Not better than Spark
12Next >
3926 47 2018-2-6
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Supong
lvl.4
Thailand

Without 4K camera and 3D gimbal, I found that the Mavic Air is no better than Spark. The video feed diatance is almost the same after the DJI Go 4 automatically reconfigure the wifi configuration to match Thailand. 5.8 GHz caused video signal choppy at distance around 100 m.(Spark can do better). The selection to 2.4 Ghz is reset to 5.8 everytime the RC is restart. And to use 2.4 GHz I must select custom channel.
2018-2-6
Use props
MiniPalourde
lvl.4
Flight distance : 7 ft
Canada

You cannot simply ignore the 4k camera and 3 axis gimbal. Those are not small features. Like, you simply cannot do that.

Also, the Mavic Air has double the flight time. You'll get about 10 minutes with your Spark and 20 with your Mavic Air.

I don't know about Thailand, but in normal places like USA or Canada you will get a much better range with the Mavic Air. The 2.4 ghz only goes to 5.8 ghz when it estimates that it is the best option.

The Mavic Air also has additional sensors, onboard memory and this kinda stuff. The Mavic Air is a huge upgrade to the Spark.
2018-2-6
Use props
Supong
lvl.4
Thailand

Yes, I agree with that. But without reliable link establishment, I cannot be confident to fly MA anywhere. And that makes it no better than Spark. Probably, newer DJI quads may be the same regardless of the specifications. Now I rely on Mavic Pro and P4/P4P/P4A/I1v2 and I2  with old firmware for my mission. I can fly these quads with very reliable connection.
2018-2-6
Use props
Supong
lvl.4
Thailand

By the way, Thailand is not an odd place. We just don’t have DT.

2018-2-6
Use props
Bigplumbs
First Officer
Flight distance : 620164 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

MiniPalourde Posted at 2018-2-6 21:23
You cannot simply ignore the 4k camera and 3 axis gimbal. Those are not small features. Like, you simply cannot do that.

Why do you think the US and Canada is a Normal Place and others are not.

I can assure you that a lot of the rest of the world might consider the US to be far from Normal especially at the moment with old straw hair in charge
2018-2-6
Use props
cyborg
lvl.4
Flight distance : 123960 ft
Singapore

Thailand is very normal place, and very beautiful too including the people

Btw, just curious, what range do your MA get there ? and regarding the comparison with spark, i think the 3-axis gimbal and additional flight time is a big plus (if you don't do 4k) , the gimbal alone brings a ton of improvement especially flying with a bit of wind.
2018-2-6
Use props
cyborg
lvl.4
Singapore

Bigplumbs Posted at 2018-2-6 23:27

I can assure you that a lot of the rest of the world might consider the US to be far from Normal especially at the moment with old straw hair in charge

Canada isn't doing any better with their "peoplekind" and "hu-peoples".. it's gone the other extreme
2018-2-6
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13877205 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Now thats something we agree on - well said!
2018-2-7
Use props
A CW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Supong Posted at 2018-2-6 23:20

I don't think he meant it is an odd place but ones which are FCC compliant to enable a better transmission range.
2018-2-7
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

I take it you mean just for Thailand. , my MavAir reverts to 2.4ghz, it’s a pretty sweeping statement and it seems that you are judging it only on the fact that you turned it on.
2018-2-7
Use props
Supong
lvl.4
Thailand

According to the specification. Both Spark and Mavic Air, for non FCC country, the transmitting power are the same.

2.4 GHz, Less than 18 dBm for CE/SRRC/MIC
5.8 GHz. Less then 14 dBm for CE, Less then 26 dBm for SRRC

This apply to every country, non FCC
2018-2-7
Use props
Supong
lvl.4
Thailand

And thus, US is not normal.

2018-2-7
Use props
A CW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

It’s the position of the antenna on the Mavic Air that mainly improves the range over the Spark as it’s omnidirectional.
2018-2-7
Use props
Supong
lvl.4
Thailand

That improves range in widely open field.  But in my air field it does not help.

I suspect that newer dji quads will use this same technology because it is simple to comply with the regional regulation.

So... farewell long range quads.
2018-2-7
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

I would say Spark is a great drone.
With its limitations.

The Air is even better in almost every area.
Only the price and durability (the fold-able design might be a little less durable.) are better on the Spark in my opinion.

So they have their own purpose
2018-2-7
Use props
Zzz_01
lvl.2
Flight distance : 111129 ft
Slovakia

You mean real 13-14 min on Spark and real 17-18 min on Mavic Air? 3-4 min difference.  Also recent issues with cold weather... I was tempted to sell Spark and get Air, but I think I will wait a while
2018-2-7
Use props
28wins
lvl.3

United States

"[...] in normal places like USA or Canada"

Only an imbecile and ignorant person would write something like this.

2018-2-7
Use props
28wins
lvl.3

United States

Zzz_01 Posted at 2018-2-7 06:21
You mean real 13-14 min on Spark and real 17-18 min on Mavic Air? 3-4 min difference.  Also recent issues with cold weather... I was tempted to sell Spark and get Air, but I think I will wait a while

Don't do it.

I have the P4, Spark and MA.

The Spark is the best, less noisy, most convenient to carry/ travel with and use of the 3.

The MA has no USB charging, is bigger and heavier for features which make a disproportionate small difference in regular real world usage.
I personally don't care about 4K because sharing the footage means that it will inevitably be downgraded to something smaller and 2 axis gimbal has been been a problem for me.

The battery autonomy is only better by mere minutes on the MA. Not enough to matter.
2018-2-7
Use props
Far_North
Second Officer
Flight distance : 278379 ft
Canada

You mean real 13-14 min on Spark and real 17-18 min on Mavic Air? 3-4 min difference.  Also recent issues with cold weather... I was tempted to sell Spark and get Air, but I think I will wait a while

I agree about the vibration and shaking issue.  I will wait to see how this issue, and it is an issue, is addressed by DJI.  
2018-2-7
Use props
lovec1990
lvl.2
Flight distance : 36158 ft
Slovenia

Whats with the all the hate Air is getting first its attacked by PRO owners now its attacked by Spark owners ?
2018-2-7
Use props
MiniPalourde
lvl.4
Canada

28wins Posted at 2018-2-7 06:41
"[...] in normal places like USA or Canada"

Only an imbecile and ignorant person would write something like this.

Funny how you immediately assume that I'm racist. Talk about a drama queen!

Normal places as in places with the habitual regulations concerning radio waves and frequencies. I never said that Thailand wasn't normal, I simply said that I DON'T KNOW ABOUT THAILAND and that USA and Canada have those habitual regulations concerning the frequencies and stuff.
Not surprising for someone who told OP that the Spark is better than the P4 and Mavic Air...

2018-2-7
Use props
MiniPalourde
lvl.4
Canada

You mean real 13-14 min on Spark and real 17-18 min on Mavic Air? 3-4 min difference.  Also recent issues with cold weather... I was tempted to sell Spark and get Air, but I think I will wait a while

People have been reporting a flight time of 10 minutes on the Spark. You WILL NOT get 13-14 minutes unless you're in optimal conditions.
2018-2-7
Use props
MiniPalourde
lvl.4
Canada

Supong Posted at 2018-2-6 23:20

I know You're disagreeing that Canada and USA are normal places? Because that's the only thing I've said about countries being normal. I didn't say anything about Thailand

Please stop being racist. Canada and USA are normal places and you shouldn't disagree with that.
2018-2-7
Use props
MiniPalourde
lvl.4
Canada

Bigplumbs Posted at 2018-2-6 23:27

I did NOT say that other countries were not normal. I said that I DON'T KNOW ABOUT OTHER COUNTRIES.

Saying that Canada and USA are normal places doesn't mean that other countries are not normal...
2018-2-7
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

MiniPalourde Posted at 2018-2-7 07:16
I know  You're disagreeing that Canada and USA are normal places? Because that's the only thing I've said about countries being normal. I didn't say anything about Thailand

I think that you associate Canada and USA as normal you should try to explain why you singled them out as being normal, it could be that you think the rest of the world is above normal. (Just Checking) lol
2018-2-7
Use props
cyborg
lvl.4
Singapore

hallmark007 Posted at 2018-2-7 07:22
I think that you associate Canada and USA as normal you should try to explain why you singled them out as being normal, it could be that you think the rest of the world is above normal. (Just Checking)

i believe miniP didn't mean it in a bad way,  it's kinda funny if you just imagine that line was spoken by trump    and Thais will be the last ppl to get offended by something, they are so nice.
2018-2-7
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

cyborg Posted at 2018-2-7 07:29
i believe miniP didn't mean it in a bad way,  it's kinda funny if you just imagine that line was spoken by trump    and Thais will be the last ppl to get offended by something, they are so nice.

I fully understand what he meant, it wouldn’t have bothered me in anyway, my comment was tongue and cheek.
2018-2-7
Use props
MiniPalourde
lvl.4
Canada

hallmark007 Posted at 2018-2-7 07:22
I think that you associate Canada and USA as normal you should try to explain why you singled them out as being normal, it could be that you think the rest of the world is above normal. (Just Checking) lol

Because that's the countries I live in. I'm either in Florida or in Quebec so I don't know about other countries.  
2018-2-7
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

MiniPalourde Posted at 2018-2-7 07:48
Because that's the countries I live in. I'm either in Florida or in Quebec so I don't know about other countries.

I would say having visited many that they’re all pretty normal I think!!!

“Everything was perfectly healthy and normal here in Denial Land.”
2018-2-7
Use props
fansa7dc5944
lvl.4
Flight distance : 50988 ft
  • >>>
Thailand

Come on.... I am just making fun. Don't be serious. I just can't help

2018-2-7
Use props
fansa7dc5944
lvl.4
Flight distance : 50988 ft
  • >>>
Thailand

But I am serious about the reliable connection between the RC and MA.  MA may be my last quads to buy. I prefer reliable connection but limited altitude and range than unreliable connection at any range. MA does impress me in many ways. Fast satellite syncing, 4 K video, 3D gimbal, backward obstruction avoidance. But unreliable connection makes me feel unsafe to fly. Uncontrollable aircraft is scary.
2018-2-7
Use props
Surface2Air
Second Officer
Flight distance : 167441 ft
Canada

MiniPalourde Posted at 2018-2-7 07:48

Those are my 'footprints' too.. so far ;) Miami & Montreal
2018-2-7
Use props
MiniPalourde
lvl.4
Canada

Surface2Air Posted at 2018-2-7 09:17
Those are my 'footprints' too.. so far ;) Miami & Montreal

tabarnak de calice jcroyais que j'étais lseul québécois
2018-2-7
Use props
MiniPalourde
lvl.4
Canada

A CW Posted at 2018-2-7 01:16
Now thats something we agree on  - well said!

The odds of this happening are equivalent to winning the lottery. Today is a lucky day  
2018-2-7
Use props
Surface2Air
Second Officer
Flight distance : 167441 ft
Canada

@MiniPalourde
lol - ben non
2018-2-7
Use props
A CW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

MiniPalourde Posted at 2018-2-7 10:13
The odds of this happening are equivalent to winning the lottery. Today is a lucky day

It's rare when I agree but true - what you wrote is spot on! Get a lotto ticket and if you win you can but that manned drone with no pilot LOL
2018-2-7
Use props
MiniPalourde
lvl.4
Canada

A CW Posted at 2018-2-7 10:23
It's rare when I agree but true - what you wrote is spot on! Get a lotto ticket and if you win you can but that manned drone with no pilot LOL

I'll buy a 20$ drone before just to make sure I know how to passenger the manned drone with no pilots
2018-2-7
Use props
A CW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

MiniPalourde Posted at 2018-2-7 10:31
I'll buy a 20$ drone before just to make sure I know how to passenger the manned drone with no pilots

But you've got a Mavic for that but yeah, for the OP to state "Without 4K camera and 3D gimbal, I found that the Mavic Air is no better than Spark" is not facing up to the fact that those are significant upgrades. It's a bit like saying 'if the Inspire 2 wasn't able to record 6K with a detachable 360 gimbal and dual remote it is no different to the P4P'.
2018-2-7
Use props
HomePoint
Second Officer
Flight distance : 776007 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Keep on topic guys, the last part of this thread got extremely boring.
2018-2-7
Use props
A CW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

HomePoint Posted at 2018-2-7 10:39
Keep on topic guys, the last part of this thread got extremely boring.

How is quoting the OP off topic?
2018-2-7
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules