Upgrade to Phantom 4 or not?
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Franko
lvl.3
Flight distance : 23255 ft
United States

I picked up a Christmas gift for my son and I so we can spend more time together. Its a Phantom 3 Professional. Bought the works 3 extra batteries, case, PolarPro filters, composite props, 3 battery multi charger, Samsung Tab A (sucks!) and a pile of other stuff. I'm into it for close to $1500 now. We are both pretty hooked now!!! I really like the features of the 4 Pro. I'm now thinking I should have spent the extra money and bought a 4 or 4 pro. I really like the features of the 4 pro. Little bit better battery time, futher range and loats faster. I am seeing used 3 pros selling very cheap so my investment is pretty much crap. Dont think I'll see more than $600 for everything.I do have the opertunity to pick up a Phantom 4 standard with extra battery, like new condition. About an hour flight time for $500. Should I jump on it or am I going bto wish I waited for a good deal to come up on a 4 Pro? is the pro much of an upgrade other than the updated camera?
Decisions, decisions!!!!!
2018-2-6
Use props
Franko
lvl.3
United States

OK the guy just informed me that he cant find the 2nd battery and has offered the drone for $400. He said he would meet me and let me fly it and also check the battery charges and the amount of flights. He says it has less than 20 flights and just over an hour of flight time. He and his son have a 4 Pro and a Mavic. They are selling this to buy accessories for their other drones. Don't think I can go wrong for $400. I'm going to grab it tomorrow.
2018-2-6
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

is the pro much of an upgrade other than the updated camera?
The regular P4 isn't much of an upgrade over the P3 pro.
The drone is a little more refined but the camera is the same so there's no gain in that department.
You also lose your investment in batteries and have to get new ones.
The P4 pro is a huge upgrade photographically.
The camera is the big feature that makes it worthwhile if you are serious about photography.
2018-2-6
Use props
Hellsgate
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1991555 ft
Australia

I hope all goes well with second hand purchase.
Just a suggestion check it out thoroughly very close visual inspection of the frame batteries all accessories etc.
Check flight logs.
And of course give it a good test flight. Make sure you test sports and atti modes as well.
Do a short video and check the quality.

Good luck
2018-2-6
Use props
Hellsgate
Second Officer
Australia

Im with lab on this one i think if you want an actuall upgrade better to go for p4p
2018-2-6
Use props
djiuser_iGJqCoTNTQSa
lvl.4
United States

$400 is a steal for a P4 Standard. You can turn around and throw it on eBay and make around $100 if you don't like it, after Paypal and eBay fees (around 15%). It'll also let you determine if you want to jump up to the much better P4A or P4P, certainly in terms of image quality.
2018-2-6
Use props
eman_vg
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1015440 ft
United States

Before you buy, check everything out, try running the app and viewing the live feed if possible, If your seller is on board with the idea. Always better to try it out then to just buy it. With that said...if you want a better camera (which is not TOO much of a difference) then hop on board with the Pro. The only other difference is the 5 sensors compared to 2. This is something you have to decide. What do you really want your drone for is the question. Reply because I want to see what you want out of the Phantom.
2018-2-6
Use props
Franko
lvl.3
United States

eman_vg Posted at 2018-2-6 17:50
Before you buy, check everything out, try running the app and viewing the live feed if possible, If your seller is on board with the idea. Always better to try it out then to just buy it. With that said...if you want a better camera (which is not TOO much of a difference) then hop on board with the Pro. The only other difference is the 5 sensors compared to 2. This is something you have to decide. What do you really want your drone for is the question. Reply because I want to see what you want out of the Phantom.

I really want the 4 pro but just cant spent the dough! Wife would kill me. Just spend a bundle on a 3 pro.  If I wasnt so green Id have the 4 pro and a few extra batteries right now. Also this guy is willing to let me look it over, fly it, check flight logs, etc... He sounds like an honest guy. He also has the 4 pro and mavic for he and his young boy. I'm really not into photography but I do like all the features of the 4pro.
2018-2-6
Use props
Hellsgate
Second Officer
Australia

There isnt much difference between p3pro and p4s as far as flying goes and video quality well that is something you need to concider if you want the best quality videos in the phantom series then the p4pro is the choice.
Have a look at the p4s and compare its flight capabilities to your p3pro then make your choice what you want to do.
2018-2-6
Use props
Hellsgate
Second Officer
Australia

We cant tell you which one to buy that is something you need to choose we can only give advice on the diferences between the models.
Going from p3pro to p4a or p4pro is a large step up the ladder as far as video quality and capabilies go.
2018-2-6
Use props
eman_vg
lvl.4
United States

Franko Posted at 2018-2-6 18:06
I really want the 4 pro but just cant spent the dough! Wife would kill me. Just spend a bundle on a 3 pro.  If I wasnt so green Id have the 4 pro and a few extra batteries right now. Also this guy is willing to let me look it over, fly it, check flight logs, etc... He sounds like an honest guy. He also has the 4 pro and mavic for he and his young boy. I'm really not into photography but I do like all the features of the 4pro.

If your not into photography at a pro level, don't get the P4P. It features high tech expensive stuff, and the features won't intrigue you unless you NEED them. It will drain the bank too. So I would just take a few flight tests with your future drone, see how it is, and enjoy flying with your kid!

Fly Safe!
2018-2-6
Use props
Franko
lvl.3
United States

eman_vg Posted at 2018-2-6 18:17
If your not into photography at a pro level, don't get the P4P. It features high tech expensive stuff, and the features won't intrigue you unless you NEED them. It will drain the bank too. So I would just take a few flight tests with your future drone, see how it is, and enjoy flying with your kid!

Fly Safe!

Thank, I really like the extra range, speed, few minutes of battery time, internal gimbal, and all the extra features over the 3 pro. Planning on meeting with the guy tomorrow. I'll update when I get home.
2018-2-6
Use props
eman_vg
lvl.4
United States

Franko Posted at 2018-2-6 18:24
Thank, I really like the extra range, speed, few minutes of battery time, internal gimbal, and all the extra features over the 3 pro. Planning on meeting with the guy tomorrow. I'll update when I get home.

Those Features are in the 4 too! You are getting an excellent deal out of the P4. Why's it so cheap??
2018-2-6
Use props
Franko
lvl.3
United States

eman_vg Posted at 2018-2-6 18:29
Those Features are in the 4 too! You are getting an excellent deal out of the P4. Why's it so cheap??

Sorry meant to say that. Been on google all evening to see features. Yes the 4 does. The 4 pro has quite a bit more and a better camera.
Not sure why so cheap. I spoke with him today and he sounds legit. While searching google i also found the p4 has come down in price quite a bit. Looks like as little as $740 on some sites. Looks like the 4 is not offered on the DJI site anymore. Just the 4 pro and 4 advanced. Also looks like the 3 only comes in the SE model now.
2018-2-6
Use props
fansb1fe1104
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3372566 ft
United States

Franko Posted at 2018-2-6 20:09
Sorry meant to say that. Been on google all evening to see features. Yes the 4 does. The 4 pro has quite a bit more and a better camera.
Not sure why so cheap. I spoke with him today and he sounds legit. While searching google i also found the p4 has come down in price quite a bit. Looks like as little as $740 on some sites. Looks like the 4 is not offered on the DJI site anymore. Just the 4 pro and 4 advanced. Also looks like the 3 only comes in the SE model now.

From what I have read on here and seen videos on youtube, many people claim the P3P gets better range compared to the P4. I have a P4 and in semi-populated areas with interference the furthest I have gotten is about a little over 2 miles, which is just fine for me.  One advantage a P4 has over the P3 is obstacle avoidance. Also I believe the P3P doesn't have active track mode like the P4, only GPS follow me mode. One final thought about the camera on the P4, it may be the same camera as the P3 but I have also read that the P4 doesn't have the Jello effect which the P3P supposedly does.
2018-2-6
Use props
Franko
lvl.3
United States

OK here we go. I met the guy early this morning after I dropped my son off at school. He opened the box and wow! it looks brand new. The 2nd set of props are still sealed in plastic, charger still has plastic Hooked it up and battery says charged 18 times. We met in a busy area so I did not fly it, just started it up and came off the ground a few feet. (Dunkin Donuts parking lot) He had everything but the gimbal clamp, USB OTG cable and manuals. I did not check the flight log as it was freezing out and couldnt figure it out. Needless to say I went ahead and bought the drone. The guy threw in a bonus. An Apple ipad Air mini for and extra $75! (Goodbye Samsung Tab A!!!)
I will go through everything tonight but there's no doubt he did not fly this much and I'm thinking its been sitting a while because it needs a firmware update. I'll do that tonight.
$475.00 total with ipad! I could not pass that up.
I'll keep you guys posted whether there are any issues or not and how she flys.
2018-2-7
Use props
solentlife
First Officer
Flight distance : 1087530 ft
Latvia

The only downside as I see it ... incompatible batterys ...

If you and your son had P3 both ---- swapping batts would save a *****load of money.

When I had my P3S go swimming ... I looked at getting a P4 ... but in the end I am not a Pro Photography person ... I don't fly in areas needed CA .... and I had all the gear from the P3S there ... so I bought a P3Pro .... best thing I did.

AND I paid more than your $475 !! That to me over here in EU is a steal at that price. Even I would have been seriously tempted.

Nigel
2018-2-7
Use props
Franko
lvl.3
United States

solentlife Posted at 2018-2-7 09:36
The only downside as I see it ... incompatible batterys ...

If you and your son had P3 both ---- swapping batts would save a *****load of money.

Yes I had purchased 3 extra batteries because I got a deal on 3. At the time I thought the 3 Pro was what I would be keeping. I have 4 batteries for it. 2 have been charged once, one has been charged 3 times and the other has been charged 8 times o they are all brand new. I wish they would all be compatible as I will now be looking for 2 more phantom 4 batteries. I'd be happy with a couple used ones. $150 US each is insane. Cost me $70 for the battery in my truck!!! lol
2018-2-7
Use props
Franko
lvl.3
United States

Dirty Bird Posted at 2018-2-7 08:09
I would keep the P3 Pro.  Pickup a P3SE new & both of you will have drones to fly plus batteries to share.  You don't need a super expensive model to record interesting video.  Below is a 1080 video from an inexpensive P3 Standard...

https://youtu.be/K-Ct5V2YK1M

That is gorgeous!!! Looks like you went a long, long way out!!! Were you using range extenders? I really wasnt looking for better camera quality. I like the options it has. More speed, further distance, tap fly, obstical  avoidance, etc... I believe the cameras are pretty much the same. on the P3P and P4
2018-2-7
Use props
Yunior
lvl.2
Flight distance : 95 ft
  • >>>
United States

I would definitely spend the few extra hundred bucks and go for the P4P. It is a huge improvement compared to regular P4. Trust me, it is not worth getting the P4. If you think this is something you will not keep using in the future or if you think it's something you just want to use as a toy, then go ahead and get the P4 or even the Mavic series. But if you are a bit serious into this hobby and want the best performance, definitely get the P4P.
2018-2-7
Use props
Franko
lvl.3
United States

Yunior Posted at 2018-2-7 10:16
I would definitely spend the few extra hundred bucks and go for the P4P. It is a huge improvement compared to regular P4. Trust me, it is not worth getting the P4. If you think this is something you will not keep using in the future or if you think it's something you just want to use as a toy, then go ahead and get the P4 or even the Mavic series. But if you are a bit serious into this hobby and want the best performance, definitely get the P4P.

I'm honestly very green. Just got into it over Christmas. I went ahead and bought the P4 because the price was right. Right now I'm just playing and learning how to fly. They keep threatening that they will be releasing the P5 soon. I'm sure that will have even more to offer. Possibly even a camera with zoom?/
2018-2-7
Use props
Aardvark
First Officer
Flight distance : 384432 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Franko Posted at 2018-2-7 10:38
I'm honestly very green. Just got into it over Christmas. I went ahead and bought the P4 because the price was right. Right now I'm just playing and learning how to fly. They keep threatening that they will be releasing the P5 soon. I'm sure that will have even more to offer. Possibly even a camera with zoom?/

"Possibly even a camera with zoom?"

There is a digital zoom function in DJI Go 4, which works when recording video, and supports up to 2.7k resolution (But not 4k unfortunately). I realise it's not as good as optical zoom, but handy at times for framing a live shot.

Spreading two fingers out on screen zooms in, and pinching two fingers on screen zooms back out again.
2018-2-7
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

Franko Posted at 2018-2-7 07:26
OK here we go. I met the guy early this morning after I dropped my son off at school. He opened the box and wow! it looks brand new. The 2nd set of props are still sealed in plastic, charger still has plastic Hooked it up and battery says charged 18 times. We met in a busy area so I did not fly it, just started it up and came off the ground a few feet. (Dunkin Donuts parking lot) He had everything but the gimbal clamp, USB OTG cable and manuals. I did not check the flight log as it was freezing out and couldnt figure it out. Needless to say I went ahead and bought the drone. The guy threw in a bonus. An Apple ipad Air mini for and extra $75! (Goodbye Samsung Tab A!!!)
I will go through everything tonight but there's no doubt he did not fly this much and I'm thinking its been sitting a while because it needs a firmware update. I'll do that tonight.
$475.00 total with ipad! I could not pass that up.

It sounds like a good deal. Congratulations!
2018-2-7
Use props
Siambuddhas Group
lvl.4
Flight distance : 116926 ft
Singapore

Nice..with that offer no 1 can withstands... Love to get 1 more soon..till they can really firm their fw
2018-2-8
Use props
Franko
lvl.3
United States

Dirty Bird Posted at 2018-2-7 19:42
Thanks.  The round trip distance for that flight was 40,813'.  The bird is a stock P3 Standard.  I was able to achieve the long range by using an app called Litchi.  The software allows you to program autonomous missions that the aircraft executes without the need for continuous contact with the controller.  With Litchi & careful preparation you can do some pretty incredible stuff!  Especially if you have multiple aircraft.

https://youtu.be/HGyRowC9Mm4

That is amazing, absolutely amazing!!! Looks like you have some serious time into this drone thing! Are you flying both drones? Are you using some type of active track? Man this stuff is incredible!
2018-2-8
Use props
Franko
lvl.3
United States

Dirty Bird Posted at 2018-2-8 07:54
I am handling both drones as far as prepping & launching.  They are running independent Litchi programs & running the mission(s) on there own once the flight initiates.   No active track is involved.  The drones are completely unaware of each other, but it does show how accurately they execute a program.

I'm going to have to hear more about this Litchi thing!!!
2018-2-8
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules