen on this gen. Do you really think DJI are going to change a thing because you throw your toys out the pram LOL nah, they ain’t mate - appreciate what you have and buy a power bank if you’re that desperate to wait an hour in the field for an extra 15 minutes flight or better still, buy another battery. Alternative solutions tend to work better than rants.

You can't follow your own logic so here:

you suggested I return it.
That's an option.
My comment was to imply that I already know what my options are and I didn't need you to suggest anything.The thread is about getting DJI to respond and improve the MA.

Think creatively. Maybe I don't want to carry another battery. Maybe I'd prefer carrying a power bank to top off the charge of the battery in the MA while I am not using it (hello, who said anything about waiting an hour).

Have you ever gone hiking, cycling or gotten away from civilization?
Even if you carry several batteries, what's wrong with being able to charge your devices using a power bank, a solar charger, anything that requires that the port that's already built-in affords you that option.

I don't think you could provide anything that's thorough even if you were getting paid for it.
2018-5-31
Use props
A CW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

28wins Posted at 2018-5-31 13:07
You can't follow your own logic so here:

you suggested I return it.

I don't care you what you want but I know you'll never have a USB charge through the Mavic Air you own so buy a bigger bag and zip it!  
As for providing anything that is thorough - read through the forum over the past year... you may learn something.
2018-5-31
Use props
28wins
lvl.3

United States

A CW Posted at 2018-5-31 13:16
I don't care you what you want but I know you'll never have a USB charge through the Mavic Air you own so buy a bigger bag and zip it!

Intelligent discourse. Bravo.

2018-5-31
Use props
A CW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

TheCenda Posted at 2018-5-31 11:57

He's one of them is he - figures!
2018-5-31
Use props
A CW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

28wins Posted at 2018-5-31 13:17
Intelligent discourse. Bravo.

Shame I can't say the same for your replies but keep trying.
2018-5-31
Use props
28wins
lvl.3

United States

A CW Posted at 2018-5-31 13:20
Shame I can't say the same for your replies but keep trying.

You are back for more?
:facepalm:
Ignorance....

That was sarcasm.
Or you know and you just reached for a mental shortcut and reused something you used to say in high school?

You are incapable of respecting someone else view/ needs because they differ from yours.
And somehow you are right and your opinion is worth something?

If you don't care, why should anyone care about you? Why are you on this thread at all?

Spot the contradictions.
Let me guess, you don't care?

uhmm.. thanks for stopping by.

2018-5-31
Use props
A CW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

28wins Posted at 2018-5-31 13:23
You are back for more?

You are incapable of respecting someone else view/ needs because they differ from yours.

Oh I respect peoples opinions but I don't respect arrogance anymore than I respect being patronised by people with your mentality. I suggest you look in the mirror on that one pal.

With 45,000 points compared to your 300, I think you're the one stopping by sunshine! Hopefully not for too long!
And just to reiterate my point and why I commented on this thread - you will NOT have a USB charge through a type C port on the current Mavic Air. Rather than moan about it and attack anyone who brings that fact to your attention perhaps you should just simply deal it however you see fit in your wisdom.
2018-5-31
Use props
28wins
lvl.3

United States

A CW Posted at 2018-5-31 13:26
Oh I respect peoples opinions but I don't respect arrogance anymore than I respect being patronised by people with your mentality. I suggest you look in the mirror on that one pal.

With 45,000 points compared to your 300, I think you're the one stopping by sunshine! Hopefully not for too long!

"Pal"? "Sunshine"?My mentality? What on earth are you babbling about????

You do not respect different views from yours.
If you already lost the plot, you can attempt to reread what you wrote.

You misunderstood and have demonstrated limited tolerance and reasoning skills.
Still I took the time to explain why using the USB C port to charge the MA makes sense to many owners.
Instead of seeing the light, you buried your head deeper.

Now you are explaining you have "points" (how ridiculous does that sound) and spend a lot of time on the forums. Like it is supposed to be impressive and ... somehow mean anything.

I can't stress this enough, there is nothing wrong with expecting more and better from DJI.
It's okay to suggest things and call them out on bad decisions.

Why NOT charge the battery over USB C?
It's the best port we have ever had and even with a slow charge, the option is valuable. It is better than not having it at all.

2018-5-31
Use props
A CW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

28wins Posted at 2018-5-31 13:33
My mentality? What on earth are you babbling about????

You do not respect different views from yours.

I do respect different views - just not yours - for very obvious reasons now.

No USB charge
Will never happen
Cry somewhere else
Good bye
45,000 points = $250 = four free Mavic Air batteries - more flight time than what you are seeking. 45,000 points = massive contribution to the forum with many posts providing thorough assessments. But obviosuly you only care about your issues rather than helping anyone else as it doesn't mean anything to you. There is always one that pops up on here from time to time and you are it mate!
2018-5-31
Use props
28wins
lvl.3

United States

A CW Posted at 2018-5-31 13:36
I do respect different views - just not yours - for very obvious reasons now.

No USB charge

You are on MY thread. Are you mentally challenged or are you just trolling?

2018-5-31
Use props
A CW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

28wins Posted at 2018-5-31 13:38
You are on MY thread. Are you mentally challenged or are you just trolling?

A thread is a topic you create on DJI's FORUM - you do not control the thread once started. You posted how upset you are about a USB port on a consumer grade drone not charging your battery - cue the violins LOL. Many have explained to you why that is. Your failure to comprehend the options of those with clearly far more knowledge and experience than you is your problem. You come across as very argumentative and intolerant of anyone else who tells you what you don't want to accept. No, I am not mentally challenged or trolling, just putting you back in your pram now I've cleared up the toys you threw out!
2018-5-31
Use props
28wins
lvl.3

United States

A CW Posted at 2018-5-31 13:45
A thread is a topic you crate on DJI's FORUM - you do not control the thread once started. You posted how upset you are about a USB port on a consumer grade drone not charging your battery. Many have explained to your why that is. You failure to comprehend the options of those with clearer far my knowledge and experience than you is your problem. You come across as very argumentative and intolerant of anyone else who tells you what you don't want to accept. No, I am not mentally challenged or trolling, just putting you back in your pram now I've cleared up the toys you threw out!

I thought you were an experienced forum participant.

Do I have to draw you a picture for this also?

Forum etiquette dictates that you don't thread-crap.
The same way you don't barge into a conversation in person to babble something irrelevant and then demand the participants leave the room because you frequent the room all the time. That's crazy.

You see a thread titled: " Anyone else upset USB C is for data only (no charging)", then perhaps you read about how DJI told me that the MA would support it BEFORE I ordered only to find out it didn't.

And your reply is "nah, I use a car charger and carry 4 batteries"?
What does that have to do with wanting the option to utilize the USB C port on MA to charge its battery?

No one explained why. DJI certainly haven't. I want to read their take on this.Everything else so far on this thread has been educated guesses at best and noise at worse.
The asinine posts you and others have put were along the lines of "oh, I don't need that so you don't need it either".

It is unfortunate you are on here.
Why don't you create another thread with a picture of a lake if you have nothing to do?

2018-5-31
Use props
A CW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

28wins Posted at 2018-5-31 13:51
I thought you were an experienced forum participant.

Do I have to draw you a picture for this also?

Please do draw a picture - as you clearly have no photographic content to share as you obviously don't even own a drone.

No drones or flight distance in your profile... I think we have a troll here DJI...

2018-5-31
Use props
28wins
lvl.3

United States

A CW Posted at 2018-5-31 13:58
Please do draw a picture - as you clearly have no photographic content to share as you obviously don't even own a drone.

No drones or flight distance in your profile... I think we have a troll here DJI...

That's great. Next you are going to let me know I don't exist because I don't have a Facebook account.

Please don't reproduce.

2018-5-31
Use props
A CW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

28wins Posted at 2018-5-31 13:59
That's great. Next you are going to let me know I don't exist because I don't have a Facebook account.

Please don't reproduce.

Post some of your footage. Let's see why you need so much battery power out of your drone... I can't wait.
2018-5-31
Use props
A CW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

28wins Posted at 2018-5-31 13:59

Please don't reproduce.

Exactly - there is none! Just as I thought - all mouth!
2018-5-31
Use props
28wins
lvl.3

United States

Edited to remove the photo posted showing the face of our tenatious A CW forum peer. He still didn't get the point and he sees nothing wrong in the dangers of oversharing but it's okay. Have a good life.

2018-5-31
Use props
A CW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

28wins Posted at 2018-5-31 14:15
Ladies and gentlemen,

This is the picture of a winner in life.

Thank you - your own footage though please, not mine.

But I have done very well in life thank you. I have a beautiful wife, a lovely home in London with no mortgage thanks to a successful career in management and a wonderful 18 month old son who I love very much and I have a fantastic family and close group of friends. I enjoy flying drones in my spare time as you can see and thoroughly appreciate photography. If you really zoom in close you'll also see that I collect vintage Rolex watches too - wearing a reference 1530 from 1977 in that picture.

What's your story mate? Actually, save that for now    and just post your footage - can you do that?
2018-5-31
Use props
A CW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

28wins Posted at 2018-5-31 14:15
Edited to remove the photo posted showing the face of our tenatious A CW forum peer. He still didn't get the point and he sees nothing wrong in the dangers of oversharing but it's okay. Have a good life.[view_image]

What dangers? Someone is going to kidnap me and assume my ID for sharing a quick shot on a forum with me stood in the middle of nowhere. Seriously mate, are you for real? It's hardly a 30 minute video in my living room for 50K subs to see is it...

Do you really have no footage to share?
2018-5-31
Use props
joe_gadget
lvl.4

Australia

28wins Posted at 2018-5-31 07:09
This is NOT about waiting around.
The ability to charge is valuable because when you are on the road and not using the drone, it can be charged up.
No one is preventing you people from carrying multiple batteries for 2 hours flight sessions.

For you perhaps. I don;t have a spark and can't attest to the time it takes to top up a battery from a power bank, but this guy did and going from his experience it will take at least 1.5 hours (he started from 28%). So even if there was 'normal' USB charging available on the air it would take at least 2 hours).

Anyway, if this is important to you then you won't find it in this current generation. If it's not there at the beginning then no manufacturer will change the hardware design (it won't be a firmware thing) mid life.

You'll need to find enough like minded people to pester DJI to include it in the next gen air. So rather then creating a moan thread, which will get jumped on (and your responses don't help TBH) maybe create the request thread. If enough people respond positively then maybe DJI will listen and consider including it the next time round.

However I agree it would be nice to have some form of USB PD charging but in the great scheme of things to me I would rather have back some of the flight modes that never made it from the MPP.
2018-5-31
Use props
28wins
lvl.3

United States

joe_gadget Posted at 2018-5-31 15:08
For you perhaps. I don;t have a spark and can't attest to the time it takes to top up a battery from a power bank, but this guy did and going from his experience it will take at least 1.5 hours (he started from 28%). So even if there was 'normal' USB charging available on the air it would take at least 2 hours).

That's about right for the Spark.
I don't as much care how long it would take to charge up the MA from its USB C port.
Be it 2 hours, it's fine.

What makes you think that the current hardware is not designed to deliver a charge?

Finding like minded people is exactly what I was hoping to accomplish with this thread.
I got the sticky crazy people with no reading comprehension instead.

I wouldn't be surprised if annoying people join that thread also with their "oh, I don't need it", "why don't you buy 12 batteries", "I use my car charger", "it will be too slow"....
but I am creating a "request" thread for this now anyway.
Agreed on the flight modes.

Thank you.

Edit: done, link to the request thread https://forum.dji.com/forum.php? ... p;extra=#pid1383438
2018-5-31
Use props
joe_gadget
lvl.4

Australia

28wins Posted at 2018-5-31 15:15
That's about right for the Spark.
I don't as much care how long it would take to charge up the MA from its USB C port.
Be it 2 hours, it's fine.

Why? because it costs money to include the hardware charging circuitry. It makes no financial sense to do this it you weren't going to offer the feature. And also makes no marketing sense to include it and not make a big song and dance about it at launch time.
EDIT   : Saw your edit.Haven't checked out your link but if you want to avoid being jumped on then state your case and not make it emotive. If you start ranting what do you expect will happen? BTW Even with USB charging I would still be carrying batteries into the field. No way I'd be waiting 2-3 hours for a charge using 5V and I really doubt many would either.
2018-5-31
Use props
28wins
lvl.3

United States

joe_gadget Posted at 2018-5-31 15:22
Why? because it costs money to include the hardware charging circuitry. It makes no financial sense to do this it you weren't going to offer the feature. And also makes no marketing sense to include it and not make a big song and dance about it at launch time.

I don't remember them advertising it for the Spark either. People just found out and they/ I were/ was over the moon.
The MA I had, I didn't disablemble to determine whether the circuittry DJI are using allows for this to happen.

DJI are not the only ones providing that convenience. Example my SONY RX100 V offers the same feature. I never even took the charger out of the box.

I want one cable type and the ability to charge all my toys on the road. Not 5 different cables, 3 different brick chargers and 8 batteries for each device I need to use when traveling.

People love clutter and their foam bags full of accessories but this isn't the 1990's and this is not a 8mm camcorder.
Just saw your edit:
Understood. Many like you would carry more than battery but at least you'd have the option to charge them while not flying.
Others, like me, would not. I don't need to fly more than 15-20 mns at a time. I plug in to top off whenever it isn't in the air and this usage pattern works for me as I move around.

2018-5-31
Use props
joe_gadget
lvl.4

Australia

28wins Posted at 2018-5-31 15:33
I don't remember them advertising it for the Spark either. People just found out and they/ I were/ was over the moon.
The MA I had, I didn't disablemble to determine whether the circuittry DJI are using allows for this to happen.

No you need additional circuitry to  convert 5V into more than 12V (or in the case of PD to be  able to tell the charger to switch to PD mode) because you can't feed 5v into the battery. Well actually you can but nothing will happen and it will start draining the battery instead,

Lol the sony battery is a tiny 3.6V so putting in USB charging is a doddle.
2018-5-31
Use props
28wins
lvl.3

United States

joe_gadget Posted at 2018-5-31 15:44
No you need additional circuitry to  convert 5V into more than 12V (or in the case of PD to be  able to tell the charger to switch to PD mode) because you can't feed 5v into the battery. Well actually you can but nothing will happen and it will start draining the battery instead,

Lol the sony battery is a tiny 3.6V so putting in USB charging is a doddle.

The point is that it's intelligent design. Plenty of other cameras with similar "small" batteries do not have that feature.

What happens in the Spark?
From https://www.dji.com/spark/info

INTELLIGENT FLIGHT BATTERY
Capacity        1480 mAh
Voltage        11.4 V
Max Charging Voltage        13.05 V
Battery Type        LiPo 3S
Energy        16.87 Wh
Net Weight        Approx. 0.2 lbs (95 g)
Charging Temperature Range        41° to 104° F (5° to 40° C)

CHARGER
Input        100-240 V; 50/60 Hz; 0.5 A
Output        5 V/3 A; 9 V/2 A; 12 V/1.5 A

2018-5-31
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
First Officer
United States

Not me.  But I will make you a deal.  

I'll claim to be upset about USB-C being data only - If you agree to be upset that I have to carry another charger, even bigger than Mavic Pro's to charge tinier battery used on CrystalSky.

2018-5-31
Use props
28wins
lvl.3

United States

HedgeTrimmer Posted at 2018-5-31 15:54

Not me.  But I will make you a deal.  

You are on. Where shall I go to voice my concern?
You gotta wonder sometimes, what were they thinking!?
Incredible.
2018-5-31
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
First Officer
United States

28wins Posted at 2018-5-31 15:51
The point is that it's intelligent design. Plenty of other cameras with similar "small" batteries do not have that feature.

Capacity        1480 mAh
Voltage        11.4 V

CHARGER
Output        5 V/3 A; 9 V/2 A; 12 V/1.5 A

Guessing they use 12V/1.5A output to charge battery.  

1480 mAh = 1.48 A

2018-5-31
Use props
28wins
lvl.3

United States

HedgeTrimmer Posted at 2018-5-31 16:00
Capacity        1480 mAh
Voltage        11.4 V

And a power bank such as the Anker PowerCore+ 26800 PD offers

1 USB-C (30W) and 2 USB ports (5V/3A each).
with a decent capacity: 26800mAh
From its manual located here: https://d2211byn0pk9fi.cloudfron ... 2_for_reviewing.pdf

Screen Shot 2018-05-31 at 17.17.41.png Screen Shot 2018-05-31 at 17.17.55.png
2018-5-31
Use props
SparksBird
First Officer
Flight distance : 10731690 ft
United States

For me it does not make sense for 2 reasons.  

1.  The amount of time it would take to charge would be a very long time.  With it taking the spark 2 hours I imagine it would take the MP a good 5-6 hours.  
2.  You cannot fly the AC obviously while charging.  Why not just put in a battery that took about an hour or less to charge?
3.  As far as a powerbank is concerned just get one that has an AC port on it and bring your very small battery charger and again be charged in about an hour.  

I would never ever see a need to need to charge very slowly via the usb port.  Just my opinion.  
We are not talking about kids drones here or the small battery of the spark where it makes more sense.  
2018-5-31
Use props
28wins
lvl.3

United States

SparksBird Posted at 2018-5-31 16:28
For me it does not make sense for 2 reasons.  

1.  The amount of time it would take to charge would be a very long time.  With it taking the spark 2 hours I imagine it would take the MP a good 5-6 hours.  

USB-C PD would not be slow. It is capable of delivering up 100W.
http://www.usb.org/developers/powerdelivery/

https://www.snapnator.com/blog/w ... very-and-usb-type-c

Why would I carry the power brick + a bigger/ heavier power bank with an AC outlet when I could carry a USB-C PD power bank to charge the MA over USB-C only???

2018-5-31
Use props
SparksBird
First Officer
Flight distance : 10731690 ft
United States

28wins Posted at 2018-5-31 16:31
USB-C PD would not be slow. It is capable of delivering up 100W.
http://www.usb.org/developers/powerdelivery/

This is not much bigger.  https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07CG8 ... _lig_dp_it&th=1

And with this you can fly while charging your other battery/s.  Again just does not make sense for maybe 2 inches shorter width wise.  And will charge faster than using the USB port on the drone guaranteed.  
2018-5-31
Use props
28wins
lvl.3

United States

SparksBird Posted at 2018-5-31 16:38
This is not much bigger.  https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07CG8XRX8/?coliid=II20Z5P1AN94J&colid=RJR0SQH8JIB2&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it&th=1

And with this you can fly while charging your other battery/s.  Again just does not make sense for maybe 2 inches shorter width wise.  And will charge faster than using the USB port on the drone guaranteed.

This is a different idea.

At first you suggested carrying the Mavic Air power brick + a power bank.
Hence my question above, why when you could do away with the power brick alltogether and charge the battery while it's in the Mavic Air with a power bank.

2018-5-31
Use props
1234Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules