Processor Chip Critically Overheated
13516 23 2018-2-6
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Tsymyn
lvl.1

United States

Our Phantom 4 just started having video dropouts, and then the message "Processor Chip Critically Overheated, the Aircraft Will Power Off in 30 Seconds."  It did not, we were able to fly it back and land it.  It was about 56F outside at the time, so it shouldn't have been overheating.  I haven't been able to find any info on this error.  There was also a sporadic video encoder error prior to this.  Anyone have an idea what's going on here?
2018-2-6
Use props
Tsymyn
lvl.1

United States

In my case it appears to have been a bad firmware.  Refreshing and then updating in Assistant 2 fixed the problem.
2018-2-7
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

Hey Tsymyn, it looks like the misinformation. Glad to know it has been fixed now. Thanks for sharing!
2018-2-8
Use props
s2thauie
lvl.1
Flight distance : 228438 ft
Canada

My Phantom has the same issue - after trying to install the latest firmware my drone now shows the message "Processor chip critically overheated. The aircraft will power off in 30 seconds"  - it does not power down. Also the gimble is totally disconnected - none of the camera functions are accessible in the app. The LED above the micro SD slot is flashing RED RED GREEN GREEN over and over.

I have tried to update the software 30 times through the app and with Assistant 2 and it fails at the exact same place on both platforms.

Any help would be great - the drone is useless now.

2018-2-11
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

Thankfully, it didn't land, without your input.

Glad you fixed it...

RedHotPoker
2018-2-11
Use props
Tsymyn
lvl.1

United States

s2thauie Posted at 2018-2-11 16:54
My Phantom has the same issue - after trying to install the latest firmware my drone now shows the message "Processor chip critically overheated. The aircraft will power off in 30 seconds"  - it does not power down. Also the gimble is totally disconnected - none of the camera functions are accessible in the app. The LED above the micro SD slot is flashing RED RED GREEN GREEN over and over.

I have tried to update the software 30 times through the app and with Assistant 2 and it fails at the exact same place on both platforms.

Assistant 2 did it for me.  Refresh on the current firmware (it was one behind what's current as of 2/8), followed by update to the next firmware.  I used a Windows 10 desktop if it makes any difference - I don't trust my Macs to update firmware on things, generally.  You never know what "tweak" macOS has on a given I/O port; they like to make things slightly non-standard.  (Non-standard NFC for Apple Pay, non-standard WiFi Direct for Airdrop, Thunderbolt ports that bundle Displayport in non-standard ways, or not at all in the case of Thunderbolt 3 on my iMacs).  Are you using the included USB cables, and are they known to be good?
2018-2-11
Use props
Tsymyn
lvl.1

United States

RedHotPoker Posted at 2018-2-11 19:36
Thankfully, it didn't land, without your input.

Glad you fixed it...

Indeed!  A controlled landing is always better than an automated one on an aircraft with only forward collision avoidance and which may or may not be able to tell water from ground.
2018-2-11
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

Tsymyn Posted at 2018-2-11 21:00
Indeed!  A controlled landing is always better than an automated one on an aircraft with only forward collision avoidance and which may or may not be able to tell water from ground.

I tried the Auto Land feature once, and when the Phantom 3 Pro touched down, it bounced back up about a foot. I never allowed that to happen again.

Always done manual landingj after that.

I rarely fly over bodies of water, except once high above the North Sakatchewan River, which runs through the centre of the city.

RedHotPoker
2018-2-11
Use props
s2thauie
lvl.1
Flight distance : 228438 ft
Canada

Tsymyn Posted at 2018-2-11 20:57
Assistant 2 did it for me.  Refresh on the current firmware (it was one behind what's current as of 2/8), followed by update to the next firmware.  I used a Windows 10 desktop if it makes any difference - I don't trust my Macs to update firmware on things, generally.  You never know what "tweak" macOS has on a given I/O port; they like to make things slightly non-standard.  (Non-standard NFC for Apple Pay, non-standard WiFi Direct for Airdrop, Thunderbolt ports that bundle Displayport in non-standard ways, or not at all in the case of Thunderbolt 3 on my iMacs).  Are you using the included USB cables, and are they known to be good?

I'm using a Mac, no other option in my house unfortunately. I am using the cables that the drone came with - not sure if they are good or not.  Used a thunderbolt cable from my ipad first with the adapter for the drone, then used the supplied USB cable to try assistant 2 on my mac.

Maybe I'm a little slow, but I didn't see how to get older frimware on assistant 2 - it just showed me two versions, both which it said were current.
2018-2-13
Use props
Zero06
New

Colombia

poseo el mismo problema y no e podido solucionarlo ni con el asistente 2, ya que no logra compretar la actualizacion, en el 55% se reinicia el phanton y se cancela la actuaizacion, ya lo intente mas de 10 veces, alguien me podría ayudar...Cual es la solución..
2018-4-27
Use props
Icer
lvl.4
Flight distance : 431079 ft
Latvia

I solve my problem with camera chip overheating, by applying new thermal grease on chip.
2018-4-27
Use props
kentiler
lvl.2
Flight distance : 172726 ft
  • >>>
United States

I have the same issue - Processor Chip Critically Overheated.  The Aircraft will power off in 30 seconds.  It doesn't.  I'm trying to do the firmware upgrade in DJI Assistant 2, but that fails at 55% and gives Error Code 0x022403.  Please restart the device and retry.  I've done that a half dozen times and it's still not working!

Any ideas?

--Kent
2018-4-28
Use props
fans1aefb7ea
lvl.1
Netherlands

kentiler Posted at 2018-4-28 19:39
I have the same issue - Processor Chip Critically Overheated.  The Aircraft will power off in 30 seconds.  It doesn't.  I'm trying to do the firmware upgrade in DJI Assistant 2, but that fails at 55% and gives Error Code 0x022403.  Please restart the device and retry.  I've done that a half dozen times and it's still not working!

Any ideas?

so.. did you find any solution?
because I just got the same problem and update stops at 55% and the drone restarts.
2019-3-22
Use props
tampo
New
Flight distance : 39892 ft
Philippines

good day i have a same issue processor chip critically overheated pls help me this issue
2019-4-18
Use props
Manxmann
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1178793 ft
Australia

I bet when the message "Critical Overheat" appears,  rectal contractions follow immediately ?  Hahaha   At least you managed to get the thing home safely.  
2019-4-19
Use props
djiuser_vN0DbAapKYv1
lvl.2
Flight distance : 16 ft
  • >>>
Lebanon

Icer Posted at 2018-4-27 05:22
I solve my problem with camera chip overheating, by applying new thermal grease on chip. [view_image]

This removed most of the errors, thank you!
Still unable to upgrade firmware though.
2019-7-3
Use props
fans35da472e
lvl.1

United States

Zero06 Posted at 2018-4-27 04:26
poseo el mismo problema y no e podido solucionarlo ni con el asistente 2, ya que no logra compretar la actualizacion, en el 55% se reinicia el phanton y se cancela la actuaizacion, ya lo intente mas de 10 veces, alguien me podría ayudar...Cual es la solución..[view_image]
Hi I'm having this exact same issue with my p4, did you ever find a solution?
2020-4-24
Use props
Pratap singh
New

India

Aircraft processor overheated. Power off aircraft. Allow aircraft to cool down before use
2020-5-18
Use props
alexandergavrai
New

U.S. Virgin Islands

2020-8-5
Use props
alexandergavrai
New

U.S. Virgin Islands

Hi all,

I've been looking for solutions for a similar problem all over the internet.

When I power on my drone it connects properly to my remote control and I can see live video feed for a second. Then, the video feed disappears as if the drone were offline or it becomes very pixelated. During that time the camera is looking straight forward but it's not responding to the remote control. The fan spins for 2-3 sec, then stops, then spins again. At some point the fan starts spinning constantly and the camera can be moved by the remote control. However, there is no video feed and the recording button is not working. Sometimes at this point I would also get the "processor is critically overheated" message even though the fan seems to be working properly.

The drone has had a crash in the past but it continued working after that for weeks. My suspicion was also that maybe some sand had entered, thus is opened the bottom part and cleaned the sand I saw which wasn't much but I hoped it would change things. DJI support suggested that I should update the firmware with DJI Assistant 2 which I did successfully, however the issue persists.

Any further suggestions what I shall do to save this drone are highly appreciated.
2020-8-5
Use props
Elis
lvl.1
Flight distance : 361073 ft
Turkey

s2thauie Posted at 2018-2-11 16:54

I have tried to update the software 30 times through the app and with Assistant 2 and it fails at the exact same place on both platforms.

Hey, this is problem what i have exactly the same. How could you solve this problem at the end. Please reply, i couldnt find any solution since over 3 months.
2020-9-20
Use props
Kirk R
lvl.1
United States

I took my Phantom 4 out of storage a few days ago and when I charged up the batteries and powered up the drone I got the "Processor chip critically overheated" message in the DJI Go 4 app.

When I attempt to update the firmware to the latest version available in DJI Assistant 2 (V02.00.0810) the update always stops at 36% and when I attempt to refresh the current version (V02.00.0700) the update always stops at 55% and then fails with Error Code: 0x022403 and says "Update Error. Restart the device and retry."

I have also tried updating the firmware using the DJI Go 4 app on my tablet and the update fails there as well.

Does this mean that I need to take apart the aircraft and apply new thermal paste?
2021-4-8
Use props
BigGrizzly
lvl.1

Russia

Hello friends in misfortune! My drone has the problem described in this thread. Please advise a solution.
2022-7-26
Use props
MaCJaX
lvl.4
Flight distance : 444193 ft
  • >>>
United States

This is an issue with the video encoder board in the gimbal. The second board down from the main power board. Thermal paste might fix it but most likely, it will need to be replaced. I replaced mine and it fixed all the issue, included updating firmware as a defective board will not accept a firmware update causing it to fail. Don't forget to clean and add new, fresh thermal paste.

2023-9-1
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules