Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Flying from a boat
1374 13 2018-2-6
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Salmonslayer
Second Officer
Flight distance : 100220 ft
Canada

I have spacifically purchased my P3S to fly film my fishing adventures from my 21 ft boat. So here is the scenario
When we hook into the fish I want to hand release the P3S ( which I have lots of land experience doing), then film the catch. The boat will be moving all over as we will not be anchored and at times chasing the fish.
Now the issue is this, what is the best way to control a loss off connection causing a RTH.
I was thinking, first set the RTH altitude to 40 ft and the RTH action to Hover. This would enable me to get the boat under the P3S, giving me time to reconnect if possible if not upon a force landing I could attempt to capture the drone with a large net or hand if lucky.
What do u think (please be constructive with your responses, again the sole purpose of this drone for me is to film fishing adventures on the open ocean) thanks!
2018-2-6
Use props
Labroides
Captain
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

You will be quite close to the boat.  Do you experience loss of signal at close range?
2018-2-7
Use props
Jeff Millard
First Officer
Flight distance : 503635 ft
  • >>>
United States

Being quite serious. There are third party floatation devices made for drones. They’re clunky, and don’t look like they’d save a tissue. But if I was solely filming over water, I’d look into one. Another thing, they make tracking devices for animals that has been converted for use on drones. See here.

Jeff
2018-2-7
Use props
Hellsgate
Captain
Flight distance : 1991555 ft
Australia

Set loss of conection to hover instead of rth.
You could also decrease the altitude so that it hovers at an altitude you can reach if need be from the highest part of the boat even if that means using a net to catch it.
2018-2-7
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13838848 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Yep - set failsafe to hover and not RTH and use your dynamic home point feature if you are using a cellular device.
2018-2-7
Use props
ALABAMA
Captain
Flight distance : 10442687 ft
United States

Concentrate on the lunker.  You can always buy another drone, lol
2018-2-7
Use props
iFlyMyDrone.com
First Officer
Flight distance : 740548 ft
United States

Beware of the critical low battery setting. If the drone hits critically low battery and it is within 60 feet of the home point, it will land itself, where ever it is. In this case, close only counts in horse shoes and hand grenades. Bottom line: you do not want to ever hit critical low battery when flying from a boat.

I fly over water all the time, the difference being that I fly from shore and over the ocean. One of my practices is that I ensure that my home point is more than 60 feet from the shore.
2018-2-7
Use props
Salmonslayer
Second Officer
Canada

Labroides Posted at 2018-2-7 01:11
You will be quite close to the boat.  Do you experience loss of signal at close range?

Nope but want to be prepared , wouldn't really hurt I feel to make a simple switch from "land" to hover and "150 feet" to "30 feet" , if it MIGHT be needed ... just me I guess to cover as many basis as possible
2018-2-7
Use props
Salmonslayer
Second Officer
Canada

Jeff Millard Posted at 2018-2-7 02:21
Being quite serious. There are third party floatation devices made for drones. They’re clunky, and don’t look like they’d save a tissue. But if I was solely filming over water, I’d look into one. Another thing, they make tracking devices for animals that has been converted for use on drones. See here.

Jeff

Ya , thanks Jeff , looked into them and might consider especially since the ocean waves when fishing are minimal or rolling , they definitely are  a consideration
2018-2-7
Use props
Salmonslayer
Second Officer
Canada

A CW Posted at 2018-2-7 03:24
Yep - set failsafe to hover and not RTH and use your dynamic home point feature if you are using a cellular device.

Hey A CW, thanks !
Whats your reason for dynamic home point usage ?
2018-2-7
Use props
Salmonslayer
Second Officer
Canada

ALABAMA Posted at 2018-2-7 06:12
Concentrate on the lunker.  You can always buy another drone, lol

Hahaha, yea for sure
2018-2-7
Use props
Salmonslayer
Second Officer
Canada

iFlyMyDrone.com Posted at 2018-2-7 07:23
Beware of the critical low battery setting. If the drone hits critically low battery and it is within 60 feet of the home point, it will land itself, where ever it is. In this case, close only counts in horse shoes and hand grenades. Bottom line: you do not want to ever hit critical low battery when flying from a boat.

I fly over water all the time, the difference being that I fly from shore and over the ocean. One of my practices is that I ensure that my home point is more than 60 feet from the shore.

Ya for sure will be bringing her back at about 40 at the min 30% battery remaining , not even going to chance it , thanks for the heads up and concern  iFlyMyDrone  
2018-2-7
Use props
iFlyMyDrone.com
First Officer
Flight distance : 740548 ft
United States

Salmonslayer Posted at 2018-2-7 09:18
Hey A CW, thanks !

If I can answer for A CW... Dynamic Home Point sets the home point to where the controller is and not the point of take off. Boats drift, even ones at anchor will swing with the wind and currents. Therefore, it is better for your bird to RTH where ever the controller is, because the take off point could be slightly different from where the controller is.
2018-2-7
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13838848 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Salmonslayer Posted at 2018-2-7 09:18
Hey A CW, thanks !

You can set the HP mid flight for the drone to return-to-home at your new location (moving boat) or it's location (if the boat is moving to the drone) should you set failsafe to RTH.
2018-2-7
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules