Linking canceled due to shooting timeout
2559 18 2018-2-6
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Linny&HerSpark
Second Officer
Flight distance : 20830 ft
United States

Took a short flight today and received an error when attempting to take a panorama photo. I could see the Spark managed to get off one shot and then I received an error message that stated Linking canceled due to shooting timeout. It took 3-4 tries but I did manage to get one successful 180 pano. I can only assume that the timeout occurred because the gimbal was not able to move properly. Why would something like that happen out of the blue? I do not own a filter for the camera lens. I do use a gimbal cover when I store the Spark in its case but other than that, there's nothing obscuring it. At least nothing that I can see. How would I check to make sure there's no debris around the gimbal? Even though I managed to get a successful pano, I'd like to make sure there's nothing stuck in there that will come back and haunt me later.
During the flight, I also received a warning message about some interference so I flew the Spark back to me immediately. But when I checked the flight log, there was no warning. Yet, I know that the upper left corner of my phone screen flashed orange with a warning message about interference. http://www.phantomhelp.com/logviewer/0PPXXJXIV1INV8H9HY51/

Other than these weird things, I had a blast flying today. Getting more comfortable zipping around in GPS mode (as opposed to Beginner). Tried Active Tracking today and it's pretty neat. Now if I can only figure out why I'm not able to get a video when I use it. LOL. All in good time.

2018-2-6
Use props
Bing Err
Captain
Flight distance : 9249964 ft
  • >>>
United States

Strange. I have only had this happen a few times. When it happened to me it seemed like the Spark was having a hard time exposing the frame and was confused by lighting. Like I said, it rarely happens to me so I'm not sure, but it HAS happened. Hope it was just a glitch.*sorry I'm not much help
2018-2-6
Use props
dj_dread
First Officer
Flight distance : 648399 ft
Denmark

it happened to me couple of times and that was due to the exposure. at least that was my interpretation of the issue. sunny day, a lot of reflections.
2018-2-7
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Haven’t seen it before, would it have anything to do with speed of your sd card.

Nothing in your flight log regarding interference.
2018-2-7
Use props
Kloo Gee
First Officer
Flight distance : 16783757 ft
  • >>>
United States

Do you have an ND Filter attached to your lense or do you have one of those sun hoods on?
2018-2-7
Use props
Linny&HerSpark
Second Officer
United States

Kloo Gee Posted at 2018-2-7 08:14
Do you have an ND Filter attached to your lense or do you have one of those sun hoods on?

No filter or hood. Only use a gimbal cover when transporting to protect it. I remove the cover before flying.
2018-2-7
Use props
Linny&HerSpark
Second Officer
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 2018-2-7 08:11
Haven’t seen it before, would it have anything to do with speed of your sd card.

Nothing in your flight log regarding interference.

The card I have is a SanDisk 32GB Extreme Plus. To be honest, I have no clue as whether the speed of that card would have to do with anything I experienced. If I need to get a different card, I have no problem with that.

I could not see anything in the log relating to interference either, which has me puzzled. I was flying over a golf course and was all set to head to the tee box for that hole and back. I saw the orange warning flash, saw the word "interference", and made it a priority to fly it back to me, thinking I will see the full message in the flight log later on. I find that really strange that it did not show up anywhere. Nothing in the CSV file either. Not sure what is in the KML file since I don't have an app that will open it and all I see in the DAT file is hieroglyphics.
2018-2-7
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Linny&HerSpark Posted at 2018-2-7 10:03
The card I have is a SanDisk 32GB Extreme Plus. To be honest, I have no clue as whether the speed of that card would have to do with anything I experienced. If I need to get a different card, I have no problem with that.

I could not see anything in the log relating to interference either, which has me puzzled. I was flying over a golf course and was all set to head to the tee box for that hole and back. I saw the orange warning flash, saw the word "interference", and made it a priority to fly it back to me, thinking I will see the full message in the flight log later on. I find that really strange that it did not show up anywhere. Nothing in the CSV file either. Not sure what is in the KML file since I don't have an app that will open it and all I see in the DAT file is hieroglyphics.

You won’t have any problems with sandisk extreme. That’s one of the best out there.
2018-2-7
Use props
Linny&HerSpark
Second Officer
United States

Bing Err Posted at 2018-2-6 21:27
Strange. I have only had this happen a few times. When it happened to me it seemed like the Spark was having a hard time exposing the frame and was confused by lighting. Like I said, it rarely happens to me so I'm not sure, but it HAS happened. Hope it was just a glitch.*sorry I'm not much help

Gosh, I hope it's that simple! The lighting was really flat but there was some contrast the Spark could have picked up on to complete the pano.
2018-2-7
Use props
S-e-ven
Captain
Flight distance : 5922034 ft
  • >>>
Thailand

I had timeouts, too.
And just saying, my reasons dont neccessary need to be the reasons for your timeouts!
But I had plenty, sometimes, often in windy conditions. But that makes it only easier to spot, it happenes with or without wind.
My Spark has a little gimbal problem, so to speak,  where it stucks sometimes.
And b/c it 'timed out' always on the top picture row, I think now that in my case it was the faulty gimbal.
(I write was, b/c my spark is on the way to the service (again)!)
Also this is difficult to realize in case you fly cam down mostly.
It seems always to work fine with cam down and after that, till one of the next times, the gimbal 'wanna' climb in upper regions.
But you can spot it, in case it happens, b/c the gimbal is not stabilizing any forward move in p- or even tripod-mode
And tripod mode (gimbal up to the top) was 'my weapon' of choice, to trigger the stucking for the videos, I created last week about this.
Test it out, maybe.
And if it only confirms that it is not this reason!
Good luck!
2018-2-7
Use props
Linny&HerSpark
Second Officer
United States

This is the one pano I took that worked so you can see the type of day it was when I made the attempt to perhaps rule out a contrast issue. It's not a very good photo but I wanted to see if I could spot what the Spark was doing when the error message came up and of course no error happened. I made one more attempt after this one and my phone battery died so I had to call it a day. I am so glad I had the controller and was able to land the Spark with no issue.

IMG_2781.jpg
2018-2-7
Use props
DJI Elektra
DJI team
Hong Kong

Linny&HerSpark Posted at 2018-2-7 10:03

I could not see anything in the log relating to interference either, which has me puzzled. I was flying over a golf course and was all set to head to the tee box for that hole and back. I saw the orange warning flash, saw the word "interference", and made it a priority to fly it back to me, thinking I will see the full message in the flight log later on. I find that really strange that it did not show up anywhere. Nothing in the CSV file either. Not sure what is in the KML file since I don't have an app that will open it and all I see in the DAT file is hieroglyphics.

Linny, please provide me the screenshot of the error message. Did your gimbal work well now? It will be helpful if you can provide us a video and see if your gimbal work normally.  
2018-2-7
Use props
Linny&HerSpark
Second Officer
United States

DJI Elektra Posted at 2018-2-7 20:59
Linny, please provide me the screenshot of the error message. Did your gimbal work well now? It will be helpful if you can provide us a video and see if your gimbal work normally.

How do I provide a screenshot of an event that has passed? The first occurrence of the error message is in the log I provided.
I did record a video and have provided a snippet of it for you. It starts where I had received the warning message about the interference (which never showed up in the log -- why?) and was flying it back toward me to get it away from there. There is some gimbal movement that is jerky but it's very possible that I caused it. My next plan was to take a series of panos at different altitudes and that didn't work out very well either. The video ends when I begin to take the pano that gave me the error in the log.

2018-2-8
Use props
fansab47a1fd
New
Australia

I have the same problem every time I try to take a pano pic. I have never been able to successfully take one. Should I send it back for repairs?  I have ordered a new sd card thinking that the current one might not be fast enough, but after reading this I’m starting to think maybe my spark is faulty???
2018-4-25
Use props
LouisP
Second Officer
Flight distance : 41952 ft
United States

I might be wrong but i THINK that when it is taking a pano, the gimble moves a little further UP than is possible to move it manually.  I say this because the props are usually visible in the upper pano shots but not when the gimble is pointing straight ahead..  so, it could be that it is binding a little when it tries to tilt up to that extreme position.
2018-4-25
Use props
djiuser_mknsgHLhrI2Q
lvl.1

Canada

Hi I tried 2 panos today and got the same, Linking canceled due to shooting timeout.
Both attempts it happen around picture 42 out of 46.

My Spark is about 3 weeks old.
2018-7-8
Use props
AJ Carey
New

United States

I had the same problem while attempting a spherical pano with a Ultimaxx CPL filter on my Spark.  Received the first message before getting the first shot.  I landed and removed the filter.  Relaunch and put the drone in the same spot as before and tried again.  It worked perfectly.  It appears that the filter prevent the gimbal from rising high enough for the first shot.
2019-7-17
Use props
Marcio Sousa
New

Brazil

Embora a discussão seja antiga, tive esse problema com meu Spark, já estava quase desistindo quando achei um tutorial no youtube em que foi ensinado o ajuste do Gimball e conseguir solucionar o problema.
Não sei se pode postar o link aqui mas conseguir solucionar o problema no meu Spark.
2020-8-25
Use props
Lipofskyphotodo
lvl.1

United States

In the gimbal menu, enable 30 degree tilt limit. That should fix it.
2021-10-13
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules