Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
DJI Goggles - Video lag and Video Quality
9405 25 2018-2-6
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fansfdd757de
lvl.1
United States

I've owned the Phantom 4 pro for sometime now and just purchased the DJI goggles.   I first tried the goggles alone with the mini usb connection and saw very significant video lag issues although the quality of the image was very good.  I also tried the gimbal control with head movements but the lag made it almost impossible to use.   I next purchased the HDMI module to see if this would improve the situation and it did connect with the goggles immediately but with several display issues.   First, I'm see video lag and some partial green screen flashes on the ipad while in the goggles if nothing is moving the image is crisp and clear but any movement of the camera creates visual streaks and some breakup in the video signal.  This would be unusable.   I'm at a loss as how to proceed.   Both my controller, aircraft, and goggles appear to be at the current release level.   Any advice?   Do I have a bad set of goggles?
2018-2-6
Use props
fansfdd757de
lvl.1
United States

As a quick footnote I did contact support and while they had me refresh the firmware on both the goggles and controller the problems as described persist.   If anyone has other ideas that would be great, otherwise I will try contacting support again tomorrow.
2018-2-6
Use props
Bashy
First Officer
Flight distance : 2354357 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I have the goggles and the p4p, i do not see these issues so i am going to say its a possible firmware issue, what firmware is the p4p on?
2018-2-6
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

Hi there, just to verify, the video lag only appears when connected Goggles, right? How long does the lag persist? How about connecting a recommended mobile device? Please try to switch the liveview formate settings to see whether it helps.
2018-2-7
Use props
fansfdd757de
lvl.1
United States

DJI Susan Posted at 2018-2-7 23:23
Hi there, just to verify, the video lag only appears when connected Goggles, right? How long does the lag persist? How about connecting a recommended mobile device? Please try to switch the liveview formate settings to see whether it helps.

Yes video lag only exists when connected to goggles via micro usb.   When connected via HDMI I get artifacts from any motion the camera sees.   As a footnote I also just purchased a Nvida Shield K1 and with this device and the mirroring capability through HDMI everything works perfectly.   Really sad that the goggles didn’t work properly with micro usb to enable head motion use of the gimble.   Where is the setting for the image transmission method?
2018-2-8
Use props
metallica
lvl.3
Flight distance : 3551880 ft
Brazil

Hi, the same thing here! i have a p4p+ with the last goggles firmware installed. Terrible  lag video in all situations!
2018-2-10
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

fansfdd757de Posted at 2018-2-8 18:55
Yes video lag only exists when connected to goggles via micro usb.   When connected via HDMI I get artifacts from any motion the camera sees.   As a footnote I also just purchased a Nvida Shield K1 and with this device and the mirroring capability through HDMI everything works perfectly.   Really sad that the goggles didn’t work properly with micro usb to enable head motion use of the gimble.   Where is the setting for the image transmission method?

Thanks for getting back to us. Make sure all units connected well, click Toolbox on the Goggles>HD icon>Liveview Formate Setting>Smooth Mode/HD Mode/Normal Mode to check whether there is any difference.
2018-2-23
Use props
fansfdd757de
lvl.1
United States

DJI Susan Posted at 2018-2-23 05:20
Thanks for getting back to us. Make sure all units connected well, click Toolbox on the Goggles>HD icon>Liveview Formate Setting>Smooth Mode/HD Mode/Normal Mode to check whether there is any difference.

I did change the setting to normal and the video lag all but disappeared.   What I found interesting is that if I changed the mode back to HD or Smooth, over a short period of time the video lag increased and even if I changed the mode back to normal, the video lag remained unless I turned off the googles and then turned them back on.      
2018-3-17
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

fansfdd757de Posted at 2018-3-17 09:18
I did change the setting to normal and the video lag all but disappeared.   What I found interesting is that if I changed the mode back to HD or Smooth, over a short period of time the video lag increased and even if I changed the mode back to normal, the video lag remained unless I turned off the googles and then turned them back on.

Thanks for keeping us updated. This has been reported to our engineers and they will optimize this in the next release version. Thanks for your patience.
2018-3-20
Use props
Blind B
lvl.1
Flight distance : 109649 ft

I am having a similar issue. I have the p4p and just purchased the goggles. I am getting a 3 second latency when attempting to shoot in 4k and livestreaming in normal mode at 720p. The weird thing is that when I save the settings and reboot the goggles they initially run with a tiny amount of latency but then this increases to 3 seconds over about half a minute. The controller, p4p and goggles are all running the latest firmware. Any advice is appreciated.
2018-7-3
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

What you are seeing is in the nature of the MPEG method of video encoding. If the device handling the decoding is not able to keep up with the stream, it gradually falls behind, this is the lag. The only thing is to reduce the number of processes the receiving device has to handle to help it keep up. With a phone or tablet, that is not hard to do but with goggles, much harder, as they usually only have one task. The good news is that if you are recording video, the image being recorded to the SD card in the aircraft will be fine, it is just the FPV feed that has the problem.
2018-7-3
Use props
Union Bell
lvl.2
Belarus

I have the same issue that people here described and also the latest firmware updates are installed everywhere. Support also couldn't help with anything. Has anyone solved this problem completely and what latency have you achived so far?
2018-7-13
Use props
Mark Weiss
lvl.4
United States

A 3 second lag is dangerous. That could very well cause a crash because the drone is 3 seconds closer to a collision than it appears and the pilot will not be aware the AC is about to hit something.
2018-7-21
Use props
muellerAviation
lvl.2
Flight distance : 263245 ft
Australia

I have the same problem with my P4 PRO but when I use the DJI goggles with the Mavic Pro using wireless between the goggles and controller, there is no lag at all. Go figure. The lag gets worse as mentioned by others and becomes unflyable. To repeat, the mavic can but the P4 can't. Hope someone can help.
2018-7-27
Use props
fansbcd99b60
New
United States

I just purchased the Goggles for use with my P4P and have the same latency issue - they are unusable since I will likely crash attempting to fly with the 3 second lag I'm seeing. I'll be asking for a refund if someone here or support can't help.
2018-8-26
Use props
Bashy
First Officer
Flight distance : 2354357 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Have you checked the goggles dont need a new firmware?
2018-8-26
Use props
fansa777b869
New
United States

I'm having the same problems with my P4Pro---DJI goggles..I'm having a 4 to 5 second delay...I've read the other posts...anyone get a solution yet?..
2019-3-21
Use props
The Upper Tech
lvl.2
Flight distance : 636004 ft
United States

I recently bought a refurbished pair from DJI to use with my Spark.  I've only been able to use them a few times and each time has been laggy, with the signal dropping out frequently.  The first couple times were near my house, so I assumed it was from wifi interference or something like that, though I never experience that using my phone.  Today, however, I was out in the country away from any type of interference.  I continued to see the same latency and signal loss issues as before.  Most likely going to return them soon.  
2019-4-1
Use props
The Upper Tech
lvl.2
Flight distance : 636004 ft
United States

Update:

Probably won't help much unless you have a Spark, but I connected my remote to phone via WiFi then connected the remote to the Goggles, which disconnects the phone.  Zero lag or video dropout.

DJI Go 4 app > Wifi ON > remote ON > Spark ON > connect usb cable to remote and to Goggles > turn ON Goggles = Profit!
2019-4-1
Use props
phantomNOGO
lvl.1
United States

I have a brand new set of DJI Goggles  RE ($549) and a brand new Phantom 4 pro v 2.0 ($1800) and the connection is unusable. Why did I spend all this money for a product that doesnt even work? I also have a 2016 refurbished Mavic Pro and it works flawlessly with no tearing or lag. What did I buy this expensive plastic toy if it doesnt even do what it is advertised to do?
They are very proud of OCCUSYNC - ROFL
2019-5-20
Use props
Ranger Ron
lvl.1
Flight distance : 8271 ft
United States

P4P+;  Just encountered same latency (3/4) sec while flying with goggles at same field location that I flew last week with no problem.   Have latest firmware in all (AC, RC & Goggles).  Rebooted goggles, worked for first few minutes then repeated dangerous latency. Came home and bench tested goggles in normal & smooth modes while recording at 4k/30p but couldn't repeat problem.  Remote control unit worked fine with no latency at all times.
2019-6-23
Use props
Matty457
lvl.2
Flight distance : 4860725 ft
  • >>>

Just had first flight with goggles connected to inspire 2 via USB cable (OTG doesn’t seem to work with inspire 2).  
Had the same lag issue up to 3 seconds then ok after goggles turned on and off then lag built up again.

Is this standard behaviour for goggles over USB with the current firmware?
2019-9-3
Use props
DaveTatem
lvl.1
Flight distance : 28379 ft
United States

I just purchased these goggles and have the same issue with my Phantom 4 pro +
they are unusable. Is there a firmware update or any hope for a fix or do i have to return them? The DJI assistant says there is an error downloading firmware list so I am assuming these have been abandoned in terms of support?
2020-1-15
Use props
Kzuber
lvl.1
United States

Union Bell Posted at 2018-7-13 09:45
I have the same issue that people here described and also the latest firmware updates are installed everywhere. Support also couldn't help with anything. Has anyone solved this problem completely and what latency have you achived so far?

Folks,

I finally found a solution for this but it was expensive and probably not available to everyone.   First, I purchased an NVidia Tablet that is no longer being manufactured but contained a HDMI output that would mirror for the goggles exactly what the tablet was seeing.   In essence this tablet replaced the ipad I was previously using with the controller.   Zero lag, superior image quality, but in this mode you cannot use any of the goggle controls (which I didn’t really find very helpful anyway).
2020-1-15
Use props
Kzuber
lvl.1
United States

DaveTatem Posted at 1-15 09:18
I just purchased these goggles and have the same issue with my Phantom 4 pro +
they are unusable. Is there a firmware update or any hope for a fix or do i have to return them? The DJI assistant says there is an error downloading firmware list so I am assuming these have been abandoned in terms of support?

Dave,

I believe I tried just about everything and finally resorted to a method I saw others using on YouTube.   I purchased and NVidia Tablet that I don’t believe is being manufactured anymore that contains a HDMI output that has a mirror mode that sends the goggles exactly what the tablet is seeing.   Zero lag, tremendous video quality.    I found the Nvidia table on eBay for approximately $300 dollars and it also solved some other problems I was having with my IPad that I was previously using with the controller.
2020-1-15
Use props
djiuser_YCJSCwcnkGoC
lvl.1

Italy

The Upper Tech Posted at 2019-4-1 18:02
Update:

Probably won't help much unless you have a Spark, but I connected my remote to phone via WiFi then connected the remote to the Goggles, which disconnects the phone.  Zero lag or video dropout.

Hi , i have a spark and goggles RE, the video laggs a lot after 100 Mt, how did you solve the problem? Many thanks
2023-3-23
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules